Icons on 13xx and 14xx Series

Some better news at last for those with 13xx and 14xx nuvis about problem with them only displaying favorite icons as black squares. I have just received this latest update from Garmin:

We do apologize for the delay in getting this issue resolved. An engineering ticket was originally created in early April. We have recently been informed that a software update that will fix this is imminent. Although they’ve indicated that it’s in the testing stage and should be released within the next few weeks, we have not been given an exact release date or ETA for it.

Barring any unforeseen delays or complications, you and the rest of the users with these affected models should have a fix shortly.

I am sorry that I do not have a specific date for the release, but I have been assured that it will be sooner rather than later.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know. Thank you.

Joshua Kennedy

Automotive Helpdesk
OCC - Automotive 1st Shift – Associate #6127
1-800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax)

Comments

• jonnop 41 Points
    That's good news. Now if they can give us the facility to NOT display icons that appeared at the same time as our favourites disappeared then that will be excellent!
  • Yes, that is good news . I sure hope this is the fix for the geocache icons too. Thanks for the update.
  • Maybe now they can spend some time on getting my 1490T to use the motorways more often !

BOB
  • t923347 208 Points
    See Firmware Update Sticky - firmware version 5.70 has been released and it is reported that it fixes the Favorites "Black Square" problem.
  • sussamb 220 Points
    Thanks Rick, I'll try it later! :D
  • jonnop 41 Points
    What happened to 5.50 and 5.60?

I will update my 1490 later today.
  • sussamb 220 Points
    5.50 was apparently rolled out with some newer 13xx and 14xx series nuvis, maybe 5.60 was also.

Anyway 5.70 is a useful upgrade! I used my 1490 for my normal commute to work, about 30 minutes or so.

The icons for favourites now work perfectly and there are a couple of undocumented features.

For those concerned about detail ... if Map detail is set to Most all cross street names display at the 300 feet level or below.

Autozoom works even better now. Previously you couldn't zoom below 200 feet while navigating, only in browse mode. Now I'm able to set my lower zoom level at 200 or 300 feet (didn't try any higher ones) and autozoom simple drops it one step as you approach junctions. Advantage of this is if you do as I do and set lower zoom level to 200 feet it toggles between 120 and 200 feet at anything below about 60 mph (100 kph) so not only do your favourites show up but also the POIs. I haven't yet been able to confirm if this setting 'sticks' or whether it has to be set on every trip, I'll do that on the way home tonight.

Overall a useful update ... shame Garmin took so long to introduce it, and funnily enough only a week or so after I had complained to one of their VPs :roll: :wink:
  • t923347 208 Points
    Garmin often has firmware updates that go on newly manufactured or factory refurbs and never make it to the general public. That is probably what happened to 5.50 and 5.60.
  • Thank You sussamb for keeping us updated on this upgrade. I just downloaded 5.70 to my 1350 and now my gpx files showup on the map as a bold geocache treasure chest. Just what I wanted .

Thanks again
  • Jeeps 0 Points
    the Garmin 40 series is doing the same thing. Only black squares for POI's (With all of the current updates loaded).

Hopefully the email I sent Garmin Support will be addressed before I give the unit as a Christmas present. Seeing how everyone's 1350 /1450 units were fixed with an update hope the 40's fixed as well.

Long live the 765 :D no bugs.
  • sussamb 220 Points
    Might have a long wait though ... took them 6 months for the 13xx/14xx series :cry:
  • Glad they finally fixed this!