First time buyer, need advice. Nuvi 3790/3490/3590

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase a GPS for my car some time in the near future. I'm currently comparing the Nuvi 3790, 3490, and 3590. I'd like to know what owners of these products would recommend.

A little info about my needs:
- I live in Canada, so I understand that the traffic info will likely be useless for me.
- I don't do a lot of road trips. Typically when I travel a long distance it is for a work trip or visiting friends in cities that I do not regularly drive in. So, my greatest priority is usually just getting to my destination without getting lost. (ie: I'm not looking to use the GPS for random sightseeing, so I don't care too much about knowing where all of the hotels and restaurants are...)

My biggest concerns:

- Which is better for GPS accuracy & giving good directions?
- Which unit has the most stable software (crashes/bugs/response speed to input/etc.)
- Which unit has the most user-friendly (intuitive, non-cluttered) interface?
- Support. I know the 3790 is old, so I assume it likely won't get updates/fixes much longer, if at all?

Other features are not as important to me, though they'd possibly help to sweeten the deal if people *actually* find them useful (ie: If they're not just marketing hype).

I've read comments in another thread comparing the 3790 to the 3490, and many people seemed to have the opinion that the 3790 is the better unit, even though it is older. But their opinion is partly based on the fact that they already HAVE the 3790. I'm wondering if they would still chose the 3790 if they did not currently have a GPS and wanted to buy one.

If current owners of these products had $400 to spend on a new GPS, which option would they pick:

(current prices from vendors in my area)
- Fancy new 3590 for $400
- Save a little and get the 3490 at $370
- Save a lot and get the 3790 at $270

Comments

• popej 57 Points
    I have 3760. I can force flashing of 34xx firmware and use it as 34xx. I'm still not decided, which option is better, I already have switched at least 3 times too and fro.

I have cheap nuvi 2340 too and I think that performance/price ratio is much better. Generally I wouldn't recommend Garmin top models, they are rather disappointing and don't bring improvements in essential navigations functions.
  • Nuvi 3590! If I had such spear money I would by that nuvi. I have seen this nuvi in one of the Garmin distributors here in Europe and I think this nuvi is brilliant! I couldn't find any difference in the software compared to nuvi 3490 but it looked more like a automotive navigator than a smartphone like nuvi 3490/3790. I don't like smart phones. It is bigger in screen and size and have very handy cradle with a button beneath for easy removing from the cradle. The screen was also very nice and it seems it was very hard to leave a scratch on it.
  • I have 3760. I can force flashing of 34xx firmware and use it as 34xx. I'm still not decided, which option is better, I already have switched at least 3 times too and fro.
    @popej - you almost convinced me to keep 3790lmt instead of going for more recent 3490 model.
    However final decision maker for me was the overall speed. When using both next to each other the 3490 was noticeably faster, like reaction to Voice commands, POI searches and many other tasks.
    I was just wondering if these two units shares same CPU or not. Looks like 3490 has a faster processor but it could be a software as well.
    so my question for you - when you switching firmwares on your 3790 to 3490 and back: did you notice any differences in speed?
    I just wish to combine these two into one solid performer...
  • popej 57 Points
    It is difficult to tell the difference without actually measuring time for different tasks and I haven't done any measurements. My only notice is that probably map drawing is slower on 34xx firmware.
  • It is difficult to tell the difference without actually measuring time for different tasks and I haven't done any measurements. My only notice is that probably map drawing is slower on 34xx firmware.
    So I guess, most likely it's not a software. it would be interesting to load 3790 firmware into 3490 and see how that goes...
  • Having had the 3790 since Dec 2010 I would say that through firmware updates Garmin appears to have worked out all the bugs finally. I've considered upgrading to the 3590 but I'm reluctant to do that until the firmware bugs are taken care of. It took about a year for the 3790. If I was to recommend one of the three it would be the 3790 for that reason.

My guess is that when it comes to choosing routes they all work on pretty much the same software.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    I wonder if the 3590 could be flashed with 3790 firmware? :)
  • popej 57 Points
    35xx doesn't share firmware with 34xx and most probably it has quite different hardware than 34xx and 37xx. I wouldn't expect any possibility to change 35xx into 37xx.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    That's interesting. Does it have a faster CPU, more RAM? Users have reported that it seems functionally identical to the 3400 series.