This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First GPS???

KayBee01 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
This is my first GPS and I have no idea what to do to set it up. I didn't even know you needed a computer to set it up, lol ! Anyway...I have a TOMTOM XL 335 M. What is the first thing to do? Should I call and have them go through the set up with me? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    To set it up and start using it you don't need anything... Just turn it on, answer a couple of questions about things like which language you want to use, and start using it. :)
  • dhn 336 Points
    Also, see my reply to you at tomtomforums.

Link is here:
    http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/25410-first-gps.html
  • KayBee01 0 Points
    thanks for your help...I've checked out other posting. I sent you a reply on other site.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @DHN - You"re gonna love this...I've crossed over to the "Dark side" albeit temporarily. Today at the "French Canadian" store called Target I spotted a TT XXL 530-S on the bottom shelf of a clearance rack for $34.95 US. Could not pass up a bargain (of sorts). Plan to give it to my daughter/son-in-law and they will think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. :lol:

My one question to you - when does the 30-day map update start? First satellite acquisition or connection to TT Home? Currently this one is way behind - App 8.55 and maps v835.2419.
  • mvl 191 Points
    The technical 30 days begins from first power-on (and some GPS movement threshold which I don't think is published anywhere).

If the technical process breaks (eg: the store re-shrinkwrapped a returned product), Tomtom phone support will manually perform an update 30 days from proof-of-purchase date.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Tricky thing is you are now in that calendar window where the new 870 map is due anywhere from mid May onwards.

So, I'd hold off until day 25 or 26 (don't wait longer) before going for the LMG. You don't want to be grabbibg 865 if you could have gotten 870.

But...........you don't want to blow the chance to get at least 865.

You'll know when 870 is released as I'm sure someone will post the info here within a few hours of its release.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Perhaps even a few minutes. 8)