This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Harmon Kardon gps-810 issues

12346»

Comments

• igorb81 0 Points
    Unfortunately I think you are spamming this board with unrelated info that is not really useful to any of HK owners. Sorry... but that's how I see it. BTW these boards are more for help rather than fun. Most of these owners are not going anywhere and your posts about TomTom and HP are not that helpful here since in our opinion those two still can't offer what we are looking for in terms of performance and ease of use. Every reputable review and comparison (i.e PC Magazine, Cnet, Consumer Reports and others) I have seen to date for mobile GPS units consistently rates Nuvi 7XX series as the number one spot and HK doing fairly well as too that can't be said about HP unit unfortunately but TomTom is in the middle of the pack as well in terms of reliable routes and GPS performance including maps. Those finding make perfect sence for me since I came up with same based on my experience and observation.
  • infama 0 Points
    << HK does not make the software, and clearly does not have the global hardware clout of HP. Simply put, what HP offers in terms of hardware on the 300 series is nothing short of mind boggling. 600mz dual core Centrality Titan chip with separate DSP, 40 channel GPS receiver and GPS AUTONOMY feature...mariied to better than DVD quality 800x480 LED backlit, transflective widescreen LCD touchscreen! Whew, what a mouthful. And all this over 6 months ago??? Add to that 2gb of internal memory and a market leading 128mb of RAM. There is no equal. Sorry. >>

The Harman/Kardon also has 2 GB of internal memory and 128 MB of RAM. Its processor is also not very shabby ... it clocks at a frequency of 532 MHz, compared to the HP's 600. As for the HP's 'transflective' touchscreen, I recall having had many instances of wash-out; I've not had as many readability problems with the 810....

Daryl
    I have no no washout issues with the 310, and I have had some with the TT920. The 310 has the best screen spec, no question.

What you are saying about the HK is that it has slightly lesser hardware for twice the price. That is my point about the HP hardware. Low price and best in class.

BTW, I checked the HK manual and it confirms what you say. However the tech pamphlet from the HK website seems to contadict this:
    http://www.harmankardon.com/guideandplay/docs/GPS810PIS.pdf

Here I see mention of the Centrality ATLAS II chip, and not the Freescale iMX31L CPU in the manual. The Atlas 2 is only avalaible in the configs below:

Atlas-II
    ARM 9 Dual-core processor
    Available at 276MHz, 300MHz and 324MHz
    GPS integrated on chip
    Centrality GPS V3 technology
    22 channels
    High sensitivity and high accuracy
    On chip DSP and hardware acceleration
    Navigation and Music concurrency
    Video post processing
    Video scaling and color space conversion
    USB 2.0 Full-speed (12Mbps) on-chip
    http://www.centralitycomm.com/centralitynav/Home/Products/Atlas-II.html

To confuse matters more Amazon says that it is only a 16 channel GPS receiver, but I discount that.

Here are the specs for the TITAN in the iPaq:
    Titan

ARM 11 Dual-core processor
    Available from 600MHz and 650MHz
    GPS integrated on chip
    Centrality GPS V5 technology
    40+ channels
    High sensitivity and high accuracy
    On chip DSP and hardware acceleration
    VFPU
    Floating point based 3D acceleration
    Video post processing
    Video scaling up to 800x480 LCD and color space conversion,
    Picture-in-picture support
    Simultaneous navigation with multimedia
    Navigation and Music concurrency
    USB 2.0 High-speed (480Mbps) on-chip
    SDRAM supports 32-bit DDR and mobile DDR

http://www.centralitycomm.com/centralitynav/Home/Products/Titan.html

It is late here and I have to go to bed. It has been fun debating with you and perhaps we can continue another time.

Have a good day/night!
  • DarylO 0 Points
    << If you took the time to read the manual, you would know that your statement on poi lookup is erroneous. >>

If I am not mistaken, there wasn't even a manual available when I bought my HP back in October. And if there was one, I definitely would have taken the time to read it. For you to make the statement that I had not taken the time to read it is rude and insulting. And my statement regarding POI lookup was absolutely correct. You obviously have never used an HP 310 with its original firmware. If you love the HP so much, go post in their thread and leave ours alone, you jerk.

Daryl

P.S. The GPS-810 can be had at Costco right now for $279, hardly 'twice the price' of the HP 310. Get your facts straight, moron.
  • infama 0 Points
    Unfortunately I think you are spamming this board with unrelated info that is not really useful to any of HK owners. Sorry... but that's how I see it. BTW these boards are more for help rather than fun. Most of these owners are not going anywhere and your posts about TomTom and HP are not that helpful here since in our opinion those two still can't offer what we are looking for in terms of performance and ease of use. Every reputable review and comparison (i.e PC Magazine, Cnet, Consumer Reports and others) I have seen to date for mobile GPS units consistently rates Nuvi 7XX series as the number one spot and HK doing fairly well as too that can't be said about HP unit unfortunately but TomTom is in the middle of the pack as well in terms of reliable routes and GPS performance including maps. Those finding make perfect sence for me since I came up with same based on my experience and observation.
    Well, if you cant have fun here, it is not worth coming.

Moaning about lack of support and how long it is taking to fix bugs in my opinion is NOT very helpful.

Spamming? Or maybe you dont like what I write! Maybe you cant handle the truth.

My rep here is secure. I have helped tons more people here (and at at least 3 other sites) than you have and have the messages/feedback to prove it (ask Tim if you like). I personally feel its a help to prospective buyers to clear the air and give objective opinion when I see clear inaccurate statements being made about being "best" and all that rot. Too much Stockholm syndrome here.

For your info another piece of disinfo is review ratings...on Amazon the ipaq 310 has a BETTER rating than the 810. 3 and a half stars to 3 stars.

CNet/PC mag/Consumer reports are terrible places to get GPS reviews. If you didnt know that before, then I understand the misinfo that is perpetrated here.

This is even better than dated reviews with pre-release models, as it averages over time with maturing units after FW updates, etc. Of course, if you never have a useful update...
  • infama 0 Points
    << If you took the time to read the manual, you would know that your statement on poi lookup is erroneous. >>

If I am not mistaken, there wasn't even a manual available when I bought my HP back in October. And if there was one, I definitely would have taken the time to read it. For you to make the statement that I had not taken the time to read it is rude and insulting. And my statement regarding POI lookup was absolutely correct. You obviously have never used an HP 310 with its original firmware. If you love the HP so much, go post in their thread and leave ours alone, you jerk.

Daryl

P.S. The GPS-810 can be had at Costco right now for $279, hardly 'twice the price' of the HP 310. Get your facts straight, moron.
    Costco had several deals on limited time offers and after that its normal price again. And I heard the price was $299!

If it does not work, maybe $99 is too much to pay.

Quite with the insults. You clearly did not read the manual and are getting peeved at me.

The manual was avaialble since at least November and was shipped in the box on the CD!

And I post where I darn well please! Open forum here.

Go ahead and suffer with your 810. Dont hold your breath for improvements though. NavNgo wont be doing it and HK cant, so keep living in your dream world.
  • infama 0 Points
    I had several posts in the HP thread in this forum.

Daryl
    You have had 17 post and from what I can see. none of them were in the HP section.
  • DarylO 0 Points

Daryl

You have had 17 post and from what I can see. none of them were in the HP section.
    I was mistaken. I had posted in the GpsPasSion forum (http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96823&whichpage=13).

In any case, your claim that the 310 shipped with a manual on its CD is A LIE. It had not. It had shipped with a Quick Reference guide and a help file in .chm format that was completely useless. If you had bothered to visit their website (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=10
    1&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=3544502), you would have known that the manual wasn't even posted until DECEMBER of last year, several weeks after I had returned the piece of crap. Also, I've reviewed the manual (both versions that were posted), and it appears that it is STILL too difficult to search for POI's in a distant place. It seems, therefore, that HP STILL hasn't gotten it right.

As for you moaning about me insulting you, that's sure the pot calling the kettle black! It was you who had first insulted ME. You're obviously a troll, so GET LOST.

Daryl
  • infama 0 Points

Daryl

I was mistaken. I had posted in the GpsPasSion forum (http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96823&whichpage=13).

In any case, your claim that the 310 shipped with a manual on its CD is A LIE. It had not. It had shipped with a Quick Reference guide and a help file in .chm format that was completely useless. If you had bothered to visit their website (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId
    =215348&prodSeriesId=3544502), you would have known that the manual wasn't even posted until DECEMBER of last year, several weeks after I had returned the piece of crap. Also, I've reviewed the manual (both versions that were posted), and it appears that it is STILL too difficult to search for POI's in a distant place. It seems, therefore, that HP STILL hasn't gotten it right.

As for you moaning about me insulting you, that's sure the pot calling the kettle black! It was you who had first insulted ME. You're obviously a troll, so GET LOST.

Daryl
    Mine shipped with a manual and it is published dated November 2007!

I wont get lost, sorry. Not on your say so. For someone who just joined this site in April, you have a lot of talk.

I did not insult you you, I simply stated that if you took the time to read the manual. That was no ad-hominem attack like what you did. If I made a mistake about the manual pre-December, its no more than your obvious gaffe about GPSpasion.

I have no probs with POI lookup, so that on you.

Try to keep a check on your emotions, it is unbecoming.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    Daryl... Just ignore him and his useless rants about GPS units that are totally irrelevant to this board. Obviously he is immature and rude individual who has a lot of time on his hands to go around and insult various GPS owners. I suggest that Tim reviews his posts and clean up this board from all his worthless posts here. His posts do not add any value here but clutter this post that was reserved for HK owners to share their experiences and solutions.

Tim can you please do something about this infama person? It's becoming an eye sore seeing his useless rants here. :evil:

(infama- I thought you said it was too late and you had to go to bed where you at... hmm just like I thought you have nothing better to do then clutter boards with unrelated posts)
  • infama 0 Points
    Daryl... Just ignore him and his useless rants about GPS units that are totally irrelevant to this board. Obviously he is immature and rude individual who has a lot of time on his hands to go around and insult various GPS owners. I suggest that Tim reviews his posts and clean up this board from all his worthless posts here. His posts do not add any value here but clutter this post that was reserved for HK owners to share their experiences and solutions.

Tim can you please do something about this infama person? It's becoming an eye sore seeing his useless rants here. :evil:

(infama- I thought you said it was too late and you had to go to bed where you at... hmm just like I thought you have nothing better to do then clutter boards with unrelated posts)
    Like this post added anything?? You claim you like Navteq maps but are pining away for this TA based device??? You did not even know this was iGo software...no wonder you live in a fools paradise. And when you are offered a bit of light, you see it as a threat. Go figure!

Good luck on getting Tim to do your whimsical bidding. Dont think it will happen. You see, I have been around the block here and have contributed more than you have.

Immature is ad-hominem attacks...notice I have not been making them.

You simply cannot handle the truth and that is not a sign of maturity.

Good luck waiting for the pot of HK gold at the end of the rainbow. You seem to believe in fairytales, so I will no longer disabuse you of that notion.

Y
  • Tim 1481 Points
    After a few years and tens of thousands of posts-- so far I haven't had to "baby-sit" any threads due to behavior other than the blatantly obvious spam which just gets deleted. I've never "lectured" anyone. I don't wish to start now.

Passionate opinions is part of what this site is about, and (even sometimes heated) debates are often the place where people end up learning the most.

I'll leave it at that.
  • Yegor 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    After a few years and tens of thousands of posts-- so far I haven't had to "baby-sit" any threads due to behavior other than the blatantly obvious spam which just gets deleted. I've never "lectured" anyone. I don't wish to start now.

Passionate opinions is part of what this site is about, and (even sometimes heated) debates are often the place where people end up learning the most.

I'll leave it at that.
    You're absolutely right Tim.

I completely understand the member who's asking to block the other one, however, even though those posts are irelevent, he has rights to express his point of view, and what we can do - is not getting into a long debate, if we don't want to take it into a different direction other than this thread ment to.

So again, let's discuss GPS 810, as all of us gathered here to find help and more details about this innovative gadget, and let's don't forget, that there are more aspects other than maps, that interest many of us.
  • DarylO 0 Points
    I've discovered that my audio balance problem has been fixed with this firmware upgrade! So, the problem wasn't with the dock, after all! I'm very excited about this, especially since it wasn't looking as if I was ever going to get that replacement dock that was promised me....

Daryl
  • jcupit7 0 Points
    All, I am a new member here and am also looking for a new GPS. I saw the 810 in Costco for $279, which I thought was a great price for the feature set it offered. However, once I started doing research, I got really scared of buying it due to the shear number of bad reviews this thing gets both here and on other sites. That force me started looking at other devices, which is where I found the TomTom 920. The Magellan 4050 and 4250 have a very rich feature set including full voice recognition, but it appears the BT is hard to use and that those tend to freeze up very frequently and not respond to touchscreen commands sometimes at all, and most of the times late. This is a shame, becasue I currently have a magellan 700, and the thing has never led me astray. However, the Garmin c330 I have has consistently given me bad directions and taken me to poi's that don't exist. And by don't exist, I am not talking about just went out of business. I am talking about it taking me to a Sonny's in Orlando that actually turned out to be a giant vacant field after a 17 mile trip through the heart of Kissimmee. I almost threw the thing out my window. That thing is worthless! Just last weekend it took me to a the wrong church on the wrong side of the road for a wedding! Two of my friends have Garmin's as well, and they complain of the same thing, even after the latest software and map updates. Grrrrr....

So, here I am, back looking at the 810 and the TT920. They both have a good set of features, with the strongest attribute off the 810 being usability and UI friendliness, and the TT having the very cool mapshare and customizing features. I am torn. The question I have tothe forum here is, does the 810 fix the multitude of problems listed in this thread? Are there still downsides? The most important thing in a GPS unit is how does it perform at that task. So, how does the 810 perform at the simple task of getting you where you need to go in an accurate and timely manner? I want the BT too, but will never use the audio and video playback functions.

Thanks for your help!
  • jcupit7 0 Points
    "The question I have tothe forum here is, does the 810 fix the multitude of problems listed in this thread?"

I meant to say, does the FIRMWARE update fix the multitude of problems listed on this forum?

Thansk!
  • catz 0 Points
    I have upgraded. The change noticed is that my blue tooth connection is now stable. It kept losing my phone. You also had to first do the connect manager and then when phone was recognized you then got another screen so you could download contacts. It is now automatic.

Even though the maps are supposed to be out of date, in my area I get to see streets that other gps dont bother to even show as you drive.

I have lend leased ( joke ) 5 gps units from Costco and will report on the models I have tested.
  • cz9h3d 0 Points
    I have lend leased ( joke ) 5 gps units from Costco and will report on the models I have tested.
    Hey - I only have two units from Costo at present! Glad someone is "crazier" than myself! I contemplated the 810, but since my desire was for an inexpensive occasional use unit, I've (so far) avoided going above $150/unit.

Let's see...you have an 810, also a 310? Magellan 325 and 1412, Nuvi 760? At some stores I've seen the Magallan 4250, as well as the occasional Nuvi.
  • Yegor 0 Points
    I bought my second 810 past Sunday (returned the first one last month), brought it home, charged for seven hours, turned it on, and the battery was dead. Changed the location, charged again - same thing. A message appeared: "Battery Depleted."

I am withdrawing, guys. I can't take this anymore, don't even want to get a replacement, just can't rely on it. I don't want to go back to Garmin or anything else either. I think I'll be fine with my iPhone for now and get the 3G one next month.

Good luck!
  • I bought my second 810 past Sunday (returned the first one last month), brought it home, charged for seven hours, turned it on, and the battery was dead. Changed the location, charged again - same thing. A message appeared: "Battery Depleted."

I am withdrawing, guys. I can't take this anymore, don't even want to get a replacement, just can't rely on it. I don't want to go back to Garmin or anything else either. I think I'll be fine with my iPhone for now and get the 3G one next month.

Good luck!
    Sorry to hear about your issues. You may already have tried this, but if you reset the unit it might then accept the charge. Mine did not seem to be accepting the initial charge, I then reset it, and have had no such problems since, including on subsequent charges without needing to reset.
  • jusufac 0 Points
    hey guys,

i was just wondering if any of you have had much success with the microphone/bluetooth feature. all my callers cant hear me or say i sound distant. i tried a microphone from the pioneer avic-z3 and a cheap microphone from walmart. none worked well.

i would appreciate any suggestions. i'm updating my gps810 now, so hopefully that would improve connection to my nokia 6133 at least.

Thanks,
  • hey guys,

i was just wondering if any of you have had much success with the microphone/bluetooth feature. all my callers cant hear me or say i sound distant. i tried a microphone from the pioneer avic-z3 and a cheap microphone from walmart. none worked well.

i would appreciate any suggestions. i'm updating my gps810 now, so hopefully that would improve connection to my nokia 6133 at least.

Thanks,
    So far, sound fidelity seems good both ways (based on a small number of calls). HK has much more experience in sound processing and suppression than others in the GPS space. All of my (limited) GPS-810/bluetooth experience has happened since the firmware update.
  • jusufac 0 Points
    i just find it funny that the microphone is on the right side of the driver... so it's actually closer to the passenger than the driver.

my experience hasn't been very good with the bluetooth unfortunately. i'm going to try the update later today. hopefully that will help...
  • Guys, I decided to bail out of this H/K GPS unit.

I did the upgrade, bluetooth worked only for a few hours, now it's back like it was before, lost connection, unable to reconnect.

Then there is the battery, which only last 1 hr on standby.

The last thing it did was it misguided me, I used it on the way home to see how it does after the upgrade, but instead of telling me to go straight, stay on the freeway (which is the right way), it kept telling me to take the exit, to some places I don't even know.

The reset, turn off, turn on methods is just useless, it doesn't make any difference. That's about when I gave up -- it was just utterly, absolutely hopeless.

Now I'm sending it back for the warranty services on the battery, then it'll be on eBay.

I decided to go back to Garmin, I just got the Nuvi 760, this is a true GPS unit.

I will no longer be in the H/K forums, but I'll be in the Garmin section of the forums.

It was nice talking to you H/K owners, and good luck with your units.
  • catz 0 Points
    well after upgrading as I said it stayed connected to my phone BUT.....
    It no longer transmits cell calls from fm transmitter to my fm radio!!!!
    All I get is distortion. I tried re-upgrading but it still craps out. Am contacting HK for warranty service.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    I never used FM modulators! I don't even believe in them. To start with they give you very poor audio quality why not just use auxiliary port and wire it through your audio. It works 100 times better. There are aux input kits that are sold on eBay. There are many ways getting this implemented. I will never use FM transmitters they are pretty much worthless when your radio frequencies are all congested to start with. I have tried before with various ones and you just can't find a channel around here on the radio so the best option is to wire it through your system if your car does not have audio input already.
  • Infama must be a Compaq/Hp employee...

Tim, can you ban him? Seriously. He's about as helpful as an HK-810...
  • infama 0 Points
    Infama must be a Compaq/Hp employee...

Tim, can you ban him? Seriously. He's about as helpful as an HK-810...
    More likely to ban you!

Tim knows exactly who I am. What does he know about you???

Not helpful?? You geezers did not even know what software your unit runs. This is why many here live in false hope for the big fix that never comes. iGo6 has been OBSOLETED. Go do some research.

Talk about casting pearls before swine!

Get your heads out of the sand and have rational discussions! Dont attack the messenger, deal with the facts. ...and again, go do some research.

And no, I do not work for HP and Compaq ceased to exist several years ago as a company!
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Infama is not an HP employee. I've spoken all that needs to be said back up here.

While sometimes perhaps coming off as acerbic, his knowledge of GPS products is incredible and his posts here are a great value to most users.

His points are valid, but perhaps the delivery isn't as soft as it could be... that is just his personality--- direct and to the point. If you don't like his posts, don't read them. Even easier than hitting the delete key, just move your eyes past.

Getting back to HP and Harkman/Kardon

Let's talk a little bit about computers. You go out and buy a Dell on it. Dell makes the computer. On that computer is an operating system. Typically something like Windows XP or Windows Vista. Microsoft makes the operating system. And on that operating system you have software. The software is written by a software company. So three layers. Most of the time when you use your computer, you are interacting with that third layer... the software.

Your GPS isn't much different. There is hardware, an Operating System, and the software which you ultimately are interacting with.

In the case of the H/K GPS devices, H/K doesn't make the software themselves. All of the programming that goes into the menu systems and screens you see were not written by H/K. They were written by a company called Nav-n-Go and the software is called iGo.

Guess what.... The same thing goes for the HP GPS devices as well. They too use the iGo software by Nav-n-Go. That is why Infama has such a good knowledge not only about the HP device, but also about the H/K devices many of you here own--- they are based on the same software.

There is one important difference though. The version of iGo that is running on your H/K devices is version 6 and the version HP is running on the iPAQ is version 8.

That is why it is extremely unlikely that the H/K devices will ever see substantial upgrade to the software in your devices. You could get map updates, but Nav-n-go isn't likely to write many software changes to patch version 6 of their application when version 8 is out and shipping.

H/K is strapped down by the software they have used-- they really can't go and make any software updates themselves and instead rely on Nav-n-go.

This is one thing that differentiates a "tier 1" GPS company from the rest-- The big names typically write their own navigation software. After-all, if you were building a GPS you would typically want to have control over the software, right?

This isn't to say that the iGo software by Nav-n-go isn't good software. But H/K owners are in an unfortunate position of waiting for H/K to provide an update of which they in turn have little control over.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The one bit of good news is that it looks like iGo6 map updates (without the 3D) may soon be released.
  • igorb81 0 Points
    Eh... Yeah I know what you mean Tim. It is a really good idea to do thorough research before purchasing any major electronic purchases. As soon as I found out that everything is basically outsourced for this unit that is when I made up my mind about ditching this otherwise amazing piece of gadgetry. I will be listing my HK gps on eBay this week while I am very happy and satisfied with my Nuvi 750 and Garmin's dedication with their customers.

Good Luck guys! But it's just was a failure for me even though I still like it more than anything on the market. It was the most friendliest GPS ever built despite some bugs it was pretty remarkable for a while. The best integration of a remote in the industry as well. Oh well :roll:
  • fatate 0 Points
    I think HK answer to the Igo 6 is the new KH/Becker GPS with Navigon UI
  • infama 0 Points
    I think HK answer to the Igo 6 is the new KH/Becker GPS with Navigon UI
    That uses Navteq map data though, unlike igo which uses TeleAtlas (and a few local suppliers in E. Europe).

The Becker looks impressive and is widely available in Europe, but I have not read any reviews yet. I find Navigon ui to be on the slow side though...
  • ggoodfel 0 Points
    Infama - You seem to be quite knowledgeable. Could you explain to someone that is fairly new to GPS devices how the software peices of this device all fall together. Im fairly sure that HK810 uses windows mobile OS. Is IGO 6 just a software package on this OS? If so why can they (HK) not just upgrade like I would do with Excel or Word? I am guessing that the software is married to the hardware and can not be upgraded.

I would like to learn more. Also has anyone hacked the software to add functionality that you are aware of?

Thanks!!!
  • infama 0 Points
    Infama - You seem to be quite knowledgeable. Could you explain to someone that is fairly new to GPS devices how the software peices of this device all fall together. Im fairly sure that HK810 uses windows mobile OS. Is IGO 6 just a software package on this OS? If so why can they (HK) not just upgrade like I would do with Excel or Word? I am guessing that the software is married to the hardware and can not be upgraded.

I would like to learn more. Also has anyone hacked the software to add functionality that you are aware of?

Thanks!!!
    I agree with your preamble about the HK version of igo6 being mated to the HK hardware. Not sure if the base OPsys is Windows CE or Windows Mobile, but igo can be ported to both anyway.

My guess is that the HK with some customization work COULD be made igo8 compatible, but not sure if NavNgo is very interested in doing this at the moment as they have the rollout of their US and Latam products to do, and they also have to service present and future igo8 partners like HP, Clarion and a few other PDA/Satnav clients.

Even if this work was done, who would pay? Would HK suck up this cost or charge present users to upgrade? Why would the user base pay, when they have a legit gripe that the present offering is not yet "complete" and ready for prime-time?

The work for any upgrade is not inconsequential, because, based on use feedback here, the interface seems to be well thought out and intuitive, while the remote is tightly integrated into the package. This will require significant work to complete the task and wring out all the bugs, focussing on the integration of the base software with the HK unique hardware configuration....getting BT telephone to work properly, etc.

I figure if it was easy HK should have been able to do it by themselves already. Not sure if they would have the internal IT resources to do this. If the vaunted HP depends on NavNgo and they are an IT giant.....
  • electra 0 Points
    Any member knows when the next firmware comes out? I am still having problem with pairing my phone to the 810.
  • Any member knows when the next firmware comes out? I am still having problem with pairing my phone to the 810.
    Judging by the length of time it took to release this recent firmware I would estimate anywhere from 8-12 months , IF ever.

The HK 810 GPS is no longer sold in major electronic retailers, most units are selling out off the shelves and not being restocked, a few remaining ones are on ebay.

So from a realist point of view, there seems to be no plans for any future firmware updates.
  • Seems only firmware out is for the US version - no dice for the EU-version yet.

1. Did they update any of the actual menus/graphics or that sort when the US-firmware was updated? (i.e. does it now show your speed?)

2. How long from first launch till the GPS-810US had it's first firmware-upgrade?

Peter, Denmark :shock:
  • They did not update the menu, no new features, no new information display, nothing noticeable except for a supposed bluetooth fix, ironically enough my bluetooth menu died after the update and I am not undoing it, im sick of trying to fix it.
  • remysor 0 Points
    I have a GPS which has installed windows ce core 5 and it shows the error "Fatal application error .... gwes.exe has performed .....Program: gwes.exe , Exception: 0xC0000005 , Address: 00023914 " and in boot menu it requests only nk.nb0. Is there anything I can do in this situation?
  • Nobody knows where could I get a SD CARD backup for converting US unit to EU unit??? thanks in advance...
  • mrsteve7 0 Points
    As I do from time to time, I inquire about map updates for my GPS-810.

Today, I was surprised to received this response from HK support regarding the possibility of map updates:

-----------
    Hi Steve,

At this point, we've been told there will be a single map update for the GPS by the end of 2009. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm when they will be ready or how much they will sell for. Please check in with us from time to time for updated firmware and information for your GPS.

When the map update is made available, it will be distributed and run off of a pre-loaded SD card. There is no way to overwrite the internal map data.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Andy

HCG Customer Support
    ------

Here's to hoping ...

-Steve
  • pare_john 0 Points
    I assume this update will be available for all their GPS' ?
  • mrsteve7 0 Points
    Don't know for certain; I had only asked about the GPS-810.

That would be nice, as I've got a GPS-510 as well.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If anyone needs any HK 510 parts-- I've got some.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    A few people here might be interested in this thread:
    GPS-810 map updates; no such luck ...
  • I researched for a long time before I bought my 810 4 or 5 years ago. It didn't have everything I wanted; but had more than any other unit out there. I love the 12 million POI. That feature really came in handy during a cross country US trip. However, I have had many problems. My battery is shot! Maybe it's my fault since I leave it in the car and it does get hot; even in Illinois. Since there was no info in the Quick Start about the battery, (at least I didn't see it), I may have contributed to it's demise. I called HK and was told it would cost around $100 to replace the battery. (I included cost of shipping) To upgrade the firmware it takes a 50% battery charge. When I unplug my unit it takes 2 sec to shut down due to battery discharge. "Catch 22". While navigating, it shuts down for no reason. It runs me in circles sometimes. It tells me to "Turn right on Interstate 64 West", when i know I should be turning left and going East. It has done that several times in many different parts of the US.
    The maps are outdated and there will be no update there. I can't update the firmware, so it's time to look for a new GPS; unless someone knows how to change the battery. That could keep me going for a while.
    I am looking at Garmin's 5 inch screen with lifetime map upgrades. Traffic is not important since it only works in the big cities. I do want the current speed and the speed limit feature. Cant believe HK didnt have that. That is really important to me. They dont have as many POI's, but at least I can live with that. Garmin is going to stay in the GPS business for a very long time. (I'm a pilot and Garmin is what I use in the plane) Any thoughts on the right unit for my car??