This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New 2012 Nuvi Lineup : Was: Got e-mail today?

124»

Comments

• I have a 3490lmt as well in Minneapolis St. Paul area. No traffic here either. I see there's a place to plug something in on the side of the power cord. I didn't find anything in my box to plug in. Does anyone have this? Looking at the web site, it looks like you need the GTM 60 to get the traffic for this receiver. Does anyone know if you have to order this? Why would it not come in the box?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    The 3490lmt comes with the GTM 60 traffic receiver it is part of the power cord, you can see that on the back of the part the plugs into the cigarette lighter. The little plug in the side of the cord is for an external antenna. There must be something wrong with this receiver because there seems to be a lot of people having the same problem, I have read it on different sites.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    The 'little plug for an external antenna' is for use in UK and maybe other countries to boost low power FM reception, it's not supplied (or needed?) in the US.
  • Thanks for that last post. I was going to ask if anyone received anything to plug in. I really hate it when companies sell a product that's not ready for market. Or at least it appears its not ready for market. Now what?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I was concerned about this when we discussed a couple months ago. Do you think there's actually a problem with the receiver, or just a lack of coverage? http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/161887/
    The fancy digital 3d traffic won't be of much use if there isn't enough coverage for the HD radio broadcast signals.
  • Well, I'm in the MSP service area. We've got alot of HD and I can get the HD radio signals as far as 50 miles north of Mpls. I don't know if this is the signal that would send traffic, but I'm not even getting it right in the 10 mile from Mpls circle.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I also live around the Twin Cities area, there is like 17 HD stations, I have been able to get a signal just a few times but most of the time I get no signal. How does the tomtom HD traffic work? I had a tomtom 2535 that had HD Traffic and had no problem getting a traffic signal with it.

If you look here http://www.hdradio.com/stations/Minnesota-MN/Minneapolis-St.+Paul-54 it even shows 3 PND HD Radio PND Receivers, the nuvi 3490lmt, GTM 60, and Cydle.
  • If you got it via TOM TOM, then there has to be either a design flaw or software flaw. Not good. I'll be calling them on Monday, not expecting much though.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Does the 60 GTM only get traffic from HD stations or should it get traffic from FM if you are in an area without HD radio?
  • The 3D HD GTM60 receiver supposedly gets FM as well, but I am having a problem with my 2595 and the add on GTM60! As well as getting lost on the trip out West now I am getting no traffic at home with the new receiver.
  • I agree, I live in the Chicago area and have a garmin 2595, got the 3D HD traffic receiver and get no signal what so ever. I had to call garmin, they just stated that they will resend me a new receiver. Have read other post on this receiver and none good so far. Hoping the next one works
  • Went to Cosco near Chattanooga, Tn, 27 min delay for traffic data, never received any by the time we left, please let us know how the replacement works = LOL
  • I noticed the Tom Tom 2535 post, I gave up on the TTM 2535 now` looking back silly and stupid reasons - Act in haste regret in leisure could not be more correct!
  • The TT 2535 picks up an AT&T cell signal the same as the Garmin 1695 & 1690. The HD title part of either product is just hype.
    I also live around the Twin Cities area, there is like 17 HD stations, I have been able to get a signal just a few times but most of the time I get no signal. How does the tomtom HD traffic work? I had a tomtom 2535 that had HD Traffic and had no problem getting a traffic signal with it.

If you look here http://www.hdradio.com/stations/Minnesota-MN/Minneapolis-St.+Paul-54 it even shows 3 PND HD Radio PND Receivers, the nuvi 3490lmt, GTM 60, and Cydle.
  • Good evening. I was able to get the traffic working today here in Minneapolis area. I talked with a CSR from Garmin for about 10 minutes today and we got it going. I had seen this explanation on the Garmin Support website, but the directions were very confusing and I was not able to complete it on my own. So, here's what we did:

1-Place the unit in the bracket and plug it in.
    2-Select "view map"
    3-Touch the "miles per hour" place on the screen--not the speed limit.
    4-This should bring up the "trip log" on a black screen.
    5-In the top center is another "miles per hour" circle. Press directly in the middle of this and hold it. In about 15 seconds, you should get a "diagnostic menu"
    6-From this menu, select "developer info" I believe is the correct title
    7-Touch the down arrow and select "FM Table" You will see two columns.
    8-In the upper right you'll see the 3 lines. Touch those lines.
    9-You will see a "reset" option. Click reset and confirm.
    10-You should see the left column of the "FM Table" now clear.
    11-Using the back arrow clear all the way back to the "view map" screen.
    12-Your traffic should be clear and ready to pick up the HD signals.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
  • I have done that a few times, it may work once you do it (didn't work every time for me) but then the next time you use the GPS you don't get a signal again.
  • Weird. I used it on my 100 mile drive home from work today and tonight in the metro area with a break in between. So, I'll see how it is on my drive in tomorrow. If you email hopefully he can help you.
  • Thanks for the email address I may use it. Garmin had me send my GTM 60 to them and they just got it today so I won't have one again for a little bit. Let me know if it works for you tomorrow without having to reset the FM table again.
  • It sounds like a software glitch possibly. That's too bad because it's marring what should be a great product roll out.
  • Why does the 30/40/50 line have 6 million POIs and the more upscale ones have 8 million?
  • Like the others here, I live in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area. I bought the Garmin 2595 LMT for the 5" screen and got the GTM 60 for the "better" traffic. So far over a couple days, I've only had 2 signal bars of service for about 3 minutes. The rest of the time the traffic is either "Searching for signal, receiver disconnected, or weak signal for 10 minutes (or longer)".

I tried the GTM 60 on another brand new Garmin 2595 LMT and had the same problem. After about 2 hours over the course of several calls with Garmin, they had me recheck the software, reset the FM Traffic Channels and finally clear the entire unit with no successful result. Effectively, I had to do all of the stuff outlined in the post a few prior to this one.

Garmin then said I need to send the GTM 60 in for repair and that they are out of replacement units. I asked if anyone else was having this same problem and they answered that they haven't had this sort of problem. Obviously given the problems other people here are referring to - this seems dishonest to me.
  • I hope I can get a few questions answered about the 2555lmt.

1 - How much memory does it have?
    2 - Does it have road avoidance like the 24XX series?
    3 - When driving does the unit zoom out automatically to 800m (500mi) and resets the zoom level everytime its booted like the 2400 series, or does the unit remember the zoom level between reboots?

I am asking because our local store has those on sale for $140 so I might replace it if questions 2 and 3 are satisfactory.
    Thanks

ohoh, I just noticed that it doesnt come with a powered mount... its already not looking good Garmin...
  • I installed the new software released today, 11/4/11 - Version 3.50 and the traffic still doesn't work properly. You can get it to work properly be clearing the FM Tbl cache following the steps above. This process will take about 4 minutes but then your traffic will work properly. A pain in the butt workaround, but it does work reliably at this point. Keep letting Garmin Techncial Support of the problem - they don't seem to believe this is a widespread problem.
  • I was able to play with a 2555 today and I have a couple questions...

What happened to the extras menu? Where did it go?
    I had with me a microsd card with geocaches as Custom POI with proximity alert and I couldnt find where to look on the receiver. On my 2450 its under WHERE TO-EXTRAS.

I tried to look at the ecoroute under the apps icon and a window shows up saying to purchase ecoroute and to go to www.garmin.com/ecorouteunlock .
    When I got home I looked at the site and I could not find any info about unlocking (cost) the ecoroute only about buying the ecoroute HD which the 2555 does not support.
    So Im guessing that the ecoroute features found on previous models is gone. :(

I was glad to see that the zoom glitch seems to be fixed, hooray for that. but the map doesnt look as nice as the 2450. At least at 800meters zoom it shows all the streets, it also looks like it shows alot more street names as well, but the map just looks like low resolution or something.
    Its particularly visible the zoom level indicator on the map display.
    I can barely read what it says as it is so low resolution.

The 2555 also loses the mytrends.... not sure how useful that feature is thou.
    I could not find a way to customize the main menu. another nice feature gone.

It also only comes with 4gb memory.

Overall not sure if the unit is worth upgrading to for someone with a 1XXX or 24XX or 3XXXX series imo.
  • I installed the new software released today, 11/4/11 - Version 3.50 and the traffic still doesn't work properly. You can get it to work properly be clearing the FM Tbl cache following the steps above. This process will take about 4 minutes but then your traffic will work properly. A pain in the butt workaround, but it does work reliably at this point. Keep letting Garmin Techncial Support of the problem - they don't seem to believe this is a widespread problem.
    Got my replacement gtm 60 today and hooked up only once so far and let it sit awhile and it didn't get a signal but will give it a try tomorrow on the way to work. Maybe it has something to do with Minnesota since 3 of us live/work in same area and have same problem. :)

Should the gtm 60 get traffic from any HD station or is there only certain ones? We have like 17 HD stations in the area.
  • My GPS FM Table most often (after resetting) shows the following FM Traffic providers: 87.5, 94.5, 97.1, 100.3, 101.3, 102.1 and 107.1 Of these, it picks 107.1 as the signal source each time as it is the last on scanned. As you may know if you travel much beyond the metro area, 107.1 has the weakest signal of the bunch which is why I only get 1 or 2 bars at best on the GPS traffic when it is working.

Interestingly enough, I headed out of town this weekend and eventually 107.1 was out of range. A rescan selected KS95 (94.5) which resulted in 5 bars of reception and an additional range of about 20 miles.

My guess is that your replacement GTM 60 will be 100% fine just like the one it replaced - it's the GPS software that is the problem. You'll have to go into diagnostics and rescan each time the GPS is turned off.

The GTM 60 receiver seems to be doing its job - I believe there are problems with the software / firmware. Are there people in other areas having the same problems that we are in the Twin Cities?
  • I was wondering if theres a review somehwere with screenshots highlighting the difference between the guidance 2.0 and 3.0 versions?
    Im curious to see what the differences are and if its worth the extra money.
  • My GPS FM Table most often (after resetting) shows the following FM Traffic providers: 87.5, 94.5, 97.1, 100.3, 101.3, 102.1 and 107.1 Of these, it picks 107.1 as the signal source each time as it is the last on scanned. As you may know if you travel much beyond the metro area, 107.1 has the weakest signal of the bunch which is why I only get 1 or 2 bars at best on the GPS traffic when it is working.

Interestingly enough, I headed out of town this weekend and eventually 107.1 was out of range. A rescan selected KS95 (94.5) which resulted in 5 bars of reception and an additional range of about 20 miles.

My guess is that your replacement GTM 60 will be 100% fine just like the one it replaced - it's the GPS software that is the problem. You'll have to go into diagnostics and rescan each time the GPS is turned off.

The GTM 60 receiver seems to be doing its job - I believe there are problems with the software / firmware. Are there people in other areas having the same problems that we are in the Twin Cities?
    Kinda sorta. I kept the original GTM 60 the came with my GPS. Like you said, I believe it's more of a firmware issue than it is the hardware itself. Looking at the FM table, I do get signals from the TTN (Total Traffic Network) as well as NAVTEQ. Looks like it will jump in and out at will; I have to research more on what HD stations get the best signal.

When I took the 3490 on a weekend trip to Grand Rapids, MI, I had a strong signal (four or five bars, in the green) for almost the entirety of the trip, and it kicked in when I was near Hudsonville (about 20-25 miles southwest of downtown). However, in Hobart, I flirt with the three bar range, though I get two most of the time. For the interim, I drape the receiver over the rear view to get signal. I like what I get, I just think a firmware update (for the GTM 60) will help things further.

(On a light note, I get a lot of information for the Detroit area quite often. Strange things happening...) :)
  • I did get a signal to and from work but only when I reset the FM table. To work I had 4-5 bars part of the way then the last 7-8 miles the signal went away and didn't come back. It did tell me of a short delay to work which was accurate but on the way home an accident warning popped up but as I got to the spot there was no traffic or accident.
  • What part of the city are you in and which station did your receiver choose after you did the GPS FM Table reset? I live in the North Metro and keep getting stuck with 107.1
  • Mine looks looks like it uses 107.1 too. I having been driving from Stillwater to Coon Rapids. Hope a firmware update does make things better for the traffic.

On the FM tables screen where it shows the list of stations are those the stations that it should be getting traffic from, because when I look it lists about 7 or 8 stations if I get a traffic signal or not?
  • zorax2 0 Points
    edited November 2011
    The FM Table is a list of providers available to the GPS that provide a usable signal. The problem is that the GPS software does not choose the station with the strongest signal of all of those listed on the GPS FM table.

I received an email regarding the problem today from Garmin stating that there is "something that needs to be fixed with a software update". The CSR had no time line as to when the problem might be fixed nor is there any way to be notified by Garmin when a new update is available though she stated she would email me.

This traffic problem will not be fixed until new software is released and there is no sense in trying to download new software every day to find when it is released. Does anyone know how to know when Garmin releases a new software update? I sure wish it would be posted by Garmin or that registered users would be automatically notified of the problem.

If anyone else is having the traffic problems with the GTM 60, it is critical that you contact Garmin to let them know how widespread this problem is so that they'll dedicate the resources to fix this problem ASAP.
  • I just noticed something today driving home about the traffic on my 3490. I reset the FM table to get a signal like before and got a signal after a few minutes. I kept it on the traffic info screen and happened to be looking at the screen at the right time and saw the message on the top switch from "Traffic up to date" to "receiver disconnected" to "searching for signal", receiver disconnected message only popped up for a split second. The traffic signal went away and didn't come back. I checked the connections and everything was plugged in fine so not sure why it said the receiver was disconnected. It seems there is a problem when the receiver is disconnected or thinks it is and then reconnected and not getting a signal unless to reset the FM table.
  • I've experienced the identical problem. The GPS states "Receiver Disconnected" from time to time even when there is no break in the power circuit. I think it all has to do with the weak signal in our area and Garmin not issueing a software fix.
  • Sad part is the signal is not weak in our area because when I do get a signal I usually get 4 - 5 bars
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    I made a permanently wired install of 3490LMT in my 335i. In order to do that I split the traffic antenna wire from the power wire along the entire length of the cable (the antenna is cut off right before the cig adapter).

The power wire is hidden inside the dashboard, while the traffic antenna is lying on top of the dashboard (under the bottom edge of the windshield). I remember reading that horizontal orientation is not the best for FM reception, however in my case I get perfectly good traffic reception virtually at all times (San Francisco bay area).

Sometimes it doesn't seem to be up to date, sometime it is pretty precise (which is probably normal), but the signal reception itself appears to be pretty good.
  • I'm having intermittent traffic reception issues also with new 3490LMT. Tried resetting table with the above procedure but won't clear. Does it need to be plugged into power cord for this to work? Also - has anyone tried adding external antenna option to see if that makes any difference? It's very flaky right now - go from three bars to nothing while driving interstate in view of HD FM transmitters on nearby mt top.
  • I have tried the using an external antenna which doesn't help. I had e-mailed Garmin a couple weeks ago after exchanging the traffic receiver twice and the 3490 once, which didn't solve the signal problem and this was their response:
    Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this.
    Our Engineering team is aware of the traffic reception issues that are affecting your nuvi 3490LMT, and we are working to develop a solution for this problem. The fix will become available via a future software update. I recommend that you run the WebUpdater program every couple of weeks to see if a software update or additional updates relating to traffic become available. I appreciate your patience.
  • To answer my own question - the unit needs to be plugged into external power in order to clear the FM table - which doesn't help the problem. I also tried an external antenna which helps but only marginally. I emailed support and they want the power cord/receiver sent back for "repair". Happy holidays.
  • I have a 2595 with a stock receiver which has lifetime NavTeq I can see both NavTeq and CC stations on my list off the page. CC are always more at or to the top. If I check what is being used, it is never CC station. I can watch the receiver information keep changing, rather quickly but stays on a Navteq channel at the bottom of the chart. This coincides with what others report.

So it seems like there is a problem with the evaluation logic in the unit firmware for even FM reception.

Do I need to purchase a CC plug to get its traffic and if I do, then do I loose NavTeq entirely [maybe not so bad]. Or is there a subscription that uses same, obviously working, antennae.?

TIA
  • Just saw this on engadget. Are just announcing the HD traffic service late since the 3490 has been out a bit or did they make some changes?
    NAVTEQ Traffic over HD Radio™ is the only 30-second traffic service commercially available for Personal Navigation Devices today

CHICAGO, Dec. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- NAVTEQ, the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data enabling navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world announces the delivery of NAVTEQ Traffic™ over HD Radio™ used to power the launch by Garmin International, the global leader in satellite navigation, of Garmin Digital Traffic. NAVTEQ can now deliver Traffic updates approximately every 30 seconds over 270,000 miles of the HD Radio™ broadcasting system across the United States. The ultra-rich transmission is 4 – 10 times faster than other traffic services making this the world's most extensive and fastest traffic service a consumer can find. The enabled technology is given that NAVTEQ Traffic is now transmitted over a wider radio frequency spectrum broadcasted over 3,400 HD Radio towers.

Available on Garmin's nuvi 3490LMT, NAVTEQ Traffic over HD Radio™ brings a superior navigation experience to the user interface of Garmin devices. By providing unprecedented live traffic coverage, with more detailed information about traffic incidents and road conditions, it allows consumers to experience the freshest and most up-to-date information around them by reducing latency.

"Garmin, with NAVTEQ's technology, brings the next generation of navigation to users of the nuvi 3490LMT for the first time in the U.S.," commented Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales. "Our new Digital Traffic technology powered by NAVTEQ not only offers the highest quality map experience but can also tell drivers which areas to avoid and how to navigate around any congestion even faster than before."

"The decision by Garmin to offer NAVTEQ Traffic data over the new HD Radio technology is a great step forward in meeting consumer demand in the industry today," commented Dave Dale, vice president North America sales, NAVTEQ. "We strive to bring enhanced navigation experiences to as many consumers as possible and with Garmin's capabilities, we are making it a reality."

NAVTEQ Traffic over HD Radio™ is included with the Garmin nuvi 3490LMT, and is also compatible with other selected nuvi devices via the Garmin GTM 60 adapter (sold separately).
  • Well that just fills me with joy when theres no HD radio anywhere where I live nor there is any traffic service at all.

They should focus on expanding to non serviced areas before improving what they have...
  • To those of you having traffic issues there is new update avalable which may resolve the problem.

nuvi 24x5 and 25x5 (GCD File) software version 4.40
    as of January 6, 2012

Changes made from version 3.70 to 4.40:

1. Smartphone Link feature.

2. Yellow Pages feature to location searches for some markets.

3. an error that caused traffic features to malfunction in Minneapolis, Nashville, and Las Vegas.

4. software to comply with France Safety Camera decree.

5. map-drawing performance.

6. search performance.

7. traffic performance.

8. other small fixes.

Hopefully now we can get the traffic icon always being green even when not receiving a signal, issue fixed.
  • Wow, it sounds like they found the problem. I know a few users were from Minneapolis that had problems.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I am one from Minneapolis that had problems and this update didn't fix the traffic problem for me. Did the update, reset the unit and let it sit outside in truck and got the message no signal for 24 minutes, did the reset FM table trick and still nothing. Also one of the people from Nashville that has a comment on amazon.com still has the traffic signal problem too even after the update.
  • Have you updated everything on your unit including the GTM piece? My GTM 60 version is showing as version 2.0 and seems to work fine here in Ohio. It may be even be improved with this latest update as it was almost instantly locked onto a loacal HD station after starting up this afternoon.

The only updates I show as available for my unit are all voices for different languages which I am not installing. Might be worth checking into.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I will have to look again but thought I only saw voice and speech recognition updates available.

Mine shows it has version 2.0.