The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

1490T Error while installing map update 2012.10 [SOLVED!]

Lilla 0 Points
1490T (2GB internal memory), current map 2012.40 US & Canada, software version 5.30, battery fully charged. I have a full backup of the nuvi that I can use if necessary. Running Windows 7 with SP1; IE9. AntiVirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) disabled. Power Options set to High Performance. No other apps running. Internet Service is DSL. Computer, modem & router are connected to UPS.

PROBLEM: While installing map update 2012.10 US & Canada. During Step 3 Installing Maps, with 18 of 46 min. for this step remaining. I get this message:

Error (title)
An unexpected error has occurred and the program must close. If you continue to experience this, please contact Garmin customer support.

At this point...
326MB free, so it didn't run out of space
\.SYSTEM\gmapprom.img 1,310,496 KB with todays date -- so the map file got installed!
The following files are still running: Bootstrapper.exe (Garmin app), GarminMapUpdater.exe, GarminMapUpdater_v2.6.11.exe
my.garmin.com reports that 2012.10 map is installed. However, it turned out this map install was incomplete, as explained in SOLUTION below.

Garmin support is closed until tomorrow. It seems that the problem occurred at a critical time. I don't know what to do. Perhaps I should just leave everything connected until tomorrow when I can talk to Garmin. Any ideas on what I should do?

Lilla

SOLUTION. All is well now. I left everything connected and called Garmin this morning.

The tech said that while the map file was there he doubted that all of the files that should be installed actually got installed. This turned out to be true, as you can tell by comparing the amount of free space remaining after the successful install (see below) to the amount of free space remaining after the unsuccessful install (see above).

Here's what Garmin support had me do.
- In Windows Task Manager, do an End Process on GarminMapUpdater.exe and GarminMapUpdater_2.6.11.exe. After doing this, Bootstrapper.exe (a garmin app) stopped on it's own.
- close the browser window and open a fresh one.
- logon to my.garmin.com and restart the map update process.
This time I received this message (I did not receive this message during the fist install): Your device does not have enough space for this region. More space can be deleted by removing music and pictures. These files can be saved to your computer and re-added later.
Backup Location: C:\Users\<useraccountname>\Documents\GarminBackup
Tech support advised me to answer Yes. After doing so, the GarminBackup folder contained 12 .jpg files (300KB), all shipped with the unit.

- Choose Install to device only (the previous time I chose, install to device and computer). Uncheck the box titled "Leave installation files on my computer". Using these settings caused it to use the map file downloaded the first time, saving me 5 hours of download time - which I greatly appreciated. It quickly moved to Step 3 Installing Maps, and this time it completed normally. Yeah!

RESULTS. After the successful install, I now have these files...
\.SYSTEM\JCV\D1279100A.JCV (367,560 KB) - Junction Views
\.SYSTEM\gmapprom.img (1,310,496 KB) - map file

I have now updated two 1490T units. After updating, free space is:
52MB free of 1.76GB (2GB internal memory); POI file is 576KB. My sister's 1490T with basemap 5.0
38.1MB free of 1.76GB (2GB internal memory); POI file is 576KB. My 1490T with basemap 4.0
FYI, I don't know why the 14MB difference as they have idential stuff installed, deleted, etc. I have already sent my sister's unit home, otherwise I would compare and find the difference. I know they have a different basemap (4.0 vs 5.0), perhaps this makes a different, not sure.

To free up space for the map, I deleted all language files except those needed for American English, as indicated below:
\.SYSTEM\EULA (hidden folder). Deleted all folders except American_English
\Help folder. Deleted all folders except American_English
\Keyboards folder. Deleted all files except en_US.kdb
\Text folder. Deleted all files except en_GB*.glx. In my research, one post indicated these files are needed for American English too. However, another post said the files used for Americian English are hidden or bundled or something. In any event, since I am not sure I kept them.
\Voice folder. Deleted all files except English_American*.*

To free up more space, consider...
\.System\SQLite folder (hidden). You can delete the mileage (mlg_history.db) file, the nuvi recreates it on start up so it's perfectly safe to delete. Deleting it can fix a known issue that causes sound/BT problems. Try doing a Master Reset first, as this usually fixes the problem.
Resource: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/22280/x/p1/
Resource: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/20750/x/p1/
\GPX\Archive folder. You can delete *.gpx - these are trip log archives.
\JPEG folder. You can delete all files in this folder. My 1490T contained 12 .jpg files 300KB, all shipped with the unit. You don't need these files. 3 are photos used in favorites for Garmin USA, Garmin Asia, Garmin Europe, the others are photos used to demo the slideshow feature.
\Vehicle folder. 1490T contains 9 files 13.9MB. The default vehicle is car_blue.srf 1.35MB. You can delete the files for any vehicles you don’t use.

To free up more space, you can delete the folders below. They contain files you have added. Again, backup first if you want to restore later.
\Map folder. Added the first time you add a map via MapSource (or other).
\POI folder. Added the first time you use POI Loader to load Custom POI.
\Screenshot folder. Added the first time you use “Screen Shot” capture tool.
This folder is automatically removed when it becomes empty.

Other tidbits. The tech said...
- I could install Mexico (or whatever maps don't fit into main memory) to the microSD card using Garmin's mapinstall.exe program. This program is installed when you install BaseCamp. It is also available as a separate download. The tech said he prefers MapSource over BaseCamp.
- the device does not experience screen burn in when left on for a long time, as I did this time.

I hope this helps someone else.

Lilla

Comments

• sussamb 168 Points
    Are you sure the new map got installed? Or is what you see the old map? In any case I'd risk a restart, but as I've only just seen this post I guess you've either done it or not :wink:

Let us know how you got on.
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    You could try Garmin's support forum here:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180
  • wa3pnt 0 Points
    I am receiving the same error when trying to install the new 2012 North America Map on my NUVI 3790. When running "GarminMapUpdater_v2.6.11.exe" Step 1 (Map Download) completes, Step 2 (Map Preparation) completes, but whie performing Step 3 (Map Installation) I receive the same error screen.

I have restarted the GPS, Rebooted the Computer to no avail.

If I select the "Install to Computer" option, the Updater Program installs the Map into Mapsource.

Has anyone cracked this problem?

George
  • t923347 200 Points
    I have the opposite problem with my 3790. It installed on the Nuvi just fine but I realized I didn't have a copy on my computer for Mapsource to use. Now when I use Mapupdater to "install on computer only" it downloads the map file but then I get an error that it can't install them to my computer.

Not a space issue as I have about 360Gb of free space.
  • romisejo 0 Points
    I had the same problem yesterday.

Originally, I asked the updater to install to both my computer and the nuvi. I did get an error message but I did not unplug the nuvi, I restarted the updater and it completed step 2 and 3 without a hitch both to my computer and the nuvi.

Romi

edit
    PS, this answer was for George
  • Quicktrip 31 Points
    edited May 2011

Here's what Garmin support had me do.
    - In Windows Task Manager, do an End Process on GarminMapUpdater.exe and GarminMapUpdater_2.6.11.exe. After doing this, Bootstrapper.exe (a garmin app) stopped on it's own.
    - close the browser window and open a fresh one.
    Lilla
    I got the error message at about the same point as Lilla in Step 3. I followed the steps she reported from Garmin support, above, but after I logged back in to the Garmin web site, it showed that my maps were up to date and gave me no option restart the download.

My 1450LMT now has a check in the box for the only map set it shows, 2012.10, but I don't know if the full download was installed.

Before beginning the download, I also specified that the new maps be loaded to my computer. When I open Mapsource, the most recent map set it shows is 2011.4.

Guess I'll call Garmin support. Sigh.

EDIT:

Garmin support directed me to go back into my Nuvi and look at the spot where the box was checked to indicate that map set 2012.10 was installed. Below the line with the checked box and the name of the map set, there was a grayed out word that said ALL. The support rep said this indicated that the entire set had been installed, and that I was good to go.

Then he had me log back in to mygarmin.com and "reinstall" the 2012.10 map set onto the computer only. The installation must have been nearly done already, because the reinstallation took less than a minute. Mapsource now shows that 2012.1 is being used.

Maybe this will help someone else.
  • wa3pnt 0 Points
    I had the same problem yesterday.

Originally, I asked the updater to install to both my computer and the nuvi. I did get an error message but I did not unplug the nuvi, I restarted the updater and it completed step 2 and 3 without a hitch both to my computer and the nuvi.

Romi

edit
    PS, this answer was for George
    Thanks for the reply Romi. I wish that had worked for me, but it hasn't. When I get the error, I've tried ending the processes as described above, and then re-running the Map Updater. I've also done a shutdown of both the GPS and the Computer, and done a cold start of the Updater Program without success. I still get the same error.

I've submitted a support request to Germin, and will post the results.

George
  • dcravens 0 Points
    I may have something to add.. I had the same problem with the error message followed by not being able to reinstall the Canada and US map.
    The 1490T showed I had successfully installed the new 2012.10 map. I called Garmin and they advised everything was okay since it indicated it installed.
    Well I backed up my Garmin and proceeded to removed some of the suggested files from the 1490. I then tried to reinstall and everything went fine and completed.

I then backed up the Garmin again. I do not believe that all files were installed the first time. The first backup was 1.6gb and the backup on the completed install was 1.76gb.

I appears not everything got installed the first time. I'm concerned that Garmin support said not to worry and sent me on my way.
  • Lilla 0 Points
    I appears not everything got installed the first time. I'm concerned that Garmin support said not to worry and sent me on my way.
    I too have been concerned that Garmin support has told some people that all is well after their map install failed, just because my.garmin.com showed 2012.10 map as being installed.

In both of our experiences, the amount of free space was less after doing a successful map re-install, confirming that not everything got installed the first time.

Lilla
  • IlDavo 0 Points
    With HUGE THANKS to Lilla and others for guidance, I thought I'd share what I did to discover the cause of "An unexpected error has occurred" with GarminMapUpdater software when attempting to update maps on my Garmin Nuvi 500 while attached via USB to a Windows XP SP2 PC:

Summary: GarminMapUpdater was unable to copy the updated maps to my Garmin Nuvi 500 device due to USB data transfer problems.

How I discovered this:

• - I downloaded and ran the latest GarminMapUpdater (for me: version 2.7.10)
      - I got "An unexpected error has occurred and the program must close. If you continue to experience this, please contact Garmin customer support."
      - I used Windows Task Manager to kill the two GarminMapUpdater processes as advised by Lilla.
      - I opened Garmin's error log at: C:\Documents and Settings\[my account name]\Application Data\GARMIN\Map Update
      - I saw in the log text that GarminMapUpdater was trying to download 3 files to my device during the 3rd step that was failing:

C:\Documents and Settings\[my account name]\Local Settings\Temp\NA.2012.10\GMAPPROM.IMG
      C:\Documents and Settings\[my account name]\Local Settings\Temp\gmaptz.img
      C:\Documents and Settings\[my account name]\Local Settings\Temp\gmapprom1.img

- I saw the following error in the log text: "File copy failed with system error code 121"
    - I used Windows Explorer to try to copy these files to my device, myself (dragged files from the above locations to my Nuvi home directory, directly.)
    - I received the Windows error: "Cannot copy [file_name]: The path is too deep". Research on this error led to a tip that this issue might be caused by the nature of the USB connection between my PC and my device.
    - I disconnected my Nuvi from a USB hub and connected it directly to one of my PC's motherboard-mounted USB ports.
    - I used Windows Explorer to once again attempt copying these files: Success!!!
    - I closed all of the above work and re-ran GarminMapUpdater with my Nuvi now connected directly to my PC motherboard USB port.

Mission accomplished!

Note: My Nuvi 500 still had 571MB of its reported 2.78GB capacity available when the update was completed, so I apparently did not have a Garmin device memory space issue. Your attempts to reproduce the above may find a space-related error or something completely different. At the very least, trying to do for yourself what GarminMapUpdater is trying to do may tell you what's not working -- which is a whole lot more informative than "An unexpected error has occurred... contact Garmin support."

Hope this helps somebody else in this predicament!
  • sussamb 168 Points
    The main 'fix' here was using a direct USB connection rather than going through a USB hub; this is a known cause of connection problems.