This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 2012 Nuvi Lineup : Was: Got e-mail today?

Comments

• Esteban 0 Points
    In the Guidance 2.0 section, it says it has "automatic volume control". Does that mean the scroll wheel is back?
    Some car stereos raise the volume depending on the ambient noise in the car. This allows the listener to hear the radio over the engine and road noise in the car. I would imagine it's something like that. I haven't seen a scroll wheel in any of the images.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Yeah, "automatic" doesn't usually refer to a human interface control.
  • In my old Honda Civic, they had an option called "Speed Volume Control," which is pretty much the same thing. As Alan said, volume is adjusted based on ambient noise.

Garmin just posted an FAQ (https://buy.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/search.htm?search_key=nuvi 3490LMT) regarding the 2012 series. Some things to gather from the site:

Custom route avoidances, a feature in the 2460LMT, will be included in the advanced and prestige series.

The "Less Fuel" route option will be available ONLY with the Ecoroute app, which can be purchased through the Garmin online store for $9.99; it also comes free with Ecoroute HD.

Speaking of apps, that's a new option in the 3490LMT. The "Where I've Been" App keeps a record of areas visited within a ten hour time period, in case you wish to revisit them. The Garmin online store has more details...

Finally, according to Garmin, you can import routes from Basecamp (not Mapsource) to the advanced/prestige series.
  • Esteban 0 Points
    Nice find.

It looks like you can add, delete and rearrange items on the Where To menu. "The shortcuts listed on the Where To? menu can be rearranged on nuvi 2405, 2505, and 3400 series devices. To move a shortcut icon, simply touch and hold on the icon then drag it to the desired location. For step-by-step instructions on how to add or remove shortcuts from the menu, please visit the following article"

You can also customize the map buttons. "The nuvi 2405, 2505, and 3400 series devices allow you to customize what buttons will appear on the right-hand side of the View Map screen. These devices display Mute/Unmute, Stop, and Traffic as the default map buttons. The available map buttons are as follows: Stop, Detour, Traffic, Phone, Mute, Exit Services, Where Am I?, Trip Computer, Map Layers, Brightness, Where To?, Audible"

I'm not sure what a dashboard is. Maybe it's the data fields? "The nuvi 2405, 2505, and 3400 series devices use a dashboard on the View Map screen. The nuvi dashboard provides useful data fields, such as your current speed, time of day, arrival time, and so on. You can customize the appearance of your nuvi by changing the dashboard style. "
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Sounds like they are borrowing a few pages from the Montana series. Not sure how they will be implemented on these models, but on the Montana (and Oregon), the dashboard consists of specialized data fields for various uses like recreation, geocaching, etc. Some of them are customizable, others are not.

On the Montana, one of the dashboards is called "nuvi" and makes the unit look just like the main screen of the Nuvi.

I'm sure they won't have all the advanced features of the Montana however, because it's like the antithesis of the Nuvi series - the level of customization would bewilder even an advanced automotive user. Almost every screen on the GPS can have its own dashboard. This one is called "status"

All of the menu pages can be customized and rearranged too. They offered a more limited version of this on the existing 2400 series, so I suspect they have just expanded it a bit on the new models.

Shortcuts are probably the most powerful Montana feature. They are macro's that you create to automate almost any function the unit is capable of, even things like "where to" searches. They can also be added to dashboards and menu's. Again, I'd expect a more simplified version on the Nuvi series.

The cool thing about dashboards on the map screen is that they can be minimized by tapping a little triangle. They then vanish, only leaving the little triangle so as to maximize the amount of map you can see. Tapping that little triangle makes the dashboard reappear.

I'm really glad that Garmin has finally realized there are advanced user out there who would like an automotive unit that isn't quite so simplistic as the traditional Nuvi's.

I've been wondering how long it would take them to "unbundle" the feature set. Sounds like they've done it, and will start rolling out "apps" that you need to pay extra for in order to get some of the advanced features. I have mixed feelings on that, but overall it's probably a good thing.

Based on experience with the Montana, I expect these new models to be pretty buggy. I guess this is just the price to pay for something new and different, and I still love my Montana. But if you have a low tolerance for bugs then I suggest you wait awhile and see what the early adopters say.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    In the Guidance 2.0 section, it says it has "automatic volume control". Does that mean the scroll wheel is back?

Actually not an entirely new feature on a Garmin. My "old" StreetPilot 2730 had Speed Adjusted Volume - select how much the volume increases as your speed increases. Low setting increases your volume only slightly. High increases volume the most. The feature name may just be semantics, but I'm guessing it is better these days.
  • caryrae 92 Points

The "Less Fuel" route option will be available ONLY with the Ecoroute app, which can be purchased through the Garmin online store for $9.99; it also comes free with Ecoroute HD.
    Do we know if we get ecoroute app free if we already have the ecoroute HD or will it only be free for people who purchase the ecoroute hd with or after buying one of the compatible new models?

• The "Less Fuel" route option will be available ONLY with the Ecoroute app, which can be purchased through the Garmin online store for $9.99; it also comes free with Ecoroute HD.

Do we know if we get ecoroute app free if we already have the ecoroute HD or will it only be free for people who purchase the ecoroute hd with or after buying one of the compatible new models?
    Honest question: is Ecoroute HD something you register when you get it? If such is the case, I'm sure that registration will carry over to the new application. I'm confident all Ecoroute HD owners will have the benefit of a free download.

EDIT; I don't know how much stock many of you have in GPS City, but they're calling for a tentative release date of the rest of the 2012 series on October 12. I personally wouldn't put too much stock in it, mainly because they (by no fault of them or Garmin) were off in the release of the 2xxx series by 3 months.
  • t923347 426 Points
    Honest question: is Ecoroute HD something you register when you get it? If such is the case, I'm sure that registration will carry over to the new application. I'm confident all Ecoroute HD owners will have the benefit of a free download.

EDIT; I don't know how much stock many of you have in GPS City, but they're calling for a tentative release date of the rest of the 2012 series on October 12. I personally wouldn't put too much stock in it, mainly because they (by no fault of them or Garmin) were off in the release of the 2xxx series by 3 months.
    There is no registration involved with the ecoRoute HD. You just plug it in and pair it with your Nuvi.

GPScity is a good site for GPS purchases, both in the US and Canada. Having said that I think they just throw darts at a calendar to come up with availability dates. They may even use the same set of darts that Amazon uses. :lol:
  • Toby777 0 Points
    I sure hope that they'll use GHz or Dual Core procs with these models. If not at least the mid & high end models. If Smartphones now use them, why not PND's? It would definately put Garmin at the forefront of the others for having a fast, responsive GPS device. Even if it's just for the sake of providing a better user experience.

From the big list of all the features in Guidance 3.0, one can only hope so.
  • GPScity is a good site for GPS purchases, both in the US and Canada. Having said that I think they just throw darts at a calendar to come up with availability dates. They may even use the same set of darts that Amazon uses. :lol:
    Best done sober...that's what I always say. :))

However, there is some merit to this. Our friend from GPStracklog.com, Rich Owings, posted the press release from Garmin, which did say the 2012 series will roll out sometime in October 2011. So, we shall see. the sooner the 3490 shows up on Best Buy's website, or in store, the better. :)

Question for the gallery: the map can be customized, based on the screenshots. Is there any way the traffic and phone icons can be moved to the traditional left side of the screen? Not a deal breaker by any means, but I'm a little to used to it, and it can seem awkward.
  • I wanted to bump this thread because Rich revealed this morning the owner manuals for the Advanced and Prestige edition Nuvis, with some revelations. A few highlights:

Speed limits are adjustable on the 3400 series; it was omitted from the advanced 2xxx series' manuals, but I'm sure you can do that on those units, as well.

Apparently, you CAN play mp3's on the 3400 series, while the advanced 2xxx's can do audiobooks only.

Dashboards can be customized.

For more details, go here: http://gpstracklog.com/2011/09/sneak-peek-at-the-garmin-nuvi-2012-series.html#more-12097
  • Apparently, you CAN play mp3's on the 3400 series, while the advanced 2xxx's can do audiobooks only.
    There is hope for the world of hearing impaired after all. The main reason I have held off upgrading to a new GPS is that after the demise of the 755 they dropped the ability to play MP3s or plug GPS audio into the car audio for more volume. I tried a 3790 with the speaker in the base, and I could not understand a damn thing it was saying with volume turned up to max. But with my 755, I have no problem understanding what directions the GPS is giving me. Now maybe now I'll save up my shekels for one of the new 34xx units that has an audio out jack and MP3 player.

Perhaps the few deaf Geezers like myself got through to some of the suits at Garmin who make these decisions after all...
  • alanb 539 Points
    Gramps, I don't see anything that indicates that the 34xx series has a line out/headphone jack. I would agree the media player is of limited value without it, but I don't see any reference to an audio jack in the user manual.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Apparently, you CAN play mp3's on the 3400 series, while the advanced 2xxx's can do audiobooks only.
    Before you get too excited you should realize that many of the Asian versions of the nuvi series have MP3 players but the feature has been removed from the US firmware.

According to Garmin's site, neither the 3400 or 2405 series can play MP3's but both do audiobooks.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=97509&compareProduct=97243
  • I feel what you are saying Boyd. That is by no means a deal breaker, and with Apple having a stranglehold on the mp3 market, it is a pointless gesture by Garmin.

When I experimented with the 765T's mp3 feature, it was cool to hear it through a line jack, but when an important turn was coming, the music would cut off. I understand the reason why, but being the music buff that I am, I'd stick with my iPod.

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger and ordering the 3490LMT from Amazon.
  • When I experimented with the 765T's mp3 feature, it was cool to hear it through a line jack, but when an important turn was coming, the music would cut off. I understand the reason why, but being the music buff that I am, I'd stick with my iPod.
    Which is exactly why I prefer the Nuvi to play my music rather than my iPod. If an important passage is coming up and the Garmin issues a bit of info or a directive, it will cut off the music and restart it again exactly at where it was cut off once the information or directive has been delivered. I would rather not have it come back in somewhere later in the music phrase.

Until Garmin build the MP3 player back into their GPS units, I'll keep using my somewhat over-the-hill 755T. But as nice as the MP3 player is, to me the external jack is far more important. Without it with my hearing problems, a GPS is just another electronic gadget that would end up sitting on a pile of other useless electronic gadgetry.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Maybe you would be happier using a smartphone as a GPS? They pretty much all have headphone jacks. Or if you don't want a phone, an iPad or iPod Touch are also possibilities.

Of course, all Nuvi's are accessible to hearing impaired individuals, because the guidance information is displayed on the screen in addition to being spoken. :)
  • Of course, all Nuvi's are accessible to hearing impaired individuals, because the guidance information is displayed on the screen in addition to being spoken.
    Hmmm! Thanks! I never thought of that. I will look into it. I'll also be looking into bluetooth headphones that are especially strong in the upper frequencies where my hearing is really bad.
  • Dewey 81 Points
    Getting back to the "new" 3D traffic for a minute...

I wonder if Garmin's new traffic receivers are compatible with the current/recent series Nuvis? It would sure be nice if those of us who wanted to update to the digital traffic (and supposedly more accurate due to the more frequent updating) could do so without updating our entire device. I know it's against the concepts of "marketing", but it would sure be nice if I could just update the traffic receiver on my 2460.
  • Getting back to the "new" 3D traffic for a minute...

I wonder if Garmin's new traffic receivers are compatible with the current/recent series Nuvis? It would sure be nice if those of us who wanted to update to the digital traffic (and supposedly more accurate due to the more frequent updating) could do so without updating our entire device. I know it's against the concepts of "marketing", but it would sure be nice if I could just update the traffic receiver on my 2460.
    Just for the new models.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=104181
  • Dewey 81 Points
    Thanks... I see that as part of the marketing strategy, that the new traffic receivers (GTM-60) are now subscription free AND ad free.
  • Question for those familiar with Garmin practices:

With all the complaints about the various models out now, is Garmin's mindset that if you want a function (that is in an earlier model but was removed for a certain lineup), then you need to buy a new model with the function; or will they likely release firmware updates for existing models to fix a majority of customer complaints?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Garmin is pretty good at fixing firmware bugs, sometimes even in models that are several years old. But it usually takes a long time for this to happen - years sometimes.

However they have almost never added new features to existing nuvi models. I can only think of a couple examples... they added the Ecoroute feature to various models and they added text-to-speech to the Nuvi 5x0. There may be a couple other cases, but they are few and far between.

Then there's the example of the Nuvi 37x0 series where users complained about the lack of computer route transfer. Garmin said they would add this feature, and even posted a support FAQ giving a time frame for when they hoped to do it. That date came and went, then they removed the FAQ from their site and never added the feature.

So the bottom line is.... make your choice carefully and expect a lot of bugs in any new model. The bugs will eventually be fixed, but the feature set will not change.
  • q95 0 Points
    I have a Garmin 255W that we've handed down to our son who is in college and needs to drive back and forth to his National Guard assignment. I really love it and its been a "sweet" unit for us. I had purchased the 'lifetime map updates' and find them easy (but time consuming) to perform updates.

Looking around, I like the 3490LMT that was recently announced and should be available in the next month or so. However, I really wish it had the 5.0" display, especially since it has a 'split screen' mode. I can't understand why the 2595LMT (next level of units down) would have the wider (yet lower resolution) screen.

Is there a technical reason the resolution of the 3490LMT needs to be the 4.3" screen or is it a matter of pricing the unit to catch a larger segment of the customer population?

How often does Garmin release new models, at least the standard automotive units (not the handheld, motorcycle, trucker, etc)? Would anyone expect the 3490LMT to surface as a 3590LMT in the next 6 months (the 3490 is the 4.3" and I'm guessing based on model numbers a 3590 would be the same/similar unit features with a 5" display).
  • q95 0 Points
    Can anyone comment on why the "Garmin Lock" is missing from the newest higher end models? That seems like a nice feature ... my thinking is that if someone steals my Garmin, they can't use it! I'd rather have my Garmin ... but would prefer it not be used by a thief. So, to me, it was a nice feature (like PCs, cell phones, etc have).

Is it possible that it may show up as an added application that can be obtained?
  • t923347 426 Points
    Is there a technical reason the resolution of the 3490LMT needs to be the 4.3" screen or is it a matter of pricing the unit to catch a larger segment of the customer population?

How often does Garmin release new models, at least the standard automotive units (not the handheld, motorcycle, trucker, etc)? Would anyone expect the 3490LMT to surface as a 3590LMT in the next 6 months (the 3490 is the 4.3" and I'm guessing based on model numbers a 3590 would be the same/similar unit features with a 5" display).
    I would guess that the difference has to do with the fact that the 3490's screen is multi touch, duel orientation, glass, with glass being the major factor. It maybe that the size limitation is because of the glass screen.

Garmin will normally have a new line of models about this time of year but have announced some at other times as well. If you can make heads or tails out of their model numbering system you win the top prize as I'm not sure anyone else has. :D For example you may think a 3790 has a 7" screen but actually it has a 4.3".
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I would guess that the difference has to do with the fact that the 3490's screen is multi touch, duel orientation, glass, with glass being the major factor. It maybe that the size limitation is because of the glass screen.
    iPads have 9.7" multi touch glass screens and the base model is $500, only $100 more than the 3490. Android multi touch tablets are often even cheaper.

So I don't think there's a technical reason for this, it's probably based on some kind of marketing decision about what will sell and how much they can charge vs manufacturing cost.
  • t923347 426 Points
    Yes, I think that's was what I was trying to get at. The glass screen has some type of issue, technical, cost, whatever, that limits it's size on the Nuvi.
  • I know the HD traffic is new to the Nuvi's but how do we think it compares to the nulink traffic?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Well for one thing, the coverage won't be anywhere near as good as AT&T cellular service. Garmin claims a data rate of up to10x faster than the existing RDS/TMC system

http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/
    Digital 3D Traffic

Delivers traffic updates every 30 seconds over the HD Radio™ broadcasting system. That’s up to 10 times faster than traditional traffic receivers.
    I believe the RDS system operates at about 1.2kbs, however only a small slice of that is available for Traffic data (TMC). Radio stations also use RDS to send their station name current program info, date/time and other stuff.

The spec is a bit confusing, but let's be generous and say that .5kbs is devoted to traffic. Then let's also take Garmin at their word and assume that the HD system is 10x faster. That would give us a data rate of 5kbs.

The connected units use AT&T's Edge network that operates at speeds up to 200kbs. Let's also assume that real world performance is only 50% of that, or 100kbs. It would still be 20x faster than the HD radio based traffic. Or be even more pessimistic and assume that EDGE only provides a 50kbs data rate. That's still at least 10x faster than Garmin's claim for HD traffic.

Maybe I've made some mistake in these assumptions? Just based on a quick search of info on the RDS/TMC and EGDE networks. If anyone can offer a more accurate comparison I'd be interested. But it sure doesn't seem like the HD traffic could possibly compare to cellular service even if you make optimistic assumptions about HD and pessimistic ones about EDGE. And clearly there's no way that it will have the coverage that EDGE has.

Also remember that the HD radio system in not bi-directional like EDGE. I assume that capability is what allows you to see traffic conditions at your destination far away on the connected devices, while one-way FM based systems can only show you the traffic in a relatively small radius of your current location.
  • GPS newbie here. Was close to picking up a 2460LMT when they announced the new line up. For those that have seen model year changes in the past, is the 2460 still a good buy (and I notice price is started to be discounted some places now) or would it be smarter to wait for the 2555/2595, which are less expensive yet an unkown at this point, to be released?

Looking at the comparison on Garmin's site for what differs, I don't think I see any deal breaking options for me on any of those 3 models.
  • Please ignore my previous post. I did a compare on the 2460 vs the 2595 and decided with an unsure relase date and unknown quality of a newly released product, I went ahead and purchased a 2460 after getting what I thought was a very good deal.
  • Boyd, I think you're missing some of the key numbers when looking at this HD Radio signal versus connected products.

First off this is an HD Radio signal, not traditional RDS/TMC which takes about 3-7 minutes to receive traffic for an entire metro area. (The more events sent, the slower it takes to receive all the events.) This HD signal can receive data for an entire metro area in 30 seconds. That's the key figure we need to pay attention to. The fastest connected traffic service is TomTom's HD (on connected products) Traffic which receives a traffic update every 2 minutes. So, that's what we need to look at 2 minutes versus 30 seconds. In this case the HD Radio traffic should be better. The information for a device using HD Radio will be more up to date than a connected model.

The big question becomes why do connected devices have such a delay between traffic updates. As you mentioned they are capable of sending over data faster than other sources. The answer is that the software limits the frequency of traffic updates. :) The reason they do this is to limit the amount of data usage for a connected device. As you may have noticed the data plan between a connected product and cellphone are very different. For a cellphone you pay after each service period, this bill will include any overages that may have occurred. GPS devices are prepaid which means the device needs to limit data transfer to prevent overages. If TomTom were to update all their connected products to check traffic every 30 seconds, then they risk having to pay extra money each month to the cell provider or they would have to build that cost into each new product sold.

Yes, you are correct that HD radio will not send traffic from far away cities, but it will receive data for the entire metro area like RDS/TMC. I haven't experienced the connection problem with RDS as you mention. I've noticed that I can receive the signal outside of areas that traffic is reported. This means by the time I hit the metro area I have a full traffic report. By moving the receiver higher you can dramatically improve reception.

Road coverage between a connected product and this HD signal should not change. Even though a connected product can receive a signal outside of major metro areas that doesn't really matter because traffic isn't reported outside major metro areas.

The moral of the story is that we'll need to compare RDS/TMC to connected products, to this new HD Radio system. It should be fun!
  • Can anyone comment on why the "Garmin Lock" is missing from the newest higher end models? That seems like a nice feature ... my thinking is that if someone steals my Garmin, they can't use it! I'd rather have my Garmin ... but would prefer it not be used by a thief. So, to me, it was a nice feature (like PCs, cell phones, etc have).
    Anybody willing to break into a car to steal a GPS device could probably find away around that lock.

My bet is that Garmin was getting too many service calls from owners who accidentally set the Garmin Lock and forgot the password. I've heard stories of kids accidentally setting the Garmin Lock while their parent was sitting at a stop light. In that situation the parent wouldn't know the unlock location or the PIN.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Thanks Esteban, that makes sense. But I think I'm getting a better deal from AT&T at $30 for unlimited 3g data on my iPhone than nuLink users get at $5 for throttled-down EDGE data. :D

The difference between the 1695 and FM receiver was dramatic in my area (Northeast US). I can drive from my home in Southern NJ up the NJ Turnpike and pass through long stretches with no traffic reception on FM. Even in areas about 30 miles from New York City. It's not just me, this has been discussed frequently here. I tried draping the traffic cord over my rear view mirror just to be sure that wasn't the problem. Personally, I find the FM traffic all but useless. I use a regular power cord with my 3790 instead of the traffic receiver. I get better traffic information by listening to the radio.

Gatorguy was nice enough to loan me his 1695 when he first got it. I never passed through an area where it didn't connect to nuLink. AT&T is pretty much everywhere around here.

I think others may be in a situation similar to mine when I worked in Philadelphia. I live over 50 miles out of town and there is no FM traffic whatsoever at my home. If I drive about 15 miles north and get on the Atlantic City Expressway - another very major road - still no traffic reception. Last time I tried, I didn't get any FM traffic until I was maybe 20 miles from Philadelphia. This really limits the usefulness, because I would want to know about any major traffic jams when I first leave the house and have lots of different alternative routes available.

The 1695 connected to nuLink sitting on my desk inside the house, making it much more useful. But the problem is that the quality of the data is highly questionable.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I've heard stories of kids accidentally setting the Garmin Lock while their parent was sitting at a stop light. In that situation the parent wouldn't know the unlock location or the PIN.
    I'd be very suspicious of anybody who used this excuse for Garmin to unlock their GPS. You must press Menu > Tools > Settings > Security > Garmin Lock > OK before even entering your PIN. It's conceivable that your toddler might do that I suppose.

But then you need to enter the 4 digit pin AND enter the the same 4 digits AGAIN to confirm. That starts to approach the "infinite number of monkeys" scenario. :D

But I agree it's a worthless feature and have never used it. If somebody broke into my car and stole the GPS, I would take no solace at all knowing that he couldn't unlock it.
  • If somebody broke into my car and stole the GPS, I would take no solace at all knowing that he couldn't unlock it.
    Knowing your favorite places and where you have been recently might be very helpful information to an identify thief. I like to think my GPS would be nothing more than a paperweight if it fell into the wrong hands.
  • q95 0 Points
    If somebody broke into my car and stole the GPS, I would take no solace at all knowing that he couldn't unlock it.

Knowing your favorite places and where you have been recently might be very helpful information to an identify thief. I like to think my GPS would be nothing more than a paperweight if it fell into the wrong hands.

Agreed. I don't want my GPS stolen, but if it is, I would not want anyone else to use it or access any of MY data! Just like my laptop or cell phone!

I would hope that Garmin would keep such security tools. Cell phones & PC's have this capability, and some corporations require they be used on their issued hardware - for security reasons. If I was customer service, I'd charge some amount of money and have the person send in the device at their cost. Then, do some cross checking that its not reported stolen. I'd think Garmin may pick up more business if they had simple security features built into their devices.
  • Here's a reason to use the lock feature (although I don't):

A story was sent around about this very topic about a week ago at work. Someone broke into a car at a game and stole the GPS and the garage door clicker. They simply drove to "home", opened the garage door, and had access to the house. They knew how long the game was, so they knew how long they had to rob the folks.

Something to think about.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    In most US states you are required to carry your auto registration in your car at all times. So no need to mess around with GPS for the home address, just look at the registration card. I guess it was handy to have the gps for directions though.
  • Speed limits are adjustable on the 3400 series; it was omitted from the advanced 2xxx series' manuals, but I'm sure you can do that on those units, as well.
    Alas, it's been confirmed to me that this is not an error of omission. There will be no speed limit adjustment feature on the 2xx5 models.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I hear those "robbed by GPS" stories and warnings all the time, but I just don't buy it as something to worry about. In the example given here, how did the thief know that all of the people who lived in the house were at the game? These types of stories almost all have the thief making the assumption that because one car isn't home that nobody is home and nobody else will come home.

As Boyd said, the GPS isn't necessary for that type of crime to happen. A car registration, insurance card, magazine in the car or other piece of mail, etc. Yet we don't get email warning chain letters being sent about leaving mail in your car or hiding your car registration in a secret location in your car.

I talked with someone in law enforcement about this a couple of years ago. His response (although only one opinion) was that he wished more people would not set a PIN and put their home address in the GPS because he could then return far more of the GPS devices they had recovered to their proper owner.

It makes a good sound byte, good email chain letter fodder, and people love "technology designed to help you turns against you" stories.

Anyway, to each their own opinion on this one. But it would be far easier to just grab my address from other things in my car than it would to get it from the GPS.
  • alanb 539 Points
    ...I talked with someone in law enforcement about this a couple of years ago. His response (although only one opinion) was that he wished more people would not set a PIN and put their home address in the GPS because he could then return far more of the GPS devices they had recovered to their proper owner...
    I actually carry this one step further and have a message on the startup splash screen that reads "If found please contact: email address, cell phone #". Since I often take the GPS with me, I think I have as big a risk of losing it as I do of having it stolen. There are a lot of honest people.
  • Speed limits are adjustable on the 3400 series; it was omitted from the advanced 2xxx series' manuals, but I'm sure you can do that on those units, as well.

Alas, it's been confirmed to me that this is not an error of omission. There will be no speed limit adjustment feature on the 2xx5 models.
    That's a move I disagree with. Oh well...shouldn't be a deal breaker. I just like the idea that I can change speeds where I see updates, and there are a LOT of them in Northwest Indiana...especially on Interstates. :)

That aside, I understand the reservations about HD Radio, but I perceive that it isn't the only source of traffic info, and that it can improve over time. I'm just ready to get it from Amazon. Then, we will learn the true effectiveness of this feature. In about a month's time, if things hold firm...
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    On the models with user-changeable speed limits (I guess that's only the 24x0?).... what happens when you perform a map update? Do you lose the custom speeds that you had previously set?
  • The 1695 will get the same traffic data when Navteq updates their coverage.

On the Garmin traffic page it shows a 'Live 3D Traffic' also.

The added coverage is the 3D traffic. They probably are going to cut in all the probe data from Trapster users and the new OS7 Blackberrys which will all be probes along with any Nokia phones.

http//www.nn4d.com/site/global/build/traffic/coverage/p_landing_page.jsp

Americas

North America 134 markets
    Connecting interstate highways in the United States
    Arterial coverage coming soon
    I know the HD traffic is new to the Nuvi's but how do we think it compares to the nulink traffic?
  • So, I went forward with the order, and Amazon says they will notify me when it is delivered.

@ offthegrid: is the site you referenced in reference to the expectation of Digital 3D traffic, or the Nulink services? Just making sure.

Anyway, I am interested to see how the D3D traffic works.

Question for the gallery: is it worth the extra purchase to buy a protection plan (against accidents)? Or, will a good case suffice? I rarely carry it in my hands (except in Vegas), and I keep it as close to my person as possible.
  • Hard to say if a protection plan is worth it. It would be worth if you need but of course if you never needed it it wouldn't be worth it. I almost never buy any protection plan or extended warranties and have been pretty lucky to never have need them. The only protection plan I ever bought was for my iPhone 4 and in the year or so I have had it I haven't needed to use the plan.