Can you override the route the GPS suggests? Nuvi 2595

Noobie here... Wondering if there is a way to get an alternate route on my unit. In other words I want to go to the widget store and it provides me the route to travel. I know there is an easier route, how can I get my unit to give me alternate routes so I can select which one I want?

Thanks
Bob

Comments

• sussamb 220 Points
    If you know there's an easier route just take it, your nuvi will recalculate :wink:
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    I believe your model offers something called "prompted" routing which will give you a few choices. I know they have changed the menus on the new models, so I'm not sure how to access, but it is probably under settings > navigation > automotive... or something like that. :)
  • Thanks for the info. There are a few settings, fastest time, shortest distance, less fuel, and off road.
    I'll tinker with them and see where the lead me.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Just looked in the manual... my bad, Garmin keeps changing menu options to the point that nobody can keep them straight anymore. Your model doesn't have the "prompted" option. That option is available on the Nuvi 2400 and 3700 series, maybe the 2300. But they seem to have removed it from the 2012 models. :roll:
  • @Boyd
    Confirmed the 2460 has the prompt feature and I have mine set to that.
    Default is fastest time, arrow down gives shortest distance, another arrow down gives less fuel. Saves time going throught the menus and even lets you view the route that the particular mode chosen on the map.

Unfortunately, going from NY to PA, it routed me through I78 in NJ and PA,
    I wanted to take route I80. All 3 modes routed me through I78.
  • If you enable the Advanced Detours option you can choose specific roads to exclude from a route.
  • On the 2460 the advanced detour route only has enabled or disabled, no way to select a road to avoid.

Went into custom avoidances and able to select avoid I78 in there,
    but had to have a start point and end point, I needed to constantly zoom in and out to get it done. Surely one of the three modes should have taken me on I80 and not allon I78.
  • Once you've enabled it, and are actively routing somewhere, tap Detour and you should see a new option to avoid specific roads.
  • Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try on my next trip.
  • Just looked in the manual... my bad, Garmin keeps changing menu options to the point that nobody can keep them straight anymore. Your model doesn't have the "prompted" option. That option is available on the Nuvi 2400 and 3700 series, maybe the 2300. But they seem to have removed it from the 2012 models. :roll:
    They kinda have it on the 2012 models not sure if it's every 2012 models though. On my 3490 when you pick somewhere to navigate to you can click the Routes button that pops up when you select a destination and most times it will give you different routes to pick from. Rich shows this on his review of the 3490 also.
    http://gpstracklog.com/2011/11/garmin-nuvi-3490lmt-review.html