This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Member, New user.

manwithplan46151 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
I would like to introduce myself as the guy that knows nothing about a gps except this one looked good, price was right and I like what I see so far. I just got it this week. My very first GPS ever. I used it today and it took me right where I was going with no issues.....I will say once again...I did nothing except open the package and use it. Is there anyone that has the time for a phone call and walk thru some simple things to help me farther know about this unit? I would like to know how to download skins, understand the GPS better, etc.....Just a few minute call would be appreciated. Anyone with a willing heart that would care to help me Please PM me. I am going to Fl on vacation soon and plan on using this to get around there. Thx again. I am willing to pay for your time, If your not a lawyer or doctor LOL...Thx. Danny!

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Unfortunately I was just writing a long reply to your request and it all just disappeared when I apparently hit the wrong damn key combo. :twisted: It's late and I will try again tomorrow, sorry.

In the meantime, right now make a backup of all the files on your Moto TN765 to your hard drive or possibly a thumb drive. Use the USB cable that came with it. It will mount as a removable drive possibly called "flashdisk" Forget about using the internal SD card slot for anything now even though it will mount as a 2nd removable drive.

Where did you buy your gps? Is it a TN765 or TN765t?

P.S. Hold on to your sale receipt. One possible deal breaker for you may be the fact that Motorola has pretty much dropped support for this line of gps and there is no map update looming in our future. Otherwise it is a pretty decent gps and certainly does work. I used mine a month or so ago and it got us to Florida and back OK - although I had several other gps backup devices, but the Moto did OK.
  • I bought it from walmart.com......I thought the ad for it said 765T,......But just looked at the box...It says 765...The unit itself doesnt say either. At the bottom right corner of box says 765....Just looked at the website.....It is a 765. Thx again.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    If it was about $129 then that model does not have the free traffic feature, which IMHO isn't all it is cracked up to be. If that is important to you then you need to get the TN765t that Amazon sells for about $7.00 more.
  • Im not worried alot about all of that right now....I already have this one...I just been reading where you can update, upload skins, Just different things. I am not computer savy at all. I don't really mean to sound dumb, But I don't do the computer alot...I don't know anything about loading, backing up files, etc etc....Thats kinda what I need to learn....I just pulled it out of the box, And used it today....I did plug in the usb port tonight and it said update I did that....LOL I dont even know where to look for that.....I just thought I could find out more about it here on a forum...I have learn alot about my motorcycle from a motorcycle forum is the reason I thought of this....Thx for any help you can be..I do appreciate it. Danny!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    One other thing - I just read your reply to DHN in the GPS Discussion forum and believe me he was not giving you crap. He is one of the forum moderators, a very nice guy (although he uses Tom Toms but we don't hold that against him.) :lol: And keep in mind that your interpretation of the written words may not be anywhere close to what the writer was trying to convey. Too many people go off because of their own current state of mind or frustration or perception of others in general. We try to keep things calm and civil on this site and nobody flames anybody. You'll get the information you need, but it may take some time.

There is also the "official" Motonav web site at: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/motonav?view=discussions&start=0 you may want to take a look at.
  • One other thing - I just read your reply to DHN in the GPS Discussion forum and believe me he was not giving you crap. He is one of the forum moderators, a very nice guy (although he uses Tom Toms but we don't hold that against him.) :lol: And keep in mind that your interpretation of the written words may not be anywhere close to what the writer was trying to convey. Too many people go off because of their own current state of mind or frustration or perception of others in general. We try to keep things calm and civil on this site and nobody flames anybody. You'll get the information you need, but it may take some time.

There is also the "official" Motonav web site at: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/motonav?view=discussions&start=0 you may want to take a look at.
    Thats no problem, I did take it as a slap across the face in a nice way. I stated I was new to the site and to GPSs'. I really didn't need to be treated like a child with the begining of the remark he made to me....I might have took it wrong, I do oppoligize. I just thought he should have understood I was new, and stay away from the first part of his statement, and direct me to where I needed to be. Anyway....I would like to get help here...But I rather not have explain and beg for it. LOL The gps works for me for what I bought it for. I guess if the moderator or anyone else has a problem with me saying how I feel, (kinda like he, and you just did) I wont be getting help here. Got to talk to people the way ya want to be talked to is what I say. Read the first couple lines of the statement and go back to your first time here and say how you would feel if someone said that to you. Anyway... help if ya wanna, If ya don't....No problem I will move on. Thx again. I am probably asking to much to ask to learn about something new.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    OK, that said, let's move on.

When you say you did an update to the gps how did you accomplish it? Did you use MotoExtras Toolbox?

Did you see something like this?

Why not give us a list of the specifics you need to know and we can either point you in the right direction to currently posted info or just answer it directly?

On another note, and I don't usually preface each of my posts/statements with "I don't mean to offend", but general forum netiquette dictates that one does not need to quote a post that is directly above your new post. Basically it just takes up server room as I understand it and fills pages too quickly.

You mentioned owning a bike - are you planning to use the PND on it? Have some info on mounting if you do. I own several Hondas.

That's it. Stick around if you want as there are several other very knowledgeable (more than me) guys on here, but they have full time jobs, travel, etc. that will chime in.
  • Thx, All the other things aside. I have never owned one. I didn't see any of the above when IO did update. It says motorola device driver installation. It gives three choices. 1=clean only....2=update drivers..3=clean and reinstall. .I hitupdate divers, it found all the installed drivers and ran thru them and said...drivers updated. I dont know much above that. A phone call would be good for me for a step by step walk thru on the PC. It is hard to undersatnd about it here for me. I didn't see any of the above you listed...........Thx again, Danny
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Are you using a PC or a Mac?
    Sounds to me the update you mentioned was just drivers for the computer to recognize the gps when it was hooked up via the USB cable.

If you are on a Mac you are SOL on getting Motorola updates unless you can run Windows.

In any event you should install a free app called MotoExtras Toolbox. You can get it here: https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal/downloads or better yet, start here: https://motonavmobile.naviextras.com/shop/portal/howtostart

You need to register your gps - not sure if that can be done with the Toolbox or if you need to do it first at the Motorola web site. Here is a blurb from the site:

The MotoExtras Toolbox - Supported platforms: Windows XP / Vista / 7

Please note that Toolbox requires a minimum display resolution of 1024*768.

MOTONAV Toolbox is a FREE Windows utility designed to connect your navigation device with your PC. You must download it to see all available updates, purchase updates, download the necessary files and upload updates and new content to your navigation device.

It can also be used to create and restore backups, and to move or copy contents between the PC and your navigation device.

-------------------------------------------------

Now the backup it mentions is OK, but I would still do a complete backup from the gps to your hard drive just to be safe.

I would also go check out this Moto site: http://bit.ly/fR1Ivy

View or download Moto user manuals here: http://bit.ly/e0Nb68
    # MOTONAV Fact Sheet (pdf)
    # Quick Start Guide (pdf)
    # Traffic Guide (pdf)
    # User Guide (pdf)

That ought to keep you busy for awhile! :)
  • I have been thru all these steps. I got it down as far as all this goes, I am trying to download skins now. I have the files loaded and they are DATA files. The only problem I am having is I don't see or can't do a search and find MOTONAV file top download the skins too. I know how to find the skins, I am just having trouble finding the motonav file to paste them too. Where can i find this? When I plug it in I hear a beep, almost like I got popups blocked......But I haven't. HELP please.........
  • You have an interesting problem. If you take the Motonav and plug it into your USB port, the Motonav should change screens and say "USB Connected" and it should then show up as another drive in My Computer. Then you can click on it to find the folder called "Motonav" where you drop the Data file for the skin you want.

If you don't get this reaction when you plug it into your PC and the Moto is on, then I'm stumped. All I can offer is to do a reset (use a paper clip to push the button on the bottom of the unit next to the micro SD card port) while it's plugged in and see what happens.

The only option you have left is to be sure your USB drivers are up to date on your PC. (do the latest service pack update, etc.).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...