This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Two month old 2535M Live - R.I.P.

egale 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Went to update my two month old 2535M Live yesterday. There were two updates available, software & maps. Everything downloaded, it went through its hour long update process and when it was done, I had a gps with no maps on it. Tried to update it a couple of times with no luck.

Called Tomtom, they had me clear the cache and try again, no luck same outcome.

So in the end they are sending me a new unit AFTER they receive the old one. They say the process takes 10 business days.

They also told me when I get the new unit, don't update it!! The MyTomTom updating software is not quite there yet so wait until that is fixed and ready.

A question I have is when I get the new unit and register it, does my one year of traffic updates reset itself?

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    You'll have to call CS at 866-486-6866 to have them switch the lifetime maps to the new account you'll need to set up for the new device.
  • egale 0 Points
    Thanks dhn!

I wish Tomtom would allow multiple units per email address. I have to make up fake addresses each time I get a new device!
  • dhn 336 Points
    Here's a tip:

Have a gmail account. The reason for it is this.......

Let's say you have an account called 'whatever@gmail.com'.

Well, TomTom considers as separate accounts:
    1. whatever@gmail.com
    2. w.hatever@gmail.com
    3. wh.atever@gmail.com
    etc.....

BUT...........

gmail will send ALL mail to ALL accounts to whatever@gmail.com.

:lol:
  • egale 0 Points
    Thats neat! Good idea!
  • egale 0 Points
    Continuing the saga ...

The bricked 2535 has been sent back and am waiting for the replacement. In the mean time, I bought a new 2535M Live to replace an older Tomtom that is starting to do multiple reboots.

At the advice of Tomtom support, I did not do any updates to the new unit. I did hook it up to register it though but did not install any of the available updates. Haven't had it outside yet but this one last night and this morning could not connect to the HD traffic. After trying to connect, I get a message that there is an error on the Tomtom server and I get a yellow triangle icon on the traffic bar. The other live services work though.

I guess this evening I will call Tomtom again if it still doesn't connect. Is there an easy way of finding out if the problem is truly Tomtom's server or if there is an issue with my GPS.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Did you register with a different email address? You will need CS to transfer your LIVE services to the new account, I suspect.
  • Went to update my two month old 2535M Live yesterday. There were two updates available, software & maps. Everything downloaded, it went through its hour long update process and when it was done, I had a gps with no maps on it. Tried to update it a couple of times with no luck.

Called Tomtom, they had me clear the cache and try again, no luck same outcome.
    how do you clear the cache? i had problems updating as well, but i was able to update after the second try. however, i am concerned that there are unwanted files that remain after the first install and these may be slowing down the unit.
  • offthegrid 91 Points
    I've had this same problem with TomTom. They associate each email address with a unit and a credit card number. I've been through all the clear your cache stuff with them to no avail.

Why they can't have credit card numbers come up as part of account management is beyond me. Probably for the same reason they are having issues with writing software for promised features on units several months old.
    Thanks dhn!

I wish Tomtom would allow multiple units per email address. I have to make up fake addresses each time I get a new device!
  • egale 0 Points
    An update on the second unit which wouldn't connect to traffic.

The support guy first told me it was a sim card problem and they didn't have the ability to fix it at their end yet but hopefully they would in 3 or 4 weeks. I said the unit came with only a year of free traffic and he said that when the issue was resolved, Tomtom would probably credit me for the lost time although he wouldn't guarantee it.

I then asked him to RMA the unit and he said he wouldn't because there was nothing wrong with it!!! I then asked to speak to a supervisor and then after a reboot and a reset, they agreed to RMA this one too.

So now I have two on their way back to Tomtom!!!!