This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Live GPS Understanding

Supernatural2012 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I understand the gps tracking, it is a very smart concept, but I am looking to get a live gps tracker now for my car. I saw a few demos, and I am trying to understand which satellites the live imagery actually comes from.

I say to myself, why pay 800 dollars for a tracker, and then pay 400 a year just to track it lol. Estimating the number of people using trackers already obviously outweighs the number of satellites currently in orbit. This means that there is already a high level wide zoom available over the continent, and its just the software that interprets and limits the imagery access perimeter.

Say I wanted to just type in my own gps cordinates to view a live tornado, and then type in another cordinate halfway around the world at a 100 ft high tidal wave in the middle of the pacific, etc.

I mean perhaps I am confused, but I dont believe we need to task satellites anymore due to the complex lens nanotech developed in the past 50 years right?

Although I would imagine that access to this program that allows the ability to increase the diameter of coverage would co inside on a cost basis to the suckers that they have already scraped funds from. Which means each license would be only million of dollars on a good day.

If my thought basis is off, please feel free to correct me, thanks for any info available.

Comments

• Boyd 1966 Points
    I don't think there's anything remotely like that available to the average person. You need to be a big corporation with lots of $$$ to spend. You can get satellite imagery, but it isn't real-time. It may be several years old and the quality level varies.

You can get weather radar, but it isn't quite realtime either, it is only refreshed every 5 minutes or so and is ground-based.
  • The satellite imagery is most definitely not live, if that's what you're thinking. The position reported by the GPS locator would be, but it's just overlaid on whatever satellite imagery that's available commercially, similar to what you see on Google Earth. No different than overlaying it on a plain old map picture.

There is no world-wide on-demand "zoom in on the event" thing for anyone, even the military.
  • sviking 141 Points
    The satellite imagery is most definitely not live, if that's what you're thinking. The position reported by the GPS locator would be, but it's just overlaid on whatever satellite imagery that's available commercially, similar to what you see on Google Earth. No different than overlaying it on a plain old map picture.

There is no world-wide on-demand "zoom in on the event" thing for anyone, even the military.
    Oh, really?