This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Which Unit is best for around $150

DJAngelicon 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Looking to see which model around that price range give or take is best to purchase. I am interested in Free Map Updates and Possible Traffic updates. Also would be nice to have some add-on plugin that will do weather or not but that would be a bonus if such thing exists

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Look for good deals on a 540TM on Amazon.
  • Look for good deals on a 540TM on Amazon.
    Ic, what is your take with the TomTom VIA 1505TM?

I did notice base on your recommendation that the 540TM is better than the 550TM due to cripped interface.
  • dhn 336 Points
    I prefer the 'old' platform that the 540 is on (andwhere the user has access to the file system) over the 15x models and all its issues.
  • I prefer the 'old' platform that the 540 is on (andwhere the user has access to the file system) over the 15x models and all its issues.
    For some reason when I play with the 15x version seems to response faster and better than the 5xx models. Not sure hard call but it looks like I might need to go this route.
  • I think I will pick it up locally at Best Buy to make sure the unit works and have no issues. That way I also have time to return it or exchange it. So the 1535TM will be the one I am getting. Just saw it for 119 in Amazon but will pay the extract to get it local just in case. ;)
  • dhn 336 Points
    Remember:
    1. You NEED Mytomtom (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted) for the 1535
    2. You must activate the code (found in the package of materials) for the M (lifetime maps) functionality.

While, in theory, you can provide an activation code online when you are registering the unit, most North Americans are having a hell of a time getting it to work. Call CS at 866-486-6866 and they can activate at their end.
  • Remember:
    1. You NEED Mytomtom (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted) for the 1535
    2. You must activate the code (found in the package of materials) for the M (lifetime maps) functionality.

While, in theory, you can provide an activation code online when you are registering the unit, most North Americans are having a hell of a time getting it to work. Call CS at 866-486-6866 and they can activate at their end.
    Thanks for the advice, the unit it self took long to boot up the first time. It also took long to download/install the maps etc... I did test the unit leaving Best Buy. It works great, had no issues with the unit and it got faster prior to downloading the data that it needed during the first time when it got power up.

One main question I have now is it possible to add application to this unit for weather or is that only on the GO Live models?

By the way I did the activation just fine, added the maps and everything worked fine.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Only LIVE models include weather, sorry.
  • Only LIVE models include weather, sorry.
    I had that feeling and I think is only on the top GO Live 2535M model for that matter. I though would be nice to have that feature but I guess not having a GPS to having the VIA 1535TM is more than what I had before. :D