This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2100 - No TMC signal in Baltimore/DC

LABTEC 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I bought the Navigon 2100t from staples for $100. It’s a nice unit (I had a Garmin c320 before). I found that the Garmin was A LOT more user friendly but the Navigon has more features at the right price.

I activated the traffic service on Navigon's website and entered the code into the GPS unite. It said traffic was successfully activated. However, I cannot seem to set a TMC signal anywhere! I tried both Baltimore, MD and Washington, DC (both are listed as available locations for traffic). There has to be signal on I-95!

Can someone please help? What do I need to do to get TMC working.

Comments

• I've had no luck yet with it in the Philly area.
  • i'm thinking we might need an external antenna.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't remember, does the 2100 not come with an external antenna-- internal only? On the 7100 I had it came with an internal antenna as well as an external... I certainly needed the external antenna.
  • the 2100 didn't have an external antenna in the box which is why i think an external TMC receiver may be needed

Update: Per Navigon's website "you don't have to purchase any additional hardware – it's already included with your NAVIGON device."
  • the TMC antenna is in the charger wire. that's why mine was not working, i was running off of battery.
  • the TMC antenna is in the charger wire. that's why mine was not working, i was running off of battery.
    Agreed. The power cord is also the Traffic Antenna. But I still dont get any traffic problem notifications. I'll check on the way home tonite. It is foggy as heck here, so there ought to be lots of traffic problems.

I just made up a fictitious route that would take me all over the city, especially to the areas that always have traffic problems. I'll see what happens when I hook up the power cable in the car.
  • Good information above, thanks.

Well I finally managed to activate the traffic so I should be able to receive traffic info the next time I go to Chicago.

One more disappointment. I discovered that the lifetime free traffic does not include the ZAGAT reviews. I assume that would be purchased separately. I think I'll pass based on Tim's review of this on the 7100.
  • It never picked up a radio signal to give me traffic reports,.

I am not real thrilled about that
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I discovered that the lifetime free traffic does not include the ZAGAT reviews.
    I'm not following.
  • So I was able to test out traffic this morning driving into DC. I plugged in the charger and it picked up signal right away. It's pretty nice, even though I didn't need rerouting, I knew what was going on around the major interstates. I'm happy with this unit and it's ability to track traffic. I just wish the antenna was built in. But free traffic for life makes up for the units shortcomings.
  • So I was able to test out traffic this morning driving into DC. I plugged in the charger and it picked up signal right away.
    Are you right downtown? I wonder if their radio station has a very limited broadcast area.

I am in the Philly burbs, only about 18 miles from city hall, so I would think I should get the radio station. So far no good.
  • So I was able to test out traffic this morning driving into DC. I plugged in the charger and it picked up signal right away.

Are you right downtown? I wonder if their radio station has a very limited broadcast area.

I am in the Philly burbs, only about 18 miles from city hall, so I would think I should get the radio station. So far no good.
    Yeh, I drove right into downtown and the the signal never dropped. There are multiple radio stations you can select. I have my TMC reception set at Automatic.
  • I discovered that the lifetime free traffic does not include the ZAGAT reviews.

I'm not following.
    Ordinarially the Navigon 2100 does not come with either Free Lifetime Traffic or Zagat but the box says "Limited Time Promotion Free Lifetime Traffic, value $99" The Zagat survey ratings & reviews however was not included when I tried to activate it. Details on the extra options can be found here Navigon 2100 options
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Got it, thanks. :)
  • i don't see the need to get zagat reviews since the 2100 is lacking POI's. If they update it to include a decent amount of POI's, I might consider getting it.
  • The 2100 Navigon NEEDS to have the car power cable plugged into the mini USB connector (but not into the car power), in order to recieve TMC broadcasts. The TMC antenna is part of the cable.

The 2100 is a great GPS unit for the money - but making the TMC antenna part of the power cable is out and out stupid! Here I have a nice clean looking GPS unit mounted above my car dash - But I need a big clunky cable coiled and hanging on my dash??... duh what German whiz figured that out?

Other Navigon models have a mini phone connector with separate pin-outs for speaker, antenna, etc., so why they changed it is beyond me. They need to release an antenna option consisting of just a mini usb connector with a small antenna wire.
  • Ok Peeple :D - Here is the scoop - I connected a single #24 wire 18" long to pin 4 (designated x ) of the 5 pin mini usb connector on the Navigon 2100.

VIOLA ! I immediatly started receiving strong signals on the GPS unit, most were @ 2 bars or better. :o 8)

So I've ordered a usb solder plug connector, to make a single wire antenna that I can plug into my unit without cluttering my dashboard.

I had to order 25 connectors , so if anywone wants to get one I will be willing to make them up for you. If you're interested, e-mail me.
  • Ok Peeple :D - Here is the scoop - I connected a single #24 wire 18" long to pin 4 (designated x ) of the 5 pin mini usb connector on the Navigon 2100.

I had to order 25 connectors , so if anywone wants to get one I will be willing to make them up for you. If you're interested, e-mail me.

Put me on that list please

PS,
    how far away from NYC can you be and still get a signal?

Put me on that list please

PS,
    how far away from NYC can you be and still get a signal?
    well I'm 80 miles as the crow flys from NYC and I recieve both metro NYC (Long is., NYC, NJ) as well as Hartford area TMC warnings

VIOLA ! I immediatly started receiving strong signals on the GPS unit, most were @ 2 bars or better. :o 8)

So I've ordered a usb solder plug connector, to make a single wire antenna that I can plug into my unit without cluttering my dashboard.

Add me to your list.

Crazy question. What exactly is the buttom on the top left of the 2100 for if not for an antenna?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update

As per page 3 of manual that is for an external antenna. So if it is, why can't we buy one?
  • Crazy question. What exactly is the buttom on the top left of the 2100 for if not for an antenna?
    MPBsr25 as I understand - that top left connector is for an external GPS antenna.
  • Crazy question. What exactly is the buttom on the top left of the 2100 for if not for an antenna?

MPBsr25 as I understand - that top left connector is for an
    external GPS antenna.
    I'm pretty sure that is correct although I couldn't find any link to an external antenna on Navigon's web site. Seems like the external antenna (if available) could have solved your problem of a simple antenna (without the power cord) without you having to create your own.

MPBsr25 as I understand - that top left connector is for an
    external GPS antenna.

I'm pretty sure that is correct although I couldn't find any link to an external antenna on Navigon's web site. Seems like the external antenna (if available) could have solved your problem of a simple antenna (without the power cord) without you having to create your own.
    The bottom left connector is a mini-usb plug for the power cable/tmc reviever. - See page 3 of the user manual
    The top left connector, under the rubber plug, is for an external (optional) gps antenna. - See page 10 of the user manual.

• Can someone please help? What do I need to do to get TMC working.
    I havent been able to get my 2100 working either.
    I just tried to re-enter the activation code (I saved the email they sent) and now it is working fine.

I dont know why, but it is.
  • I'm in LA. Have tried the hard reset, factory defaults, re-entering the activation code, blah, blah, blah. No reception. I live in an area that should be chock full of TMC reception yet not one ounce of signal. Hopefully someone on here will be able to find a universal correction that will fix all of our common problem.
  • I'm in LA. Have tried the hard reset, factory defaults, re-entering the activation code, blah, blah, blah. No reception. I live in an area that should be chock full of TMC reception yet not one ounce of signal. Hopefully someone on here will be able to find a universal correction that will fix all of our common problem.
    Have you tried calling customer support? Please report back with your results because customer support is often what separates the good companies from the not so good. Right now the only companies that I know of that can be rated as having "good" customer support are Garmin and TomTom although I'm sure you would find a lot of people who would disagree with including even those two.
    Same problem here in Philly suburbs.

I called support, got a call back a few days later.
    I have been told that it is a software bug in some units - they were particularly interested in the version number of the windows CE and the program version.

I was told that a fix was due in January, but the guy was honest in saying that he did not know how it would be distributed.