This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

The sad story of a bricked One XL

winston61 82 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Last Monday I connected my One XL to my laptop(win7 pro 64 bit) and started Tomtom Home. Update screen said there was a USA/Canada map that I could download. I do not have a map subscription. So, I downloaded and attempted to install the map. This was my fatal mistake. The map seemed to download just fine, but after about ¾ of the install Home throws an error message, something about a bad archive file and just stops. Great, a gps with no map. One more attempt with the same results. I called TomTom tech support and we went through some steps they thought would fix the problem. Same result. Install stops with error message. Three more calls to tech support, still no dice. I have the map on my computer, I cannot get it installed to the gps. My last effort is to reformat the gps with Windows. Go through the process of reinstalling the gps OS and other files. I used Home to attempt to install the US map that tech support provided to me. No dice. Gets ¾ done and justs stops. Now though I don't get an error message, install just stops. So, no map, no gps, I got a paper weight that says TomTom on it. So, if you do not have a map subscription and TomTom offers you a map update DO NOT attempt to download and install, it will destroy your device. A damned shame because I really like this unit. Oh well, no such thing as something for nothing. I did not ask for or pay for the map update, but I was foolish enough to try. What does TomTom owe me?
:oops:

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    You can try to install the map without Home. If it was downloaded, you'll find it here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

and you can install without Home. See here:
    http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

I'd make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents first. Then delete the CONTENTS of the specific map folder once you are sure the backup is on the computer.

Then, try the install without Home.
  • Thank you so much for your solution. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm very fond of my little XL, been with me through thick and thin and built like a brick outhouse. :D
  • In my last of many calls to TT Tech Support, the tech asked me if I was using a wired or wireless connection. When I told her wireless, she said that was most likely the problem all along(no explanation for why TT Home offered a free map when I did not have a map subscription). So I plugged into a wired router, downloaded the map and Bob's your uncle, map is restored and all is well again. Lesson learned: BE VERY CAREFUL about what you allow TT Home to do to your device. And always plug into your router when doing a map upgrade. :D
  • dhn 336 Points
    Glad you got it sorted. I keep forgetting to remind people not to use wireless connections for large downloads from TT's servers. Sorry. :oops: