Enough memory in 2555LMT ?

Hi,
I am interested in buying this model. I have read/heard however, that there is not enough memory available to actually allow for a lifetime of free map updates. Is there really only enough memory to allow for just a few map updates?

Thanks

Comments

• I think you have a misconception regarding Lifetime Maps.
    You said "actually allow for a lifetime of free map updates".
    When you update the maps on the unit the maps are REPLACED, NOT ADDED.

That being said, the U.S. model of the 2555LMt has 4GB of internal memory that includes map of USA, Canada, and Mexico.
    The latest map size (2012.30) of that map is abouut 1.6GB.
    This should be sufficient for any future map updates.

For a little more money, you may want to consider the 2595LMT which has 8GB memory, Bluetooth, and accepts voice commands. The extra 4GB memory alone is worth the 30.00 listed price difference in my opinion.
    You can even add Europe maps to the unit which exceed 2GB and still have plenty of room.

Compare the two units here, then search for the best prices.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=133&compareProduct=101881&compareProduct=97146
  • popej 52 Points
    The latest map size (2012.30) of that map is abouut 1.6GB.
    I think actual size is about 3 - 3.5GB. 1.6G are map data, but whole release include files for traffic trends, some databases for poi addressing, Instsearch and Instaroute (depending on nuvi model), junction view and voice search. For example voice search is nearly 900MB and JCV files have size in range 200-700MB.
  • My mistake in not acknowleding the extra files, I should have been more specific. It was just a generaliztion for the OP that obviously has limited experience with a Nuvi and map updates.

My own 2460 has 4.07 GB memory used (8GB on unit), and that includes removing most of the voice files. However, I did load the larger 775MB JCV file that displays full screen, rather than the 459MB displaying split screen which is the default JCV file. I myself prefer the full screen.

If I were making the purchase, I would choose the 2595LMT.
  • Thanks willyboy and popej,

I would not use bluetooth or voice activation.

The 2595LMT definitely has more memory?
  • As mentioned, in my opinion, the memory alone is worth the extra money and possible future aggravation with map updates.

Although you don't need Bluetooth (I don't either), it's something to consider if ever you decide to sell the 2555 should you want to upgrade, many people want this feature.

Good luck in whatever your decision is.
  • popej 52 Points
    More memory is convenient, but maps and auxiliary files can be put on SD too.

BlueTooth on new devices could allow to use Smartphone Link and some paid services like fuel prices near current position or traffic info.
  • Thanks again guys,
    I just ordered a 2595LMT!!!
  • Smart Choice.

The very best of luck with your new toy.
  • I recently got the 2555LMT and when I went to update the map it said I did not have enough memory. I had to chose the option to only install the U.S. map and not the Canadian or Mexican maps. I plan on getting a SD card for it but haven't got around to it yet. And I don't drive outside the U.S. so not having the other maps isn't really a concern for me.
  • tahl 0 Points
    If I can add on to this thread . . .

I've just today bought the 2555LMT and am wondering if I should return it to get the 2595LMT. I want enough memory to easily add UK/Ireland maps. In the past, I've had issues with my 885T (4 GB internal memory) not being able to handle the full US update on top of the UK maps.

In this thread, Willyboy says internal memory for the US models are:
    2555LMT = 4 GB
    2595LMT = 8 GB

But in the thread called "Garmin Internal Memory Sizes," I see:
    24x5 and 25x5 series -> approx. 7GB reported by Garmin
    2595 -> 8GB reported on DIAG screen by @Chizad

So, question: Can someone confirm for me that the 2595 has a useful amount more memory than the 2555? Thanks.
  • My 2555LMT reports 4GB on the diagnostics screen.

If you only want the 2595LMT for the additional memory, I would just buy a SDHC card. I can buy them near me for $5 for 4GB. The 2595LMT costs $20 more than the 2555LMT. If you also want the voice control and bluetooth then it would make more sense to get the 2595LMT.
  • tahl 0 Points
    Thanks for the confirmation!
  • @tahl

If you are still undecided on which unit to get I would call Garmin and ask them how much memory is on the European purchased 2555 and what European map is included. It may not have the entire Euro map on it because of limited memory (4 GB). I just don't know, the Euro version 2555 may in fact have 7GB as posted in "the thread called "Garmin Internal Memory Sizes".

efranzen posted his 2455 has 4GB, but is profile doesn't indicate what country he is in. He may be in the USA which the 4GB is confirmed.

That is why Garmin doesn't post memory sizes of units since they vary from one country to another.

For the difference in the 20.00 price I would buy the 2595 for the peace of mind of not having map update problems. Also the blue tooth, even if not used, is a feature some may want should you decide to sell it in the future.
    I also like the voice command on my 2460, works pretty well, not perfect, has some limitations, but usually gets the job done.
  • tahl 0 Points
    Thanks. I should have been clearer -- I'm in the US, and will be getting a US-purchased unit, and loading the UK/Ireland maps onto it along with the US maps. I've decided to go with the 2595LMT for the reasons you suggest!
  • wifigv 0 Points
    I recently got the 2555LMT and when I went to update the map it said I did not have enough memory. I had to chose the option to only install the U.S. map and not the Canadian or Mexican maps. I plan on getting a SD card for it but haven't got around to it yet. And I don't drive outside the U.S. so not having the other maps isn't really a concern for me.
    How do you only install the U.S. map? Where can you find that option?
    Thanks!
  • sussamb 179 Points
    Log on to myGarmin, then when you're downloading the maps select Option 2. At some point you'll see a button in the lower left of your screen 'Install options'. Select that and you get various choices to make, including which parts of the map to download.