Nuvi 2595LMT Trip review

iggy 91 Points
Hi All

I just finished a 800 mile trip using my new NUVI 2595LMT.
Here is my review after the trip.

1. Voice command understands every word I say with out shutting down the radio or telling other to be quiet. Amazing and quick to process any request.

2. I love the information available on the next exit. Food, fuel, Rest Area or Lodging. Very helpful when pulling a large 5th wheel.

3. Multi stops on your route. Great and works flawlessly and even if I don't add a the stop in the route Garmin adjusts the route as if I made a mistake without saying a word.

4. The screen has so much information and the Dashboard can be modified to your liking.

5. Also found how to move the menu icons as I want by touching them until they shake the move them where you want them.

5.I didn't use the traffic information becuse I didn't get into any jams in San Diego. I checked one mroning if any delays on my route and it said no. I checked around and did see a note about a rollover.

I also found my CUSTOM POI files and found them very useful.

I also disconnected the power cable to see how long it would run. after almost 4 hours mine was down to 1/2 on the screen. 2 bars out of 4.

Touch screen always worked by a quick touch and like I said earlier this GPS things very fast from screen to screen and ca.culating routes.

Any questions?

Comments

• Tandi 0 Points
    Good morning,

Many thanks for your review :D
    I would like to know if it is possible to make a route in BaseCamp ( or Mapsource ) and then transfer it to the 2595 and then start the route .
    Is there anybody who has experience with that ?
    Did you use it in "portrait " and in "landscape" mode ?
    Thanks and greetings from the Netherlands
  • Nice review , agree with what you say, Have had my 2595lmt for a month now and glad I stepped up from the 760 . It turns on faster and routes faster too........

• 3. Multi stops on your route. Great and works flawlessly and even if I don't add a the stop in the route Garmin adjusts the route as if I made a mistake without saying a word.
    I like that feature too. you can add several waypoints to your existing route. With the 2450 and previous models could only add one waypoint.
    Very nice indeed. Now I just need to figure out how to create a trip in Mapsource/basecamp.
    4. The screen has so much information and the Dashboard can be modified to your liking.
    The dashboard is a good idea and yes for the extra info that can be selected.
    5. Also found how to move the menu icons as I want by touching them until they shake the move them where you want them.
    Thanks for the tip, I didnt know that.
    I also found my CUSTOM POI files and found them very useful.
    This is the only thing I dislike the fact that I cant have the custom POIs on the main menu. It requires extra clicks to get get to it. Its buried too deep imo. I sent a sugestion to Garmin to allow to have it on the main menu.
    On the other side they now display on the map too which is great.

I also love that you still get all the roads and city names displayed on the map while zoomed way out.
    I dislike those little blue bars showing POIs.... I wish they could be turned off but not the custom POI or at least be able to ignore some. I understand the Gas Stations and Restaurants but Banks? I dont need to see that theres a bank nearby... if I need one I can search for it.

Overall pretty good unit. I wish it had the powered mount too.
  • Hi All

3. Multi stops on your route. Great and works flawlessly and even if I don't add a the stop in the route Garmin adjusts the route as if I made a mistake without saying a word.

Any questions?
    Thanks for the review. Much has been said here and on other forums about newer Nuvi's with the Trip Planner routing engine REQUIRING the vehicle to stop at each via point while the Nuvi recalculates to the next via point or it gets confused and acts erratically. Apparently you did not experience this. Can you answer a few questions?

1. What is the firmware version you have?

2. Can you explain what you mean by "Garmin adjusts the route as if I made a mistake without saying a word". Did you create a route in MapSource that had STOPS (as opposed to via points) and if you didn't STOP the Nuvi continued with the route and maybe adjusted stop times, etc.?

3. Have you by chance tried importing a GPX file from something like Streets and Trips? If so did the 2595 generate a route identical to the S&T route and follow it correctly?
  • popej 57 Points
    Have you used "Trip planner" function in your nuvi?
  • iggy 91 Points

Have you used "Trip planner" function in your nuvi?
    No I haven't. I wi;; after I understand its full potential. At this moment I don't usually have a long trip that I need to plan that far in advance.

If someone cou;d tell us what and how they use the trip planner I may get a better idea of its value.
  • If you create a stop and you don't stop isn't the GPS going to try and reroute you back to that stop? After all if you don't plan on stopping the correct thing to use is a waypoint.
    I have finally worked out how to create a route in Basecamp and send it to the GPS. Basically it involves creating the route by the help functions and then dragging it to Nuvi all data folder. It then shows up in the trip planner on the 2595 and probably other nuvi's.
  • To add to the above. There seems to be a limit on the route as I tried a 1000 mile route and the gps display came up with a message to the face it didn't have room for the route and it didn't show up in the trip planner. I will try to find the limit later.
    To create the route in BaseCamp create waypoints you want in the route. Select all waypoints by holding down the control key. Right click one of the points and select 'create route with selected waypoints. The route shows in My Collection. Plug in the NUVI. Drag the route to the NUVI all data file and it uploads to the gps. As I said before it shws up in the Trip Planner.
  • sky81 30 Points
    iggy, thanks for posting this. Did you have another Garmin GPS prior to the 2595, and how does this one compare with the older one? I just got the 2595, and had an 855 (also voice recognition) before. I'm learning what I like better in each model. Maybe on the long trip you found things you like in one unit and not the other.
  • iggy 91 Points
    iggy, thanks for posting this. Did you have another Garmin GPS prior to the 2595, and how does this one compare with the older one? I just got the 2595, and had an 855 (also voice recognition) before. I'm learning what I like better in each model. Maybe on the long trip you found things you like in one unit and not the other.

I previously used a Magellan Maestro 4250 (5 yrs old) which has voice recognition. It was good back in 2007 and was ahead of its time. It was a 4.3" screen and many nice features. It still works great and I continue to use it in my car but it is no where near what the Garmin NUVI 2595 has.
  • It doesnt seem to work with the Nuvi 2555.

I created a route in basecamp with several waypoints (geocaches) and then sent the route to the Unit.

The waypoints show up fine on the favourites but the route is nowhere to be seen.
    Am I missing a step??
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    People report that it can take awhile before the route appears on the new models. Evidently you don't need to go through a step of "importing" the route like older models.
  • There is no import button that I can find so I would think as well no importing needed but I must be missing a step somewhere with basecamp.

I sent the route to the unit in basecamp. It shows up on the ALL DATA folder for the Nuvi in basecamp. All the waypoints show up as well.

I did it this morning and drove to work (a 45 minute drive) and still no route in the Nuvi.
    But all the waypoints are there so the transfer worked its just that the unit doesnt recognize the route created by basecamp.

Is there another step in Basecamp to make it work?

When I get home I will try to create a route by creating two waypoints and not use geocaches as waypoints.
  • I select My Collection and create the route. Then drag that route to the All Data file of the NUVI. A status bar shows up across rhe 2595 data with the progress of the transfer. I will try it later with the 765 and see if it works with it. On the 2595 the route shows up on the Trip Planner.
  • What version of Basecamp do you have?

Keep in mind BaseCamp uses drag and drop and cut/paste technology.
  • t923347 214 Points
    will try it later with the 765 and see if it works with it. On the 2595 the route shows up on the Trip Planner.
    It will show up in My Data on the 765 and once you "import" the route from there it will appear in Routes. No "import" is needed with the 2595.
  • Will the 2595 accept a route from S&T (GPX file) or does the route have to be created in Base Camp?
  • Interesting.... basecamp routes will not show on my 2555 but the route created by Mapsource does... :)

So I guess I know what I will be using to create trips...

Another interesting thing is that all the waypoints that I used to create the route show up in the favourite folder but I found out that even after I deleted all of them, the route still knows about them and calculates the route accordingly with the advantage that they are not showing in the favourites....
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    Have you seen Rich's review of the 2595?

http://gpstracklog.com/2011/10/garmin-nuvi-2595lmt-review.html
    I successfully transferred a multi-destination route from BaseCamp, using City Navigator POIs converted to waypoints.