Nuvi 1300 compatible GPS Tracking Program. Need Suggestions.

I am looking for a program that I can install on my Windows based PC (Laptop) that would allow me to plug in my Nuvi 1300 and save my route. Basically, I have a lake master chip installed in my Garmin and this would allow me to save my route on the lake when trolling and never lose it. Since the Nuvi 1300 only allows one waypoint on a route this is my alternative, if there is such a thing. Please let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• t923347 208 Points
    If I understand you correctly you have a program/chip that will create your route/track and your looking for a way to take that created route/track and save it to your computer.

Is the Lake Master chip saving the data somewhere on the Nuvi? If so is it a .gpx file that's being created or what type of file do you have, if any.

If you have a .gpx file then there are many programs that could help you, including the free BaseCamp software from Garmin, but we may need to more fully understand what type of data is being saved and what type of output is being created.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    edited August 2011
    There is no such thing. It doesn't matter what computer program you use, your Nuvi has two basic limitations that prevent you from doing this.

First, the 1300 series cannot utilize routes created on your computer. Doesn't matter what software you use, it just can't do it.

Second, it is not possible to load a track onto your Nuvi. In fact *none* of the Nuvi's allow you to load a track. They record tracks and you can copy them to your computer, but not the other way around.

You really might want to consider a "real" handheld gps instead, as they will give you both route and track import capabilities. And as a bonus, they will also be waterproof. :)
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Rick, Lakemaster is just a map. By "chip" I think he means that he purchased it on an SD card.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=254&pID=1113
  • t923347 208 Points
    Thanks Boyd, that helps. Never heard of those maps before but I'm not a boater. :)

Anyhow, I agree that the OP will not be able to load any of his routes/tracks to the Nuvi 1300 for the reasons you state but if his intention is to simply save the routes/tracks he has taken to his computer then that could be accomplished by installing BaseCamp on his computer, attaching the Nuvi and loading the current.gpx file into the software. Or have I missed something?
  • Ok, let me clarify. The lakemaster chip really doesn't matter, it simply helps figure out the route I should take when trolling (fishing). Also, I know I can't load a route to my Garmin as well.

What I want to do is, plug my Garmin into my computer and connect it to the program. As I move, the program creates a route because its pulling coordinates from the GPS. I would always have to use the program (laptop) and GPS together. I am not trying to load this route to the Garmin alone.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Yes, you are correct. If he just wants to see where he went on his computer, that is easy to do. But you can't send it back to the GPS and follow it again in the future.

You could create a set of waypoints in Basecamp and then send them to the GPS however.

If you want to get a little more advanced, this program can take your tracks and turn them into a map. That could also be displayed on the 1300: http://www.gpx2img.com/

But if you really want to use routes and tracks in any serious way, the Nuvi 1300 is just the wrong tool for the job IMO.
  • alanb 210 Points
    What I want to do is, plug my Garmin into my computer and connect it to the program. As I move, the program creates a route because its pulling coordinates from the GPS. I would always have to use the program (laptop) and GPS together. I am not trying to load this route to the Garmin alone.
    This is not something I have tried, but you should be able to do this with something like Delorme Topo and a Delorme USB or Bluetooth receiver such as the LT-40. I have done this with Delorme Street Atlas USA on a laptop for road navigation, but have not tried it with TOPO for off-road.
  • t923347 208 Points
    I was thinking the same thing using Microsoft's Streets & Trips with a GPS locator ($60.00 on Amazon). What I wasn't sure of was do these type of programs record your track as you move along? I've only ever used them as a substitute for a GPS (calculate and follow a specified route). If they do it may be a better solution to the OP issue than trying to use the Nuvi.
  • alanb 210 Points
    I know you can record and play back a "bread crumb" trail on Delorme Street Atlas, but not sure about Topo. I would be surprised if you couldn't tho. Delorme runs its own forum and there are some pretty knowledgable users over there if you are interested. I think the Topo program is about $100 and the receiver about $40. Can probably find both items cheaper if you shop around.
  • Tim 1291 Points
    I know you can record and play back a "bread crumb" trail on Delorme Street Atlas, but not sure about Topo.
    Yes, you can in Topo NA too.
  • Thank you for the ton of information you all gave me. Does anyone know why Garmin (maybe it's just my unit) doesn't allow route creation? It would be a fabulous tool, even for driving use.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Garmin's nRoute program can also do this. It looks pretty much the same as Mapsource but has tracking and routing features (depending on which maps you have installed). It is not compatible with City Navigator NT however. Very old software, but it works fine for me on XP, Vista and Windows 7. Garmin no longer supports or distributes it, but you can download here (nRoute_276.exe):

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/nroute/

It is a pretty good program for using topo maps with live tracking on a laptop, but it runs a bit slow and uses a keyboard-driven interface. I am also using it on an HP Slate 500 tablet under Windows 7 and it works. It won't work with any maps distributed on SD cards, or with maps downloaded from Garmin. Instead, it needs the same kind of files that Mapsource uses, such as those installed from a DVD or downloaded from a site like GPSFileDepot. In fact, it will see any existing maps that you've already installed in Mapsource.

The other solution for using Garmin maps on a laptop is MobilePC. It has recently been discontinued but still available for purchase at some vendors. It's not free, but should be less than $50 and includes full City Navigator NT maps. I don't know if it would work with maps on an SD card. Maybe. But I think you would need to copy them to the MobilePC folder on your computer, not sure if it would detect a card. And copying them to your computer might be a problem for the copy protection scheme.

Getting the Nuvi to talk to the laptop is another matter. As far as Garmin is concerned, you can't do that. But some Nuvi models are capable of sending data out over USB. You will just have to try that for yourself. The program you would need is called GPSGate, and it's a free download. This gets a bit technical however:

http://gpsgate.com/download

OTOH, you could just buy a dedicated USB GPS receiver for under $40 and it would be a simpler way to get position data into your laptop.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Does anyone know why Garmin (maybe it's just my unit) doesn't allow route creation? It would be a fabulous tool, even for driving use.
    Sure. The Nuvi 1300 is a bottom of the line unit. They have reserved this feature for higher end models. Anymore, it seems that the feature is completely vanishing from the Nuvi line, and you will need to buy a handheld to get this sort of functionality.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    FWIW, this is nRoute running on the HP Slate. The USB Stick protruding from the top of the tablet is the Microsoft (Navation/uBlox) GPS that's included with Streets and Trips, as mentioned above.

• It being a low end model was my concern. I won this at a raffle and even though it was the LM (Lifetime Maps) version, I figured it was low end plus, it's only 4.3". However, my boat has a $2300 Lowarance GPS system in it with route capabilities. This is for when I'm not using my boat or when I fish local tournaments that don't allow use of your own boats. (Local resort tournaments) At least I know why now at least. Again, thanks for all the great information.
  • t923347 208 Points
    If your interested in having a look at the Streets & Trips options, which is mapping software and a GPS locator which you attach to your laptop, here is what you can do with it:

"Create GPS trail. Select this check box if you want Streets & Trips to mark your route on the map as you travel. If you use this option, you can save the map with the GPS trail that shows the route you took. The trail remains visible on the map until you delete it by selecting the trail, and then pressing DELETE. To use this option, select Start/stop GPS tracking, and then select Create GPS trail."