This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Faster update rate than 1Hz ?

SpeedyDave 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
First post, so hi to everyone on the forum :D

I'm interested in putting togeather a budget laptiming solution for motorsport use and so far the plan is to use a PDA with software from www.virtualcup.fr and suitable GPS.

I have a Windows PDA and a Holux 236 so with some relatively cheap software I'll have a basic solution. Downside is the update rate on the 236 is only 1Hz which is acceptable for laptimes (barely) but not going to give a very detailed route trace for corner & sector analysis.

Does anyone know where I can find a table of GPS features, particularly for compact bluetooth units?

I could buy a proprietry datalogger but they are quite expensive and I'd like to see how far I can get cooking up the cheapy solution first. A driftbox (www.driftbox.com) for example has a built in 10Hz GPS.

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I've got a table of Bluetooth GPS devices coming soon, but the frequency of data points is not something I've (so far) added to the chart. Most consumer level devices I know of track up to once per second max.
  • Thanks Tim, I guess I'll have to hunt down that info one by one. I don't hold high hopes of finding better than 1Hz as the manufacturers presumably consider 1Hz more than adequate for the intended audience and anything more a waste of battery.

If I do find better than 1Hz I'll make sure I post a follow up here.