This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

1490T Tutorial on deleting unnecessary files to make room

2»

Comments

• Boyd 1998 Points
    Oh, I'm sure it is still there. You need to follow my example exactly. You must first open the window for the Nuvi disk itself because that is where the hidden folder is. If you are in a different window, it won't work. Also make sure that you do not forget to enter the "dot" in ".system".
  • I wrote a tutorial on deleting unnecessary files to free up space. I think many people will find it helpful. I welcome your feedback and comments.

1490T Tutorial 2. Notes on deleting unnecessary files to free up space. And, notes on other files.
    This tutorial, and others, is stored on my Microsoft SkyDrive Account.
    To open this tutorial, click the link below, then click the name of the tutorial.
    http://cid-c6483e8a197b8356.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/nuvi1490T/Tutorials

I have a Garmin nuvi 1490T (2GB internal memory). After deleting unnecessary files, I was able to install the "2012.20 Full Coverage of North America" map update to internal memory, and still have 96MB free. Initially I installed "2012.20 Lower 49 States" to internal memory, and installed Alaska, Canada, and Mexico as a supplemental map on my device's storage card using MapSource. While this approach takes a few more steps, it supplies the full map and when using the device I can't tell the difference.

My 1490T notes will (AFAIK) apply to nuvi 13xx/14xx (they use same firmware) and nuvi 1xxx, and parts at least to other nuvi models.
  • chesalto 0 Points
    Lilla, although I've had my Garmin 1490LMT for 3 years, I've neglected to update the maps since after using the device a lot for the first 2 years, I'm really not using it that much. We're getting ready to go overseas for almost a month in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to do some updating and having some horrid problems....I'm hoping your tutorials will help me in that process. Garmin's website doesn't "recognize" my password (!) which I set up when I originally registered in 2010 and then reset in 2011....but it does recognize my device when I plug the unit into my computer. I've downloaded "Garmin Express", but it's telling me my internal memory is full. Sigh. Going to try your suggestions....just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to put all of this into writing which looks to be very clear. Wish me luck