This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Creating Route In Mapsource

kskeye 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I have a Nuvi 755t and downloaded Mapsource in order to create a route to upload to the Nuvi. My problem is when I open Mapsource I see nothing but a blue grid screen. How do I load a map to work with?

Comments

• Boyd 1966 Points
    Mapsource requires the maps to be installed on your computer. This can be done when you download an update.

As an alternative, see our FAQ about using your Nuvi's map in Basecamp
  • Downloaded latest map to computer and then onto the Nuvi but maps still don't appear on Mapsource. I downloaded and read the Mapsource manual and tried following directions. Garmin Communicator is installed and recognizes the Nuvi. The manual references an unlock code or a coupon code. I didn't buy Mapsource, I simply downloaded from Garmin so I don't know how these codes would apply to me. Not quite sure what to do at this point.
  • sussamb 791 Points
    There's a drop down list top left in Mapsource, what maps do you see listed there?
  • I don't have a drop down box in the top left corner. The first icons in the top left corner are the magnify and reduce icons.
  • sussamb 791 Points
    Go to View>Switch to product, is anything listed there?

Also look at Utilities>Manage map products, is anything there?
  • Went to View>Switch to Product and "No Map" found

Went to Utilities>Manage map products and nothing found
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Downloaded latest map to computer and then onto the Nuvi but maps still don't appear on Mapsource.
    Are you sure the maps were installed on your computer? It sounds like they weren't to me, or you would see them. What version of Mapsource are you running? Versions older than 6.14.1 won't work with City Navigator.

What version of Windows are you running? On XP you should find a City Navigator folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Garmin\Maps. On Vista and Windows 7 you will find it at C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\. You will need to set your machine to show hidden files and folders in order to see these folders.

If you can't find those folders, the maps are not installed. But I suggest you download and install Basecamp as per my earlier post. If the maps are installed on your computer, Basecamp will also access them. If they aren't, it can access the maps directly on your Nuvi while it's connected.

Mapsource has been discontinued and Basecamp is the replacement. If you aren't already familiar with Mapsource, I'd suggest just skipping it and using Basecamp, since that's the program Garmin is actively developing.
  • Thanks Boyd and Sussamb for your help. I downloaded and installed BaseCamp and its working great! Thanks again!
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    Great, glad you got it working.