This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navteq Premium Traffic - AD-FREE

Garmin must be listening to complaints about ad-supported traffic. They're now offering a premium subscription for those that are very seriously bothered by those tiny ads.

http://tinyurl.com/3n26gvh

Comments

• SergZak 340 Points
    I believe this has been available for years now. Navteq has two traffic services, one is the free ad-based service, the other is this one which is exactly the same as the ad-based but with no ads.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Perhaps you're right Sergie. Can't say as I've ever seen mention of it before but that doesn't mean anything.

But with some owners complaining so vociferously about the Navteq traffic ads, and only a replacement Clear Channel subscription mentioned as a replacement, I still think this is worth a post.
  • This would have been good with my Garmin C550
    At least my Old C550 was able to pickup traffic from sourthern NJ to many parts of Pa from my house in the Poconos.

But my New 2460LMT
    Does not pickup anything from where I live nottttt like the old C550
    that was much more dependable in traffic from a greater distance...........JT
  • CynicX 0 Points
    Meh, the ads dont bother me since its free traffic for life. Those ads go away when moving anyway. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate though :)
  • That's funny. I had even forgotten that my 765T has that "Ad-Based" traffic.

In D/FW, I cannot remember the last time I saw an ad! And I never spent a dime...
  • philhu 91 Points
    Will this subscrription work on a 1695 (cell-based, but uses NAVTEQ ad-based traffic over cell, not radio).

Anyone know?

Don't wat to purchase and then find I can't select a 1695
  • SergZak 340 Points
    No. GTMxx traffic receivers are incompatible with the nuLink based 1690/1695. If something should happen to the nuLink service for some reason, you cannot fall back to a GTMxx power cord to get traffic.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    edited April 2011
    Phil, I don't think you'd be happy with the change to Navteq Premium using RDS/TMC anyway. The 1695 delivers much more timely traffic data than the non-connected models.
  • navomatic 86 Points
    That's funny. I had even forgotten that my 765T has that "Ad-Based" traffic.

In D/FW, I cannot remember the last time I saw an ad! And I never spent a dime...
    MY 1390T, purchased 12/09, stopped showing ads at some point in DFW. My new 2460LMT showed ads immediately. Maybe it'll stop at some time here. :)

Traffic accuracy has also improved here. I gave up on it at some point, but starting several months ago it became useful enough to leave on. Was that your experience here?
  • RockyBob 0 Points
    I just ordered a garmin 2360 Lmt and am concerned about ads. (my wife thinks popup ads are a non-starter.) am I correct in thnking the ad free option will work on this unit? Thanks for clarifying this.
  • That's funny. I had even forgotten that my 765T has that "Ad-Based" traffic.

MY 1390T, purchased 12/09, stopped showing ads at some point in DFW. My new 2460LMT showed ads immediately. Maybe it'll stop at some time here. :)

Traffic accuracy has also improved here. I gave up on it at some point, but starting several months ago it became useful enough to leave on. Was that your experience here?
    Still hit or miss. Usually all I care about is the GBT and North Central...
  • philhu 91 Points
    Phil, I don't think you'd be happy with the change to Navteq Premium using RDS/TMC anyway. The 1695 delivers much more timely traffic data than the non-connected models.
    Well, my service over cell on my 1695 is still NAVTEQ, isn't it, so I was wondering if I bought a premium Navteq and installed it on the 1695, if it would work?