This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TN765t for $129.99 at Sears

dhave 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
TN765t is $129.99 at Sears right now (April 13, 2011).

I believe this is the lowest price we've seen on the traffic-equipped version.

Comments

• davelac 91 Points
    Yes, I saw it too and was looking for a cheap replacement for my Navigon 2100 max. I'm looking for opinions on the unit overall, considering that I heard that Motorola got out of the GPS business recently.

Bottom line, is the $130 a worthwhile investment even for a year or two worth of use?
  • dhave 0 Points
    Yes, I saw it too and was looking for a cheap replacement for my Navigon 2100 max. I'm looking for opinions on the unit overall, considering that I heard that Motorola got out of the GPS business recently.

Bottom line, is the $130 a worthwhile investment even for a year or two worth of use?
    I think so, especially if you like to try different skins and such. The Moto TN765t is a *lot* more fun to use than the various Garmins I've tried. The only shortcoming is that the maps haven't been updated. This has affected me only a few times and is a trade-off I'm willing to live with.
  • davelac 91 Points
    I keep hearing about these different "skins" What are they and what do they do?
  • dhave 0 Points
    I keep hearing about these different "skins" What are they and what do they do?
    You can read all about it here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21520/x/p1/

Some clever users have figured out how to modify the code for the TN765 so that you can alter the interface in a lot of different ways. It's a lot of fun. I think it's one of the best things about this particular device.
  • dhave 0 Points
    @davelac: And there's a permanent thread here that has some example along with download links:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/21956/x/p1/
  • davelac 91 Points
    Picked up the unit at Sears last night and gave it a try on my ride to work this morning. Looks very nice - I can now see the road names more clearly than on my Navigon.

Is there a way for the POIs to show the branded icons on the map?
  • There are a few icons that are branded (Hampton Inn, BP, and some others) but the frequency depends on what was purchased by Motorola from NavTeq (and what was available from NavTeq) when the maps were purchased. It will show branded icons for everything that's loaded, but there is no way to add to that, that I'm aware of.

Coming from a Navigon (8100T) myself, it was easy to get spoiled, since most of their icons were branded. (Navigon bought their data from Zenrin, who provided Zagat ratings, Exit Guide, and all the junction views. It was really nice 'eye candy'!)
  • davelac 91 Points
    I did notice a few branded icons here and there - my Navigon left me spoiled.

I installed the MotoExtras and did a full backup on the unit and then installed the listed updates including the 2009 Q4 maps. I made the assumption that there won't be any more updates coming out since Motorola is phasing out of the PND business. I guess I could have waited closer to the 60-day limit, but didn't want to chance not being able to get any upgrades in the near future.

I really like the unit for the price and have moved my 7200T into semi-retirement.
  • davelac 91 Points
    So far, so good on the Motonav. Things I like about it:
    1. Relatively fast pickup of GPS signals.
    2. Can read street names easily.
    3. Traffic seems to work well (I didn't notice ads popping up as some have indicated, or maybe i don't know what i should be looking for).
    4. Love the widescreen and split screen view.
    5. Mount that is really secure on the windshield.
    6. Even though POIs aren't branded, with the split screen you can easily read what's coming up along the route.
    7. Best of all, the unit starts up automatically when I start the car!
    8. Easy synch to my Droid 2.

Some things that I can't get used to yet or wish it had.
    1. The 'ding' sound prior to a turn.
    2. Lane turns not as nice as Navigon
    3. Junction View with road signs would be cool to have.
    4. Access to updated maps.
    5. Minimal available support from Motorola.

Like Navigon, it's too bad that Motorola is dropping the line. There's a lot going for it considering that it is somewhat unique given the widescreen format. It's really a nice device.
  • To get rid of "ding":

Add to sys.txt

maneuver_chimes=0

advanced_guidance_ding=0