This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

When buying a replacement, any steps to take before use?

imsiegfried 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Hi, I ordered the 340XL to replace my 335 XL that was problematic to say the least, and should have it Thursday. Is there anything I need to do to avoid any potential problems when using a replacement TomTom for the first time? (aside from making a backup of the contents on the GPS into a different folder?)

Should I save the old backup from the Xl 335 for any reason? Or should I uninstall everything that came with previous GPS 335? If so what exactly needs to be uninstalled? Will I have a problem getting the latest map version with the *same* email address?

Anything else I need to be warned about? Any problems with TomTom specifically for Mac users? I'm praying this one will work out of the box. I'm totally new to the GPS world but now that I know what they're about, I can't wait to use one again in the least amount of time possible.

Speaking of which once I make a backup, can I just start using the GPS instead of trying to use the Home software or map updates right away? (That was where the trouble started.)

BTW, I liked the article about acquiring a GPS signal the first time. Very helpful info. Lots of good info on this site.

Thanks!

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Do NOT use the same email address you used for the 335. Use a different one, it doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper format of aaa@bbb.com

Yes, out of the box, make a Finder, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

If you are planning to sell the 335, I'd make sure I restore it to factory defaults to get rid of any custom settings.

The only thing you might want from a backup of the OLD unit is the mapsettings.cfg file from the specific map folder to copy to the new map folder on the 340 but hold off a bit....

You are entitled to a Latest Map Guarantee for the new unit (within 30 days of forst use)

And make sure you charge the new unit for two or three hours before using it.
  • Thank you so much for these tips. I know they will be invaluable.
    I can't wait for the darn thing to arrive now. I'm totally hooked on GPS. :D