This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Display Order In Favorites

Can I get my Garmin 3790LMT to display my favorites in alphabetic order?

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Unfortunately, the Nuvi always sorts favorites by their distance from you.
  • Thanks Boyd,
    So that's what it's doing. That's dumb, who ever thought that up.....
    Oh well, not a big deal. Otherwise it's a GREAT machine.
    Unfortunately, the Nuvi always sorts favorites by their distance from you.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Guess it depends on your point of view. If you're looking for a favourite close by it makes sense ...

You can though tap Favourites>All Favourites>Spell and enter a letter or letters and you'll then get favourites with those letters included sorted with nearest first if that helps :wink:

That's how it works on my 1490, may be slightly different on the 37xx series
  • t923347 432 Points
    On the 3790 it's Favourites>All Favourites>3Bar Icon>>Spell. I have my favorites categorizes which is the reason I'd select All Favorites, if you just have them all in one long list then you'd probably not need to select All Favorites.

Also I disagree that listing the favorites by distance is "dumb". IMO having the AAAA Auto Repair shop appear first on a list of favorites when it's 60 miles away and I want directions to the ZZ's DoNut shop 4 blocks away would be an even worse issue.
  • On the 3790 it's Favourites>All Favourites>3Bar Icon>>Spell. I have my favorites categorizes which is the reason I'd select All Favorites, if you just have them all in one long list then you'd probably not need to select All Favorites.

Also I disagree that listing the favorites by distance is "dumb". IMO having the AAAA Auto Repair shop appear first on a list of favorites when it's 60 miles away and I want directions to the ZZ's DoNut shop 4 blocks away would be an even worse issue.
    But do you really need a GPS to get to ZZ's? :)

I don't think it is 'dumb" either, but it would be nice if they had an option.
    Not a big issue for me personally, I only have maybe 10-12 favorites saved.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you use the 3 bar icon on the 3790 and select delete favorites, you will see an alphabetical list. That isn't going to help much though. :)

I have over 500 favorites, so this can be a pain sometimes. More often than not, I use the option to spell. I wish that could be done with less menu screen taps though.
  • SkipD 91 Points
    What I find handy is using a program like MapSource or BaseCamp to edit favorites. First, I copy all favorites from the GPS unit (I have a 755T) into the computer software and then clear all favorites in the GPS unit. Then, after doing additions/cleanup/editing of favorites in software, I dump the whole load back to the "empty" GPS unit.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I've done the same but as an added feature, while the favorites are in Mapsource I put them into Categories (Hotels, Fuel, Restaurants, Vacation1, etc.) before I copy them back. This makes by 400+ favorites much easier to find than a huge long list.

Haven't tried categories using Basecamp, so can't comment on whether that can be done there.
  • SkipD 91 Points
    I've done the same but as an added feature, while the favorites are in Mapsource I put them into Categories (Hotels, Fuel, Restaurants, Vacation1, etc.) before I copy them back. This makes by 400+ favorites much easier to find than a huge long list.

Haven't tried categories using Basecamp, so can't comment on whether that can be done there.
    I am in exactly the same position. I have not played with the categories in BaseCamp but I use them in MapSource.

I just wish there were an easy way to display a list of category numbers and what I've called them.

PS: I just looked at BaseCamp 3.2.2 and the 3.3 Beta version and neither has a field for categories when you open up a favorite.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I just wish there were an easy way to display a list of category numbers and what I've called them.
    Do you mean displaying the categories in Mapsource without having any waypoints loaded in the software? If so, I just select the waypoint tool and click anywhere on the map. This opens the Waypoint Properties page and all the categories are listed in the categories box on the right side of the screen.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    PS: I just looked at BaseCamp 3.2.2 and the 3.3 Beta version and neither has a field for categories when you open up a favorite.
    Your version of 3.3 must be different from mine then. :wink:

I have not tried this yet (I don't use categories myself), but it has been a much requested feature that the developers specifically pointed out in the update. Actually, they said that Basecamp has always stored the category data internally but earlier versions did not display it.
  • Thanks for all the posts, I didn't expect so many.

Now that I know how it files them it makes more sense when I see the list. The reason I asked the original question was because every list I go into looking for an item the list would be organized alphabetically, but knowing now it is by distance it will make it more useful.

My suggestion to Garmin would be to have an option how the items are displayed.
  • sky81 30 Points
    I tried that in the past with my Nüvi 855 and Mapsource, but gave up when I found that I couldn't get categories that I assigned in Mapsource to show consistently in the Garmin unit. Some places showed up when I picked the Category in Favorites, but others did not. I now have a newer Garmin unit (nüvi 2595LMT) and don't know if I should bother trying again to assign categories in Mapsource and import them back into the nüvi.
  • While on the subject of categories, perhaps somebody can answer a question. On my 2460LMT I have two categories, Bridges & Tunnels.

I did not use mapsorce to create them but rather doing it on the 2460.
    All my entries display properly, however, there are duplicate entries that are cluttering up my favorite files. The entry appears both in the category and in "All Favorites".

If I delete it from all favorites it also disappears from the category.

Is there anyway I could have it ONLY in the category?
    Can Mapsource accomplish this or is it just not possible?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Afraid 'All favourites' is what it says ... ALL favourites :wink:

So you can't accomplish what you're suggesting
  • Afraid 'All favourites' is what it says ... ALL favourites :wink:

So you can't accomplish what you're suggesting
    Thanks for the reply, I suspected that. Still having the categories speeds up the selection process when using voice commands.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I tried that in the past with my Nüvi 855 and Mapsource, but gave up when I found that I couldn't get categories that I assigned in Mapsource to show consistently in the Garmin unit. Some places showed up when I picked the Category in Favorites, but others did not. I now have a newer Garmin unit (nüvi 2595LMT) and don't know if I should bother trying again to assign categories in Mapsource and import them back into the nüvi.
    Works perfectly on my 3790 so I think it should work on your (newer) 2595.