This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Harmon Kardon gps-810 issues

Comments

• Can you at least mention anything at all that you discussed?
    possible fixes that will be included?
    Or a reasonable timetable for this update?

Im sure there are plenty of 810 owners that would like to hear some new information other thank 1 to 2 weeks ;)

I'm sure they do care, but they're customer support just doesnt get the information as much as the people up top.

Thanks for letting us know buff.
  • Getting too close to my window to return and it looks like HK has no plans to do anything. Worse part is, if they do get update out the door, will be any better? How sad, I really do hope they fix it real soon! Good luck everyone. Off to Costco to return!
  • buff810 0 Points
    I was told that the firmware is ready. It appears getting to people and getting on the unit MAY be the issue. I can give real details early next week.

JUST HANG IN THERE.

What has kept me hanging on is the fact that they have the best UI in the industry along with the best remote. When the issues are fixed, they have the best overall package.
  • igorb81 0 Points

What has kept me hanging on is the fact that they have the best UI in the industry along with the best remote. When the issues are fixed, they have the best overall package.
    Yeah! The key is when the issues will be fixed... and that is the hard part. They don't just have tons of bugs in the software anymore since mine even had some hardware issue where my LCD stopped displaying anything. My replacement is en route to me right now but sadly it will be going to eBay shortly after at a major loss to me :shock:. I can't gamble with this unit any longer. I had my share of terrible experiences with my previous Lowrance iWay 500c where it was replaced 3 or 4 times I can't even remember anymore. Then after I heard about HK 810 entrance to the market I thought I finally found a solid replacement however I was totally wrong. I became very immune to live with bugs and glitches but when hardware fails that's when I get nervous since not much can be done at that point!

I personally can't stick with HK 810 due to 2 major issues that are currently facing me. One is the map update which is a big problem and another one is Tele Atlas maps. I am totally upset with TA maps. I am very used to Navteq maps since they are much more detailed and accurate.

Unfortunately these two out way all the good pro's for me... :evil: Looks like I am going to stick to my faithful Nuvi 750.
  • hk810 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    Anybody having any luck with responses from HK?
  • Hah wow..

I just noticed this thread started November 2007..........

So in that whole time they have not made a single fix for the multiple problems that plague the 810 from being a truly great gps multimedia device.

If a company like tomtom can have weekly updates
    why cant a big company like HK/infinity/JBL have similar support?

I still like the 810, but the fact they dont support it will stop me from EVER buying any car audio or whatever else from that company.

That is a bit disappointing...
    :cry:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If a company like tomtom can have weekly updates
    why cant a big company like HK/infinity/JBL have similar support
    TomTom doesn't offer weekly software updates...?
  • If a company like tomtom can have weekly updates
    why cant a big company like HK/infinity/JBL have similar support

TomTom doesn't offer weekly software updates...?
    Im not sure what you're asking Tim.
    I clearly said TomTom does offer weekly updates.

Every week it has a "gpsfix" update, so your tomtom has advance knowledge of where GPS satellites will be for the following week, this helps it pick up and track the gps sats quicker and more efficiently.

Thats on top of mapshare fixes and updates.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    This thread is talking about software application updates... Updates that address bugs, add new features, etc. TomTom does not offer weekly software application updates.
  • Yegor 0 Points
    I hope Apple will announce "something great" along the new iPhone today, so I don't have to check this thread anymore, just to find out nothing is happening and read HK's support's encouragement to "hang on for a little more." :D
  • This is exactly what I am talking about. We keep “hanging in there” since December 2007. I can not believe that a company like HK is doing this. To “have” the updates ready but not a way to deliver them? How bad is that???? How much longer are you willing to wait?
    Only a barrage of complaints will get us the results needed.
    I was told that the firmware is ready. It appears getting to people and getting on the unit MAY be the issue. I can give real details early next week.

JUST HANG IN THERE.

• Yegor 0 Points
    That looks good, Tim.

I apologize for "spoiling" this thread with Apple, but - you know - if they go into GPS market - then all the others are in big trouble.
  • I thought this thread was about software application updates, not apple iGPS.
    ;) :lol:

About the HK support, they replied to an email and this time they did not say the "one to two" weeks usual reply. Now the tech support said its almost complete, and he does not have a definitive timeline on the release of the firmware.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    Isn't that TomTom on iPhone, using Google map to boot !!
    Now I am really confused. :D
  • Yegor 0 Points
    I thought this thread was about software application updates, not apple iGPS.
    ;) :lol:
    Liked it. :lol:
    About the HK support, they replied to an email and this time they did not say the "one to two" weeks usual reply. Now the tech support said its almost complete, and he does not have a definitive timeline on the release of the firmware.
    It seems they finally understood that when something is promised to be done in 1-2 weeks, then it has to be done in 7-14 days (that's what I learned - one week consists of 7 days, right :?:).

Well, now I feel much more comfortable as a customer, as Harman Kardon finally telling the truth: "its almost complete, and they don't have a definitive timeline on the release of the firmware."

To me? this means from 1 millisecond to infinite. So guys, in case they don't have the GPS 810 firmware update by 2908 AD – don't blame them, at least they are honest now. :lol:
  • I was told that the firmware is ready. It appears getting to people and getting on the unit MAY be the issue. I can give real details early next week.

JUST HANG IN THERE.

It's as early next week as it gets. Tomrrow will be mid week!

So what's the information?
  • 12many 0 Points
    ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!! Check under update on there website.
  • kwest37 0 Points
  • Yegor 0 Points
    Has someone upgraded?
  • Has someone upgraded?
    Yes.

I wrote a lengthy review about it here..

http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/comment/43362/#43362
  • Angmorr 0 Points
    Hi!

I'm new in this Topic. I heard about that GPS 1 or 2 weeks ago, from one of my friends. He has got one of these, and he was upset, that the maps are to old. We are living in Europe, Hungary. In the last 1 year there was 2 big highway opening, none of them in the maps. The navigation system is one of made by a Hungarian group, NavNGo. The navigation system of the 810 is the clone of the well now I-GO software that they developing. I can't understand that why HK doesn't upgrade the navigation of 810 to the newer system or a clone of the newer system IGO8. The navigation that is included in the 810 Europe version is working with just only TeleAtlas maps. In Hungary that is well known in the PDA/PNA society that, NavNGo has finished their connections with TeleAtlas and they have a new Hungarian map source TopMap, which has newer map updates for all Europe infront of TeleAtlas. I can't accept it that a company hasn't care about it. If you use a map, and it is getting to old, you change it. But as I know teleAtlas hasn't got any new map release in this year from Europe or the USA. And now they release just only the upgrade for the US navigation systems, and nothing for the Europians. Thank you! Why are they then selling it all around the world? :)

By the way the U Turn problem is a feature of the navigation software, it want to keep you on the route, because a whole replaning is need so much time in a long journey. Just turn it of in the Planing options. I use IGO without u Turn, and it is correct.

Best Regards!

Angmorr
  • buff810 0 Points
    OK,

I wanted to let everyone know that HK understands how the firmware upgrade is affecting everyone. I have had numerous conversations with them and they are taking all the right steps to alleviate the situation. As I stated before,

THIS IS A COMPANY THAT CARES!

I have been testing the latest firmware and the improvements are readily apparent. I have multiple phones in the house, MOTO RAZR, xv6700, MOTO Q, and a Samsung Alias. I have tested the RAZR and xv6700.

The RAZR works flawlessly! Phonebook import is perfect, does not drop connection, even Voice Dial works perfectly.

The xv6700 is working as well. It would connect previously, but no sound came through the unit. Now that all works well. I do have a couple issues, but they are most likely with the phone since I have the same issue with any bluetooth connection on the xv6700. When the battery is low on the phone, it drops connection easily. Overall, it has gone from unusable to very usable.

The FM transmitter on my first unit was weak at best. I have an Audi A6 with the antennae on the rear windshield. With the unit on the front windshield completely unobstructed to the rear antennae I got NO reception PREVIOUSLY. The only way I could get reception with the previous unit was to put the FM transmitter on and put a set of headphones in the headphone jack. TRY IT! The new unit has reception right out of the box. I do not know if this is due to the firmware or just an issue with the first unit, but I am pleased with the end result.

Overall, the unit seems quicker and the transitions seem to flow smoother than before.

Lastly, I wanted to let everyone know that ALL companies have issues with their products. There is not a product on earth that is without fault. If there was one, I would be selling it! What differentiates a product is how the company producing it reacts to the issue. There are a significant number of companies out, that will not recognize that their product has flaws. Some will even try and convince you that the problem is on your end. THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH HARMAN KARDON! The have listened to our feedback and our addressing the issues. This is apparent with the changes made in the new firmware.

To sum it up. The GPS-810 has the best UI and feature set on the market. It is reasonably priced and is the only true in dash replacement I have been able to find and the company cares enough to listen to their customers and make the appropriate changes. It is not perfect, but it is the closest GPS / Entertainment Unit / Company Support that I have been able to find.
  • Yegor 0 Points
    Hey buff,

How's the stand-by mode, does it function properly now?

Also, thanks for for the info.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    Hey Buff... I understand everything that you have said. HK GPS-810 indeed could have been the best unit out there if they only if they have used a more reliable map vendor such as NAVTEQ. I totally dislike TeleAtlas maps. Way too inaccurate around here and the places I have been traveling as well. Like I said before I would like parks, industrial, commercial areas mapped out on my unit as it have been done on NAVTEQ for years. This is really important to me. Another thing that bugged the heck out of me when HK wanted to route me through non-existent roads that happen to even have some mysterious names that never even existed maybe before my times I don't know. When do they classify driveways as roads? HK shows a ton of non existent roads around my area and it's totally unacceptable when it tries to route you through them. I know it's not so much of HK's problem but a poor decision on their side. To me it appears that TeleAtlas has to be cheaper maps or easier to get the contract with since most of the small name GPS units use them.

Also do you know anything about map updates??? Did they tell you anything? Is that ever going to happen? And is it going to be sold on SD cards? If that is the case that's enough for me to say that this unit failed miserably despite the great potential. I need a freaking mp3 player and good reliable maps with excellent directions if those are not met then what is the point of a sparkly eye candy if it's pretty useless. Why pay top dollar for the unit that will not play mp3's after the map update is installed on the card? You are much better off buying a stripped out cheap base unit to do the same like Nuvi 200 or something of that nature. To me I think that whole BT thing is a gimmick. I use my more reliable headset that I always carry in my pocket. It's pretty embarrassing to let others listen in on your conversation when you are talking through that thing and it speaks back to you through all 10 of your speakers in the car even pedestrians can hear them.

UPDATE: Last night I received my replacement GPS-810 from HK for my broken one and I was totally shocked and blown away when I received brand new retail sealed box!!! I was expecting a brown box a referb a very typical practice in the industry! I have to admit I was amazed. Just looking at that box again it just tears me apart... it is such an eye candy. I would miss it when I will place it on eBay this weekend. It still kills me just reviewing my love and hate relationship with the unit. I love it and I hate it and I just so puzzled... But I am getting more and more attached with my cheaply acquired Garmin Nuvi 750 ($299 brand new!) Since my purchase they already updated maps and even firmware twice! It seems like every time I go to Garmin website there is an update sitting and waiting for me! After all maybe I don't miss my GPS-810 that much... hmm... just POI database, UI and maybe remote! :cry: Oh well you just can't have it all I guess...
  • Hah funny comments Igor, I totally understand what you mean by love-hate with this damn thing ;)

Its GOOD, but just some things they should have looked at.

My advice is, if any HK GPS techs read this site ,

BUY a tomtom or garmin, play with it, and implement ideas they have.

COUGH most importantly. map updates.

cough

good post igor.
  • buff810 0 Points
    I have a TomTom 910. At first the BT, and a few other features work more consistently than the the 810, but since the update, the 810 is better. It is curious, the 810 maps are more accurate than what I have on the the TomTom.

Also, the biggest issue on the TomTom is that it takes you at least 3 screens to get anything done. Lets face it, what sets this GPS apart is the interface and features. I live in a relatively new development <7 years old and all my streets are accurate.

I will ask them about map updates and see what is said.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    Buff... Funny you mention about Tom Tom Go 910! I was looking into buying that before I owned my Lawrance iWay 500C. I was almost sold on it until I started to mess around with their UI and I completly hate it. Just like you said it is totally not user friendly at all. I know some folks would tell me that you can customize the heck out of it but there are limitations. I hate their very thick blue bar on the bottom of the screen. Also it is pretty slow and I hate any portable device that uses HD. Currently my sister owns 910 and it totally died on them now. I bet the hard drive probably failed by now.

As far as UI goes HK GPS-810 is the best and most user friendly one something very similar to BMW system. It's just too bad that this fantastic device just won"t cut it for my needs.

Harman Kardon does have a fantastic support online which I found out. I just wanted to say good luck with you units folks looks like mine is going to be on eBay very shortly.
  • infama 0 Points
    OK,

To sum it up. The GPS-810 has the best UI and feature set on the market. It is reasonably priced and is the only true in dash replacement I have been able to find and the company cares enough to listen to their customers and make the appropriate changes. It is not perfect, but it is the closest GPS / Entertainment Unit / Company Support that I have been able to find.
    This is not even close to being true.

HK uses a version of iGo6....iGo8 has been released a month ago and modified version of that have been running on HP iPaq 300s and Mio 620/720 for 6 to 9 months now. Clarion also uses iGo8 now as well.

In terms of feature set, all the iGo8 machines have more features and what some lack, can be re-introduced. The biggest lacking feature compared to iGo8 is 3D mapping...not 3D mode, but 3D maps with building details and contour mapping in elevated terrain.

The iPaq has BETTER hardware, ie 600mhz processor with separate graphics processor, GPS AUTONOMY and a 800x480 better than DVD quality screen. On top of all that, the HP is CHEAPER, going for as low as $200 on Amazon every month or so. It never costs more than $300.

As for caring, HP has done 2 major Firmware updates since December 2007 and another is about a week away. Functionality and stability are much improved and with enthusiastic tinkerers in the ipaq community, lots of cool mods and enhancements have been developed and freely shared. HP also has all the video and audio bells and whistles like the HK and in addition has swappable batteries, that enables the owner to have a backup for just about any occasion needed. Imagine using this puppy navigating in pedestrian mode in downtown Manhattan or Central London? The iPaq also has a slim profile and easily fits in any pocket, despite it being a widescreen.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing the HK has over the iPaq is the remote!
  • infama 0 Points
    Hah funny comments Igor, I totally understand what you mean by love-hate with this damn thing ;)

Its GOOD, but just some things they should have looked at.

My advice is, if any HK GPS techs read this site ,

BUY a tomtom or garmin, play with it, and implement ideas they have.

COUGH most importantly. map updates.

cough

good post igor.
    They cant do SQUAT about maps on their own.

It seems people here have a big knowledge gap.

This thing run on iGo2006 from Nav'n'Go, a Hungarian company. NavNgo uses TeleAtlas (now owned by TomTom) data (among others) to create their finished maps. TA releases fresh data every 3 months, but NavNgo does not create new maps that often. Until they do, HK, HP, Clarion, etc will not have map updates. They depend totally on their supplier.

The latest NavNGo maps for NA is 2007.07. When the NAmer version if iGo8 is released, perhaps then we will see new maps. HP iPaq 314 Western European owners will be getting 2007.10 free map upgrades any time now.
  • infama 0 Points
    Hey Buff... I understand everything that you have said. HK GPS-810 indeed could have been the best unit out there if they only if they have used a more reliable map vendor such as NAVTEQ. I totally dislike TeleAtlas maps. Way too inaccurate around here and the places I have been traveling as well. Like I said before I would like parks, industrial, commercial areas mapped out on my unit as it have been done on NAVTEQ for years. This is really important to me. Another thing that bugged the heck out of me when HK wanted to route me through non-existent roads that happen to even have some mysterious names that never even existed maybe before my times I don't know. When do they classify driveways as roads? HK shows a ton of non existent roads around my area and it's totally unacceptable when it tries to route you through them. I know it's not so much of HK's problem but a poor decision on their side. To me it appears that TeleAtlas has to be cheaper maps or easier to get the contract with since most of the small name GPS units use them.

You live in a weak TeleAtlas mapped area. In other areas, they are actually better than Navteq.

To say that only small players use TA is ludicrous...TomTom, Mio, HP, HK, Dash, ...indeed most brands use TA. Garmin, Magellan and Navigon are actually in the minority.

TA will also be on the faster improvement track from here onwards. TomTom has bought them and can now share MAPSHARE corrections with them. There have been over 5 million corrections in Europe and NA! TomTom users dont even have to wait for this, as they can download many of the corrections already.
  • infama 0 Points
    I have a TomTom 910. At first the BT, and a few other features work more consistently than the the 810, but since the update, the 810 is better. It is curious, the 810 maps are more accurate than what I have on the the TomTom.

Also, the biggest issue on the TomTom is that it takes you at least 3 screens to get anything done. Lets face it, what sets this GPS apart is the interface and features. I live in a relatively new development <7 years old and all my streets are accurate.

I will ask them about map updates and see what is said.
    The TT 910 has been obsolete for a year now. The latest ones only had end 2006 maps, so how can you compare that to the HK 810? There have been TWO replacements for the 910...the 920, which I have and the 930!

The 920 has the best bluetooth performance of all the units I have tested or read about!
  • infama 0 Points
    Buff... Funny you mention about Tom Tom Go 910! I was looking into buying that before I owned my Lawrance iWay 500C. I was almost sold on it until I started to mess around with their UI and I completly hate it. Just like you said it is totally not user friendly at all. I know some folks would tell me that you can customize the heck out of it but there are limitations. I hate their very thick blue bar on the bottom of the screen. Also it is pretty slow and I hate any portable device that uses HD. Currently my sister owns 910 and it totally died on them now. I bet the hard drive probably failed by now.

As far as UI goes HK GPS-810 is the best and most user friendly one something very similar to BMW system. It's just too bad that this fantastic device just won"t cut it for my needs.

Harman Kardon does have a fantastic support online which I found out. I just wanted to say good luck with you units folks looks like mine is going to be on eBay very shortly.
    It is a modified iGo2006 interface. Every other PDA uses it.

On the 920 and 930, the blue bar can be set horizontally as well as vertically. No more hard drive. I am running my 920 with a 16gb SDHC card with tons of music and maps. TT has one of the fastest interfaces out there, BTW.
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing the HK has over the iPaq is the remote! >> (infama)

I've had the HP, and I can tell everyone on this thread that that comment is thoroughly untrue. The HP had pretty graphics, but that was IT. It had a terrible user interface ... one had to go through a hundred steps just to look for a POI in another locale -- it was very unfriendly to use. Moreover, the dock pales in comparison with the GPS-810. With the HP, one has to manually connect the power and audio cables directly to the device each time one places it on the dock, whereas with the 810, the connectors are duplicated on the dock, so one just has to pop the device in ... a lot more convenient. As for HP 'caring', this is the company that refused to provide me support a couple of weeks ago for their lousy webcam because I had no serial number (although no serial number was provided on the webcam, in or ON the box). I will NEVER buy another HP product! The HP might have improved some since its firmware updates, but unless they've improved the process for looking up POI's, it's not worth even considering.

The 810, though, still has its flaws. I upgraded my firmware last night and am very disappointed with it. I was not able to see any improvements to its UI ... for one thing, one can STILL not click on a phone number to dial. Even if I could, though, I would not be able to use it because I do not receive any audio from my 810 when it's connected to my Cingular 2125. I recently upgraded the 2125 to Windows Mobile 6.1, so the flaw could be with my phone's ROM, but my phone has no problem connecting with bluetooth headsets, so I don't know what could be the problem. In any case, I was hoping for a lot more. We'll see if traffic is more reliable with this firmware.

By the way, I see no reason why one has to keep map upgrades on an SD card. When one is in the service mode screen, it is possible to view the contents of the 810's internal flash. I've already copied to my hard drive the contents for both the 810's application partition and its map partition (to view the contents of its map partition, one must click on "Map" in the service mode screen). It would seem easy to replace the contents of the flash. As it is, there is much room still left over.... By the way, I've found out that the update program is not compatible with Vista (it hangs, and this incompatibility was confirmed by tech support), so XP is recommended for the update process.

Daryl
  • igorb81 0 Points
    :lol: I was expecting infama's responses... something was telling me that I will be seeing those very soon. Well, everyone has their own opinion and preferences. I may not know too much about every GPS on the market these days since there are hundreds of them out there now and I simply don't have the time to do that type of research anymore. I am not a newby in mobile GPS world I have owned many different units in the past for many, many years now. I had some experience with various units in the past and have gone from spending hours and days modifying my GPS units and phones but I simply do not have that kind of time anymore to do those type of things such as reflashing firmware on some device etc.

Personally TomTom units did not impress me at all and I am not attached to any of them. Also as far as I could remember they were pretty weak on POI database that may have changed now... I don't kanow that.

As far as HP unit goes I still can't find a reputable review praising it. To date all I have seen is a lot of mixed reviews with many ups and downs sort of like HK. Like I said before I really don't care about games and videos on my GPS unit and I strongly believe that those should be even prohibited. It's bad enough out there on the roads. Most consumers in the GPS market want a reliable well performing unit instead of bunch of useless features. GPS was never meant to replace all devices such as ipods and such. Who is going to be watching movies on GPS with typically abysmal battery life on any given unit. I think that is just a sales pitch.

GPS makers need to concentrated to make a great GPS instead of squeezing tons of not necessary features that could only satisfy a few. Personally I am not hyped up about those cluttered 3D maps in urban areas that render the buildings and other landmarks. As far as I can see that it's pretty useless and an excellent way to clutter up already cluttered downtown areas.

Again what I said before regarding TA maps is this... TA maps do not distinguish commercial, industrial, educational and other areas like NAVTEQ maps do with color coded areas clearly defining the premises and with a label as well. This is very important living on the east coast in industrial areas. This single drawback is what kills TA maps as a serious contender against NAVTEQ for me. This is totally my own opinion but it looks like Garmin Nuvi units are just about the only ones that meet my expectations and needs. I am not biased it's just how this turns out to e for me.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    Daryl, I totally agree what you said about HP that is totally what I have expericed as well. That is probably why it is so cheap these days.

WOW... I never heard of the service mode! It sounds like it would be possible but what I was told by the tech support from Harman that the map database was done on the read only basis and can not be overwritten by any means. This is what I was told numerous times and the only way to access newer maps would be via the purchased SD card with new TA maps. When I heard that I said that is enough for me and I totally gave up on 810. This was very unfotunate and sad at the same time since I did like the unit much more than any other on the market to this point. But that totally kills the deal for me.
  • DarylO 0 Points
    I prefer TeleAtlas maps as I find them to be more accurate than Navteq maps here in the Pacific Northwest. I've had a Garmin for three months, as well, and I hated it. I agree, though, with regard to the 3D maps. It's a totally useless feature. When I had it enabled on the HP I had, it was difficult to view the maps on the screen with all that clutter. A GPS screen should be simple, as it should be designed to be viewed with QUICK glances.

Daryl
  • infama 0 Points
    I prefer TeleAtlas maps as I find them to be more accurate than Navteq maps here in the Pacific Northwest. I've had a Garmin for three months, as well, and I hated it. I agree, though, with regard to the 3D maps. It's a totally useless feature. When I had it enabled on the HP I had, it was difficult to view the maps on the screen with all that clutter. A GPS screen should be simple, as it should be designed to be viewed with QUICK glances.

Daryl
    Here is the beauty of it. It can be switched off an used only for Pederstrian usage.

More features for less money is bad ...how?

My point is not to know the HK, its to stop the hyperbole here by many people who obviously dont have much info on devices.

HK does some things good and is nice looking, but far from the best unit out there and IS PRICEY for what you get.

You dont hear me saying HP, TT or Garmin is the best...I know that best is subjective. However, there are OBJECTIVE differences and some people here turn a blind eye to them.

It seems like Stockholm syndrome is virulent here. People are busy bashing the bugs in the unit and then turn around and defend it without any objective basis. It is hilarious. I must say that HK has the most loyal following! LoL
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << My point is not to know the HK, its to stop the hyperbole here by many people who obviously dont have much info on devices. >>

Well, I do happen to have the 'info' on both devices, as I've used BOTH of them. You have not replied at all to my statement regarding POI lookups on the HP, so I'm assuming that its latest firmware update didn't fix that problem at all. If that is the case, the HP still sucks. As I've stated in the HP thread, the purpose of a GPS device is to help one get from point A to point B. If that process is too difficult, then it is a failure. The HP is a failure.

Daryl
  • igorb81 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    Infama - I totally disagree with you! Just like I said before I had extensive experience with many different units before and I repeat that not one to my knowledge could match what Harman Kardon offered. HK offered best UI and performance, best BT performance when it worked of course and fantastic media player. BTW bluetooth sound quality was phenomenal compared to others that I have used it's on the par with my Jabra JX10 headpiece! HK BT cut the background noise out and others could hear me loud and clear while driving on the highway with open sunroof and etc. Try to do that with others... impossible! What else does one need? If this unit was free from bugs with excellent maps and updates I couldn't be any more happier. Not a single unit on the market right now could swing a stick at HK 810. I say this based on my experience in GPS market. HK 810 could have been the best hands down.

Infama - when we say this we are talking about the ease of use (user friendly without ton of hours to modify it) and performance of HK unit that is virtually unmatched. HK user interface is the best I have seen or put my hands on. Yes you could get more eye candy for a dollar but if performance is not there and ease of use to me it's a waste no matter how much it costs. Also HK 810 is very cheap in price these days.
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << WOW... I never heard of the service mode! It sounds like it would be possible but what I was told by the tech support from Harman that the map database was done on the read only basis and can not be overwritten by any means. >> (igorb81)

The service mode is what you have to get into to perform the firmware update. I do not believe that the map database is read only. That does not make any sense, as the application partition on the flash IS writable. I'm thinking that the flash is divided into 'partitions', as only one can be viewed at a time (to view the contents of the application 'partition', one must select "Application" in the service mode screen and "Maps" to view the map 'partition'.) I haven't done it yet, but I could see if I could write to the map partition. If I can successfully write to it, then that will prove that the map database CAN be written over. I suppose the Application 'partition' could possibly be in other memory, but I don't see the point. Incidentally, I could not find the 12,000,000 POI's in the Application 'partition', so there may possibly be another partition that is NOT visible (or the POI's may be in the map files).

Daryl
  • infama 0 Points
    Infama - I totally disagree with you! Just like I said before I had extensive experience with many different units before and I repeat that not one to my knowledge could match what Harman Kardon offered. HK offered best UI and performance, best BT performance when it worked of course and fantastic media player. What else does one need? If this unit was free from bugs with excellent maps and updates not a single unit on the market right now could swing a stick at HK 810. I say this based on my experience in GPS market. HK 810 could have been the best hands down.

Infama - when we say this we are talking about the ease of use (user friendly without ton of hours to modify it) and performance of HK unit that is virtually unmatched. HK user interface is the best I have seen or put my hands on. Totally unmatched right now.
    It is an iGo2006 skin! It is a well known interface and I personally am not crazy about it.

Have you tried the BT on the TT x20s...I have never had a single problem with the 920 BT. As for performance, the TT is lightning quick, given that it uses Linux which is SUPERIOR to Windows CE machines (HP,HK, Navigon).

HP and HK have similar media players.

You can get free and paid video players for the TT and having used the Mobilnova one, I can assure you it was superb.

Again, I am not cracking on the HK (You guys do a good job yourself), I am simply putting a check on the hyperbole about best this and best that.

HK does not make the software, and clearly does not have the global hardware clout of HP. Simply put, what HP offers in terms of hardware on the 300 series is nothing short of mind boggling. 600mz dual core Centrality Titan chip with separate DSP, 40 channel GPS receiver and GPS AUTONOMY feature...mariied to better than DVD quality 800x480 LED backlit, transflective widescreen LCD touchscreen! Whew, what a mouthful. And all this over 6 months ago??? Add to that 2gb of internal memory and a market leading 128mb of RAM. There is no equal. Sorry.

TomTom and Garmin control their software source (themselves) so they have an edge there.

HK has assembled a nice package, but seem to have their hands full killing the bugs. NavNgo is busy with bigger fish (their own igo8 release, other igo8 manufacturers like Clarion and of course HP, their biggest OEM), so HL got the shaft.
  • infama 0 Points
    << WOW... I never heard of the service mode! It sounds like it would be possible but what I was told by the tech support from Harman that the map database was done on the read only basis and can not be overwritten by any means. >> (igorb81)

The service mode is what you have to get into to perform the firmware update. I do not believe that the map database is read only. That does not make any sense, as the application partition on the flash IS writable. I'm thinking that the flash is divided into 'partitions', as only one can be viewed at a time (to view the contents of the application 'partition', one must select "Application" in the service mode screen and "Maps" to view the map 'partition'.) I haven't done it yet, but I could see if I could write to the map partition. If I can successfully write to it, then that will prove that the map database CAN be written over. I suppose the Application 'partition' could possibly be in other memory, but I don't see the point. Incidentally, I could not find the 12,000,000 POI's in the Application 'partition', so there may possibly be another partition that is NOT visible (or the POI's may be in the map files).

Daryl
    D,

I agree that they are probably BS-ing.

Igo2006 is similar to igo8. This means that the Pois are likely .poi files in the poi folder in the contents folder which in turn is in the igo2006 main folder (directory). Also in the contents folder would be the map folder.

The application would also be and exe file in the main directory, along with the data.zip

I dont see how the application could be separate from map data, but I could be wrong.
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << HK does not make the software, and clearly does not have the global hardware clout of HP. Simply put, what HP offers in terms of hardware on the 300 series is nothing short of mind boggling. 600mz dual core Centrality Titan chip with separate DSP, 40 channel GPS receiver and GPS AUTONOMY feature...mariied to better than DVD quality 800x480 LED backlit, transflective widescreen LCD touchscreen! Whew, what a mouthful. And all this over 6 months ago??? Add to that 2gb of internal memory and a market leading 128mb of RAM. There is no equal. Sorry. >>

The Harman/Kardon also has 2 GB of internal memory and 128 MB of RAM. Its processor is also not very shabby ... it clocks at a frequency of 532 MHz, compared to the HP's 600. As for the HP's 'transflective' touchscreen, I recall having had many instances of wash-out; I've not had as many readability problems with the 810....

Daryl
  • igorb81 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    Daryl - I never looked into partitions and I have not updated my unit. I have a replacement unit that I have received the other day and it's all sealed and I think I will keep it like that and will be auctioned off on eBay next week. I loved it and I hate it... but I have no time to mess with it. I took out Nuvi 750 out of the box and it has been on my dash since. I am pretty happy with it at this point.

HK may have two partitions one for apps and one for maps and POI that is not rewritable at least that is what I was told by HK. The only solution to map update was an SD card and that is what they told me. :cry:

I guess infama still misses the whole point!!! Looks like it a pointless debate now. I am not defending anything since I am not a true owner of HK anymore. None of TT's can match ease of use what is offered by HK's UI. Easy, fast and simple!!! Three key words for majority. What I have experienced on TT 910 the BT performance or voice quality was no where near to HK. It was not loud enough the person on the other side would complain etc. there is nothing wrong with that since to my knowledge just about every GPS is same in this department except HK. This is why I opted out from BT on my GPS when I purchased Nuvi 750 over 760. What is the point? None of them can match jawbone anyways. When I talked through my 810 no one could ever believe me that I was driving in my car on the highway with open sunroof. That tells me a lot about the voice quality and background noise canceling... Do I need to prove anything else. I am not a teenager anymore and those toys that they squeeze into mobile devices should not be even allowed. I personally thought that there was a law here in US about videos on GPS!? I was shocked to see that useless feature on HK. Who is going to watch a video or a movie on a tiny LCD with abysmal battery life. This applies to many other units out there. And now games oh come on what a heck is next?
  • infama 0 Points
    << My point is not to know the HK, its to stop the hyperbole here by many people who obviously dont have much info on devices. >>

Well, I do happen to have the 'info' on both devices, as I've used BOTH of them. You have not replied at all to my statement regarding POI lookups on the HP, so I'm assuming that its latest firmware update didn't fix that problem at all. If that is the case, the HP still sucks. As I've stated in the HP thread, the purpose of a GPS device is to help one get from point A to point B. If that process is too difficult, then it is a failure. The HP is a failure.

Daryl
    I did not see your post, so please direct me to it...
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << This means that the Pois are likely .poi files in the poi folder in the contents folder which in turn is in the igo2006 main folder (directory). Also in the contents folder would be the map folder. >>

The only item in the POI folder is another folder labelled "Speedcam", which contains a small file called SpeedcamUpdates.spud. The Maps folder only contains one file called Basemap.fbl. All of the maps are actually in the other 'partition'. Curiously, there is another Basemap.fbl in the Maps 'partition', but it appears to be a different file, since the modification date is different.

Daryl
  • DarylO 0 Points
    I had several posts in the HP thread in this forum.

Daryl
  • infama 0 Points
    << As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing the HK has over the iPaq is the remote! >> (infama)

I've had the HP, and I can tell everyone on this thread that that comment is thoroughly untrue. The HP had pretty graphics, but that was IT. It had a terrible user interface ... one had to go through a hundred steps just to look for a POI in another locale -- it was very unfriendly to use. Moreover, the dock pales in comparison with the GPS-810. With the HP, one has to manually connect the power and audio cables directly to the device each time one places it on the dock, whereas with the 810, the connectors are duplicated on the dock, so one just has to pop the device in ... a lot more convenient. As for HP 'caring', this is the company that refused to provide me support a couple of weeks ago for their lousy webcam because I had no serial number (although no serial number was provided on the webcam, in or ON the box). I will NEVER buy another HP product! The HP might have improved some since its firmware updates, but unless they've improved the process for looking up POI's, it's not worth even considering.

The 810, though, still has its flaws. I upgraded my firmware last night and am very disappointed with it. I was not able to see any improvements to its UI ... for one thing, one can STILL not click on a phone number to dial. Even if I could, though, I would not be able to use it because I do not receive any audio from my 810 when it's connected to my Cingular 2125. I recently upgraded the 2125 to Windows Mobile 6.1, so the flaw could be with my phone's ROM, but my phone has no problem connecting with bluetooth headsets, so I don't know what could be the problem. In any case, I was hoping for a lot more. We'll see if traffic is more reliable with this firmware.

By the way, I see no reason why one has to keep map upgrades on an SD card. When one is in the service mode screen, it is possible to view the contents of the 810's internal flash. I've already copied to my hard drive the contents for both the 810's application partition and its map partition (to view the contents of its map partition, one must click on "Map" in the service mode screen). It would seem easy to replace the contents of the flash. As it is, there is much room still left over.... By the way, I've found out that the update program is not compatible with Vista (it hangs, and this incompatibility was confirmed by tech support), so XP is recommended for the update process.

Daryl
    I had not seen this.

If you took the time to read the manual, you would know that your statement on poi lookup is erroneous.

What you seem to forget is that both HK and HP use NavNgo software, with HP using the more updated version.

I never use windscreen mounts and so an active mount is useless to me. I use a vent mount, easier to read, easier to dismantle and hide all traces of a GPS in the car, so smashed windows risk is greatly reduced. Also, windscreen mounts are illegal in Calif and Minnesota, so if you travel...

However, for windscreen mounters, I would accept that the HK may have the more attractive option.

The caring thing was sarcastic...which multinational is "caring".LoL I was not the one to introduce the concept. Old HP maybe, but new HP is similar to the rest.
  • infama 0 Points
    :lol: I was expecting infama's responses... something was telling me that I will be seeing those very soon. Well, everyone has their own opinion and preferences. .
    Its all in good fun igor! Stirring the pot a bit.

Just playing devil's advocate. LoL