1490T Tutorial on deleting unnecessary files to make room
  • Lilla
    I wrote a tutorial on deleting unnecessary files to free up space. I think many people will find it helpful. I welcome your feedback and comments.

1490T Tutorial 2. Notes on deleting unnecessary files to free up space. And, notes on other files.
    This tutorial, and others, is stored on my Microsoft SkyDrive Account.
    To open this tutorial, click the link below, then click the name of the tutorial.
    http://cid-c6483e8a197b8356.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/nuvi1490T/Tutorials

I have a Garmin nuvi 1490T (2GB internal memory). After deleting unnecessary files, I was able to install the "2012.20 Full Coverage of North America" map update to internal memory, and still have 96MB free. Initially I installed "2012.20 Lower 49 States" to internal memory, and installed Alaska, Canada, and Mexico as a supplemental map on my device's storage card using MapSource. While this approach takes a few more steps, it supplies the full map and when using the device I can't tell the difference.

My 1490T notes will (AFAIK) apply to nuvi 13xx/14xx (they use same firmware) and nuvi 1xxx, and parts at least to other nuvi models.
  • Lilla
    I changed the name to...

1490T Tutorial 2. Guide to deleting unnecessary files to free up space. And, notes on other files.

seems a better name.
  • Brilliant !!!!! 😀 😀

Many thanks from Canada

Ron
  • t923347
    Lilla , just looked at your tutorial re backing up the files on your device. The link to the backup process you attribute to me doesn't seem to work. It appears in the document like a link but I can't get the little hand to appear link I can to your link and e-mail address.
  • Lilla
    Thanks, I will fix it and update the downloadable file
  • Lilla
    t923347 said:

Lilla , just looked at your tutorial re backing up the files on your device. The link to the backup process you attribute to me doesn't seem to work. It appears in the document like a link but I can't get the little hand to appear link I can to your link and e-mail address.

Thanks again for letting me know.

I updated the backup tutorial, and uploaded corrected file. However, the problem extends to my other tutorials. It's a techical matter. I will iron it out and update them too, but it might take me a little while. I know the problem, know working on solution.
  • Lilla
    UPDATE. The issue with the links has been sorted, and all affected tutorials have been updated.

Lilla
  • jakey
    I'm not able to access your tutorials either by downloading or simply just opening. Can you help?
  • jakey
    Yes, I am using that page.
  • sussamb
    Well it's working fine for me ⁉

Do you maybe have a setting in your firewall that's stopping the download?
  • jakey
    Even with pausing AV and Windows firewall........I'm having no luck.
  • sussamb
    Maybe there's a problem with your server at the mo? It certainly works for me, which points to something at your end :?
  • alanb
    These are PDF documents. Do you have a working copy of Adobe Reader on your computer?
  • jakey
    Yes, I do have AR and it's up to date.
    If you would, give me the step by step procedure to get the PDf's.
    It worked at one time, 2 or 3 weeks ago but not now.
    Also one must be logged into Sky Drive?
  • sussamb
    No need to log in. Go to the web page and click on the tutorial you want, should be simple :wink:

Here's a direct link to the first one, does that work for you?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c6483e8a197b8356&id=C6483E8A197B8356!396&sc=documents
    %23cid#cid=C6483E8A197B8356&id=C6483E8A197B8356%21461&sc=documents%23cid
  • jakey
    I'm sorry to say that is doing nothing, too.
    Gonna see if Windows Firewall is some how blocking it.
    Even if I disable both the firewall and the AV it still does nothing when click save or open.
  • sussamb
    You can't open or save the link by clicking on it, you need to copy and then paste it into your browser :wink:
  • jakey
    the link you sent works but when one selects what and how to download, ie. open or save, you click save, save as, or open and nothing happens. It's just not downloading, period!
  • sussamb
    The second link is a direct link to Tutorial One. When you copy and paste it into your browser you shouldn't need to open or save anything. If nothing is downloading then something is wrong somewhere on your PC.
  • jakey
    must be the case.
    Can you try and send me the files one by one ?
  • sussamb said:

Maybe there's a problem with your server at the mo? It certainly works for me, which points to something at your end :?

It works for me also. No problem when viewing the PDF files.

jakey, who is your ISP? I am using Adobe Reader 9. ver:9.5.2
  • jakey
    ATT/yahoo

Adobe Reader is 10.1.4
  • You might want to check out the Adobe forums. I have seen numerous post with users using AR10 and problems opening up PDF files. That is why I am sticking with AR9 for now.
  • Boyd
    sussamb said:

No need to log in. Go to the web page and click on the tutorial you want, should be simple :wink:

Hmm. I copied your link and pasted it into my browser and got this

sign in

Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.

Don't have a Microsoft account? Sign up now

I then scrolled up to Lilla's first post and clicked on the live link. Got the same thing. Lots of redirects were happening each time. Enough so that it would make me concerned if I wasn't sure what I was clicking on....

To be clear, this has nothing to do with Adobe. I am not able to access the Skydrive site and never get as far as needing Acrobat.
  • Boyd
    UPDATE...

I was using Safari on MacOSX in my previous post. Just fired up my Windows machine with firefox and - surprise - the link works as expected.

Then I tried an old version of Firefox that I have on my Mac. It also failed with the same error as Safari.

Strange. Maybe there is some incompatibility with Skydrive on the Mac?
  • jakey
    Tried again this morning and Win7 is telling me the file can't be downloaded???
  • jakey
    anyone willing to send me these tutorials via email?
    If so contact me through messages
  • I posted the tutorial files to Dumptruck. Try downloading from:

https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/Ge04HHpQR-
  • jakey
    I don't have a DumpTruck account, can't login, sorry
  • You don't need one. Copy and paste the link into your browser and you should be able to download the file. All 5 tutorials are in a zip file.
  • lmacmil
    I freed up about 400MB on my 1350T by following these instructions, mostly from deleting all the non-English language text and help files.
  • jakey
    Windows7 is not allowing me to download the file, same scanario as from
    Sky Drive. I sect "save as " and nothing happens.
  • t923347
    I'm confused about how or why your using Save As at this point. If you can't download the file(s) what is there to save? Or have I missed something?

I just tried the Dumptruck link and it works fine.

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome? In your browser settings, what folder are downloads sent to?

I ask because I recently changed the default download location for a specific purpose and then neglected to change it back to the previous setting and spent a few frustrating minutes attempting to figure out where all my new downloads were ending up. :roll:

Also if your using Chrome, I sometimes miss the bouncing arrow in bottom left corner of the screen that indicates the download is happening.

Are you able to download other files from other websites? Are you able to download other PDF files? There is something wrong with your Windows 7, browser, and/or security setup as your problem doesn't seem to be happening for others.
  • jakey
    First off when I select the download button, the save as or save window pops up. Trouble is after I make the choice as to where to save it. It will not save............... you click the save and nothing happens.
    Browser is IE9.
    Downloads go to downloads.
    I'm going to trythis whole thing onother computer I have access to but it's XP.Will let you know what happens. Thanks for all the follow up on this one.
  • t923347
    OK, I now see what you maybe running into. When I try to download the zip file from the Dumptruck site I click on the Download File icon and at the bottom of the IE9 screen I see a message box which reads:

Do you want to save Garmin 1490 Tutorials_zip?dl=1 from dl.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com and there is a SAVE and Cancel box.

If I select Save or Save as, the download folder opens but you can't actually save or save as the file. I suspect that the reason for this is that Garmin 1490 Tutorials_zip?dl=1 is not a valid file name. I attempted to rename the file to Tutorials.zip but that didn't work either.

If I open the Chrome browser, clicking on the Download File icon in Dumptruck simply downloads the file Garmin 1490 Tutorials.zip to the download folder.

The problem seems to be something to do with IE9.
  • jakey
    That was it, IE9 and Win7.
    I successfully downloaded the files on a Win XP laptop.
    Thanks for the help with this , all of you.
  • drugo
    thanks a lot for the guide!
  • drugo
    in the garmin new , i found inside the garmin folder LEX_PKG

size 702 KB (719.380 byte)
    size on disk 2,09 MB (2.195.456 byte)

i gues it's the oxford demo , it could be addded to files to delete , could not it?

cheers
  • t923347
    Sure.
  • drugo
    t923347 said:

Sure.

thanks
    is this topic the only tutorial about delete not necessary files/folder ?

a topic like this should be pinned or be sticky

cheers
  • sussamb
    There is already See the sticky on how to make more space for a map update

If you look you're already posting in it :lol:
  • drugo
    sussamb said:

There is already See the sticky on how to make more space for a map update

If you look you're already posting in it :lol:

yep
    sometime i lose oneself in the forum😞
    maybe could be added folder LEX_PKG in the list
  • alanb
    Hopefully, Lilla (the author of the tutorial) checks the forum periodically and will see your suggestion.
  • irist
    After reading many posts about trying to update my maps (not enough room to install just the lower 49 states), I am just as confused as before I started.

My questions is basic - Where/how do I delete files? I do not see any options to delete files when I have my Garmin plugged into my computer during install, or when I look at the settings on the Garmin.
  • sussamb
    You don't say which nuvi you have but the tips in the article linked to in the first post should get you started :wink:

Although it covers the nuvi 1490 it applies equally to most nuvis.
  • irist
    I have the 1450. This article does not explain how to get to the Garmin drive to delete info; however, when I went back to look at the article again, I found the link to the Garmin site for deleting files, which I had missed before.

Also, for anyone else trying to find where/how to delete files, this does not show if the Garmin is plugged in for the maps update process. You have to close the maps updater first--which explains why I could not find the files to delete before.
  • sussamb
    The files are always there if you have your nuvi connected to your PC and open your nuvi drive using Windows Explorer, just like any drive that you attach to your PC. Glad you've got it sorted though :wink:
  • irist
    Also, after I deleted some of the files, my maps updater gave me new options: delete old files, clean up, etc. Before this, I only had 1 option available: insert an SD card. Seems to be updating now...

BTW, I do not have Windows. I have a Mac.
  • Boyd
    Note that the map is stored in an invisible folder on your 1450. See my post about halfway down the page in this thread for how to reveal the hidden folder on your Mac: How to backup your Nuvi

And while you're at it, make a backup of you 1450 as well. It could save you a lot of trouble someday. 😃
  • irist
    Thank you for the Mac info, Boyd. I did backup my Garmin before I loaded the new map. The invisible .system file says it is not found for me though. I assume it must be called something else on mine.

I have a lot of files that have names which make no sense to me, so I am afraid to delete them. At least I have my map updated now, so I will just have my computer son see what the other files are when I see him again.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!