sd card recognition on 1450

I installed 2012.3 maps on a SD card how do I get the garmin 1450 to SEE the card

Comments

• Boyd 1311 Points
    Card must be formatted as FAT32. There should be a directory named Map at the root of the card and the map file should be inside.

That's all that is necessary, there are no settings on the unit that affect the card.
  • Hi Boyd.. I have enjoyed your post before { garmin 5000 still have it on my Harley } The card was formated Fat32 { default } and the map shows up on the card. Map info in the gps has CN north amercia NT 2112.20 checked unchecked it does not work so if it is checked how do I know it is reading the SD card and not the old maps installed in the GPS This is the first time I have installed a mapupdate on a card. Memory on the GPS was down to 31.4 MB Thanks for you help
  • sussamb 179 Points
    If you're not seeing the 2012.30 map listed under Map Info and the old map is showing then something has gone wrong with the install.

How did you install the maps on the card and where did they come from?
  • lifetime map update Garmin web updater to computer to sd card
    Thanks
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Garmin webupdater has nothing to do with installing maps, it installs updates to software.

What program did you use to send the maps from your PC to your nuvi?
  • microSDHC card went into adapter that went into computer maps installed
    while in computer then put into 1450 sorry I am not that computer savy I stumble my way through so its hard for me to make it happen Thanks for trying to help
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Well if it's not showing up then something has either gone wrong with the install or the way you've installed it onto your card. You might want to look at this thread:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/164560/#164560

for some further ideas. Regrettably Garmin doesn't really simplify the process, so any attempt to download maps onto SD card is full of pitfalls, and one fall is enough to screw the process :cry:
  • Its a challenge now. I will keep trying until I brick it then get another but will learn along the way. GPSes should have enough memory for future map updates or why have lifetime map up dates Thanks for all the help
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    With the card inserted in the reader connected to your computer, what files and folders do you see? Is there a folder named Map? If so, what file(s) are inside it?
  • Hi Boyd A folder named BaseCAMP in there is 16 small folders with two letter headings a BaseCAMP three google one license and two others.Also a folder card test tmp that cannot be opened That help
    Thanks
  • t923347 203 Points
    I have no idea what you've done but you don't need a folder called BaseCamp on the SD card. The map files need to be in a folder called Map.
  • Ok I will try deleteing the info and try again
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Yes, something is definitely wrong. If I were you I'd start over. Reformat the card, ensuring you do so as FAT32. Put the card in the nuvi and connect it to your PC. Run Basecamp and check that both the nuvi and the card are showing in the pane on the left hand side.

Right click on the folder that says All Data for the card and click on Map Install. The Map Install wizard will launch, follow the instructions in that.
  • I am have reformated the card FAT32 GARMIN INSTALL READING AND BLINKING 0% complete still working on it
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Have you put the card back in your nuvi? Have you run Basecamp? Does both the nuvi AND the card show as drives in Basecamp?
  • Yes I did not know I realy had to highlight in pink the areas I wanted to put on the card? It is down loading now stand by

Thanks
  • building map set now
  • sussamb 179 Points
    THAT sounds right ... good luck, glad it appears sorted :D
  • Thanks for your help I will let you know it works out after a test drive
  • CN NORTH AMERCIA NT 2012.30 now checked :D :D
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Whoopee!! :lol:
  • test drive great and firmware update good to go :lol: :lol:
  • I am now down loading 2012.3 on my Garmin 5000 highlighting pink on the maps is a pain some of the areas are quite small and easy to miss any way to do all of north america in one click
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Yes. just zoom out so you can see whole of map, click top left, press and hold shift then drag down to bottom right, that should select the lot :wink: