This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

avoid only parkways

zadam123 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I am looking for a unit that will avoid only parkways not routs, expressways or freeways or turnpikes. I drive a commercial vehicle not over the road but locally and want to avoid parkways. I have a phone with google maps but you can only avoid all freeways which takes away the ones I can use

I am looking for something not very expensive

Thanks

Comments

• What is the difference between a parkway, route, expressway and freeway? To me they describe the same thing (but I don't drive commercial).

I know Garmin make units specifically for truckers, and probably has more avoidance options that an automotive one does not have.

Don't know any more details than that.
  • patruns 10 Points
    What is the difference between a parkway, route, expressway and freeway? To me they describe the same thing (but I don't drive commercial).

I know Garmin make units specifically for truckers, and probably has more avoidance options that an automotive one does not have.

Don't know any more details than that.
    Parkways typically do not allow commercial vehicles & venturing on will usually result in a stiff fine and the very real possibility of getting stuck under a bridge. :)
  • Is there any other cheaper units out there. I don't need all that truck stuff like I weight hight etc. I drive a van with commercial plates I really only need to avoid 1 parkway I don't want to spend 300 dollars to do it. maybe there is a way to avoid just 1 route?
  • on the Garmin under tools navigation

you have
    U-Turns
    Highways
    Toll roads
    traffic
    ferries
    crpool lanes
    unpaved roads

And we call this a site that is about Gps.

any of the Garmin will do that for you, the Garmin I am referring to is the nuv 1450LMT

Uncheck it and you are not going to travel on it. unless you are forced to due to a bridge, and no other alternitive, so know your areas
  • blupupher 0 Points
    edited January 2012

Parkways typically do not allow commercial vehicles & venturing on will usually result in a stiff fine and the very real possibility of getting stuck under a bridge. :)
    Ah, OK. Like I said, I don't drive commercial, so did not know that.
    on the Garmin under tools navigation

you have
    U-Turns
    Highways
    Toll roads
    traffic
    ferries
    crpool lanes
    unpaved roads

And we call this a site that is about Gps.

any of the Garmin will do that for you, the Garmin I am referring to is the nuv 1450LMT

Uncheck it and you are not going to travel on it. unless you are forced to due to a bridge, and no other alternitive, so know your areas
    That will not do what they are asking.
    They are trying to avoid certain types of roads that don't allow commercial traffic (ie Parkways). Regular Garmins have only the options you posted. If "Highways" are selected, it will not route on any highway unless no alternative is available. That is not what is wanted.
    Garmin (and probably other makers) have units designed specifically for truckers/RV's/commercial that you can set avoidance based on commercial traffic rules, height and weight rules any probably other factors that are not on basic car units.

edit:
    Well, reading another post brought up another option.
    The 2460 (the nuvi 800, 805, 5000, 2400, 2405, 2505, and 3400 series have this option) has a "Custom Avoidance" option that will allow you to select a certain section of roadway to avoid in it's routing calculations. Sounds like what you need.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0f37d3e0-5440-11dd-f529-000000000000}
  • Boyd 1725 Points
    I am looking for something not very expensive
    See... that's the real problem. :)

Some of the newer Garmin models have a "custom avoidance" feature where you could choose the specific road you want and prevent it from being used in a route. I believe the 2400 series has this, and I also think the new "advanced" and "prestige" lines may have it as well.

Garmin's lineup has gotten so confusing now - and I thought it was bad before!

(heh, looks like we were posting that at the same time :) )
  • I understand, thank you. comemrcial vehicles are prhibited on spicific roadways. and to avoid a few. gotcha.

well guess if that is the only alternitive, hope there is one for ya good luck
  • I called garmin and they said that teh nuvi 2565 and 2455 have the avoidance option which is exactaly what is needed .

thanks for all the help
  • pwabraham 0 Points
    I have a Garmin 2455 and alas, there seems to be no way, not even with custom avoidances, to tell it to avoid parkways. The best you can do -- and it's awkward -- is to tell it to avoid a specific segment of a specific parkway. I occasionally attach a trailer to my car, and this is the feature I need when I do that.