This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Got a new GO 2535 M....anyone else experience these issues?

DaveH 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
To begin with, hello...my first post here.

I purchased a 2535 M this weekend, prior to a 900 mile trip. I had some issues on the road with it that annoy me, and I would like to know: a) if anyone else has noticed any of these quirks; b) if any of them should be considered 'normal' until updates are available; and c) if I have a problem that I would be better off getting rid of. FWIW, I've only used a Nuvi 205W up until this point.

1) Unit did not know the speed limit a lot of the times, and it showed an incorrect speed limit the majority of the time it did show it (slow by 5 mph all the time). Also very sluggish in showing speed limit transitions.

2) Seemed to forget route when I pulled off on an exit to get gas, etc...when pulling back out, it would re-route me in a different direction. It would remain lost until I actually got back on the interstate, where it would re-calculate my route (which was the original route).

3) It seemed to 'lose' the road on numerous occasions; in other words, it would show driving through the woods for a bit. It seems to correlate with areas where the highway splits would separate further apart for whatever reason. I figure the maps were done in the opposite direction, so they relate to those lanes regardless of the actual direction of travel(?).

4) It did not show a major highway closing due to flooding, and did not indicate anything when an Interstate was closed to one lane. This is probably something I'm doing wrong, but the book doesn't say much, and the TT is nt as intuitive as the Nuvi.

5) At almost the last few minutes, it informed me that it had found a quicker (by 37 min) route and prompted me to have it use it. Turns out it was the same route the Nuvi had planned from the start. I was using both GPS side by side so I could compare.

Thanks for any input you guys can give me on this.

I will say that it has a MUCH better display and readout than my Nuvi, and knows more (back) roads. It seems to be quicker than the Nuvi, but again these two GPS's are in different leagues. It would be hard to go back to the Nuvi display.

Comments

• mvl 191 Points
    First off, do you have a 2535 M LIVE?
    1) Unit did not know the speed limit a lot of the times, and it showed an incorrect speed limit the majority of the time it did show it (slow by 5 mph all the time). Also very sluggish in showing speed limit transitions.
    Tomtom speed limit info tends to be worse than Navteq info used by Garmin. Tomtom's don't use the speed limits for IQroutes, so the routing would be unaffected.
    2) Seemed to forget route when I pulled off on an exit to get gas, etc...when pulling back out, it would re-route me in a different direction. It would remain lost until I actually got back on the interstate, where it would re-calculate my route (which was the original route).
    Tomtom's constantly reroute you from where you are to your destination in the fastest way it knows, it ignores "prior route". Are you sure the route you took back to the highway was faster than the one it selected?
    3) It seemed to 'lose' the road on numerous occasions; in other words, it would show driving through the woods for a bit. It seems to correlate with areas where the highway splits would separate further apart for whatever reason. I figure the maps were done in the opposite direction, so they relate to those lanes regardless of the actual direction of travel(?).
    Probably a mapping error where you are driving.
    4) It did not show a major highway closing due to flooding, and did not indicate anything when an Interstate was closed to one lane. This is probably something I'm doing wrong, but the book doesn't say much, and the TT is nt as intuitive as the Nuvi.
    Tomtom non-speed-related alerts are reported via local news stations. Maybe they don't have a contract with the local station, or the area is too remote. It picks up speed-related alerts based on speeds of other drivers who are in the area.
    5) At almost the last few minutes, it informed me that it had found a quicker (by 37 min) route and prompted me to have it use it. Turns out it was the same route the Nuvi had planned from the start. I was using both GPS side by side so I could compare.
    Tomtoms constantly attempt to reroute around traffic. It has a "clearing up factor" where it sometimes ignores slow flow traffic that is too far away, in the hopes that it clears by the time you get there. I've seen it change in the last minute because the traffic became too close to ignore.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Welcome.

Most of the issues seem to be related to faulty map data. The road speed is imbedded in the map data but can be changed using mapshare on the unit.

Losing the route almost seems as if you didn't have a gps lock or a very strong one when you were returning from the gas station. The same for drifting from the actual road.

Unless you have a LIVE model or at least a model with a rds-tmc antenna, it's not going to indicate road closures due to flooding or construction.
  • DaveH 0 Points
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is definitely the 2535 M Live. US60 was closed due to flood waters, and had about a 75-80 mile detour. I figured this would have shown up as an alert for sure....that one was major, and on a heavily travelled highway. I'm going to drive around with it this week and see how it does with conditions/alerts in my area.

As for re-routing away from the interstate each time I stopped for gas or food, it did this EVERY time. I just find it difficult to believe that each time there was a better route than the interstate. But to answer the question, I don't know if it was shorter/quicker, or not.

One curious incident involving the unit 'losing' the road happened in the Land Between The Lakes area. Out of the blue it told me to turn left on a connector between the opposite lanes (they were separated by probably several hundred yards at this point). I made a turn-around as it instructed, and immediately was instructed to make another turn-around....it would have had me driving a circle indefinitely had I continued to do what it instructed. A very remote incident, I know, but enough to raise question.

To clarify, I could still see the road 90% of the time when it lost it, I was shown driving parallel with the road until it locked back in on it. Not a big deal, just an observation that it did this a lot more than my Nuvi does. I still like almost everything about the TT than my Nuvi, both have quirks.