This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tomtom One XL upgrade foul up

winston61 82 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
My gps is a Tomtom One XL. My map subscription has expired but that is not the problem. I still connect with Tomtom Home to get map corrections. Today when I connected Tomtom Home indicated that there was a USA/Canada map available for download. So I downloaded the map and Home tried to install it. The install gets about 2/3 done and then just stops. A little while later Home displays an error message and nothing else happens. I repeated this twice more. The only map I have on unit now is Guam. A while back I copied the entire contents of my One XL to a folder on my laptop. Do I just wipe the entire contents of the gps and then just copy my contents folder to the device? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    If indeed you did download a map (were you expecting one, if your subscription expired??) then it'll be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

and you can install it without using Home. See here:
    http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

BUT FIRST................

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

ALSO.................

Before any of the above, if you connect to Home. Add Maps/Voices, etc. and right arrow to Items on My Computer, what does it show in the maps row? And if you do see a map listed there, click on 'more info' to see if it is an updated map (the current is 870 with 875 due within a couple of weeks).
  • because my map subscription is expired I cannot explain why I was offered a USA/Canada map for free. I think it is a foul up on Tomtoms part. Anyway I can find no downloaded map. You would think that TomTom would have a better program than Home.

What has happened is that Home wiped the USA\CANADA map(and possibly other files) from my device. I do have an Explorer backup(copy) of the entire contents of my gps made prior to today. I need to clear the contents of my device so that I may copy the Explorer backup to my device. Is this possible? I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks to all
    If indeed you did download a map (were you expecting one, if your subscription expired??) then it'll be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

and you can install it without using Home. See here:
    http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

BUT FIRST................

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

ALSO.................

Before any of the above, if you connect to Home. Add Maps/Voices, etc. and right arrow to Items on My Computer, what does it show in the maps row? And if you do see a map listed there, click on 'more info' to see if it is an updated map (the current is 870 with 875 due within a couple of weeks).
  • dhn 336 Points
    When you use Explorer to restore, it can overwrite the same files on the unit so the deletion of the existing files isn't really necessary.

Try the restore without deleting, simply overwriting as needed.

And good for you for having the Explorer backup!!! :D