The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Which Nuvi 2595LMT or 2495LMT or 3490LMT

I'm 'upgrading' my GPS unit and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the three listed. Seems like the basic difference between the 2595 and 2495 is the unit dimensions, 5.4w vs 4.8w and both use the Guidance 2.0 navigation engine. The major differences between those two models and the 3490 are the display resolution, 3490 is 800X400 and the other two is 480X272 and the Guidance navigation engine, the 2495 and 2595 series both use the 2.0 engine and the 3490 now uses the 3.0 navigation engine. Pretty much all three units share the majority of features, so the question I'm posing, is it worth it to spend the additional money for the 'latest and greatest' navigation engine and the higher display resolution? I'm wondering if Garmin is going to abandon the 2.0 guidance and put all future efforts into the 3.0 navigation engine. Thoughts, opinions, pros/cons???????
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comments

• Once you've seen and used the beautiful 800X400 screen it's hard to use anything else. The screen alone would tip the scale in favor of the 3490 for me.
  • I'm coming from a 255W that I gave to my son, he's in college and drives every now and then.

I'm going w/ the 2555LMT.

- my wife wants the larger screen 5" (typing, etc), that's not available in the 34xx series.

- would like the better resolution, but I'm not watching blu-ray's (and I'm coming from a 255W)

- I don't need a razor thin device, that's another advantage of the 3490LMT

I was initially going to get the 2595, but looked at some options and don't think I need them. I imagine we'll have this for 1-2-3 years and hand it down to another son or the old (getting older) 255W will die before too much longer.

I just ordered mine today, looks like it will be here in the next week to 10 days (probably the shipping option I chose).
  • I am deciding between the 3490lmt and 2595lmt as well. If others have any additional input it would be greatly appreciated!
  • I bought the 2595lmt and like it a lot. Really
    fast calculating and the 5" screen is a big plus!!
  • I agree with all the comments so far about why the 2595 at this point seems to be a better deal.
    I am trying to find out realistcally what the differences are between the guidance 2.0 and guidance 3.0 are.
    Perhaps that makes would make it tilt towards the 3XXX series.
  • Zenartelo, I was on the fence for the same reason, guigance 2.0 vs 3.0. My thought was that Garmin has used 2.0 for such a long time that hopefully they have worked the bugs out, I'm always concerned with being the new kid on the block trying out the new feature. So I've kind of committed my self to the 2595 with 2.0 instead of treading on virgin soil. but i haven't bought the 2595 yet.
  • Zenartelo, I was on the fence for the same reason, guigance 2.0 vs 3.0. My thought was that Garmin has used 2.0 for such a long time that hopefully they have worked the bugs out, I'm always concerned with being the new kid on the block trying out the new feature. So I've kind of committed my self to the 2595 with 2.0 instead of treading on virgin soil. but i haven't bought the 2595 yet.

Ditto
    That is why I got my 2595 and not any of the other new models.
    Guidance 2.0 with no bugs is worth it and I saved $150 instead of bying the 3490LMT with 3.0.
  • See also this thread for quick comparisons of five models and a long ongoing review of the 2595LMT.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/24432/x/p1/

If you are a h*cker then see this thread.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165575/#165575

So papanimmer jump the fense and get your 2595LMT with 2.0.
    You heart and mind is telling you "yes, GET IT"
  • I had a 1490LMT stolen from me in June 2010.
    I finally jumped on the chance to get it replaced on a Black Friday deal from GPSCITY. I received it and I just felt kind of "blah" about the GPS ... I felt for a few bucks more, I can talk to the GPS and get it to do more, hands free. I received the 2595LMT on Friday. What a leap forward. I love it! Only having one issue - my iPhone4 won't auto-connect via Bluetooth to the GPS. I have to force connection in the phone's BT menu.

I opted to stay away from the 3xxx series as the price point was a little too high for what it was.
  • I had a 1490LMT stolen from me in June 2010.
    I finally jumped on the chance to get it replaced on a Black Friday deal from GPSCITY. I received it and I just felt kind of "blah" about the GPS ... I felt for a few bucks more, I can talk to the GPS and get it to do more, hands free. I received the 2595LMT on Friday. What a leap forward. I love it! Only having one issue - my iPhone4 won't auto-connect via Bluetooth to the GPS. I have to force connection in the phone's BT menu.

I opted to stay away from the 3xxx series as the price point was a little too high for what it was.
    Great to hear about your good decision. We will be listening what you thing as time goes on?
    Have you hooked up to the USB cable and computer to see if you have any updates?
    What is your firmware # and Map version?
  • edited December 2011

Great to hear about your good decision. We will be listening what you thing as time goes on?
    Have you hooked up to the USB cable and computer to see if you have any updates?
    What is your firmware # and Map version?
    I hooked it up to my Mac as soon as I got my grubby hands on the GPS after Fedex delivered it.

It came with 2012.20 Maps but I updated it to 2012.30.

As for the S/W revision and BT revision, I will have to get back to you -- the GPS is tucked away in the car in my parking garage for the night.
    I do know that it didn't have the most recent, and after I ran the Webupdater, it now does have it.

I am having an issue with the iPhone 4 and the 2595 autoconnect upon power up. I have to manually go into the phone's BT menu and force connection. I've already emailed Garmin support just now about that.

Also having an issue with the ecoRouteHD as well. Worked 3 times now won't connect back. Haven't had a chance to reset it yet ... will try tomorrow.
  • gonna add my 2 cents here:

I think that Guidance 2.0 and 3.0 is just a gimmick that's a Garmin trademark. Sort of like Sharp Aquos Televisions with Quattron. Because adding a "Yellow' colour is proper <sarcasm> .... just a gimmick.
  • gonna add my 2 cents here:

I think that Guidance 2.0 and 3.0 is just a gimmick that's a Garmin trademark. Sort of like Sharp Aquos Televisions with Quattron. Because adding a "Yellow' colour is proper <sarcasm> .... just a gimmick.
    They make it sound like it is a faster processor like a quad processor. All I think it is, is a chip that can do more but it seems it may have some issues. I'm glad I stuck with 2.0 for now. Maybe in a year and things show some improvement I may consider it. But for now I'm really glad I got the 2595LMT.

Have a great day! I plan to have one. :lol: