This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Ebay & Garmin

If i buy a new Nuvi from a dealer on Ebay will Garmin honor all 'guarantees' if i register the unit with Garmin when I receive the unit? Other than the risks of buying from Ebay, what issues might i incur from Garmin?

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Here is what Garmin says:
    Q: Does the unit I purchased on eBay have a warranty?
    A: Products that are purchased from online auctions such as eBay are not covered by warranty. A copy of the original sales receipt from the original retailer is required for warranty service. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.
    Q: Does Garmin have authorized dealers selling on eBay?
    A:Garmin does not have any authorized dealers that sell new products directly on online auction sites. Any purchases made through online auction sites are on a "buyer beware" basis. A copy of the original sales receipt is required as proof of purchase for warranty repairs. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification and Garmin will not replace any missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.

There is always the possibility that products purchased through eBay or other online auction sites could be stolen merchandise. You assume this risk when you buy through these auction sites.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Update: thanks to Alanb for noticing that Garmin is now offering some of their products for sale on eBay.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={eeace630-834a-11dd-e87e-000000000000}
    Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I purchase Garmin products from Ebay?

03/08/2012

Garmin does offer a limited number of products for sale on the Garmin eBay store with a Buy It Now option. The full Garmin warranty is provided on these products.

Other online auctions of Garmin products on eBay do not offer these same benefits. Products sold through online auctions are not eligible for rebates or other special offers from Garmin. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification. To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    For your information Garmin does honor warranty on some purchases made on Ebay.

beachcamera.com is an authorized Garmin dealer, they are located in New Jersey, and they are on Garmins authorized online retailer list.
    http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/online/online?dealer_type=Consumer&SUBMIT=Show+Dealers

Recently they had some pretty good sales on ebay, buyers state they received an invoice with no mention of it being an ebay purchase.
    There is no bidding, just buy it now, their ad indicates it has Garmin Warranty. Scroll down to bottom of listing under FAQ's to verify.

Here are their current listings, no great bargains I can see but about a month ago they had a brand new 2450LM for 109.00 & free shipping.

link removed by moderator
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Still, given Garmin's current wording, I wouldn't risk it if I wanted the warranty. Despite what the seller says the warranty status is ultimately up to Garmin, not the seller.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Tim,
    They are not a fly by night ebay seller, they have a brick and mortar store in Edison New Jersey and they've been around a long time.

I've bought from them in the past (accesories) and got good service.
    If I needed a new GPS and the price was right, I would buy one from them.

If unsure of the purchase on ebay, just call Garmin and see what they say about the warranty.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Again, it isn't up to the seller and their reputation, Garmin decides the warranty status. I don't need to call Garmin, their policy is clearly written.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    You know, it's funny. I went to Beach Camera in person myself about 10 years ago and bought an expensive pro camcorder. It was just a little store in a small strip mall along a busy highway in North Jersey. There were a bunch of boxes piled up all around the place waiting to be shipped out.

The price on the camcorder was good, but they tried a high pressure sales pitch for a bunch of accessories that I didn't need. No idea what might be different now, but they were certainly a "real" business then. But not quite what I expected based on the big ads they run in photo and video magazines. :)

Do you have some affiliation with them willyboy?
  • willyboy 68 Points
    Boyd,
    I'm surprised to hear your description of their store 10 years ago, had I observed that in a store today I doubt I would buy anything there.

But I figured if Garmin saw fit to recognize them as an authorized dealer a purchase from them would be safe. As mentioned I was satisified with their service with my purchases. And NO I am not affiliated with them just stating my personal experience.