This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 780 Will Music Play from GPS into my Bluetooth

Bought a 780 and love it. It has Bluetooth and so does my car radio. The real problem is that I was using a wire to connect to the auxiliary input on the faceplate of my radio, but now one channel stopped working from the 780. So I get one side, or one channel only. (Tried headphones in there as well so it is not the wire)
Anyhow my brother suggested that I Bluetooth link the 780 to my Bluetooth enbaled car stereo. That would be great. In the owners manual I see that you can connect to phone, but I don't have a phone.
So the questions are;
One is can I connect the 780 to play music and GPS directions through my Bluetooth enabled radio in car.
Two is it possible I could take the 780 apart to possibly fix the bad output jack on the GPS.
Three; On Amazon I see they have the 780 designated as being able to speak the destination into the GPS without having to type it in. Is this correct, and if so how do I enable that feature.
On the music transmission problem please don't say use the FM Transmitter because I tried that and the output strength is so low it doesn't even reach the outside antenna towards the rear of the car.
I know this is covering a lot of ground. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Comments

• Jeeps 81 Points
    Your 780 if I recall correctly won't do what you would like it to do.
    I could be wrong, but your series cousin the 7x5 series had A2DP bluetooth technology, I believe it was one of the few garmin units that allowed pairing of bluetooth audio devices

Now that's a seperate item from a phones bluetooth connectivity. If you set your unit and your cars unit up to try and "discover" each other you may be able to pair the two and see if you can hear turn by turn directions. I believe with your unit you'll only be able to do one or the other, Calls only, or audible turn by turn. This unit was set up for the FM transmitter to do audio transmission of mp3 files and turn by turn directions ONLY. Blue tooth was heard only through the 780s built in speaker, and there really is no way to boost the FCC limited FM transmitter on the unit.

The 765, (I have and use the feature to this day) 775, 785 all use the A2DP that allows me pair a blue tooth ear piece that I can listen to music files, and turn by turn directions in my ear, AND ALLOWS calls to come through the ear piece rather than the GPS's built in speaker, a feature I wish would have continued.

Try your devices out together, the normal Garmin pass code is 1234 if needed. But I don't have high hopes for ia 780 working like you want. But if your radio is a true blue tooth RADIO and not just a radio that has hands free cellualr calling....it could work, there is a difference,

Let us know how it goes.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Very interesting Jeeps, I didn't think any of the Nuvi's had A2DP. I'm sure it is unique in that respect. The Zumo series has it today, but they are rather expensive. My new car has bluetooth, and it's pretty cool that I can use my iPhone to stream music.
  • Jeeps 81 Points
    Very interesting Jeeps, I didn't think any of the Nuvi's had A2DP. I'm sure it is unique in that respect. The Zumo series has it today, but they are rather expensive. My new car has bluetooth, and it's pretty cool that I can use my iPhone to stream music.
    Boyd it is quite a unique feature, I recall some discussions on the forum about it a couple years ago when the first zumo came out. Its makes sense that a motorcyle unit would need it in a helmet to hear the directions. Garmin must have slipped the feature into the 7x5 series for trial, and dropped it...thinking most people would hear it in they're car, or over the radio with a FM transmitter, but now all the newer units have dropped the media player and FM transmitter, I wonder if the Automotive market will have more Bluetooth Stereos that would pair with future GPS units. For now it seems Cellular phone calling is the primary focus.

I can easily see this being a nice feature if your GPS was in your pocket and you were walking in Pedestrian mode with a A2DP ear piece. Granted battery life limits any NUVI's usefullness.

Here's a screen shot of a 765 blue tooth menu, THEFEES if you have this AUDIO option within your units menu you may have the feature to achieve what your wanting to do.

I was able to "discover" my A2DP Plantronics Voyager Pro with the 765 this piece is still available today. I'm
  • Might want to check your manuals. The 705 series says you can pair a phone and headset at the same time. Under Using the Media Players it says 'To listen to high quality audio, you can connect an Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) Bluetooth Headset.' Who knows whether the auto bluetooth will emulate a headset. You will have to try and see if it will pair with the GPS. The above features are available on the 705 series, ie 765.
  • Jeeps 81 Points
    Might want to check your manuals. The 705 series says you can pair a phone and headset at the same time. Under Using the Media Players it says 'To listen to high quality audio, you can connect an Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) Bluetooth Headset.' Who knows whether the auto bluetooth will emulate a headset. You will have to try and see if it will pair with the GPS. The above features are available on the 705 series, ie 765.

The original poster wants his unit, which I believe doesn't have that feature to do just what the 7x5 series units do. outside of the Zumo? (motorcycle units) the 7x5 Nuvi's are the only Nuvi to offer this feature. where both cell phone pairing, and audio receiving can be done through blue tooth,
  • I agree and my point is if you want to know what the unit will do. Most of the answers in forums are guesses or hearsay. If you want the true facts consult the owners manual. They can all be downloaded from the Garmin site in PDF format.
  • t923347 426 Points
    IMHO there is a lot more knowledgeable information to be found here (and other forums) than you'll ever find in a Garmin manual, but that's another story. :wink:

Happy New Year all!