Updating maps killed my new Nuvi 2475LT TWO TIMES !
  • Bought a new 2475LT (transatlantic) three weeks ago, after recieving it I updated the firmware, installed the latest USA map - worked ok. Installed the Europe map and that killed my Nuvi. sent it back to garmin, got a new replacement unit, did the same thing and AGAIN it killed the 2475 ! Now I have shipped that unit back again ! The europe maps deletes the USA map AND the nuvi at startup says that it cant confirm the map validation. I am a It-support person at my work so I know my computers and I did the last update on a different computer. Surely this must be some kind of bug ! Does anyone have a comment or suggestion ?

Kind regards

Peter / Sweden
  • t923347
    Don't do a Europe map update. Just joking.😃

I'm wondering why, if you dealt with Garmin twice now to get replacements, why you haven't asked them how to update both sets of maps without "killing" your 2475LT?
  • popej

The europe maps deletes the USA map AND the nuvi at startup says that it cant confirm the map validation.

Is this the whole problem? Why do you say that nuvi was killed?

There is small file *.gma in /.System directory that is responsible for map validation. It is created when downloading maps. You can download again and restore it. If there is a conflict between gma from both maps, you can simply rename one of this files.
  • Ok ! Mayby "killed" was over the top :roll:
    I spent mayby 7-9 hours downloading and installing maps again and again without any luck. (used both the Lifetime update and the Numaps guarantee and the lifetime updater and the other not recommended variant) ) Impossible to reinstall both maps and could not get past the "unable to validate maps" thing. And I really want a unit that works without any problem. My old 1370T (transatlantic) have never had any problem like this and when I go to the US the next time I want it to work perfect. I would hate to be sitting on a road in Oregon without a fully working unit and without a chance of fixing it without my PC back in Sweden. Mayby when I get it back from garmin I should try to install the new maps on the SD-card instead and use those ( I have just bought a new 16 Gb really fast SD-minicard but not yet put it in the Nuvi) ). Do you know if the unit works with the same speed using the SD-card instead of using the built in memory ? And will it allways choose the latest map from the Sd-card instead of the older maps on the built in memory ?

Thank you / Peter
  • popej
    When you update map, you get following files:
    \.System\gmapprom.img - main map, big file
    \.System\*.gma - file for validation
    \.System\*.unl - file for unlocking map

and then some additional files in directories
    \.System\JCV
    \.System\ASR
    \.System\SID
    \.System\SQLite

For your second map, you should get similar files, except main map, which should be \.System\gmapprom1.img. There should be no name conflicts, but I think double maps update is quite new thing, maybe still buggy.

To solve your problem I suggest to make a backup before each update, check which files were overwritten and then resolve conflicts basing on backup files. Actually this should do Garmin itself, but they evidently have failed.

You can use map on SD, but probably you would have to configure your SD manually. Search forum, there was info how to set up City Navigator on SD.
  • valoisr

Ok ! Mayby "killed" was over the top :roll:
    I spent mayby 7-9 hours downloading and installing maps again and again without any luck. (used both the Lifetime update and the Numaps guarantee and the lifetime updater and the other not recommended variant) ) Impossible to reinstall both maps and could not get past the "unable to validate maps" thing. And I really want a unit that works without any problem. My old 1370T (transatlantic) have never had any problem like this and when I go to the US the next time I want it to work perfect. I would hate to be sitting on a road in Oregon without a fully working unit and without a chance of fixing it without my PC back in Sweden. Mayby when I get it back from garmin I should try to install the new maps on the SD-card instead and use those ( I have just bought a new 16 Gb really fast SD-minicard but not yet put it in the Nuvi) ). Do you know if the unit works with the same speed using the SD-card instead of using the built in memory ? And will it allways choose the latest map from the Sd-card instead of the older maps on the built in memory ?

Thank you / Peter

"... you mentioned that you purchased a 16Mb card ..."
    I only had 137Mb of internal memory left in the main 2475lt unit upon purchasing. I phoned Garmin to ask them what size of SD card I should buy. Garmin have advised to purchase no larger than 8Mb bit recommend the 4Gb. They have had repeat problems from users purchasing the 16Gb card.
  • Thank you !

I solved this problem over a year ago.
    But I am happy that you answered. Better late than sorry.....

Regards / Peter
  • Thank you !

I solved this problem over a year ago.
    But I am happy that you answered. Better late than sorry.....

Regards / Peter

It could be interesting to know what solution you have found. I still couldn't solve it (I've almost resigned to solve it after many e-mails to Garmin support during last 9 months).

After near identical situation as you described my Garmin says that maps are in it, but it displays only maps in very low scale. It just happend after I've uppgraded my cross Atlantic (America and Europe) nuvi2475 using horrible Garmin Express and loaded new maps for Europe. I have used later the Garmin Map Updater 3.2.2 with the same result. No errors, maps are in the list but not displayed... Looks like FW not fits to them. But Garmin Express tells that I've got the latest FW.

Please post your solution, so maybe we can share it with Garmin support.

Regards JS 😞
  • sussamb
    Have you looked in Settings>Map & Vehicle>myMaps to see what's listed and what is selected? Also confirm Map detail is set to 'More'.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!