This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Audible Speed Alerts on GPS

qman 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I am looking for a GPS to help me control my speeding. I try not to speed too much, but I have a bit of a lead foot. I have heard there are GPSs out there that will make an audible warning after you are so many miles over the speed limit. I am a field tech so I am driving all the time often in places I am not familiar with and don't always catch the speed limits.

My primary features I am looking for is the audible speed warning and I would prefer a 5" screen. Can anybody make any recommendations?

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    I don't think any of the Garmin nuvi's do this. Many of the newer models give a visual alert (changing the color of the displayed speed to red) when you are over the speed limit. However, there is no audio alert and you can't set a threshold. Also, the visual alert only works when the map data contains speed limit information for the road you are driving on. Most major highways and many streets in the US have speed limit data, but not all of them.
  • dhn 336 Points
    A current tomtom with a 5" screen is the 1535 which gives a visual warning when going faster than allowed BUT will also give an audio warning when going faster than a user provided mph value.
  • qman 0 Points
    Thanks for the advice... That did end up getting the Tom Tom Via 1535 and it works great. The screen is easy to see and I have it set to audibly warn me if I go too fast. The speed indicator turns red once I go over and it starts making audible alerts at 5mph over. I also have it set to alert me as I am approaching school zones. It has everything I was looking for.
  • I am also looking for a unit that has audible warning. I have seen posts on other forums that say that this model is not ready for prime time! Have you had any problems with the unit? Did you get the TM unit?
    Thanks in advance.
  • AccessGuy 0 Points
    I recently purchased the Nokia Lumia 920 phone which comes with the free Nokia Drive app. This app allows you to set two custom audio alerts - one for under 50mph and one for over 50mph. I set mine at 4mph over the limit and 6mph over the limit respectively, but you are free to choose your own values of course. I like this feature much better than my Nuvi, which only changes color to red at 1mph over the current limit, with no audible alert. I think Nokia Drive is available on all Nokia phones with wp8. Here is a youtube review: