Nuvi 3790LMT or 3490LMT?
  • Nuvi 3790LMT or 3490LMT?

Which model is better? The newer, Oct 2012 release, 3490LMT or the older but higher up 3790LMT.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=97509
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402&pID=87930

Comparison
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=87930
  • I'll keep this as simple as possible.

Both the 3790 and 3490 look similar in size (the 3490 is a touch slimmer, but barely noticeable). They both have the same screen resolution. They share a lot of the same features (accelerometer, voice commands, nuRoute technology, photo-realistic junction views).

Now, the differences:

The 3790 uses standard FM Traffic (which has improved a bit, putting some emphasis on side streets). The 3490 uses traffic over HD Radio; simply put, there's more bandwidth, allowing for more flow of information, better signals, and much faster updating.

The 3490 has features not found on the 3790, including Exit Services (essential POIs found along your route while on interstates or other limited access highways, available for at least the first five exits), the ability to receive texts-by-voice, the ability to customize your menus and maps, and a new interface which puts more emphasis on the actual address, and not the city where it may be.

I hope this helps. Both Nuvis are feature-rich, so your mileage may vary. However, I am an admitted techie, so I will pass my 3790T to my parents, since they agreed to buy it off me, thus allowing me to put it toward the 3490. Don't be disappointed in either one.
  • Good information. I'm in the market for one and had my eye on the 3790. Garmin's numbering system of models seem to have no methodology. I'd think the 3490 would be lesser featured than a 3790.

Looks like the 3490 has the better traffic but drops Garmin Lock and Ecoroute. Neither are important to me but it seems like this is a game that Garmin plays. I'd like one that does it all.
  • caryrae
    sbukosky said:

Good information. I'm in the market for one and had my eye on the 3790. Garmin's numbering system of models seem to have no methodology. I'd think the 3490 would be lesser featured than a 3790.

Looks like the 3490 has the better traffic but drops Garmin Lock and Ecoroute. Neither are important to me but it seems like this is a game that Garmin plays. I'd like one that does it all.

They really didn't drop ecoroute you just need to buy at their app store on the unit for $9.99 I believe, unless you have the ecoroute hd module then you get it free.
  • Boyd
    There seems to be a lack of information about the Digital 3d Traffic on Garmin's site - or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Their traffic page is here:

http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/

Digital 3D Traffic

Delivers traffic updates every 30 seconds over the HD Radio™ broadcasting system. That’s up to 10 times faster than traditional traffic receivers. With Digital 3D Traffic, you get all the advantages of our extensive 3D Traffic avoidance system with the added benefit of up to 10 times more frequent updates.

Digital 3D Traffic is available on the nüvi 3490LMT and with the purchase of a Digital 3D Traffic accessory receiver for compatible nüvi 2405, nüvi 2505 and 3400 series personal navigators equipped with 3D Traffic.

That's fine, but what is the coverage area? Since it relies on broadcasters using the HD standard, I wonder if coverage will be even worse than the old RDS/TMC FM traffic (which is pretty terrible outside of major cities).

When you click on the link "view live traffic coverage", it shows traffic incidents and not the coverage area of the broadcasts. This is the coverage for Navteq RDS/TMC: http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/
  • caryrae
    The only way I could find coverage is on the HD Radio website but it only tells you the states and the cities that have HD Radio broadcasting not a coverage map. I thought since tomtom uses HD traffic they might show a map on their site but couldn't find one there either.
  • caryrae
    I found some pictures for the Digital traffic receiver and see what looks like new road colors for incidents, at least I am not sure if these new colors are new.

• caryrae said:

I found some pictures for the Digital traffic receiver and see what looks like new road colors for incidents, at least I am not sure if these new colors are new.

The solid colors have always been there; they were based on the flow of traffic. Now, this color legend also addresses the reason there could be an issue, which can be beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

As I've said, I am really curious to see how this works before I make the plunge to buy it. I really wished they made the new receiver compatible for the 3790 series; otherwise, I'd just go for that instead...
  • Boyd
    The fancy digital 3d traffic won't be of much use if there isn't enough coverage for the HD radio broadcast signals. I would wait for them to post a coverage map before I got too excited about this feature.
  • I don't know what stations will be used to carry the traffic signal, but I checked the coverage map for our local public radio news stations for Minneapolis/St. Paul just to get an idea of potential HD radio cover. It appears to be more than adequate at least to cover traffic well before hitting the usual traffic spots here. Coverage appears to extend about 40 miles from city center and most traffic is within 15 to 20 miles: http://maps.google.com/?q=http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/contourplot.kml?gmap=2&appid=198480&call=KNOW-FM&freq=91.1&contour=60&city=MINNEAPOLIS-ST._PAUL&state=MN.

To check a station or sample of stations in your area, go to this page and enter you zip code: http://www.v-soft.com/ZipSignal/default.htm. Then select a station. Once on that page, select "service contour on Google Map."

John
  • I should note that the map provided is the FM coverage at 60 DB. The following page explains why this is a decent proxy for the HD Radio coverage: http://www.hd-radio-home.com/hd-radio-signal-coverage.html

John
  • Boyd
    That's an interesting way to see what the theoretical best-case coverage might be, but we need some real world reports. Look at the comments on the GPSTracklog.com article about the Prestige series; "JohnH" says

Traffic receiver seems way less sensitive. Side by side with the 765t, the 765t showed a slow down I was in but the 3490lmt did not. The real test will be the Friday evening commute home.
  • i agree, we'll need to wait for a critical mass of reviews. For now, i'll sit tight with my 1690.
  • I have both the 3790LMT and just bought the 3490LMT yesterday and after playing around with them and considering the roughly $70-$100 difference between the two (3790LMT being cheaper) I'd say keep your 3790LMT at this point.

The main reason I will be returning the 3490LMT (at least at this point) is I couldn't get the "Safe Text Reader" feature to work with my new BlackBerry and this is the reason I bought the 3490 and was going to return my 3790LMT.

Plus, the icons on the 3790 are nicer and more detailed than the 3490 – not a big deal but noticeable. See pic below…

Also, after playing around with the basics, like entering a plain 'ole address on the 3490 vs. the 3790, it seems like more info is required on the 3490 than the 3790. I think it's because the 3790 asks for the city upfront but the 3490 (despite the city already being in the "Searching near" box), the 3490 will search for an address across 2 STATES!!! Mine being California and Nevada!? Don't know why it does this when the little box in the upper, right corner already says my city and state.

For example, the 3490 will perform the address search across 2 states (in my case California and Nevada) and there can be A LOT of addresses to scroll through trust me! :roll: So in order to get a more accurate list of addresses closest to you, you need to specify East, West, Way, Avenue otherwise it pulls up a bunch of other possible matches for your street name. The 3790 on the other hand asks for your city upfront, so you can simply enter "1234 Main" (and b/c you would have already entered the city, the results are more defined) so the 3790 will pull up possible matches of "E Main Street” etc. and you can quickly choose the correct one.

It's a lot harder to explain but if you play around with a 3490 and enter an address, you will find that it seems to be more tedious than the 3790. Having said that, I also realize you can enter an address in the "Search" bar of the 3490 but then again, you have to be specific and type everything out such as...

"1234 E Main St. City." vs. on the 3790 typing the city, then type "1234 Main" and select the correct suffix (i.e., Street) and it will automatically know East, West, etc. and you’re on your way!

Now please let me know if there is something I’m missing as I’ve really only been able to play around with this for a day. But this is what I’ve found so far.

One very cool feature on the 3490 BUT doesn’t work like it should is it gives you 2 routes to choose from. But having tested this, it didn’t give the ideal route I take to work it simply gave a 2nd very close to the 1st route which was disappointing. I beat the Garmin’s routes all the time and I only wonder how much time I’m wasting when I’m out of town and don’t know any better.

3490LMT is top, 3790LMT is bottom...
    Direct Link:
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/Nickerz30/Fresno-20111108-00047.jpg

• You can speak the entire address using voice command on the 3490. Just say "1234 E Main St, Name of City, CA."
  • You can speak the entire address using voice command on the 3490. Just say "1234 E Main St, Name of City, CA."

True, speaking the address is a little faster on the 3490 than the 3790 but I wouldn't say easier. Entering an address on the other hand with the 3490 seems more complicated and takes more time than expected. I just feel manually entering an address on the 3490 should be faster and easier but it's not.

Then again, there are many times that I have to manually input the address because there are several people in the car all talking, so I can't use the voice command feature.

Again, for the price difference between these two devices, as high as $100+ difference (I paid $299 for the 3790 @ Costco back in August and $399 for the 3490 a couple days ago @ BestBuy), I'd say the 3490LMT has it's benefits but in my opinion it's not worth the extra money.

Not to mention, I've noticed the 3490 taking a lot longer in several tests I've done in trying to find a location vs. the 3790. With a better processor, I would have thought the 3490 would win this test every time.

Both are good devices overall but this has been my experience so far. I still have 30 days to play around with the 3490 to see if it warrants the extra money I paid but I'll keep updating this thread with both the good and bad, all my opinions of course.
  • great discussion... i've debating the same points in my head. Leaning towards the 3490 thankyou
  • Boyd
    We continue to see reports about traffic receiver problems on the 3490. No doubt Garmin will eventually sort this out, but you should be aware of this before buying. See http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/24369/x/p1/ and http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/23690/x/p1/;start=150
  • i errored in my earlier post, i meant leaning towards 3790. save the coin and have great functionality

thanks all
  • i errored in my earlier post, i meant leaning towards 3790. save the coin and have great functionality

thanks all

I was just looking at the 2360LMT at Costco for $175 online and comparing it to my 3790LMT and I can't find any differences? Anyone know the big differences between the 2360LMT and 3790LMT? Especially since the price difference between the two is huge!

For the money, the 2360LMT may be another good alternative to both the 3790 & 3490 models.
  • t923347
    Big differences are in the screen which IMO is worth the difference in price:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=87930&compareProduct=87150

Note the screen resolution and the fact that the 3790 has a glass dual oriented screen.
  • t923347 said:

Big differences are in the screen which IMO is worth the difference in price:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compareProduct=87930&compareProduct=87150

Note the screen resolution and the fact that the 3790 has a glass dual oriented screen.

True, I would pay more for a better screen and I like the glass on my 3790.

Thanks for this info!
  • I've got a NUVI 780 with expiring MSN traffic, which of course makes my perfectly well-functioning GPS almost useless next month. 600 Buck$ in the day, and prices have come down, but I'm a little disconcerted from what I'm hearing.

If somebody has the time, could you confirm my interpretations of this thread:

- On the 3490, there is no auto-completion on the streets names. If so, that's a non-starter for me right out of the gate. Even an old Magellan I had in a rental car actually had a recent memory list, and I loved the way it narrowed down the available valid characters as I was typing. 3490 makes you brute force the entire address, correct?

- My current old-tech traffic, which works fine in Madison, WI may not work at all if I buy either 34/7/90, correct? We've got plenty of HD stations (not sure if any carries traffic, such as 101.5FM), but neither NUVI selects the strongest one, correct? It just selects that last one scanned? And I have to manually re-scan every time I fire it up?

- And routing problems? That's the one thing I didn't expect to hear - that's their primary function, right? How can an advancing technology get worse? I don't have routing problems now, so what happened?

One more thing - I thought I read about some other units using Google for its POI, making them more dynamic and not limited to 6 or 8M points. I've got 6M now which gets updated every few months or so. What happened to the Google POI, if it exists?

Bottom line, I'd rather have no traffic than flakey traffic, and maybe I need to be asking myself, why should I upgrade? I would upgrade if the traffic was a sure thing, but apparently not. And I'd much rather have the unit suggest to me "N Park" AND "S Park" than make me guess at one or the other up-front.

TIA,
    -George
  • sbukosky
    I was holding off for the 3490LMT but the threads about the 3.0 guidance issues made up my mind. I bought a 3790LMT from Amazon. $289. What got me interested again was an email from Garmin with a black friday special on it at $310.

I wondered why Garmin didn't have the 3490 on any kind of special. Made me think that they are having their own doubts about it. No matter, I needed to replace my TomTom 930 which their tech support gave up on getting my traffic working after the last subscription renewal. My map is due for a renewal too. So that would have been around $100+ for all that and then do it again in a year. Also contending with the remote failing to work frequently requiring the gps to be reset, poor POI entry, lousy keypad for my big fingers. Uh uh. Never again.
  • I just found out the 3790 has ads while in a traffic coverage area. Isn't it dangerous to be reading ads while driving? And Annoying? And Intrusive? I guess that narrows it down to the 3490. Does it have ads?
  • Gjr0Gjr0 said:

I just found out the 3790 has ads while in a traffic coverage area. Isn't it dangerous to be reading ads while driving? And Annoying? And Intrusive? I guess that narrows it down to the 3490. Does it have ads?

Just answered my own question - 3490 "Free" traffic is ad-supported. Too bad. Is there a way I can buy an alternative ad-free traffic service, maybe from NAVTEQ or somebody, that has no ads? And I still won't upgrade to any product if I have to enter full street names - that would seem like a downgrade, even with voice commands.
  • mj585
    I'm trying to decide between the 3490LMT and the 3790. However I read that the 3490 doesn't display as many street names as the 3790? I'm not sure how accurate this is and hoping someone who has the product can clarify😃

Also see this review:

What I REALLY dislike about this GPS is the map (to the point I almost returned it...). Street names are really small and ONLY visible as you are driving past them. In my previous GPS I could use the map to zoom in on say downtown Toronto, see the street names and point the GPS to the street I want to go. You can't do that with this. Well, you can, but no street names are visible. If you use your finger to point, it will tell you which street you just clicked,but it won't show any street around it. This feature is almost useless as it is I you can spend a lot of time randomly clicking on the map trying to guesstimate the location of the street on the map. It's a huge flaw and I hope they'll fix it!

is it really this bad or is it an option that can be turned on/off? .. I'd imagine an important feature for me would be to see the street names around you in case you know roughly where you need to go but you don't know the exact address / spelling of the streets?
  • Nuvi 3790LMT or 3490LMT

I am new to this forum and have found this discussion to be excellent. I love the details contributors are taking the time to write. I have had a lot of experience with the 3790LMT and wanted to post to help others.

I, too, am considering the 3490LMT. I had the 3790LMT and ended up returning it because I had problems with it. In fact, I ended up getting three different units of the 3790LMT because of the issues. I finally gave up and decided to wait for the 3490LMT to come out, but the reviews seem to indicate there is not really an improvement.

For the benefit of others, I will list what I discovered with the 3790LMT. Please note that I also had the opportunity to have the three units side by side in the car to compare them (the same model), and they did not even agree with each other!!!

I tried getting help from the tech support of the merchant, but they could not help me. I ended up calling Garmin directly and was told the 3790LMT was the first time they had tried such a slim case; perhaps they needed to address glitches.

One thing I would point out. I had the opportunity to discover more issues with the Garmin because I would get a new unit and have it before I returned the first one to the merchant. That gave me an opportunity to compare the same unit, side by side, in the car. If you are only looking at one unit at a time, you won't see all the differences I saw. You'd assume all the 3790LMT's work the same way, but they didn't!

1) voice command was inconsistent; worked some of the time; other times, would not work
    2) they didn't agree about where my car was; one had me on one side of a road near railroad tracks; the other had me blocks away on the other side of the highway
    3) one had me at 246 ft. altitude; other at over 460ft
    4) speaker was good one one unit; other one had static and words not clear
    5) one would tell me to turn AFTER the intersection; other one would announce before the turn; one would announce a turn as I was passing it
    6) one would recalculate much more quickly than the other one
    7) one would show traffic while the other wouldn't (at same time, in same car; both plugged into car's 12 volt outlet, each with their own traffic cords); then, 15 min later, traffic would show up on the one that did not display traffic👓 one took much longer to acquire satellites than the other
    9) one had a yellow band down the left side of the screen
    10) one would show land features (parks, mountains, bodies of water) while the other did not
    11) Tried the "Where am I?" feature. Two units, side by side, did not agree with each other; had me in different places.
    12) The units would turn themselves off and screen went entirely black during a trip.
    13) One would recalculate faster than the other, which was an issue when driving and taking a wrong turn.
    14) One did not have major landmarks while in Washington, DC.
    15) They would report different speeds when driving.
    16) They would calculate different arrival times.
    17) One took a long time to load the map; while the other two loaded much faster.
    18) They recalculated at different speeds. One was much faster.
    19) One had a bright screen; the other had a yellow tint

However, I ended up returning all three because each unit I tried had several issues. I paid $ 399 for the 3790LMT. I was trying to decide which of the three units had the fewest issues. I was going to keep the one with the least glitches, but when I called Garmin and they told me there were issues with that model, I decided to wait for the new one to come out.

Now, I fear the 3490LMT is not any better.

I would love to hear some comments from others. Did you experience any of these issues?
  • iggy
    Thank you gmiller0844 for your insight on both units.

I also are considering between the 3490 and 3790.
    At the moment I'm leaning for the 3490 if the price ever goes down a little.

All I see is $399.99 every where.
  • Boyd
    You had a quite a run of bad luck with the 3790. I've had mine for a year and a half and have never seen most of the issues you mention.

Regarding the elevation inconsistencies, see:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={66f1b0a0-4cd6-11dc-4733-000000000000}

Support
    Frequently Asked Questions

How accurate is the GPS elevation reading?

[....]
    Once the vertical datum is taken into account, the accuracy permitted by geometry considerations remains less than that of horizontal positions. It is not uncommon for satellite heights to be off from map elevations by +/- 400 ft.
  • t923347
    Maybe the quality has changed but my very early version of the 3790 has been by far the best Nuvi of the 5 I've owned.
  • peshoa
    Actually guys, the hardware is same.I have Nuvi 3760 and I had successfully converted in 3490. Everything is working-Mapsourse is sending routs to the device, i can see the poi icons in navigation, speech commanding, MP3 player-everything. OK, definitely the software of 3490 is better than the one for the 3790. And here is coming the question-when there is new software, and it is better, and the old devices can work with this software, why Garmin don't care and don't post an upgrade for the owners of 37XX? Again absolutely not fair. That why I will continue to read the special forums and will make what I need to improve the device what i have already and will not buy new, where only the software is changed.Garmin will be Garmin...they never care about the customers, they cares only for the sales and the profits....
  • popej
    Nuvi 37xx appeared in spring 2010. Now it is about 1.5 years old. It has quite interesting history of software updates.

From the start it was device with many flows in software design, spectacular bugs and small annoyances. For example: no POI visible on CN maps, missing ETA, naive algorithm for adding VIA, disappearing LA and JCV, tracing routes around the world, SD not working at PC, truncated texts, fonts too small to read.

With all this problems support from Garmin is very weak. Only recently Garmin released 3 buggy firmwares, which addressed some issue like ETA and SD, but introduced again disappearing LA and practically removed possibility to browse map in navigations mode.

In my opinion support for users of 37xx was weak, because Garmin team was designing second version of firmware, now called nuvi 34xx. For example solution for SD problem was present in early 34xx but offered much later to 37xx users (in a new buggy firmware).

My advice is: don't buy 37xx, you can't count on Garmin support for it. But I'm not sure if 34xx will be better😉

If you are interested in 37xx software design and features, like for example VIA in active route, then look for nuvi 2360, which is cheaper hardware with improved software. No 3D gimmicks but at least firmware is maintained and I think there are no evident bugs in current version.
  • Lux
    Okay, here's my two cents.
    I am an owner of several Garman Nuvi products. I have 600 which I gave to my wife upon upgrading to a 1690, and my daughter has a 255W.

So I consider myself fairly well-versed with the Nuvi product line. Couple weeks ago I received an e-mail special which gave me a 30% discount number products from this website. One of the products available was the Garmin 3490 LMT.

Upon first getting the product. I really did like the form factor. It is considerably thinner than the 1690. And seem to have some nice features such as lifetime maps and traffic.

It took about 5 min. from my new joy to turn into disappointment. First, the 3490 LMT lacks the simple four digit security lock that is available on most Garmin products. Now I know that a simple four digit code is not going to stop a determined miscreant, but at least it provides some level of protection in case someone decides to smash a glass and grab your Garmin. Yeah it small enough now where you really can probably just stick it in your pocket. On the way out the door. Maybe that's what Garmin thinks of when they think of security now.

Personally, by this time I would've expected Garmin to have created a remote lock, locate, and remote erace functionality within the top-of-the-line products. Heck, spent as much on my Asus transformer tablet.

Second problem, I used to enjoy looking up addresses on Google maps via Windows selecting the address and sending the link wirelessly to my 1690 Nuvi. One what I thought such very nice functionality would've been included in the new top-of-the-line product. Wrong! Once again Garmin Misses the boat and takes away a piece of functionality that I really enjoyed.

I wonder sometimes exactly what process Garmin uses to determine the functionality they put into the new products. Obviously, they are not listening nor soliciting input from their customers. I suspect if they do not change this method of operation, they will find themselves moving lower in market share.

I think I'll wait a few more weeks since I've not been able to drive a whole bunch since rotator cuff surgery before I make any final judgments on whether the 3490 LMT is an acceptable product. I am disappointed by some of the features that I truly enjoyed that are now lost.

It almost made me rethink what I was considering previously which was to obtain an Escort IQ radar detector/GPS. At least that way I had one last piece of electronics stuck to my windshield. Oh well maybe next time.

Happy road tripping,
    Lux
  • Boyd
    Lux said:

I used to enjoy looking up addresses on Google maps via Windows selecting the address and sending the link wirelessly to my 1690 Nuvi. One what I thought such very nice functionality would've been included in the new top-of-the-line product. Wrong!

I'm confused... Did you expect the 3490 to be a "connected" device with a cellular data plan like your 1690? :?
  • popej
    With Bluetooth and a phone it could be a connected device. But I think this feature could be planned for next model, like nuvi 35xx. It is a guess only😉
  • Lux
    I pay no monthly cell plan with my 1690. Don't be confused. Not sure the mechanism Garmin uses, maybe something to do with traffic receiver.

Regards,
    Lux
  • popej
    I think you pay $60 a year for connected services, first year is already paid, when you buy nuvi. I might be wrong, this info isn't easy to find.
  • Boyd
    Yes, you are paying $5/month. On the 1690; Two years were included in the purchase. This is prominently displayed in the second paragraph at the top of the product page

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402&pID=64339

With Garmin nüLink! services, accurate real-time online information is delivered wirelessly to your nüvi 1690. In the U.S., each nüvi 1690 includes a free 2-year nüLink! subscription. After the 2-year period ends, service costs $60 a year

If you had taken a moment to compare models before purchasing, you might have made a more informed choice

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=133&compareProduct=97509&compareProduct=64339

In the comparison from Garmin's site at the link above, the differences between the 1690 and 3490 are highlighted. Note that it shows the availability of nuLink services with Google search on the 1690 but not 3490. It also indicates that the 1690 has Garmin lock but the 3490 doesn't.
  • popej
    Boyd said:

This is prominently displayed in the second paragraph at the top of the product page

Thanks, on US pages the deal is clear. I still can't find nuLink prices for any European version.
  • popej said:

With Bluetooth and a phone it could be a connected device. But I think this feature could be planned for next model, like nuvi 35xx. It is a guess only😉

This is a strange comment. What's with the winking face?
  • popej is hinting about a function which was introduced by garmin to the asian nuvi series. The idea is to stream internet via phones' bluetooth to the nuvi and by this way using google local search/online weather etc. (not how it is on the nuvi 16xx series through SIM card) Here you can see two videos:

Yuo can find more on youtube if you are interested.

Can figure out why would one use his phone to stream internet to nuvi while he can directly use his phones' internet but seems a nice idea😃...
  • Lux
    One would think they could piggy back over the traffic reception?

Lux
  • Boyd
    Traffic data is already "piggybacked" over broadcast FM stations and uses a very slow data rate. The new HD type receivers are faster, but still extremely slow by computer standards. However it's just a one-way connection - receive only. There is no way to transmit a search query to a server with a traffic receiver.
  • popej
    Esteban said:

This is a strange comment. What's with the winking face?

Garmin is testing a new device and here you can find a firmware for it:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5674

Just my guess is that it could be nuvi 35xx with connected services. Don't treat this guess seriously, that's why I put😉
  • AndreyT
    ddabcd277 said:

Can figure out why would one use his phone to stream internet to nuvi while he can directly use his phones' internet but seems a nice idea😃...

For the very same reason people use Bluetooth dongles in their ears when they "can directly use their phones": because they can't. Their phones are in their pockets. Their Nuvis are mounted on their dashboards. So, they want use their Nuvis to access the navigation-related Internet functions.
  • Taconuvi
    One difference is that the 3490 is multi-touch, which should make functions like zooming in and out easier, right?
  • Boyd
    The 3790 has the same multi-touch glass capacitive screen as the 3490 and it also supports pinch and spread zooming plus a few other gestures. For me personally, this isn't such a big deal. Unfortunately Garmin's multi-touch technology isn't in the same league as my iPhone. I use the + and - buttons to zoom on my 3790 and the up/down arrows to scroll the menus. Multi-touch is a bit too "twitchy" for my taste on Garmin. But the screen is absolutely beautiful and very bright.
  • Hello all! Apologies if I posted this to the wrong thread.

I just got a new 3590 as a replacement for older device. Must be a glutton obtaining the unit on the first day of release.

In playing around with the unit, I have noted that there are very few (i.e. ONE) English Speaking TTS voice. My older unit had several. Is there an online resource somewhere where I can obtain the older voices?

Specifically, I would like to get the "Australian" and "British" TTS voices back.

The garmin website has a few cutsie ones. . .but Not really interested in Yoda, especially if it doesn't speak street names.
  • sussamb
    You don't say what your old device is but if you still have it you may be able to copy the files across. Also if there are Garmin additional voices for that model connect your nuvi to your PC and run webupdater, after any software update you will get an option to add additional voices (if there are any).
  • Thanks for the advice.

The old unit is a 2720 streetpilot. that old unit does not do USB mass storage access like the newer Nuvi's; I will open a thread elsewhere to see if I can get data off of the unit. As far as maps are concerned, the unit is bricked.

I did do a webupdate on the new unit (not the maps, however); while it does seem to have uploaded new software, no voices were part of that package.

The 3590, I suspect, is using the same software and has the same feature set as the 3490, so I figured I would ask here about voices online. I am surprised at the lack of alternate English voices on the new device.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!