The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Help Magellan Roadmate 3120-MU failed to update

martsev 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I hava a new roadmate 3120 and i just tried to update the device software. After the update was downloaded it failed to update the device. I get an error that says "A problem occurred and your device was not able to to be updated. Would you like to retry this update or cancel". So my gps is now stuck on a screen that shows a computer, a usb icon and a gps icon. Can't find a reset button. Is there anything I can do to make it work or should i return it?

Comments

• I hava a new roadmate 3120 and i just tried to update the device software. After the update was downloaded it failed to update the device. I get an error that says "A problem occurred and your device was not able to to be updated. Would you like to retry this update or cancel". So my gps is now stuck on a screen that shows a computer, a usb icon and a gps icon. Can't find a reset button. Is there anything I can do to make it work or should i return it?
    I have exactly the same problem. I bought it yesterday and can't use it.
  • dpaul 5 Points
    MINE ALSO FAILED TO UPDATE AND IS FROZEN ON THE SYNC SCREEN KINDA BS NOW THAT I FIND OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE PROB
  • I have the same problem. The Content Mngr bricked my brand new unit. It only shows a computer and GPS screen with a USB cable connection now.

How could they have such a sloppy update program ??

Anybody call the support line yet?
  • The Magellan Content Manager had downloaded the 4.90 update image to the following folder Magellan_RoadMate_3120_4_90_Rel1 prior to bricking the unit.

This folder was located here for me: C:\Users\{your User name}\AppData\Local\Temp\ContentManager\update

I copied that folder to my C:\GPS folder.

Then run setup.exe from that folder.

Prior to starting the update, hold the power off button until the GPS screen goes black and then power up the unit while attached to the computer's USB port. When windows asks about fixing the corrupt Drive let it fix it.

Then start the update, it will find the unit and complete. When the unit is detached from the PC, it will finish the update process (it takes a few reboots).

To get the Magellan Content Manager to realize the version is now 4.90 and let me perform the address book sync, I had to remove the GPS profile and then re-add it. Now I can sync the address book.

Note the 4.90 upgrade package is only 65MB after it is zipped, so it wouldn't be hard to send to someone.

I hope this help someone.
  • The support line is only available on weekdays. Will go to Walmart tomorrow to see if they can replace the unit. I emailed the support line though and here is the reply. If done the steps though before contacting them and after they replied but still the unit does not work.

"Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support. We do apologize for the inconvenience that you have encountered when using one of our products. As I understand, your Roadmate 3120-MU froze on the loading screen after the software update has failed.

For us to better assist you on this concern, kindly verify the following details:

1. What are your computer's specs? E. G. Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit:

2. What type of internet connection do you have? Ex. dial up or cable DSL

3. Did you get any error message during or after the update was installed?

4. What version of the Content Manager is installed on your computer?

5. When does the error message comes up?

6. Have you disabled your computer's firewall and anti-virus?

7. Have you tried to download the software update again?

8. When and where was the unit purchased?

In the mean time, while we are waiting for the answers to these questions, please follow the troubleshooting steps below in order to restore your unit.

1. Charge the unit for four hours.

2. Reset the unit. Kindly slide and hold the power to the off position for 10 seconds.

3. Turn the unit back on and check if it will be able to boot to the main menu screen.

If in case these do not work, kindly download again the software update to your unit but prior to that, uninstall and reinstall the Content Manager (version 2.0 ) on your computer.

http://www.magellangps.com/Content-Manager-Software

In the event that update will not be able to restore the unit, we can replace the unit with the same or similar model and provide you a Return Authorization number for this case. Please email us the following to proceed.

1. Shipping Address (not PO box)

2. Telephone Number

3. Unit's Serial number

I hope that I was able to somehow help you with your concern for today and should you require further assistance with this or with any other unit, please feel free to reply to this message.

Thank you for choosing Magellan and have a great day.

Sincerely yours,

Yvette – AM20465
    Magellan Technical Support
    Email: support.us@cs.magellangps.com
    URL: http://www.magellangps.com/

I'd rather try a replacement than an rma since i did have to wait for several days for the delivery since i got this on walmart.com.
  • The support line is only available on weekdays. Will go to Walmart tomorrow to see if they can replace the unit. I emailed the support line though and here is the reply. If done the steps though before contacting them and after they replied but still the unit does not work.
    martsev,

Did you try the steps I provided to finish the 4.90 update?
    martsev,

Did you try the steps I provided to finish the 4.90 update?
    I did try the steps but did not work. however after seeing your post above i did the steps you mentioned and now its working! :)

Thank you WhatHappened!

• I did try the steps but did not work. however after seeing your post above i did the steps you mentioned and now its working! :)

Thank you WhatHappened!
    You are welcome.

Can you explain why your first attempt failed? Could I be more clear on any of the steps?
  • I really don't know what happened to make the update fail. I was using the most current version of content manager. After CM downloaded the update it went to the installing update screen but the progress bar was not moving at all. Left it to continue on then i get the error message. Then I tried to update date several times and reinstalling CM and also turned off the firewall and antivirus but not successful.

Your steps made it work and took less than 2 minutes to update the gps. Btw to those who have the same problem make sure that your computer is setup to show hidden files and folder so that you may see the folder where the update image is stored at.
  • whathappened...Im having same issue, 3120 stuck with PC-USB-3120 icons. I'm not able to follow your instructions as I can't find the folder you mentioned. I'm running widows XP, I see no c/users and did a search and could not find the magellan_roadmate_3120 folder. Can you help?
  • WhatHappend

Our son gave us the 3120 as a Christmas gift and I had the same problem on updating, but after following your instructions our unit is updated and running again. Thank you so much for your help.
  • YESSSS...I was able to figure it out. software version 4.90 installed. Question though, current map version shows same as latest version-43.08 but I don't believe I updated the maps. How do you update the 1 free map in the future?.
  • i am having the same problem but i cannot find the file. if soneone could zip it and post a link\ send it to me i would be a very happy person. they should really fix this also. thankyou in advance.
  • if xp..try:

C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\ContentManager\update

run setup.exe
  • nope i have win 7 x64 i once i type up to the temp there is nothing that matches the rest of the search dont know where it downloaded it all too lol. a little frustrating but thats ok. if i cant get it fixed i will hopefully be able to take it back and get a new one. thanks for the help so far anyway. oh and merry x-mas all
  • make sure you have hidden files visible. My "local settings" folder could not be seen until see hidden files was checked.

Don't type it in, just check the folders until you find it.
  • can you email me the update for 3120-mu kmwhowell@gmail.com
  • still cant find the update in any of the folders. if someone could zip it and send it to me at rhughes42003@yahoo.com i would be very thankfull to them. merry x-mas and happy new year to all.
  • YESSSS...I was able to figure it out. software version 4.90 installed. Question though, current map version shows same as latest version-43.08 but I don't believe I updated the maps. How do you update the 1 free map in the future?.
    I tried to update the map also but decided maybe an update for the map is not available yet.
  • can't zip for you, but if your 3120 froze on install, meaning you downloaded 4.90 version, then it has to be on your computer somewhere.

I just checked on windows 7 laptop. First, you have to make sure you can see hidden files. In any folder click organize/folder and search options/ view/then click show hidden files. You must do this first.

To find folder that version 4.9 is in start at C/users...then you might have a few options here. Try each one. You need to get to application data/temp/local/content manager/update/magellan. It might be in a different order, or maybe not all of the above...just try all to you find it. I believe it should be in the temp folder though(just realize you probably have more than 1 temp folder...each path you take might lead to one)
  • GREAT! I have been looking all morning for the file. After seeing your post I looked one more time and was able to find the update. Thanks a lot.
  • great..if you have windows 7, post exact path so others can find it as well.
  • actually windows xp:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\ContentManager\update\Magellan_RoadMate_3120_4_90_Rel1
  • I have xp as well and it's the same path except substitute "owner" for administrator(although admin. is also there..lol)
  • Had the same problem on my new Roadmate 5120-LMTX from Costco. Content Manager recognized the GPS, found the update, unzipped the update, then froze at "Installing 0%", leaving the GPS stuck in USB mode with the black screen computer and USB icons.

I terminated the Content Manager, found the downloaded update file and clicked on the setup.exe file to run it. I had to separately run the map update file in the same way.

It worked and thanks for the info!
  • The Unit was stuck with an USB image.

BIG thanls to 'WhatHappen' for the help. your solution works.

Regards !
  • I am glad most everyone got their units working.

For those that are having difficulty finding the temp files, there is no one path everyone can post for you because the folder after c:\users depends on your local user name.

Here is a path that should work for all Windows users (Press start button and paste the following path in the "search for program and files" text box):

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\ContentManager\update\Magellan_RoadMate_3120_4_90_Rel1\setup.exe

The %USERPROFILE% is a special system environment variable that will point to your user data directory.

Happy Holidays!
  • To WhatHappened:Your advise in locating the downloaded 4.90 file is correct. I hope that all the Magellan users who are experiencing the same locked screen problems follow your suggestions. I tried all the power switch on/off sequences-none worked.I even opened the unit to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I do not recommend actually removing the battery although this might work in your smartphone (reboot) etc. I decided not to remove the battery. My first attempt at moving the downloaded file to the 3120 MU failed. I tried again and it worked!
    My 3120MU is now working again and it shows (through Content Manager) the 4.90 software update.Thanks for your great advice and thanks for helping all the GPS review members. Reminder to all:the content manager will only show a map update when it is available for your unit. It will also show a software update when available. 8)
  • Ok so i followed your steps on my 5120LMTX

i thought it was working, but the Magellan Update wizard says the GPS hasn't been updated with 4.91...when the unit is disconnected, it runs through 3 blue install screens, but then displays the same computer/usb/5120 screen...any thoughts?
  • Ok so i followed your steps on my 5120LMTX

i thought it was working, but the Magellan Update wizard says the GPS hasn't been updated with 4.91...when the unit is disconnected, it runs through 3 blue install screens, but then displays the same computer/usb/5120 screen...any thoughts?
    Just try to run the setup.exe again. I think you are the first one with the LM version (Life Time Maps).
  • WhatHappened:

Thank you for your help and advice. Used your information provided and my update finally worked. In previous posts I only became confused. You are a life saver.
  • 12345 0 Points
    I was having the same problem. I found this thread while searching. I opted to wait until I heard from Magellan Tech Support. I had initially gotten the same e-mail that 'martsev' posted above. After I replied to that, here was their guidance (and it worked perfectly as well):
    For the mean time, please try to power cycle your unit. To do this, kindly follow the steps below:

1.Turn on the unit. Try to slide the power switch and hold for 10 seconds

2.After this span of time, let go of the power slide

3.Try again to slide the power switch for 3-5 seconds to turn it on.

If you still encounter the same issue, please try the following steps:

1.Press "Start or Windows Logo in the computer"

2.Click "Run" (for XP) / Use "Search Box" or “Run” (for Windows Vista and 7) and type %temp% (to open temp folder)

3.Look and open “Content Manager Folder" inside the temp

4.Open "Download folder" inside the content manager folder

5.Look for a file that has the unit model of the GPS and double click it.

6.It would open a self-extractor, just wait and it would open an installation wizard

7.Click next and next until it tells you that it is now updating the GPS

8.Click finish

9.Remove device from the USB

10.GPS should restart by itself and should be fix now
  • not the daring type or you? lol

the above is basically the same procedure..actually opening the download folder and extracting is a bit longer than just opening the .exe program in the update folder
  • Well at least someone got some useful help from Magellan. I was quite frustrated with the lack of any useful help on their website, and when I tried to call them I just got stuck on hold for an eternity.

Thank you WhatHappened, your instructions were very clear and helpful and I got my unit back up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Hopefully Magellan will get this issue fixed before a bunch of bricks end up back at the store, or worse yet before people get RMAs and send their units back for something so simple.

I'm not sure when they decided to automate the update process with content manager. I've ad a 1470 for a couple of years now and previously had to download the update file and run the setup like your instructions. You'd think they would have fallback instructions.
  • 12345 0 Points
    I also waited for 30 minutes on hold with tech support. I am surprised they haven't direct linked to this problem in FAQ on their website as it sounds like a pretty standard problem.

The e-mail did have some information gathering type of questions, so I assume they are stil trying to pinpoint the root...but the solution seems simple, so why wouldn't they want to make it easy for customers to solve?

I almost returned mine to the store. Why would I wait for a mail in repair when the store will take it back?
  • Thanks, WhatHappened. You're a lifesaver.
  • Thank you for the help! I cooled down and tried it again the next day and it worked! GPS is in full working order!
  • Thank you so much! Your post was the most informative on this thread. :lol:. My Windows 7 needed the %temp% and poof fixed in a few clicks of a mouse. I'm very greatful for your post :!:
  • Saw a new updated version of Magellan Content Manager (2.251) that i downloaded and installed. This morning i checked for updates and found a new software update (4.92) so i plugged in my 3120 and updated it. Glad that Magellan fixed the issue of updating using Content Manager.
  • Saw a new updated version of Magellan Content Manager (2.251) that i downloaded and installed. This morning i checked for updates and found a new software update (4.92) so i plugged in my 3120 and updated it. Glad that Magellan fixed the issue of updating using Content Manager.
    you are brave..lol..I think I will stick to 4.90 for a while.
  • Brave but there is a workaround in case the update fails when using the content manager :)
  • Any hope for me? I have a bricked 3120-MU that I bought supposedly new only to find out it's been bricked - most likely by the failed update. But in my case, I don't have the original update that caused it to brick and I looked but can't find it anywhere... is there any hope for me? Any help would be really appreciated, just moved to a new area and have no clue where anything is and my wife is pregnant so money is tight and buying another isn't an option. Thank you in advance, we really appreciate it.
  • have you tried the steps posted above? You need to "show hidden files and folders" first on your computer to be able to see where the update is stored at.
  • I bought mine bricked, it was supposed to be new. There is no update to look for on my computer. I looked on the net for it but can't find it (makes sense since it was a bunk update that was corrected and then poof?) Anyone have any ideas? If someone had the original file that bricked it that I could use to unbrick it that would be awesome.
  • Anyone have any ideas or want to share the update file that corrupted the unit in the first place so i can get it to work again? I guess i got burned... :(
  • The current Context Manager version to use for checking for all updates to your
    Magellan Roadmate 3120MU is 2.251. The current software version is 4.92. The listed current map version is 43.08. However I just sent an e-mail to Magellan support to verify if there is a newer map version that is not showing when you use content manager. I will post further info when Magellan contacts me.

Remember that if you have a Magellan Roadmate 3120MU you are entitled to one free map update. The sixty day map update does not apply to the 3120MU. You can update your 3120MU at any time in the future whenever a new map date is available.
  • Look for the advice given by WhatHappend to fix the download problem with the 3120MU. WhatHappend is a a member who has provided a great fix for your problem. He helped me fix my 3120MU that had the same problem that you experienced.

Good luck and follow WhatHappend's advice. Be patient-the directions work.