This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Automatic Downloader Program for Lifetime Map Owners

For the last few months a number of us have been beta testing a new facility for lifetime map owners to download and install their map updates. Garmin released the product today and it can be downloaded from http://www.garmin.com/lifetimeupdater

Here are the details as posted on the Garmin website:

Garmin Lifetime Updater™

The no-hassle way for devices with nüMaps Lifetime™ subscriptions to get map updates.

Garmin Lifetime Updater continually checks for available map updates and automatically downloads them to your computer. It then alerts you right on your desktop when files are ready to install.

Downloads files automatically to your computer.
No sign-in required.
No web browser required.
Advanced options let you specify download speed and schedules.

Comments

• caryrae 92 Points
    Thanks for the info, pretty neat idea.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I had some issues with the Lifetime updater while attempting to use it for two different devices (each with it's own subscription of course). I had to resort to a manual map install for the 2nd device. Hopefully those identified problems are resolved with the public release.
  • Dewey 81 Points
    Since it automagically downloads to the computer iteslf, will those maps be accessible to MapSource? I was pleasantly surprised to say the least after I purchased my 2460 and did my first map download, only to discover that myDashboard saw my MapSource installation and updated its maps as well. I was running MapSource as a standalone program that I would use to download and view the tracks from my eTrex. Prior to buying the 2460, I was using MapSource's 2006 or 2007 maps that I was able to unlock with my old iQue 3600 purchase.

Dewey
  • t923347 432 Points
    Downloading map updates to the Nuvi andr the computer would always allow you to access those maps in Mapsource. This new updater will be the same so the downloaded maps will be seen my Mapsource.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Hmm, so this will be another service running in the background sucking up computer resources and of course bandwidth when we more or less know the update frequency?

Now if the maps were continuously being updated that would be a different situation but right now its interesting idea but I will skip this one.
  • Seanile 0 Points
    Just installed the updater on my MacBook Pro without incident and it works just fine.

An icon is inserted on the menu bar, the pull down shows update status and preferences. Great idea - thanks.
  • Seanile 0 Points
    Mod - please delete this post, not sure how it duplicated. Thanks.
  • Dewey 81 Points
    As far as bandwidth goes, it has a scheduler that can be reduced all the way down to selected days and hours. Concerning processes, it is a HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Run" command with the "/StartMinimized" option, so I guess you could delete it if you didn't want it ever-running. Like you, I'm not too keen on unnecessary running processes, but I do like the idea of it doing the work for me (downloading), then just having to connect my Nuvi when I feel like a quick update. I'm thinking about deleting the registry entry, and just creating a menu shortcut for those times that I do want it to run.

Dewey
  • Dewey 81 Points
    I attempted to edit my previous post, but I went beyond the 15 minute edit allowance.

UPDATE: Just for grins, I did delete the registry startup key, and created my own menu shortcut. After rebooting, I was able to confirm that there were no processes being alloted to this application. However, once it is started, it will reinstall its startup key. Even when I clicked on my manually created "/StartMinimized" link first, it would still reinstall its own startup key once the application is run.

Dewey
  • Thanks for the heads-up, t923347. I just downloaded the program to my MBP without a hitch. Plugged in my 1450LMT which was recognized immediately and, since I just updated maps a month or so ago, there was no update at this time and received a message stating that.

I elected to not have the program automatically update my laptop but there is a cool little Garmin icon on the top toolbar that allows me to checks for updates any time. Garmin can do good things when it wants to....
  • t923347 432 Points
    Gary Hayman (http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html ) asked a number of questions on another website about this program. I sent the questions on to the Map Technology Team at Garmin and received the following responses which I thought you would be interested in:

Q: How does the program handle the map update when there are more than one Nuvi registered to it?

The program will queue the devices and do updates one at a time. There isn’t a set order, whichever device finds the update first will download first. The program is smart enough to know if the files have already been downloaded once so the second/third/etc device will only download files unique to it.

Q: Is there some special setting that will prevent the map download from occuping more than X% of the CPU for it's activity?

The “Background” download method is specifically designed to only download using only available bandwidth and CPU.

Q: For example, if the download begins in the background and you are a power user, at the moment, will the download take a back-seat while you are busy or will your primary work be slowed or effected in some way?

You should not notice a Background download if you are actively working on your computer. It is no more resource intensive than a download of a security patch by Windows Update.

Q: If you have the preferences set to save the map to your computer, what kind of a notice do you receive telling you to connect your nuvi to the computer to receive the new map?

If your install is to Computer Only, you will receive a notice that new maps are ready to install. You will not be required to connect your device to actually initiate that install.

Q:Currently, using 'GarminMapUpdater_v2.6.15.exe', my download time for my 'CN North America NT 2012.10 3D, ALL trafficTrends North America 4.25' was in the time frame of somewhat less than 50 minutes. Will the future computer to nuvi map transfer be quicker, the same, or slower than the old system?

Computer to nuvi transfers will be the same speed. These are limited by the speed of the device, not by the software transferring the file.

Q: Will you receive a screen notice when the transfer is completed?

The Lifetime Updater provides a progress bar to monitor status and messaging once the transfer is complete.

Q: In the past when maps are added, one knows it. There was no 'real' date but at least you knew it. Now, if the map is loaded surreptitiously one wouldn't know unless they keep track of the strange map numbers and remember the progression. I suspect there is, but I still ask, what is the notification that the user receives about a map download in progress or a map download that has occurred?

Even if your nuvi is plugged into the computer full time (or you’re installing to Computer Only), you will still need to click a button to make the install happen. The Lifetime Updater is designed to download and prepare the data automatically, but let you decide when to actually install.

Q: During this 'automatic' happening is Garmin collecting any information from your computer or your nuvi without your knowledge?

The data collection policies for the Lifetime Updater are the same as the existing Garmin Map Updater. Device data collection is only done on an opt-in basis.

In addition, the Map Technology Team is in the process of creating a HELP system for the program that will be included in a future update.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Q: How does the program handle the map update when there are more than one Nuvi registered to it?

The program will queue the devices and do updates one at a time. There isn’t a set order, whichever device finds the update first will download first. The program is smart enough to know if the files have already been downloaded once so the second/third/etc device will only download files unique to it.
    This is the issue that I reported to them, but never got an answer that it was resolved. At least according to Garmin's answer it has been corrected.

Great informational post BTW. :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    Thanks Gator.

A couple of other questions that Garmin has answered that may be of interest:

Q: How often will the program check for available updates?

A: It will check weekly by itself. If you hit “check for updates” it will reset the timer and check 1 week from that point in time.

Q: Will the new updater program force a firmware update like the previous facility did?

A: Both Map Update clients will update your firmware before the map update begins. We absolutely do not recommend it but you can unplug your device before it copies the new GCD over and it will abort the firmware update. At that point, you can continue the map update as normal.

My personal preference would be to copy the old GCD file before I updated and then replace the new file with the old one after the update completed. This would put me back to the old firmware version without having to "abort" an update by pulling the USB cable, which sounds kind of scary. :)
  • Gramps 0 Points
    Wow! Garmin even put up a Mac version without any nagging from us touchy Mac types. Things are sure changing at Garmin!

:o
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, things are sure changing at Garmin. Their servers are choked with map downloads and this lets THEM choose the best time for you to update. Even more important (just wild speculation of course), it allows them to harvest an even greater quantity of your tracklogs which they are using to improve their trafficTrends database. I believe their privacy policy also lets them use your track data for marketing purposes... one can imagine all kinds of things there.

Now none of this is necessarily a bad thing. For many people, it's probably a good thing. But my guess is that these are the real reasons they have rolled out this new software. :twisted:
  • I tried it as I attempted to update my 1690, but every time it approaches 90 percent, there's an unexpected error.

Is something wrong on my end, or do I have to re-install the program to make it work? I take it my efforts are for nothing and I have to restart the install.
  • t923347 432 Points
    edited July 2011
    Yes, things are sure changing at Garmin. Their servers are choked with map downloads and this lets THEM choose the best time for you to update. Even more important (just wild speculation of course), it allows them to harvest an even greater quantity of your tracklogs which they are using to improve their trafficTrends database. I believe their privacy policy also lets them use your track data for marketing purposes... one can imagine all kinds of things there.

Now none of this is necessarily a bad thing. For many people, it's probably a good thing. But my guess is that these are the real reasons they have rolled out this new software. :twisted:
    You can Opt Out of data collection at some point (it maybe at device registration, I honestly don't remember, just that I've always done so). If, as they say, they use the same collection policy that currently exists, I don't see how this program could make any difference at all in the amount or type of data Garmin is collecting. If you opted out of data collection you are still opted out and if you didn't opt out then they have your usage data anyway. What am I missing :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    I tried it as I attempted to update my 1690, but every time it approaches 90 percent, there's an unexpected error.

Is something wrong on my end, or do I have to re-install the program to make it work? I take it my efforts are for nothing and I have to restart the install.
    90% of what? Is the download 90% finished or has it been completed and it fails after 90% of the actual installation of the maps to the Nuvi is completed.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Rick, I don't think you're missing anything. I'm just pointing out what I suspect was the real motivation for Garmin introducing this service.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Garmin pushed v2.0.2 out this morning. You can update using the “Check for updates” link on the About page of the current version or by re-downloading from the Lifetime Updater page.

NOTE- I received the above in response when asking the Map Technology Team about concerns from folks using XP having problems with the program seeing their devices. They say that the new version deals with a similar issue.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Please note that the new version 2.0.2 is for PC only. There is no new release for the MAC version of this program.
  • t923347 432 Points
    A number of users, both here and on other forums, are reporting that the new program is reporting that there are available map updates when, of course, there isn't.

I passed this on to Garmin and just received the following note from them:

"That is definitely an issue in both versions. We have pinpointed the problem and are currently testing the fix. If everything goes as planned, we should have a new version tomorrow morning (July 20/11).

Please pass along my apologies for the annoyance."
  • popej 57 Points
    Better they release this map ;)
  • t923347 432 Points
    I suspect that it can't be to far away. These guys seem to be working day and night to get any kinks out of this new program (initial release and 2 updates this week, responses to e-mails within an hour or two no matter what time I send them in). Sounds like their under the gun to get it right before the map update is released.
  • popej 57 Points
    Quite surprising this all attention to a program, which isn't any important part of update. It even doesn't support nüMaps Onetime.

New City Navigator Europe is visible on Garmin servers already for over 3 weeks, CN North America have appeared yesterday. Garmin probably wants updater to be ready before this release. Or maybe is delaying release because of updater?
  • t923347 432 Points
    It even doesn't support nüMaps Onetime.

New City Navigator Europe is visible on Garmin servers already for over 3 weeks, CN North America have appeared yesterday. Garmin probably wants updater to be ready before this release. Or maybe is delaying release because of updater?
    That's why it's called Garmin Lifetime Map Updater Program.

Anyhow, just saw a post on another site that indicates that City Navigator Europe 2012.20 is available, so folks with Europe lifetime maps should get a chance to see how good/bad the updater program works.

Version 2.0.3 of the updater program was released this morning as promised. Probably should do this update prior to using it for the map update.
  • popej 57 Points
    That's why it's called Garmin Lifetime Map Updater Program.
    Looks like name crippled its functionality :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    With the release of CN Europe 2012.20 we are getting the first chance to use the new lifetime mapupdater program.

I received a question from a person who has a Nuvi 775 with both NA and Europe maps on the device. He also has a 3790 with NA maps on the unit and lifetime Europe maps held on an SD card. He asked, how do I setup the updater so I only need go through the long Europe map file download once, and yet still be able to update both devices?

Garmin's response was:

"The best configuration would be to have the 775 set up as a device only install. Set the 3790 up as a computer only install. The updater will choose one of the devices to go first. Once the download for the first device completes, it will download any additional files needed for the second (there will be some).

In general, the Lifetime Updater will behave similar to the current Garmin Map Updater when the “Leave installation files” option was used on a previous run. That is, it will always check first for valid files locally and use those instead of re-downloading."

This procedure would be the same when the North America map update is released in the next few weeks. Hope this helps others that have mulitple units.Hope this helps others that have mulitple units.
  • Alright, I have actually used this program to its fullest extent.

Regarding the unexpected error (which was 90 percent of the download, sorry t923347 for the lack of clarity), that was due to Frontier DSL's crappy service, which we dropped.

Anyway, this is a great move by Garmin. It speeds up the download times considerably, and it looks like the program focuses on the most pertinent files based on the device connected to the computer. (I was afraid of receiving a massage saying the install failed on the nuvi 1690 because of lack of space.)

With photo realistic Junction Views the order of the day (of the 765, 1690, and the 3790 I own, only the 3790 supports this feature), will this be taken into account by the program when the next map update emerges in the next two weeks? I'm sure the previous post took that into account when written, but I just want to make sure.

Nifty program. With this and WebUpdater, myGarmin is almost next to useless...
  • t923347 432 Points
    To the best of my knowledge, the files downloaded will take into account what is needed for each Lifetime Map subscription registered to the program.

So, again as I understand it, the JCV files for each model (765, 1690, and 3790) are all different, so in order to update each device it would download, at a minimum, one map file and 3 junction view files.
  • DerekW 132 Points
    If you have subscriptions to two continents eg Europe and North America the program only reports the status for one set of maps at the moment. In my case only the North American maps

or it could be just a US centric view of the world
  • jonnop 101 Points
    This 90% is interesting that nwi_navigator_342 mentioned. I used the Lifetime mapupdater and this got as far as 90% and hung. Having left it at 90% for more than an hour I could be pretty sure that it was well and truly hung.

I terminated the process and checked my 1490. The maps were ok but my favourites were a bit messed up so I performed a hard reset which of course meant that I had to re-input my favourites. The maps seem ok. However I think it was the updating of the Mapsource map where the problem lay. I redid this part and all seems well.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    @ DerekW

Just Garmin's I think!

Reading other posts it does seem to update both sets though, or have you found something different? It's also clear that it's not particularly reliable at the mo, in typical Garmin fashion it's been released with far too many bugs :evil:
  • I couldn't figure this out either at first when I was trying to update Europe maps on my 1370. But I eventually discovered the selection toggle between EU and NA maps--it's on the left hand side of the top header--no obvious arrow or anything, just click there when you see it default to the NA map device (sorry, I don't have it on current machine to look at and am reconstructing from memory, hence the vagueness). But it's there, and I updated EU maps to 2012.20.
  • DerekW 132 Points
    was this on a Windows machine, on my Mac there are no sednsitive areas to select.
  • Windows 7. I installed here so that I could see the screen in question...at least in Windows, in the upper left corner is the "friendly name", which for me defaults to the NA map instance. Hovering the mouse over that reveals a button shape--there's a small picklist down arrow on the right edge of the button--that arrow leads to the other map/device. Information on subscription and current maps are on the right of that. Surely there's something similar in the Mac version?
    You might want to use the settings button to see if you actually have 2 devices created in this apps.
  • DerekW 132 Points
    Thanks but the Mac version does not appear to behave in the same way - I will get back onto the Garmin Forum and re raise the issue.
  • The no-hassle way for devices with nüMaps Lifetime™ subscriptions to get map updates.
    Well, to truly be no-hassle, we should only have to connect our Garmin de ice to our computer if/when an update is released. No? At least should be the case for folks like me who install the map on both our Mac and Garmin. :)

Don
  • DerekW 132 Points
    I have been in contact with the developer and supplied various bits of information from my log files and they have discovered a bug and are working on resolving the issue.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    no new maps yet. :(
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Isn't the updater suppose to automatically download new maps? There was one today but the updater didn't download it, I had to click check for updates. I have the schedule set to check anytime.
  • t923347 432 Points
    That's because this program is designed to check weekly for updates (and download automatically once they’re found). You don’t need to have your device plugged in for it to run, check, or download. The button on the screen will allow you to check more frequently (or force it to check once you read on the forums that the update has been released). As with the automatic (weekly) check, you do not need your device plugged in to force it to check, retrieve the update or initiate the download.
  • kenp 92 Points
    Hve they removed the button to check for updates?

I've got Version 2.0.5. The main screen has "Search for device" and "Settings" buttons. "Settings" includs a "Schedule" page, but that just sets times/days, nothing for an immediate check. Running Windows XP.

The "Installation" page is locked to "Install on device only."

Might this be different because I got mine thriugh an Amazon online code, rather than directly from Garmin?

I bought and installed this on Aug 3, when the latest map was 2012.10. It worked, but was kind of a black box and still does not show 2012.20. The new map does appear on mygarmin.com, and the "single update without installing permanent files" updater worked just fine for that. It gave useful progress information, and let me install both.

Sure am glad I'm used to what to expect from software. :)

Ken
  • t923347 432 Points
    I'm having the same issue.

I got an error message at the end of the 2012.20 map installation yesterday that the install could not be completed. When I pressed OK I got another message that said that the installation was completed successfully. Go figure!

Anyhow, everything seem fine on my 3790 and in Mapsource but the Lifetime Installation Program still thinks that the installation has failed and wants to try again. Until the program can be convinced that it has completed without error there is no "check for updates" button and other Option screens are locked.

I'll send this off to Garmin and see what the Map Tech Team have to say and get back to you. I suspect that uninstalling the program and then reinstalling it and setting up your Nuvi will clear the issue but that's not how it should work so we might as well get it cleared up the right way.
  • kenp 92 Points
    I got the same pair of "Installation fubar"... "Installation OK" dialogs. But I'm fine with the install of 2012.20 via mygarmin. The old ways are the good ways.

Garmin now has three months, more or less, to fix the new way. :)

Ken
  • werewolf 107 Points
    "I got an error message at the end of the 2012.20 map installation yesterday that the install could not be completed. When I pressed OK I got another message that said that the installation was completed successfully. Go figure! "

That happened to me with 2012.10. But now I'm trying to use the Garmin lifetime downloader to install 2012.20 and it just stops at 96.9% and I don't know how to get it going again. No message, it just stopped. I tried shutting it down and starting it up and same thing. Stuck at 96.9.
  • I used it yesterday to update my 2460LMT to the latest.
    The program is definatly nice, but has some quirks.

It just disappears from the task bar (Windows 7 x64) but apparently is still downloading because if I launch the program again it appears with the download progress indicator further along.

I got the error message at the end as well but the map 2012.20 seems to have loaded fine.

Nice program, but they need to get the kinks out of it.
  • werewolf 107 Points
    Well here comes six hours on the phone with Garmin. Not only did it jam up at 96.9 but my original maps won't open up anymore either. I might try downloading the original 2011 DVD disk again and see what happens...
  • t923347 432 Points
    Hve they removed the button to check for updates?

I've got Version 2.0.5. The main screen has "Search for device" and "Settings" buttons. "Settings" includs a "Schedule" page, but that just sets times/days, nothing for an immediate check. Running Windows XP.

The "Installation" page is locked to "Install on device only."

Ken
    Just heard back from Garmin. They say they will have a fix for the problem you and I had next week. In the meantime if you remove and then reinstall the device in the program it will be back to the "check for update" screen. I just did that and it worked.
  • kenp 92 Points
    Yes - that worked. The program makes much more sense now that it's unstuck. Thanks for bugging them.

Ken