Reputable source for replacement battery for Nuvi 760

I still love my 760, but the battery isn't holding a charge very long.

There are lots of sellers available via google for a replacement battery, but I'd rather take a suggestion from one of 'us' rather than a site which has potentially shill reviewers.

All the sources seem to have a cost of around $25 or so; can someone point out a vendor they may have used or liked?

Thanks

Andrew

Comments

• dhn 201 Points
    I haven't used this site but have referred others to it:

http://www.batteryship.com/
  • alanb 210 Points
    I just replaced the battery in my 3 1/2 year old 755T with a battery from e-Bay. It was only $6.65 with free shipping, and seems to work great. Shipping took less than a week.

The battery package says it is also compatible with the 760. You can find it if you go to eBay and search for "1250mAh Battery for GPS Garmin Nuvi 760T 765T 770 775T". The seller ID is accstation.
  • s2800021 0 Points
    I got my replacement battery for my 760 from Amazon. It cost US$16+ free transport and installation is easy if you have the right screwdriver. The battery is pre-charged and the set has been working fine. :D
  • Ordered the $23 Amazon 'kit' rather than just the battery. I don't have a T4/T5 torx screwdriver and their shim is likely better than anything I can jury-rig to get the case open.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll post back on my success/failure.

Andrew
  • Battery arrived as expected (slightly slower shipping than I thought - another Amazon order placed at the same time arrived two days earlier).

Pouch contained a DVD video, a pry tool, a yellow torx screw driver and a second, black screw driver which was not used or referenced in the video.

The video clealy described and illustrated the screw removal, how to pry the case open, the two internal connectors and using the pry tool to remove the old battery.

My batter was so tightly glued down I needed a metal screw driver (not a good idea around a soft sided battery).

The video shows/states to use double sided tape to hold the new battery in place. The kit doesn't contain double sided tape which I believe is a shortcoming (although expected given the contents description) the company should rectify - I don't know that everyone has a roll of double sided tape in the right thickness and width sitting on shelves. Given that only a two inch strip is required it's also not worth getting a whole roll. I ended up using blue painters tape.

Reconnected the two internal leads and sealed up the unit and it powered on.

Will wait and see if it holds a charge as well as the original when new, but so far I'm very pleased. Less than half the price Garmin wanted (and that price may have only been for review as opposed to actually replacing the battery), and I didn't have to ship my unit off and lose use of it in the interim.

Had I ordered a bare battery I would have likely ended up in troble - there are videos on doing the replacement, but I don't have tiny torx screwdrivers and I have nothing which would pry the case open without damage.

Will post back on the battery life time, but unless it dies in 20 minutes after charging I'm a happy camper.

Andrew
  • It might take a few charge/discharge cycles for it to reach full capacity. I recently bought a 3rd-party battery for my cell phone (batteries from Verizon were more than the phone was worth). I was initially disappointed with it, but it gained a bit of capacity with each charge, and now it's as good as the original when it was new.
  • Had weird problem, but seems all fixed. now.

The 760 began locking up over the weekend. I would push the home button, for example, and it would start calculating and then lock up. Or I would be driving and it would freeze.

Ended up doing a full factory reset and updated the firmware (glad my father in law had a micro usb cabel - surprise!) or I would have had a fun drive home.

Now it seems to be working fine. I have no idea if this is/was battery induced or just coincidental; I just don't believe in coincidence.

Andrew
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    glad my father in law had a micro usb cabel - surprise!
    I think the 760 uses a mini-USB cable, doesn't it? The newest models use micro USB, or at least my 3790 does. :)

Anyway, glad you got it working.
  • OldJoe 0 Points
    Had weird problem, but seems all fixed. now.

The 760 began locking up over the weekend. I would push the home button, for example, and it would start calculating and then lock up. Or I would be driving and it would freeze.

Ended up doing a full factory reset and updated the firmware (glad my father in law had a micro usb cabel - surprise!) or I would have had a fun drive home.

Now it seems to be working fine. I have no idea if this is/was battery induced or just coincidental; I just don't believe in coincidence.

Andrew
    Andy,
    Had EXACTLY the same problem.
    Did the reset thing, updated the firmware, it appears to be working.
    I'm now charging it using a (real) Garmin wall charger.
    Hope the issue is resolved, it's a bummer to have the thing freeze or turn off in 20 seconds, and have to use MAPS! (Oh No!!!)

P.S. Not sure if it's going to tell me when the battery is fully charged, I have the 760 turned off, happily charging.
    P.P.S> Have the 760 since 2008, I hope the battery is still OK. Will find out how long a charge lasts - or if it holds a charge. I do have it plugged into the cigarette lighter when driving.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    P.S. Not sure if it's going to tell me when the battery is fully charged, I have the 760 turned off, happily charging.
    I don't think it ever will. I believe the last nuvi to display the "Battery Charging Complete" message was the 3xx/6xx series. No other newer unit that I know of displays it...not even the top-of-the-line units. :roll:
  • t923347 208 Points
    Also you maybe lucky if the battery will still work properly. I got my 760 about the same time you did and haven't used it for some time. It works fine plugged in to the car adapter but running on battery I get between 5 and 10 MINUTES out of a fully charged battery. :cry:
  • OldJoe 0 Points
    t9,
    You're absolurly correct :(
    Charged it overnight (power off, wall charger) turned it on this morning (running on battery) went from full to 2 bars in 10 minutes or so.
    Don't have time to screw around, so I'm shipping it to NewPower99 have them install a new battery.
    Suppose I could do it myself, but don't have the time, nor the desire
    (At least I know the 760 is OK, no other problems)
  • willyboy 46 Points
    I don't think it ever will. I believe the last nuvi to display the "Battery Charging Complete" message was the 3xx/6xx series. No other newer unit that I know of displays it...not even the top-of-the-line units. :roll:
    On my 2460LMT, if I use a Garmin OEM wall charger plugged into the power cradle, and the 2460 is mounted, I do get a "charging complete" message if left long enough. I also get the message after a shutdown when plugged into the cigarette lighter power source and connected for awhile.

Something to ponder, I wonder if the reason is that the unit is fairly new and the battery has the ability to get a full charge, whereas older batteries may not be capable of fully charging, therefore no message.
  • t923347 208 Points
    On most of the models that don't ever say that the battery is fully charged (and there are lots of them), you can go into the diagnostic screen and there is a battery fully charged readout there, so I don't think it's an issue with the battery not being able to charge fully. It is an issue with Garmin not displaying the fully charged message since the 3xx/6xx models for what ever reason they came up with to justify the change.