SOLUTION: Garmin has released large JCV as separate download

Garmin has released a large .jcv file available as a separate download for the 2012.20 map update. It was released for 7x5 series and Zuma 660/665 only. However, I've read several reports where it is working with some other units too, including 1490T. I can confirm this as I now have it on my 1490T (2GB internal memory) and it is working well. You will need a storage card to use this file.

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=103430&postcount=29

Enjoy,
Lilla

Comments

• Lilla, thanks for the heads up....

Your link will make lot's of people happy, including ME.

About time somebody else apart from me that is getting upset.

Romi
  • sussamb,

Major difference, they talked about it, she confirms it for a 1490T!!!!!

I also confirm that it works on my 1490T, all the views I had around Montreal are back, same photorealistic as before Garmin trimmed the JCV file.

Here is a fast how to for the 14xx with an SD card, you will need a memory card for this to work, I would suggest getting a 4GB because this file will continue to grow.

Download JCV file from Lilla's link

Updated map from Garmin to 2012.20 full NA, the included jcv file will be around 51,000

Just in case (but you don't have to do it) backup your unit.

Make sure your SD card is formatted fat32, insert card in unit.

On the card, make a folder named GARMIN

In the GARMIN folder, make a folder named JCV

so, you will have on the card

\GARMIN\JCV

copy the large junction view file to \GARMIN\JCV

Change your options in Windows Explorer to be able to see system files.

On your nuvi, find the following folder

.system\JCV

There are 2 files in there, delete the 2 files.

Eject your unit, it will start up.

That's it.

Romi
  • t923347 214 Points
    Here is the direct link to the download file on the Garmin website:

http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_20/NA/JV/D3060030A.jcv
  • Garmin has released a large .jcv file available as a separate download for the 2012.20 map update. It was released for 7x5 series and Zuma 660/665 only. However, I've read several reports where it is working with some other units too, including 1490T. I can confirm this as I now have it on my 1490T (2GB internal memory) and it is working well. You will need a storage card to use this file.

Enjoy,
    Lilla
    Many, many thanks for this info......A Big Canadian Bear hug goes to you. :D :D

I, too, have the 1490T and lost the "JCV"...I followed your pattern and now have a fully operational 1490T with "Junction Views"

Bravo..Bravo

Ron
  • sussamb 291 Points
    From reports elsewhere this file may not work with the 2xxx series, and some problems with others, eg on the 37xx series you don't get split screen views, and on some nuvis narrow JV images in the center of the screen with white bars on each side of the image.

So it's certainly not a perfect solution for every nuvi, but worth a try if junction views are important to you :)

And for those with lifetime map updates it apparently won't work with the next map release (so Garmin says). Guess we'll have to see if Garmin will give users the option to download a large jcv file if they have space. Interestingly it seems some Garmin staff have been saying the jcv file will not work off a SD card, whereas in fact in does, so it could easily be an option for any user provided they have a card installed in their nuvi.
  • sviking 141 Points
    From reports elsewhere this file may not work with the 2xxx series, and some problems with others, eg on the 37xx series you don't get split screen views
    Shouldn't matter on the 37XX series as memory (or needing an SD card) isn't an issue. I got the full JCV file with the latest lifetime map download for my 3790t. It was 450K+ in size, as I recall. Almost double the size from the last update.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Is the smaller JCV file loaded on to certain units or does it depend on how much memory you have left because I have a nuLink 1695 with 4GB internal memory (1.13GB free) and when I did the latest map update my JCV file is about 721mb.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Is the smaller JCV file loaded on to certain units or does it depend on how much memory you have left because I have a nuLink 1695 with 4GB internal memory (1.13GB free) and when I did the latest map update my JCV file is about 721mb.
    It appears that the smaller file is loaded on units with lesser memory.

BUT... My 3790 has 8gb of memory and my JCV file is 457mb. Wonder why yours is so large as I have the "big file"...
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Guess it's probably closer to 700mb, my file says JCV file 720,898 kb but still.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Guess it's probably closer to 700mb, my file says JCV file 720,898 kb but still.
    But still...that's over 200mb larger than the "large file" everyone has been referencing.

edited to add:

Ah, I think I get it now. That larger file is only for certain units and the ones that do NOT support split screen JCV display like the 37XX series. From the link above:

"The 752MB JCV file is full screen display only and not intended for nuvi models that support split screen JV's [like nuvi 3790]. If you have one of these newer models you are better off sticking with the [automatically installed] 468MB file."
  • I'm gonna try this on my 1690. My current jcv file is 51MB. I don't recall the size in the previous CN2012.10NA mapset.

Wow. 752MB to d/l. That's gonna take a while with Garmin's slow server (~200 kb/sec.)
  • OK. All squared away and it appears that my JV is working fine from the microSD card in my 1690. I plugged in a test route and have already seen 2 JVs. I should have sampled the same run before I did this mod, but didn't think to do so.

Yes, I deleted the info in the \system\JV folder, so the only place the JV info can come from is the SD card. (and yes, I backed up the old JV data before I deleted it.) ;)

Edit: I found that if I took out the microSD card from the 1690 and put it in a converter (to SD format), plugged that into my built in multi-media reader, I could transfer the data in 60 seconds vs 24 minutes via USB to the microSD card in the 1690.
  • sussamb 291 Points
    For those for whom this doesn't work there appears to be another possible 'work around' that's been posted on another site, I haven't tried it but it may be worth a try for those concerned about their shrinking .jcv files.

You have to download the maps from Garmin to your PC rather than the nuvi. Then there is apparently a file in the hidden folders that contains the JCV file. You copy that and put it into your nuvi, either into the JCV folder on the nuvi if it will fit or onto a SD card (as explained above it needs to be in a folder X:/Garmin/JCV where X is the SD card). The explanation given was that by installing directly to the Nuvi it doesn't deliver the whole file so downloading to the PC it gets the whole file that other Nuvis can handle.

If anyone tries it maybe you could report back here on whether it works or not!

Having done a search on my PC I can't find a .jcv file that could possibly be part of my download, so am slightly sceptical about this 'solution' :?
  • Is it for other units (885t)?
  • alanb 215 Points
    Blue Flame, it works great on my 855, so it should work on your 885T too, as long as you have the 2012.20 version of CN NA maps.
  • I'll try that...

I'll be completely blown away, if any junctions work near me...
    I saw my first one in KC Mo. It was so Cool.
  • After over an hour of dl, I was able to move the file over to G:
    I have like 75mb free...
  • Garmin has released a large .jcv file available as a separate download for the 2012.20 map update. It was released for 7x5 series and Zuma 660/665 only. However, I've read several reports where it is working with some other units too, including 1490T. I can confirm this as I now have it on my 1490T (2GB internal memory) and it is working well. You will need a storage card to use this file.

Enjoy,
    Lilla
    Lilla, Just saw you post. How did you create the test routes for the Atlanta area? Did a search on the forum but couldn't find any info on creating a JV test route. Thanks.
  • t923347 214 Points
    One simple way is to put your Nuvi in Simulation Mode. Normally that's Tools - Settings - System - GPS Simulator.

Once in Simulation mode do Where To - Cities and type in Atlanta. Pick Atlanta GA from the list presented and then pick Set Location. That will make the Nuvi believe it's in the center of Atlanta.

Now go to Where To - Cities and this time type in Sandy Springs. Pick Sandy Springs GA from the list and press GO.

The Nuvi will ask if you want to simulate the route. You can pick either Yes or No. but it's faster to say NO. The Nuvi will calculate the route and once it's finished the calculation press the GREEN bar at the top of the map screen to get the "turns: screen.

Press the top entry on the turns screen and then use the down arrow to see the next turn, followed by the next one, etc. If you scroll through all the turns in this 17 mile route you should see 6 JV's using the LARGE JV file for the 2012.20 map file.
  • I assume the answer is "no" but will ask anyway just in case I am pleasantly surprised!

Will this work with older maps or only with version 2012.20? I have a 765t.

Thanks!
  • alanb 215 Points
    Your assumption is correct. It is only for 2012.20
  • I d/l loaded the JCV file yesterday and put it on my micro sd card but found out the card is corrupted. Looks like I will need to get a new card. When I do what is the recommended procedure to format the new card. I used my card reader on my PC yesterday to install the file onto the card or should I format the new card in my 1490T? Thanks.
  • sussamb 291 Points
    You should be able to sort out the card by formatting it, unless its damaged. Note you need to format is as FAT32 to work in the nuvi.
  • Only one potential problem with the use of a card to hold the jcv file. If (like me) you have a second map set installed (Europe in my case) you already have a \garmin\jcv folder on the SD card. Has anybody tried to see if 2 jcv files (with different file names of course) can both live on the card, and in the same folder, simultaneously?

Just curious. I have the "full" jcv on the actual 755t with room to spare.

Personally I think the simple answer to this whole dilemma is to have the respective JCV group automatically be selected with the map area(s) installed in units with less internal memory. There's not much use having hundreds of JCVs loaded for areas where you don't bother to load the corresponding maps. If you have room for all of North America then all JCVs would load, otherwise they should match the geographical area. Surely Mapsource or Basecamp could handle the job with some tweaking.

Garmin, please????

Cheers!

Bob
  • You should be able to sort out the card by formatting it, unless its damaged. Note you need to format is as FAT32 to work in the nuvi.
    Yep, it is damaged. Looking around for a 4gb micro SDHC card.
  • One simple way is to put your Nuvi in Simulation Mode. Normally that's Tools - Settings - System - GPS Simulator.

Once in Simulation mode do Where To - Cities and type in Atlanta. Pick Atlanta GA from the list presented and then pick Set Location. That will make the Nuvi believe it's in the center of Atlanta.

Now go to Where To - Cities and this time type in Sandy Springs. Pick Sandy Springs GA from the list and press GO.

The Nuvi will ask if you want to simulate the route. You can pick either Yes or No. but it's faster to say NO. The Nuvi will calculate the route and once it's finished the calculation press the GREEN bar at the top of the map screen to get the "turns: screen.

Press the top entry on the turns screen and then use the down arrow to see the next turn, followed by the next one, etc. If you scroll through all the turns in this 17 mile route you should see 6 JV's using the LARGE JV file for the 2012.20 map file.
    Thanks for the tip. I forgot about the GPS Simulation mode.
  • Got my new card yesterday and d/l the JCV file to the card. Have already seen 8 different JVs on I-85 in the Charlotte area. :D
  • sussamb 291 Points
    Great!
  • t923347 214 Points
    I'm gonna try this on my 1690. My current jcv file is 51MB. I don't recall the size in the previous CN2012.10NA mapset.
    Update:

Just put 2012.20 on the 1695 today. It came with the large 700+MB Junction View file. and not the default 51mb file that the 1xxx models were getting . I had deleted all files from the 1695 that I didn't require (voices, vehicles, etc.) and had lots of free space.

Hopefully Garmin has seen the error of their ways and are now checking the available free space on the unit and providing a larger JV file based on units that have space for it. The installer program did do a lot of checking back and forth between the unit and the website before the download actually started. Guess we won't know for sure until 2012.30 becomes available.
  • Great! I uploaded the 789MB file to the JCV folder in my 755T and trashed the 53Mb .JCV file that was presently located there.

Now I am wondering if I have to do this every time there is a Map update or will the Garmin updater leave it alone? I guess I'll just keep it handy in case.

My other question is, how do I know if the new .jcv file is being used by the system? I looked through the Software and map versions in the settings and can't find any mention of a jcv version anywhere.

Anyone know?
  • alanb 215 Points
    Gramps, the JCV file is tied to the map version, so you need/get a new JCV file with each map update. You can't use an old JCV file with a new map. It remains to be seen whether Garmin will give us the full coverage JCV file on the next map update or if we will again be stuck with the minimal coverage version.
  • The link to D3060030A.JCV does not appear to be working on my Mac with Safari. It displays a huge amount of text, and after about the right amount of time to download a 770mb file, it stops. Then, I can't find the file; it's not in downloads and it's not any place on my system. Can someone please supply me with a working link???

Also, Garmin does not appear to be helpful with this. They've responded quickly, but the latest included, "This means that if you are not getting a junction view to show up then we more than likely don’t have a junction view for that intersection. Garmin is working to increase the amount of intersections that are covered which is why many devices do not have enough space now." (One intersection I definitely should see is I76 and US202, probably the biggest in the Phila. area.) I requested that they point me to D3060030A.JCV, as in my first email, and concluded with, "If you can supply that file to me, I will be happy. If not, then I believe that your advertising for the 1450LMT is extremely deceptive."
  • ... It's now downloading. I was able to download it using FireFox. Go figure.
  • Purchased a 2450LM last week pre-loaded with 2013.10 full NA and Canada. Couldn't wait to upgrade with the latest which turned out to be 2012.20 and it promptly deleted all of the junction views! After the upgrade I have 1330.3mb free space. I think I have 2.0gb total.
    I want to downlown this large .jcv file Garmin has released:
    (http://download.garmin.com/support/2012_20/NA/JV/D3060030A.jcv) and put it on a micro SDHC card but how do you format a micro card for FAT32? And I can't find a .system\JCV folder on my nuvi? I have a GARMIN folder with an XML Doc called 'Garmin Device' and a folder called 'LEX_PKG'. I've set options to view hidden folders, I've used the search feature in windows (XP w/sp3) without success.
    Any Sugestions? .... I've hit a brick wall here!
  • alanb 215 Points
    To get the .system folder to show, you need to uncheck the Windows folder option for "Hide protected operating system files".

For the FAT32 format of your SD, if that option is not showing on the dropdown in the format dialog box, you may need to do the format from the Windows command prompt. Open a command prompt window and use the following command: FORMAT v: /FS:FAT32
    substituting the mounted drive letter of your SD card for the "v:".
  • t923347 214 Points
    I think I have 2.0gb total.
    If you have 1330MB free you must have at least 4GB of internal storage as the full NA and Canada map installation would be more than 1GB.
  • OK, that makes sense. Thanks. But I still want to download the "SOLUTION" file to an SD card. Everyone keeps talking about a folder called: .system\JCV that I can't find on my nuvi. Is it possible it got deleted with the map upgrade, and how do you get it back?
  • Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
  • My .system/JVC folder is totally empty. I'm getting an SD card today and download the file. Will post results when I'm through. Thanks to everyone for your input.
  • Just got off the phone with Garmin. Had a pleasant conversation with 'Josh' who walked me through a proceedure to re-load JCV files right back onto my nuvi 2450LM. He says the reason the 2012.20 map update version dropped JCV files is because Maptec stopped making them for Garmin and now they are making their own. Sounds like they are dealing with this same issue on about every other phone call. I don't know how many files or the size but he advised me to download the map upgrade again after midnight since I have HughesNet with an unlimited capacity between 12:00mn and 06:00am. After he helped me delete some useless files from my device, he had me look into some other folders for him, then his intructions were as follows:

Connect device to computer
    Sign into GARMIN.COM (assuming you're registered)
    Go to: MyGarmin/MyMaps/DOWNLOAD HISTORY/Downloads
    Choose OPTION 2 (Garmin Map Update Application)

After the download follow directions for rebooting device. I'll do a test run using Lilla's info and let you know if it works!
  • It works for my nuvi 2450LM! After the download to my device as per "Josh' from Garmin, I did a test route from Malvern, AR to Tunica, MS and found six junction views on a 230 mile trip!

Thanks to all who contribute to this site. I was at a total loss until I stumbled onto your forum posts!
  • I just got back from a long trip, using the "enhanced" junction view file on my 765T. A couple observations:

I had junction views everywhere, including places I don't think they're the least bit useful. As an example, if your route takes you off a two-lane interstate, in rural Montana, on a simple diamond interchange, you get a junction view. Not sure I get the point of that. If you can't navigate an interchange like that on your own, I'm not sure you should be given a drivers license. :lol:

There were other, more complex interchanges (like the I-90/I-5 interchange in Seattle IIRC), that of course had the junction view, but no lane assist. This was my first time through the area so I can't say if lane assist was there before. I was disappointed that junction views seem to have higher priority than lane assist, because if I can only have one or the other, I'll take lane assist every time.
  • alanb 215 Points
    I agree with your statement about preferring lane assist over junction view if only one is available. However, I am not sure that Garmin gives junction view priority over lane assist. I think the two come from different data sources. Lane assist is contained in the map data and junction view is a separate file. If both are available on a given intersection, the lane assist arrows will display after the junction view popup goes away. Or on models where you get side-by-side view, you should see both at the same time.
  • What am I doing wrong? I have the expanded file on my 1690's SD card (under GARMIN/JCV) and tried the simulation suggested by t923347 but Junction View is greyed out for everything. I'd just renamed the JCV folder on the unit to _JCV before and it didn't work so figured maybe it needed the correct folder there (albeit empty) and renamed it back (and emptied it), but still no luck. Any suggestions?
  • Never mind...figured it out. I was using the older JCV file with it and not the newer (040) one. Working now :D
  • Howdy,
    I have been following your post here, and I have been looking for the
    .system\jcv file, but I cannot find it anywhere on my 1450 lmt.
    I am currently downloading the jcv file to my sd card, but I need help in order to find and delete the smaller jcv file. When I downloaded my map updates, I was given a 2012.30 version....does this include the full jcv file or should I continue to download it to my sd card?
    Thanks
    Russ
  • t923347 214 Points
    The .system folder is a hidden OS systems folder and therefore you need to alter the default Windows Folder Options. Open the Folder Options dialog box in Windows (see Windows Help of procedure if needed) and click on the View tab. Click on Show hidden files, folders and drives and delete the checkmark beside the entry "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)"

After finding the Junction View file on your Nuvi, you may want to change the View Options back to hide the Protected OS files again as leaving them exposed can result in deleting an important Windows OS files that could "brick" your computer.
  • Just another quick question....
    How can I change the status bar on my garmin 1450 lmt
    from horizontial to vertical?

Thanks

Russ
  • Just another quick question....
    How can I change the status bar on my garmin 1450 lmt
    from horizontial to vertical?

Thanks

Russ

On my 1490T it is: Tools>Settings>Map> Map Data Layout. The default is standard. Changing it will display the info on the right hand side of the display.