This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi 310 vs 350 vs 360

I am looking at getting a GPS and I am down to a Tomtom one or nuvi (portability is important to me). What is the main difference between the nuvi's quoted above?
I want to use the GPS in the US and Australia - which would you recommend?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    The 310 comes (only) with European maps so that one won't match your needs.

The big difference between the 350 and 360 is that the 360 comes with Bluetooth enabling a hands free calling feature when paired with certain phones.

With the Nuvis you would need to purchase the additional maps for Australia. They cost (retail price) $293.33 for the CD-ROM or $320 on SD card. Depending on the amount of area you need to cover in Australia you might be able to just purchase the CD and load the Australia data you need in the remaining free space on the Nuvi. But if you need a wider coverage you might want to purchase those maps on SD card so you don't have to worry about transferring the correct locations.
  • Thanks for the info. just one point, the 310 is avialable in australia with Australian maps.
    I live in Australia so would want full coverage and be able to load the US maps when i visit the US.
    With the above info would you recommend a nuvi or the tomtom one?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    edited April 2007
    The Nuvi is a more advanced GPS device so you will want to take that and your local prices into consideration. The Nuvi offers an MP3 music player, photo viewer, and text to speech. It also has a longer battery life. The one advantage the [TomTom] has is the ability to program multiple "vias" per route. But many people might not use that feature.
  • Tim
    Thanks again. I am very impressed with the service you provide

I am slowly sorting this out.
    is it true to say that the 310 is the european version of the 360?

Can you buy an FM TX for the 310/360 so you can route the sound through your stero speakers
  • Tim 1481 Points
    is it true to say that the 310 is the european version of the 360?
    Yes, that is correct with one exception. The 310 does not have text-to-speech. I'm not sure why they made that distinction in that model.

There are third party FM transmitters which people have purchased and said to work well. I'm not personally familiar with them.
  • tim
    They are advertising the 310 as having text to speech. refer below:

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_nuvi310_specs.aspx
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Well, you know I thought it was weird too that the 310 wouldn't have text-to-speech. I haven't used that model myself so I can't be certain first hand. I got my info from the Garmin documentation which says "Unit Speaks Street and POI Names: No"

I pulled the manual for the 310 and it too is a little ambiguous. In one section where it refers to text-to-speech it says "360 only".
  • Traum 0 Points
    The Nuvi is a more advanced GPS device so you will want to take that and your local prices into consideration. The Nuvi offers an MP3 music player, photo viewer, and text to speech. It also has a longer battery life. The one advantage the Nuvi has is the ability to program multiple "vias" per route. But many people might not use that feature.
    I thought the Nuvi's only support 1 single via point per route?

-Lik
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Correct, good catch of my typo.