The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Harmon Kardon gps-810 issues

kklick 0 Points
Hey guys new to the site but it looks great.

I just picked up the new harmon kardon gps 810 over the weekend. I must say I love the unit and it functions but there appear to be some bugs that are not worked out yet.

First off the quick start quide is useless for anything other than simple operations. It really does not go in depth about any of the features or settings. Hopefully they will have a full users manual up on the site but for now its just the quick start guide.

My first mapping impressions have not faired well. It misses my home address by 1.6 miles. It misses my work address by 2.5 miles and it missed a coworkers house by 1.1 miles.

I expected it was probably in the mapping software so my first call was to Harmon Kardon customer service. The guy I talked to was pretty much useless. He had no answers and didn't want to try and help. He couldn't even tell me who they used for their map software provider. After reading some reviews here I learned it was through Tele atlas. I contacted them about the unit since it was not listed on their site. They said they can't help me and couldn't tell me what version of the maps the system uses. I did find the section on their site where you can submit your updates so I at least did that. So now I'm pretty much back to square one though. I was hoping it was just an outdated map but I still don't really know and Harmon Kardon customer service couldn't really tell me when to expect an update to be available. Anyone have any insight??

The next issue I'm having is syncing up with a bluetooth phone. I can get it to sync with my verizon moto q but when the address book syncs up the names just show up as letters and symbols. No names at all. It will still call and function like it should though. When I sync with my wife's verizon lg phone it will sync but no numbers or names sync up. I can use the number pad and place a call but again there are no contacts. With my nextel i880 it will not even sync up.

With the lack of a manual I still haven't figured out how the traffic feature is supposed to work. I went to realtimetraffic and set up my free trial and entered everything there and on the unit as I was instructed to do but apparently I'm missing something because its not working.

If anyone has any advice or can help me out with anything that would be great. I know its new but apparently it didn't involve much beta testing and traing of support staff.

Comments

• VazQV 0 Points
    I came very close to buying the 810 until I found that when I tried to sync my Moto V325i the phone numbers were ok but all the names were also numbers instead of letters. Is there a way to edit and correct the names in the 810?

Too bad- I really thought the graphics, menus and integration of the Nav with the MP3 were the best I have seen.
  • Haven't seen the lack of accuracy yet. You might want to go to Navigation, click Navigation Details, and watch your satellites. This might tip you off as to what is wrong.

I have found that my phone is not compatible either although I know I have a Bluetooth 1.2. I have asked Garmin now for days if that is my issue (I just want them to admit it), and have been given no reply to date. As you say, very weak support for a high end unit. May end up using my 30-day return policy if HK doesn't get a move on . . .
  • Hey guys thanks for the replies. I was beginning to think I was the only one who bought the 810.

VazQV There is no way to go in and manually update the names.

I have made a little progress with their tech support but not much. They are in the process of getting a firmware update out that is supposed to fix alot of the bluetooth issues. I've talked to Frank in suppport and he seems to be the most helpful. Well, he returns calls at least. Still doesn't have alot of answers but is trying. I emailed him my list of issues and he turned it over to the engineering department. He is supposed to call me back this week with some more info. There is still no full users manual out just the quick start quide.

Bill B I don't think most of my map issuse are satellite issues. I seem to get very good signal and very accurate results. When driving known routes i'll just turn on the map and most everything is spot on. I think most of the issues I've found are map related. At my work address the road our company is on turns from one road to another about 2 miles out of town. The roads are reversed on the map so I'm sure thats why it misses my work address. I've found a few more older subdivisons that are not even on the maps as well.

I'm being patient with them to see if they can come up with some answers for me. I know new products are tough to get the kinks worked out of sometimes. I figured i'd rather try and help them know what the problems are than just abbandon ship and return it. That doesn't help the next guy that buys one. I'm contemplating buying a different brand and testing the mapping side by side and see how it works out. If they both miss then I'll know its just the places i'm trying to find. If not HK will need to be getting some map udates out asap.

I still haven't figured out how the traffic system is supposed to work. Anyone know??
  • kklick - I get the same answers from Frank in Tech Support that you do - that he is sending to engineering and he wants to be helpful. I think they are throwing him under the bus personally, but I also hope that perhaps engineering is overwhelmed as most large companies are these days (cut base cost until it hurts too bad).

I am going to hang on to my GPS-810 because now that I have mounted the unit and the remote control, it is a very nice unit. That remote is just too sweet to give up. I'll be using my unit for about two thousand miles through the holidays, and based on what you said, I may take my wife's Garmin c550 to see if there are any major differences in mapping.

Let me know how things are progressing with "engineering", and I'll give you my feedback from the trip.
  • Support indicated that a firmware update is done and should be released soon. He didn't give me a timeline though.....

1. The traffic service setup is very frustrating. According to the page 12, point 3 of the Quick Start Guide, the unit must be connected to the power cord to receive traffic. I am not sure why this is the case as it seems the unit should be capable of getting updates via battery power. It's able to do everything else via battery power. However, this is what I have observed. When the unit it turned off or in standby and I connect it to the powered dock, the unit powers on automatically. Once it comes up, I go into the traffic frequency setting and find that it says no TMC service is available. I have to standby or power off the unit and then power it up again to get it to report TMC service as available. This is maddening when I get in the car and have to fiddle with it for a couple of minutes to get it to work every time I get in the car. The work around I have found is to set the hold switch when I turn the unit off and then when I dock it, it sees it's locked and will not power up all the way. This allows me to power the unit on quicker but it's still unacceptable as I have to mess with it more than I should have to.

2. The bluetooth handsfree is really annoying and doesn't work consistently. It often looses connectivity to the phone, for whatever reason and then won't reconnect. I have to spend about 20 minutes deleting the connection and trying to get it to repair with the phone successfully. I know a lot about bluetooth and have used dozens of headsets with my phone and a number of other bluetooth headphones. In fact, I was using bluetooth when no one knew what it was and was teaching others about it. I work for a company (Socket Mobile, Inc.) who did some of the early development on it. I am the Systems Administrator and I have about 75 employees who are on bluetooth cell phones and they all come to me when they have trouble. I use a T-Mobile Dash as my phone of choice. I also tested the unit with a T-Mobile Wing and found the same inconsistent performance. Today I was on the phone in the car and then I arrived at my destination. i set the phone to take the call back from the handsfree and left the car while I continued my call. When I returned to the car, I found that the phone section of the GPS unit was completely greyed out and I could not make a selection. Putting the unit into standby or powering it off and back on gives me the same grey phone screen and I have no way to link the unit with the phone again.

3. The built-in mic in the unit doesn't seem to be very sensitive. I am in a Ford Mustang and the road noise isn't too bad inside and the car is pretty well sealed, yet I sound very quiet to people. It seems it would be possible to increase the mic gain in the unit and maybe even make it user adjustable.
  • techbri

I've got the same problems with the traffic reciever. ( now that I've figured out it actually works) It will not automatically pick up the traffic signal. I usually just turn the reciever to manual adjust the station then turn it back to auto and it will pick up and work fine then. Like you though I find that pretty unacceptable.

I haven't really messed with the bluetooth much since I can't get my contacts to work so I can't really say anything about the mic. Its doesn't sound very encouraging though. I drive a chevy astro cargo van for work so i'm sure its a good bit louder than your mustang. Sounds like I might have issues with that.

I've sent off another email to them describing my traffic issuses and map frustrations. I've still finding places every week that aren't on the map. Most places are subdivisions in columbus ohio. There are a few that I don't expect to be there because they are probably only 12-15 months old. There are others though that have been around for 4-5 years and they are not mapped. To me thats unacceptable. I purchased a brand new unit I really expect it come with the most up to date maps.

Hopefully this firware update will be out soon and fix alot of the problems. If not is sounds as if they will be getting alot of returned units.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    There are a few that I don't expect to be there because they are probably only 12-15 months old. There are others though that have been around for 4-5 years and they are not mapped.
    I've found streets on some GPS devices that have existed for over 20 years that are not on the map. I've even found roads that were abandoned over 20 years ago that now have trees growing on them that are still mapped.
  • I spoke with a supervisor today to get an update. I won't mention his name so he doesn' t get inundated with calls but he gave me the ok to post his comments. He assured me that he is tracking these issues with the engineering group and that they are getting closer to resolving them but want to make the update comprehensive to cover the issues and a good experience for the user. It sounds like there are a couple of issues left to resolve before rolling the patches into an update and pushing it out to the users. He did assure me that they are committed to resolving the issues and we have their attention.
  • Cant wait for the new update techbri. Please keep us posted.

I just bit the bullet and picked up the 810. So far its working great and I have not really experienced any issues.

A few notes to Mac users as the manual only spoke to Pc's:

An extrenal SD card reader will not work with San Disk SD cards I purchased. You just need to have the card inside the GPS unit and just plug it in to a usb port.

As far as the video concern. I tried a app called Visual Hub and I could not get decent video to playback or even work at times. I was converting xvids, mpgs, and divx movies to either mp4 or wmv format. I love Visual hub for other devices, just not the 810 stiff requirements.

http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub

Another app that worked great was call MP4 Converter. I went with the conversion setting:

PSP - PSP MPEG-4 (*.mp4)

Video Quality = 512
    Audio Quality = 64

http://www.mp4converter.net

The movies came out great and the file sizes on each where almost cut in half.

HTH
  • I have the opposite problem. I am using a 4GB SDHC memory card and the unit sees it but when I plug it into my mac, I can't write to the card. I can write to it fine using a card reader. I also came across an app for us Mac users that allows you to sync iTunes playlists to a memory card. It's called SyncTunes and you can find it here. http://www.nesfield.co.uk/synctunes/

Back to the traffic issues- It was raining during the commute hour yesterday morning which creates traffic nightmares. I had set the HK to navigate me to work and it was showing traffic updates but didn't seem to re-route me around the traffic jam I was stuck in. I realized that I didn't have traffic avoidances turned on (shouldn't this be a default?) so I turned it on and it did get me around traffic on the way home. I will have to try it for a few days to see how well it works.

Also, I changed cell phones last week and it won't sync the phonebook. I am now using a Treo 750 which is windows mobile like my last one. The HK doesn't pair up with the this phone most of the time either. I just use my bluetooth headset like I used to but for $600, it's pretty disappointing. I hope support gets a firmware update out quickly. I also know that part of the delay was that they were wanting to streamline the update as it would reset the unit and wipe out all existing preferences. I would gladly lose that data if it meant the device was more reliable.

SUPPORT - YOU HAVE TOLD ME YOU ARE WATCHING THIS FORUM. PLEASE HURRY AND GET US AN UPDATE.
  • I purchased this unit and like it alot,however a users manual is a must. I think the screen is as good or better than Garmin's.Interface is superb.The remote is great. Does anyone know if the unit supports TMC traffic or just the subscription to Total Traffic Network that you have to pay for. I see the GPS-500 has TMC. I was wondering if standby mode saves the battery or if the unit is just "sleeping". My unit does not go off & on with veichle ignition switch, thought it was supposed to.
    I at least found some basic info by checking out the GPS-500 manual online - not the best, but the only help out there right now. Hope firmware update is soon.
  • Just picked up the 810 and I am having some of the same issues. The main issue I have is my battery life. I have completely charged the unit for over 8 hours and I never get more than 30 minutes before it goes completely dead. Any suggestions?

Also, I had the same problem when importing my phone book using the bluetooth feature. It shows the phone numbers but the names appear as mixed numbers. I have a motorola razr.

Next, I am missing a lot of turns because the unit shows me about 300 feet from where I actually am. Its like it is about 5-7 seconds behind. When the unit shows me where I am I have aleady passed some of my turns. Any ideas?

I really like the unit but the whole battery life deal is really killing me. Please help!
  • Is anyone having problems with their FM transmitter? Mine is absolutley awful. I have tried every possible station (88.1, 88.3, etc.) and the sound is very low and full of static.

I called tech support today was told that the user's manual will be posted in 2 weeks and the firmware upgrade will be released in 2-4 weeks. We'll see....
  • All - great posts... I did a ton of web homework and bought a device or two as well but really wanted something with the flow and unification of GPS - VIDEO - MP3.... Now I know some of the players have just focused on one or the other so this is a give and take thing.

The Harman is about as close to perfect if they can update some items and have had some of the issues posted here like everyone, but one major feature I simply could not with my eyes believe was missing from a GPS device.... actually 1.5.

GPS ROUTE LIST??????? --- a simple snapshot of the list of turns the route has selected???? It blows me away that this does not exist or I am so stupid I can't find the way to display it???

MPH / SPEED --- another holy moley...

If someone here has the ear of Harmon could they please beg on my behalf for this? The Route List is crucial in any GPS because often what it allows you to do is sanitize where the device intends to take you. Heck I've seen myself accidentally enter the wrong address / city - for a similar location and needed to verify my mistake in the Route List.

Now I suspect a good bit of this code is ported from another Dev for the 810 but would love them to know this is a CRITICAL NEED.

Am I just missing this?

Thanks all... :?: :?:
  • I am with you on the MPH deal. It is hard for me to believe that this is not a feature on such an expensive unit. I tell myself I will find it somewhere buried in a settings screen however their are not a whole lot of options once you scroll through the settings.
  • I am with you on the MPH deal. It is hard for me to believe that this is not a feature on such an expensive unit. I tell myself I will find it somewhere buried in a settings screen however their are not a whole lot of options once you scroll through the settings.
    To me this was a NO BRAINER it had to exist.... then as I dug around and am now pretty much comfortable with it - .... umm, man it simply does not look to exist.

This is one or two of those items I "assumed" and would not trade this device for the world and only can pray they add these 2 features. If any GPS review is done this will scold it 911...... Luckily this device has so much other power this hides it but likely not for long.
    To me this was a NO BRAINER it had to exist.... then as I dug around and am now pretty much comfortable with it - .... umm, man it simply does not look to exist.

This is one or two of those items I "assumed" and would not trade this device for the world and only can pray they add these 2 features. If any GPS review is done this will scold it 911...... Luckily this device has so much other power this hides it but likely not for long.

I just got off the phone with tech support and the mph is not an option. He said I was the first person to ever ask about that option which is hard to believe.

How is your battery life? Mine sucks.....literally.
  • NFW on the first to ask for the Speed or Route list.... just no way. Most of that code and the maps are sourced from another supplier in which those features likely exist but were not added to the Interface.

Again I want to be fair here because many of the players with much stronger GPS apps have taken this path of not adding in video and some of the other apps - so do like the balance with Harmon. HOWEVER - if they are to be reviewed with any other GPS device this will get them pretty well slammmed - so if those features exist in their ported GPS app it will be worthy of them to add.

On the battery I simply can't comment and this is why. I come from a background of CarPC's in my vehicles. This device was my meeting in the middle as I have a vehicle I am not going to rip apart but wanted all of the features the Harmon has. It will have juice all the time so battery was not an issue for me - sorry I can't add. The other device I tested was the MIO 510 (I believe) which did all of the stuff the Harmon did - thinner - but the UI was too small and the apps seemed non-unified which is what the 810 excels at.

Net net - the 810 is what many of us CarPC folks have done for a long time in a stand alone device. We have used better GPS apps but had more access on that front - however more tweaking.

Other things that could be looked at are various volume muting or trimming on things like NAV ANNOUNCEMENTS - with the Audio - Phone - misc.....

KILLER DEVICE - and some of these items I know are small to add if they deem them important. This is running on a CE core so they have plenty of flexibility and perhaps if not some solid hacks may evolve.
    I am with you on the MPH deal. It is hard for me to believe that this is not a feature on such an expensive unit. I tell myself I will find it somewhere buried in a settings screen however their are not a whole lot of options once you scroll through the settings.

I just got off the phone with tech support and the mph is not an option. He said I was the first person to ever ask about that option which is hard to believe.

How is your battery life? Mine sucks.....literally.
  • I agree with ckolibab, i can not understand why there is no speed readings. ALso the GPS list should be there. I have also found out the FM transmiter to be a joke, full of static on any station,unless you move the unit around in the veichle. Then it just fades in & out with static. My van has a cassette unit(don't know why ...2005 van), so I'm gonna try to get a adapter that plugs into the unit and then has a dummy cassette on the other end to see if the direct output works with the car stereo. So far the remote is great, very unique. Has anyone tried the traffic sevice yet ?? Another annoyance that really needs to be fixed is the unit turns on every time you go to charge the battery. Then you gotta wait till it loads before it can be turned off. Why not just have the on/off button do what its supposed too.
  • I hear all of you about some of the issues that must be fixed. i just hope they are because i really love this unit. the remote is such a great design. My 810 sits on the dash and i only have to touch it to enter an address. as far as battery life, i just got mine and kept it on for 3 hours with GPS active and it had one bar left so im not sure how much longer it had, but i was pretty impressed with 3 + hours. I am having problems with the traffic program but need to play with it more. the MP3 is pretty cool, especially seeing i can control it with the remote. love the video capability and plan to use that on plane trips - hope the battery will last at least 2 hours while playing.

the manual is non existent, which is nuts.

Im wondering how to even load the code update or a map update when it comes out? No manual, so no intrstuctions.

all in all i am loving it - especially seeing it was $200 cheaper than the Garmin 760 i was going to buy.
  • The FM transmitter is useless. I talked to a tech about the quality and he said it was a regulation by the FCC. I told him that the FM transmitter on my Sirius Radio is flawless and he said that Sirius and XM went above FCC regulations and ruined the gps market. He also told me that all gps units regardless of brand have about the same quality. I can't comment on other brands, but this one is pretty bad. When I play the audio through using a cassette adapter it sounds really good but I could do without the extra wires.

Is anyone having any positioning issues? I just seem to be about 5 to 7 seconds ahead of where the unit shows my position. I have missed several turns because by the time I hit my intersection on the gps I have already passed it.
  • I share all the problems:
    FM Transmitter very bad compared to Garmin and TomTom which i also have. Phone is a disaster.
    I have also problems with Power On. I needed to reset the unit 3-4 times in a week.
    We need a firmware upgrage ASAP.
    Very nice night screen, very good POI database compared to TomTom and Garmin.
  • Is anyone having trouble with their POI's? I notice that some of POI's list the address and phone numbers and others list nothing. It seems as if the one's that list nothing are always off on the map. I had a couple today that were WAY off.

Another thing I noticed today, some of the routes are wack and the maps are incorrect. I was on a 4 lane highway today that is about 5 years old and it is not on the map. My position was located in the middle of a field. Another route today took me through a neighborhood that is about 1 year old. The problem was that it took me to 3 dead ends and one road it wanted me to take did not exist.

Has anyone cursed out the lady giving the directions yet? I called her a few bad names today.
  • The gps 810 does have a GPS ROUTE LIST. After you have entered in your destination and clicked go, let it calculate your route and then click menu, route options, View turn-by-turn and their it is. I assume this is what you mean when you say gps route list. I have no idea why it doesn't show speed. this is the first gps i have had that hasn't done this.

I must agree with everyone else, this is a great unit with a few bugs that are quite annoying. my most recent problem is when i put the device in standby or turn it off, i can't turn it on unless I reset it. anybody know of a fix or had similar problems. we need to keep this forum live and going so we don't get stuck with a great device that doesn't work as well as it could. in the firmware release, they need to give the user more freedom as far as being able to change things up, something similar to what a regedit program does for computers and pdas.
    All - great posts... I did a ton of web homework and bought a device or two as well but really wanted something with the flow and unification of GPS - VIDEO - MP3.... Now I know some of the players have just focused on one or the other so this is a give and take thing.

The Harman is about as close to perfect if they can update some items and have had some of the issues posted here like everyone, but one major feature I simply could not with my eyes believe was missing from a GPS device.... actually 1.5.

GPS ROUTE LIST??????? --- a simple snapshot of the list of turns the route has selected???? It blows me away that this does not exist or I am so stupid I can't find the way to display it???

If someone here has the ear of Harmon could they please beg on my behalf for this? The Route List is crucial in any GPS because often what it allows you to do is sanitize where the device intends to take you. Heck I've seen myself accidentally enter the wrong address / city - for a similar location and needed to verify my mistake in the Route List.

Now I suspect a good bit of this code is ported from another Dev for the 810 but would love them to know this is a CRITICAL NEED.

Am I just missing this?

• The gps 810 does have a GPS ROUTE LIST. After you have entered in your destination and clicked go, let it calculate your route and then click menu, route options, View turn-by-turn and their it is. I assume this is what you mean when you say gps route list. I have no idea why it doesn't show speed. this is the first gps i have had that hasn't done this.

I must agree with everyone else, this is a great unit with a few bugs that are quite annoying. my most recent problem is when i put the device in standby or turn it off, i can't turn it on unless I reset it. anybody know of a fix or had similar problems. we need to keep this forum live and going so we don't get stuck with a great device that doesn't work as well as it could. in the firmware release, they need to give the user more freedom as far as being able to change things up, something similar to what a regedit program does for computers and pdas.
    All - great posts... I did a ton of web homework and bought a device or two as well but really wanted something with the flow and unification of GPS - VIDEO - MP3.... Now I know some of the players have just focused on one or the other so this is a give and take thing.

Am I just missing this?

I have had the same problem with having to reset the unit. I have had to do this several times. One time I was trying out the demo music and it would not quit replaying the song. I would turn it on and off and it continuted playing and would not let me go back into the music screen. I am in the process of sending mine back for a replacement due to the battery only lasting 30 minutes. I am having some problems getting my phone calls and emails returned.
  • hk810 0 Points
    New to the forum. Just got my 810 and I am a little iffy so far. I like the build and set up of the unit, however, mine seems to have a mind of its own. While driving it will start playing one of the demo videos. I can't get it to stop. Any suggestions?
  • Hi Guys,

I'm glad to know that there are others out there who have purchased the 810.. I was starting to think that I was the only one..

Regarding the issues, I've been experiencing the same problems since I purchased the unit at the end of December. I actually returned my first 810 for a new one because I thought it was just a lemon.

I've experienced:

1. At times, the unit will not power on / wake up after it's been charging. The power button is unresponsive. In order to get it to operate, the reset button needs to be pressed.

2. The BlueTooth connectivity is quirky. Sometimes it recognizes my Motorola Razr, other times it does not.. I'm also having the same issues mentioned above with the address book - contacts displaying as numbers and not text.

3. When connected via Bluetooth and I receive a text message, the 810 flashes "incoming call" on it's display.

4. Once when placing a call, I became stuck in the "phone" menu. The "source" button was not displayed in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I tried moving in and out of the different phone functions (manage connections, disconnect phone, etc). While the "back" button was visible, it only took me back to the phone function menu. Powering the unit on/off did not help. I wound up pressing the reset button to get back to the main menu.

5. Loading music onto the unit has proved to be quite an experience. I am accoustomed to using iTunes and an iPod which couldnt be easier. In order to load music onto the 810, I believe it is necessary to sync using Windows Media Player. (I've tried dragging and dropping files onto the memory card, however the unit never seems to recognize them..) If anyone has an y suggestions, let me know...

6. Once music finally has been loaded (via Windows Media sync), and I think all is well, I run into issues after the unit has been on standby. I'll go to the music menu, and it will say "empty". A power on/off will not help. I have to remove and re-insert the memory card in order to resolve the issue.

I've emailed HK and asked them if they are planning on publishing a manual and posting firmware/software updates. I was told that both were in the works.

I hope that HK gets the updates out soon.. I'd like to keep the unit, but if I'm up against the 30 day return policy, I may have to take it back...

I also agree that some additional GPS functionality would be helpful (MPH), although it's not a deal breaker for me..

I would love it if were possible to turn off the annoying menu "clicks". If you have the volume of your radio up and you're trying to choose a song/playlist, it can be very distracting/annoying.
  • infama 0 Points
    Could some one here elaborate on what is so great about this unit?

All I see are a litany of complaints.

I use a TomTom 920 with a bluetooth remote and I cant work out any real advantage that the HK810 has.
  • hk810 0 Points
    In my opinion, the only great thing about this unit is the screen. I bought this unit because of the video player, FM Transmitter, and Bluetooth. I really like the video player, it seems to work very well, however, the FM Transmitter and Bluetooth are worthless.

The POI's are pretty bad too. I have noticed the some POI's do not list the address. These have consistently been the ones that are way off. I was looking for a POI today and it was almost 2.5 miles off.

I have had to reset the unit on a daily basis for something or the other.
    I thought that I had a defective unit but from reading these posts its apparent that there is a larger problem.

I will be returning mine for a garmin or Tomtom.
  • infama 0 Points
    In my opinion, the only great thing about this unit is the screen. I bought this unit because of the video player, FM Transmitter, and Bluetooth. I really like the video player, it seems to work very well, however, the FM Transmitter and Bluetooth are worthless.

The POI's are pretty bad too. I have noticed the some POI's do not list the address. These have consistently been the ones that are way off. I was looking for a POI today and it was almost 2.5 miles off.

I have had to reset the unit on a daily basis for something or the other.
    I thought that I had a defective unit but from reading these posts its apparent that there is a larger problem.

I will be returning mine for a garmin or Tomtom.
    If you just want a great screen the HP with the hi res screen (and superfast processor) would seem the better choice.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    I agree with Infama. . . the HP is actually a nice unit.
  • I emailed HK and actually got a quick reply. See below: :evil:

Hi Stefan, Good afternoon and thank you for your inquiry. The manual should beavailable in a couple weeks or so. The same also applies to thefirmware updates which will address all the issues you listed below.Once the update is released, you can download it fromwww.guideandplay.com. I hope this helps. Best Regards, Vu Le Internet Support SpecialistHarman Consumer GroupNorthridge, CA

When will a manual be coming out? And when will all the little bugs beworked out? For example:1) Bluetooth is not stable. It will not always connect to the phone andthe only way to get connectivity back, is to reset the unit.2) SD card is at times not found, even though the unit is playing musicfrom it. So if you try to access you card, the unit can't find thecard, and the only thing that works, is to remove and reinsert the SDcard.3) GPS unit can not find a signal at times. I look forward to a speedy response. Regards,
  • i originally purchased the 810 from bestbuy. i had problems with it so i called tech support at HK to see what they had to say. I could'nt return it to bestbuy without them hitting me with a restocking fee. HK said the problems I was having were unusual, and asked me to send the product back to them, and they would send me a new one which they did. I got the second one on thursday, let it charge over night, and tested it out on Friday. Same exact problems!! the problems i am encountering: 1)battery life is 1 hour max, this is just playing music, not navigating. 2) 810 will only recognize my sd card once. it will play music and video fine the first time and then it says that the media failed to load each subsequent time. 3) after i put the 810 in standby i can't turn in back on unless i plug it in to charge, reset and then hit the power button. the list goes on with a few more annoyances, but these are the main ones. anyway, i call HK again on friday after finding out that my 2nd 810 has the same problems. I talk with tech support and he says that he has an 810 and has no similar problems. he states that it is coincidence that i have had two 810 with identical problems, and would be happy to send me another one. i don't know what my other choices are so i shipped the 2nd one back and am awaiting the arrival of a 3rd 810.

some of the support agents say all the problems i have listed are addressed in the firmware upgrade that is due out anytime now. we will see. my advice to anyone thinking about buying is to wait until the upgrade and then decide. I think this is a great device if all the advertised functions worked properly. as of now it's a piece of junk.
  • yl104 0 Points
    i originally purchased the 810 from bestbuy. i had problems with it so i called tech support at HK to see what they had to say. I could'nt return it to bestbuy without them hitting me with a restocking fee...

If I understand correctly, they can only charge you restocking fee if the device is problem-free but you decided you don't want it. It appears your device was defective so there shouldn't be a restocking fee. If they do, I'll take my business somewhere else next time.
  • Bump for the long awaited firmware update etc...

:?
  • hk810 0 Points
    I emailed support again regarding the firmware update and below is the answer I received:

"Good afternoon. Just a follow up...The update was completed, but we
    found some bugs that we felt should not go out to our customers. So we
    are currently working to fix these little issues. We'd rather be late
    than bad. Please hang in there a little bit longer. I've been told
    that we should have it posted in the next week or so. This is not a
    promise. I am just passing on what I've been told. :
  • I emailed support again regarding the firmware update and below is the answer I received:

"Good afternoon. Just a follow up...The update was completed, but we
    found some bugs that we felt should not go out to our customers. So we
    are currently working to fix these little issues. We'd rather be late
    than bad. Please hang in there a little bit longer. I've been told
    that we should have it posted in the next week or so. This is not a
    promise. I am just passing on what I've been told. :
    Good news! Thanks for getting in contact with them.
  • hk810 0 Points
    I returned my HK 810 and replaced it with a Garmin Nuvi 660. This is what I have noticed:

-HK acquires satellites much quicker than the Garmin. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 minutes for the Garmin to acquire. Also, the Garmin has a goofy antenna flap that must be flipped up.

-HK maps are much better. I live on a street that is approximately 5 years old and it is not on the Garmin. The HK seemed to be much more updated than the Garmin.

-HK has many more POI's than the Garmin. My Garmin seems pretty limited compared to the HK.

-Garmin does provide trip info that the HK does not such as current MPH, average MPH, miles traveled,etc. Pretty nice feature.

All in all I wish I had kept the HK 810. It has several issues to overcome but I think in the long run it has a chance to be one the of the best gps units.
  • HK

Maybe you should have gone for the HP 310. More similar to the HK810 and with less issues.
  • Thank the Lord this forum exists. I too was upset they didn't release the full manual for the 810. I really like to read in depth about the features my products have.

Otherwise, no complaints! It gets me everywhere I need to go whenever.

I am curious as to what will be included in this firmware update... will it include updated maps as well? I can't drive over the 35 W bridge in Minneapolis if it doesn't exist right now... anyone know?
  • Kklick - I tried the trip where I used both the GPS 810 and my wife's Garmin c550. I did this for two reasons - (1) because Avis and Budget rent the c550 and I bought it because it performed well, and (2) I wanted to see if the HK could compete. Results are that the HK responded better in EVERY case for a roundtrip drive from Dallas, TX to Dayton, OH.

I have more recently been playing with the Bluetooth and have figured out that whatever group and class of Bluetooth HK decided to use, it is not the most robust. There are many classes and groups and they chose a limited few. My daughter's Sony W580i synced in seconds with full capability (not the numbers for names issue you had). I took it into the ATT store and found that every LG phone syncs fine, a few Samsungs did, and fewer Nokias and Blackberrys did. If I were enterprising enough, I would check the spec sheets on all of these phones and see exactly which class and groups of Bluetooth were built into the HK. I'm not. Hoping HK decides to update this portion of the software as well. Garmin has many of the same issues - only certain phones sync. Garmin has a web site where you can check compatibility, but they have not updated it in, well, a year or more.

Curious if your mapping has improved or not.
  • I am seriously contemplating getting this unit. I play with one recently, and was quite impressed. I'm glad to hear others like it.
  • We still need that updated firmware.. :(

Also I recently got a iphone running firmware 1.1.3 and it does sync up with the 810. But all the names of my contacts are jumbled up numbers with the contacts phone number below.

Is this something that will also be addressed in the new firmware for the 810?

TIA
  • right now I'm glad I stuck it out with the 810. i returned the first two that i bought to HK and other than the inconvienence of not having the gps for a few weeks, the return process went well. I've now had the third 810 for a week and it has worked as advertised. IMO it's the best out there amongst comparables, as long as it's working. firmware upgrade would be nice along with a users manual specific for the 810.
  • right now I'm glad I stuck it out with the 810. i returned the first two that i bought to HK and other than the inconvienence of not having the gps for a few weeks, the return process went well. I've now had the third 810 for a week and it has worked as advertised. IMO it's the best out there amongst comparables, as long as it's working. firmware upgrade would be nice along with a users manual specific for the 810.
    What makes you say its the best out there?
  • i should have clarified a bit, its the best for the money. there are a few micro pcs out there with gps built in that have more functionality but they are around $1000-1500 and much more bulky and cumbersome than the 810. the 810 has traffic, handsfree bluetooth connectivity, video, music, text to speech, large POI database, fm transmitter, large screen, user friendly, quick startup, wireless remote, and good mounting system. there might be a few other things i didn't mention, anyway I couldn't find another gps in a comparable price range that had all these features. not to say there isn't one out there, I just couldn't find one. it's not complete though, i am still looking for one that will be able to use the data service from my phone while connected via bluetooth and give me the latest info on POI's and such, somewhat like the dash. that's probably asking too much, the 810 came the closest.
  • Michuru 0 Points
    I don't think this has been posted because from checking Harman/Kardon's wesbite over the last few days I haven't seen it until today.

The full user manual is now posted and can be viewed here:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/CAR/Owner's Manual/HKGPS-810UserManual_020608a.pdf
  • hk810 0 Points
    after trying a garmin and a tomtom this is by far a superior unit. I had a few problems at first but this thing is unbelievable. I can't wait for the firmware upgrade. If you are in the market, give the 810 a try. Incredible.
  • infama 0 Points
    Please explain why you say so!
  • infama 0 Points
    i should have clarified a bit, its the best for the money. there are a few micro pcs out there with gps built in that have more functionality but they are around $1000-1500 and much more bulky and cumbersome than the 810. the 810 has traffic, handsfree bluetooth connectivity, video, music, text to speech, large POI database, fm transmitter, large screen, user friendly, quick startup, wireless remote, and good mounting system. there might be a few other things i didn't mention, anyway I couldn't find another gps in a comparable price range that had all these features. not to say there isn't one out there, I just couldn't find one. it's not complete though, i am still looking for one that will be able to use the data service from my phone while connected via bluetooth and give me the latest info on POI's and such, somewhat like the dash. that's probably asking too much, the 810 came the closest.
    I got all of this except the good mount (which I did not want anyway, as I use a vent mount for $15) in the TT 920 for $399 in December! I also have the wireless phone option for Traffic and other plus services, not to mention mapshare and free maps!