Does Garmin Nuvi products have ads?

chobo2 10 Points
Hi

I was looking at garmin nuvi 1450LMT and in one youtube video on it I thought I saw some ad's popup but the reviewer never mentioned anything about it.

So thought I better double check.

Comments

• sussamb 179 Points
    You get the occasional ads with the free traffic in the US. I understand they're not very frequent, but those with some experience of them might chime in. Or just do a search on this forum along the lines of 'traffic ads'.
  • When the traffic option is active, ads may pop up when you are NOT moving. They are small rectangles that appear in the upper right corner of the screen and they disappear as soon as you start moving. Some people complain about them, saying they are anything from annoying to offensive, while others simply ignore them.
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Here are a couple examples. The ads on the map don't appear while in motion.

However I believe the ads can appear on menu screens while you're in motion. I guess the logic is that you aren't paying attention anyway if you're using the menus while driving. :twisted:

I don't find the ads to be a big deal. However I don't find the traffic service to be of much value either, especially in rural areas (like mine) where you don't even get a signal.

So I just don't use the traffic receiver, and therefore... no ads. :D
  • chobo2 10 Points
    So do all models that have traffic alerts have ads? Is this common for gps?
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Garmin free traffic in the US has ads but not elswhere AFAIK. If you take a paid traffic service there are no ads.

As Boyd points out you don't have to use the traffic receiver, or you can turn traffic off. Then you don't get ads. But honestly, from what I've heard, it's no big deal :wink:
  • chobo2 10 Points
    Garmin free traffic in the US has ads but not elswhere AFAIK. If you take a paid traffic service there are no ads.

As Boyd points out you don't have to use the traffic receiver, or you can turn traffic off. Then you don't get ads. But honestly, from what I've heard, it's no big deal :wink:
    Ya it is very possible that I won't even use the feature as I live in Canada and my city might not be supported(however it from what I seen getting the model that does not have traffic in it is just as expensive as the one with it).

Ya they don't seem to bad just was wondering if that is common or not. Seems weird you buy something that costs at least $160+ and you get ad's with it.
  • t923347 203 Points
    For that $160 your getting the GPS and a Traffic Receiver. Wasn't that long ago that the Traffic Receiver alone was something like $100 and then you had to pay for a subscription to the traffic service over and above that. :D
  • The ads on my 765T don't annoy me in the least. They're not big enough to obscure the display to any extent. Can't even read them with my 50+ year old eyes. :D
  • If you want "Free" traffic, you will have the ads, if you don't want traffic, just turn the traffic avoidance off and you will not get any ads or traffic.
  • kenp 42 Points
    To turn it all off, you need to disable traffic in setup. Just turning off avoidances won't do it. I think a lot of us (most? or just me?) who use traffic don't enable traffic avoidances, but prefer to get the info and make our own decisions.

I found the ads to be way less annoying than the poor coverage of the free traffic.

Ken
  • To turn it all off, you need to disable traffic in setup. Just turning off avoidances won't do it. I think a lot of us (most? or just me?) who use traffic don't enable traffic avoidances, but prefer to get the info and make our own decisions.

I found the ads to be way less annoying than the poor coverage of the free traffic.

Ken
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I don't have traffic, so I was not aware.