This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Stuck & broken MicroSD chip in NUVI 2595LMT

I bought a 16 GB MicroSD chip for my Nuvi 2595. When I pushed it in per the manual, it didn't seat straight and I snapped off the back on the plastic part of the SD chip trying to get it out. It doesn't show up on the desktop when I plug the unit into my Mac via USB, so the chip isn't even making contact.

Pushing on the chip to make it snap out doesn't work because it's wedged in tight.

I removed the 4 screws on the back of the unit to see if I could remove it that way, but the back doesn't want to come apart and I don't want to pry on anything.

How do I remove the chip- should I attempt to send it to Garvin to take apart?

The unit works fine, but I sure would like to have a working SD chip.

Thanks

Comments

• KF2TI 0 Points
    see if you have or can get a pair of thin bladed tweezers (like a person might use to pluck out eyebrows) You might ne able to grab the chip and wiggle it out
  • alanb 367 Points
    Or you could try to dislodge it with a plastic toothpick.
  • I tried tweezers and some of the plastic snapped. I tried a sharp pointed needle- now there is no more plastic on the chip to grab onto. It's gonna have to come apart to get it out.

Anybody know how to take this thing apart?
  • Try searching u-tube.
  • Since the 2595 is so new I was unable to find any video for battery replacement which shows you how to open the unit.

I did find one on a 2250 that states first to remove the 4 screws which you said you've done. I suspect each model line has its own internal configuration of the parts inside. Watching the video on the 2250 I was UNABLE to see if the SD slot was accessible without tearing the unit apart further.

You will need a plastic case opening tool as not to damage the case and should be done in a sequence for easiest separation.
    Below is a link where you can get a toolkit that supplies several plastic case opening tools, they will work on the Nuvi.
    http://www.meritline.com/7-in-1-tool-kit---p-39986.aspx?source=fghdac

Watch the video below for the 2250 so you have an idea on how the case opens on the 2250 model. Perhaps the 2595 is similar.

Once opened you may or may not see the SD slot to get at the broken card. What a shame this happened to you on such a new unit.

• I bought a 16 GB MicroSD chip for my Nuvi 2595. When I pushed it in per the manual, it didn't seat straight and I snapped off the back on the plastic part of the SD chip trying to get it out. It doesn't show up on the desktop when I plug the unit into my Mac via USB, so the chip isn't even making contact.

Pushing on the chip to make it snap out doesn't work because it's wedged in tight.

I removed the 4 screws on the back of the unit to see if I could remove it that way, but the back doesn't want to come apart and I don't want to pry on anything.

How do I remove the chip- should I attempt to send it to Garvin to take apart?

The unit works fine, but I sure would like to have a working SD chip.

Thanks
    When you first inserted the Micro SD card did you insert it with the metal contacts facing you? On my 1490T manual it says to insert the SD card but it didn't say which way the card is to go in. When I got my first SD card I inserted it with the Logo facing the card and it got stuck also. Luckily, I was able to extract it. The correct way to insert the card is with the metal contacts facing the screen.
  • The same holds true in having the metal contacts facing the screen on the 2460LMT. It seemed logical to insert the opposite way the first time I inserted it, fortunately it didn't get stuck but would not lock in.

I don't like the micro cards, too small for my thick fingers, dropped it many times trying to insert.
  • t923347 406 Points

When you first inserted the Micro SD card did you insert it with the metal contacts facing you? On my 1490T manual it says to insert the SD card but it didn't say which way the card is to go in. When I got my first SD card I inserted it with the Logo facing the card and it got stuck also. Luckily, I was able to extract it. The correct way to insert the card is with the metal contacts facing the screen.
    Ditto, for me and my 1490. I'm embarrassed to say that it was months later before I realized my error and stopped complaining about the SD slot on the 1490 not working properly. :oops:
  • On my 1490T the retention spring is pretty strong. I have to be careful when I remove the card or it will go flying halfway across the room. :wink:
  • Thanks for the YouTube video reference. I couldn't see if the MicroSD slot was exposed, and noticed that the 2595 has a different layout. Oh well- looks like I'll have to send it in to Garmin and have them repair it. Thanks to all the folks who replied here. Other than my messing up the MicroSD installation, I love this unit. It works perfectly!

Thanks
  • If you send it back to Garmin for repair be prepared not to get the same unit back. Make sure you backed up any favorites or POI's you have on the Nuvi.

I would call Garmin first being courteous and explain nowhere in the manual does it state what direction the SD card should be inserted so it's not negligence on your part for failing to read the manual. They should fix it for free.

Good Luck With Your Repair.
  • Thanks for the tip- I don't have many sites saved, so that's not a problem. If I get a working SD chip, hopefully I can save my locations there.

Appreciate the heads up. I'll post here when I get this resolved.
  • sviking 141 Points

I would call Garmin first being courteous and explain nowhere in the manual does it state what direction the SD card should be inserted so it's not negligence on your part for failing to read the manual.
    In this day and age? Uh, yeah...it IS negligence, manual or no manual... Claiming to not know is about as bad as installing batteries backwards. Aside from GPS units, with all the digital cameras, cell phones, music players, etc out there just about everyone should know how a memory card is inserted. The contacts go INTO the device. Common sense, quite really... And quit JAMMING the cards in. They are designed to click into and out of the slot. If you feel excessive resistance, STOP, reposition and try again. :roll:
  • @sviking

Sorry I have to disagree with you on that. My older Nuvis have a standard SD card slot, on those units the pins face to the back. On my newer 2460 using the micro SD card the pins face to the front. The first time I tried inserting the micro SD card in the 2460 I faced the pins to the back out of shear habit. Fortunately I did no damage.
    The micro cards are so small that somebody with thick fingers (me) may have difficulty inserting the card.
  • t923347 406 Points
    The micro card on my 3790 is inserted with the pins facing the back of the unit.
  • sviking 141 Points
    The micro card on my 3790 is inserted with the pins facing the back of the unit.
    And? How is that different from what I said? The card inserts with the contacts/pins going INTO the unit. Device face up...card face up... Quite simple, really... That's exactly how it works on my 3790T.

I'm not the one who initially tried on a (your) 1490 with the card 180 out...and failed...and didn't realize it until "months later"... :lol:
  • t923347 406 Points
    Not sure why you would think I was replying to your post, in fact I was agreeing with you and directing my comments to Willyboy who said:
    @sviking

Sorry I have to disagree with you on that. My older Nuvis have a standard SD card slot, on those units the pins face to the back. On my newer 2460 using the micro SD card the pins face to the front. The first time I tried inserting the micro SD card in the 2460 I faced the pins to the back out of shear habit. Fortunately I did no damage.
    All I was saying was that, at least, the 3790 works the way he says the standard SD cards do and not like his 2460.
  • popej 57 Points
    Device face up...card face up... Quite simple, really...
    I don't have 2595 but I can bet it works like 24xx and this is exactly the procedure that OP used to jam the slot :lol:
  • sviking 141 Points
    Oh, nice... *Someone's* deleting posts. So, with that, y'all have fun with your stuck and/or broken memory cards now... :roll:
  • sviking:

not evryone is as "technologically inclined" as you claim to be.

Your attitude on the previous posts is not a very helpful tone, (probably the reason some of the posts were deleted, let teh mods do their job & take it up with them in private if you have an issue with their moderating actions)I'd hate to think that you are trolling.

That said...

Hopefully Garmin helps out the OP without too much of a hassle, & yes the Micro SD cards are tiny, fragile and hard to manage for some.

They SHOULD slide in easily, but sometimes its hard to figure out which way they go in. & they DO get stuck if pushed in the wrong way.

Hopefully the OP can call Garmin customer service/ tech support & find out if they will charge him before sending the unit in.
  • From the link in that youtube video, it leads you the site that includes battery replacement video for your model gps:

http://www.newpower99.com/Battery_for_Garmin_Nuvi_2595_p/garmin nuvi 2595.htm

And from reviewing that video, it appears that once you open up the gps, there appears to be 3 screws holding the main circuit board in place.

I am thinking that you can then access the SD card at that point.

ALL SPECULATION on my part - proceed with CAUTION if you attempt it!

Good Luck!!!
  • Well, since I started this query, I thought all of you might like to know the outcome. I called Garmin and talked to their customer service rep. She questioned me and took notes on everything I said so she could pass the info on to the tech people. She then gave me an RMA number and had me mail the 2595LMT to Garmin. Six days later, a brand new Garmin 2595LMT appeared at my front door. No charge, no fees, just very very good service. I wish more companies would support their customers like Garmin has done.

Hats off for the person who suggested that I remove any data on the old one before sending it in for repair, as they can- and did- send me a new unit. They even updated the serial number on my registration data on their server and I have a new 1-year warranty.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions here.
  • popej 57 Points
    No charge, no fees
    And no microSD? ;)
  • SergZak 240 Points
    No charge, no fees, just very very good service. I wish more companies would support their customers like Garmin has done.
    Regardless of some of the griping/complaining some of us do here about Garmin's "feature roulette" and other related tidbits, they do in fact offer great customer service and will most times will go above & beyond the call of duty to set things right.

And even if they didn't replace the microSD, I think they should be commended for supplying a new unit to you at no cost.
  • Those are great news!

Garmin does make a good, solid product, & I'm happy to hear they stand behind it. From what I've experienced in their website, & what I've heard here, their customer service is exellent.

• Ditto, for me and my 1490. I'm embarrassed to say that it was months later before I realized my error and stopped complaining about the SD slot on the 1490 not working properly. :oops:
    For sure it is easy to inadvertently install your memory card in the wrong manner. I made a detailed reminder to follow:

MicroSDHC
    To insert. Look at the rear of my1490, (the chip inserts on the right side of the device when looking at the rear of the device).
    Hold the chip in my right hand while looking at the white printing. Have the chip turned so that the contacts are on left side of the chip and facing the screen.

Note:
    Be cautious when inserting your memory card into your card reader too.
    Make yourself a reminder note for that too.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    @the5count

Thanks for getting back to the forum and advising Garmin resolved your problem. It's nice to hear that they replaced it with a BRAND New unit and stood behind their product. As SergZak indicated many complain about Garmin products so it's refreshing to hear some positive comments.

The few times I did call Customer Service I was very pleased, they were polite and patient, I was not rushed to get to the next call and they remained on the line until my issue was resolved.

Losing the SD card is a small price to pay for the knowledge you gained.
  • popej 57 Points
    General rule for inserting SD into nuvi would be like that:
    - Look at the slot. It is mounted asymmetric on the case.
    - Insert SD with golden pins facing at the side of the slot, which has bigger distance to the edge of case. Printed side towards the edge of case nearer to the slot.
    - Don't force it, if you feel resistance, try other way.

Two examples of proper position of microSD:
  • General rule for inserting SD into nuvi would be like that:
    - Insert SD with golden pins facing at the side of the slot, which has bigger distance to the edge of case. Printed side towards the edge of case nearer to the slot.

Two examples of proper position of microSD:
    Now wouldn't it have been nice of GARMIN to provide THAT kind of information! (Not only as regards micro cards, but ALL of the functions of the GPS units.)

Garmin is right on the line of FAIL when it comes to their manuals and information online at the Garmine website!
  • Now wouldn't it have been nice of GARMIN to provide THAT kind of information! (Not only as regards micro cards, but ALL of the functions of the GPS units.)

Garmin is right on the line of FAIL when it comes to their manuals and information online at the Garmine website!
    I dunno, I don't think I'd fault Garmin for that. I must have owned at least a dozen gadgets over the years that use these cards (GPS, cameras, phones, etc), and none of their manuals go into that kind of detail. When I insert a card for the first time I'm just slow and cautious, and the way the card is keyed it's obvious if it's the wrong orientation before any damage occurs.
  • t923347 406 Points
    General rule for inserting SD into nuvi would be like that:
    This is good information but doesn't help on units where the SD card slot is centered on the side of the unit like the 3790, for example.
  • General rule for inserting SD into nuvi would be like that:

This is good information but doesn't help on units where the SD card slot is centered on the side of the unit like the 3790, for example.
    Popej's instructions does apply to the 3790. Look at this photo of the slot and notice how the slot is nearer one edge than the other

http://www.engadget.com/photos/garmin-nuvi-3790t-hands-on/#3082087 :wink:

• Popej's instructions does apply to the 3790. Look at this photo of the slot and notice how the slot is nearer one edge than the other

http://www.engadget.com/photos/garmin-nuvi-3790t-hands-on/#3082087 :wink:

EDIT: When that web page opens look at the photo numbered 8 / 22 (8 out of 22) The slot is nearer the edge of the device that is facing the man's palm.
  • popej 57 Points
    It is empirical rule, based on observation, that SD socked has contacts on solder side and printed circuit board is usually in the middle of the case, when it has components on both sides. This can be not true for extremely thin devices, but I actually measured my 3760 with caliper before posting ;)

Edit: measured again, rule is not true for 37xx.
  • t923347 406 Points
    EDIT: When that web page opens look at the photo numbered 8 / 22 (8 out of 22) The slot is nearer the edge of the device that is facing the man's palm.
    As Popej says, the rule is not true for the 3790. :)

Look very closely at the picture and you'll see that there is as much of the device below the slot as there is above, it's just harder to see. In real life I'm looking at my 3790 and if it isn't in the middle it's to close for my eyes to see any difference.
  • EDIT: When that web page opens look at the photo numbered 8 / 22 (8 out of 22) The slot is nearer the edge of the device that is facing the man's palm.

As Popej says, the rule is not true for the 3790. :)

Look very closely at the picture and you'll see that there is as much of the device below the slot as there is above, it's just harder to see. In real life I'm looking at my 3790 and if it isn't in the middle it's to close for my eyes to see any difference.
    Well then, since Popej and T923347 have the actual device I will have to withdraw what I wrote. The picture is not a sufficient reference. The rule for the 37xx inconclusively does not apply. Thank you.
  • Thanks Popej for the two pictures. I agree with CruisinCajun that it would be helpful if Garmin supplied some pictures like this in the individual owners manuals. Since each model has a different layout, the owners manual is the logical place for this.

I notice that my 2595 is almost identical to your picture on the right- the exception being that the 2595 has the slot on the opposite side, i.e., the "Garmin" label on the top of the unit would be on the top right side of the picture.

I think I wrote Garmin and told them it would be a good idea to include a picture like this.

Last, no, Garmin didn't give me another MicroSD chip but they DID give me great service!

Again- many thanks to all the people who responded positively here. When your toy is broken, you need all the help you can get.
  • comsnark 0 Points
    Impressive that Garmin supplied a new unit.

I suspect that getting a new SD card was bit much to ask. . but considering the low cost of the cards, not such a big deal.

I for one am not even sure I got a manual with my unit. . .and when I put the SD card in, I had NO IDEA which way was correct -> and was not inclined to take a magnfying glass to find out. I used the "does it resist insertion?" method.

From an ergonomics point of view, the micro SD cards are the pits! I don't think I ever plan to remove mine from the GPS.
  • ozarkie 34 Points
    I believe this might be a VERY simple way to determine the orientation for the memory card, regardless of Garmin model.

Use a small, bright flashlight like the miniature LED type or similar. Look into your mem card slot. You will see a flat, shiny plate on one side and several tiny protruding contacts on the other. The flat side of the card fits on the flat metal surface and the copper strip contacts on the card fit the protruding contacts in the slot...that's how the data gets transferred.

You can then put some kind of mark such as a paint dot on both your card and the corresponding side of the GPS slot, then just match the dots when inserting.
  • Ozarkie is absolutely correct! After making my blunder and receiving the new unit, I bought another MicroSD chip and inspected it AND the socket on the Nuvi 2595 with a magnifying glass. It is very obvious which way the chip has to be inserted.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and had never used a Micro SD chip before. This might be the case with a lot of Newbies. The only problem I see with supplying a diagram in the "Manual" is that Garmin would have to customize a manual for each different model, as it appears that they have experimented with various places to put the MicroSD slot in their attempts to improve on the design.

It sure is easy to second-guess things .

Thanks all.
  • Hello All,
    As I am very new here (first post) I cannot comment TOO much yet about Garmin, BUT, as a Technical Author I would ALWAYS show or otherwise indicate the correct method/direction of card insertion. It can be expensive to add to every variant but it can also be expensive to make a mistake and break things, not just for the end user but also for the company supplying new equipment.
    Dissatisfied end users are liable to change to different makes and also tell others about their experiences, which can also be a loss to the company.

Anyway, enough ranting for today!. I just bought a 2595LM, not used it much yet but it seems VERY good so far.

I need to connect to the computer and add bits when I get time, looking forward to that!

One of the things I plan to do is the stops and other routes/waypoints for the Devizes to Westminster canoe race, I did support for my son and a friend, superb experience but only maps and a slow gps then so it was hard work.

Will make this available when I finish it (and when I work out how!)
    Happy new Year to everybody here and have a beer for me!!!

Bob
  • Late reply to the thread to say: I am with Techauthorbob on this, as I also was in the tech doc trade.

Any area that is prone to user error, and potential damage to the unit, should receive some attention, with some documentation, ever so brief.
    Basic stuff.
  • kenp 92 Points
    I needed a memory card for my 255W. The manual was unclear about what kind. I e-mailed tech support, giving the model number, asking if I needed an SD or micro SD card. Their reply was to measure the slot. They did tell me which one was what size.

Detailed instructions would be nice, but it's hard for them to provide that when they don't know for sure what's on the unit. :)

Ken
  • privet01 145 Points
    kenp, you could just buy a micro sd and if that's not right put it in an sd adapter for a couple dollars more.

But why attach to this post instead of making a new one? There really isn't anything in here relevant to your issue IMO.
  • kenp 92 Points
    I don't have an issue. I measured the slot, like they told me, and got the right thing. I was just commenting on the idea that Garmin should provide detailed instructions on how to insert the card. They don't even keep track of what kind is on each model. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Ken
  • I can't imagine needing to measure the slot or requiring tech support to determine the correct size card.

• kenp 92 Points
    No need to imagine...it really happened. :)

I've yet to see a micro SD card in the flesh. When the "Got the humanoid...not enough memory for the map update" message said I needed an SD or micro SD card, it seemed easier to drop Garmin an e-mail rather than hunt down a dimensioned drawing. The surprise for me was that support did not know which the 255W used, but said I had to measure.

Ken
  • Boyd 1765 Points
    I believe this has come up before WRT the 2x5 series. I think different SD card form factors were used on different models, or possibly even the same models that were made at different times. This is referenced in the manual on page 1

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/2675_OwnersManual.pdf
    note: Memory card slots on units may be equipped for an SD card or a microSD card.
  • kenp 92 Points
    Well, that takes the charm and grump opportunity out of it. :)

Thanks for the info. What's left is that Garmin support replied to my e-mail pretty quickly, with a correct and useful answer.

Ken
  • For anyone that has attempted to open up some of the Garmins and try to dislodge the card, I had opened up my NUVI2555 LMT a few months back to see if it was difficult. On the 2555, at least, the unit is set up in a partitioned way so that the battery is easily accessible as soon as you take off the back plate, but the microSD card slot is hidden behind some inaccessible area (you would need special tools) and so I was not able to get at mine.