This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

BaseCamp vs Mapsource

2»

Comments

• truckinguy 115 Points
    I hooked up the Nuvi 2460. Nothing showed in the "My Collection" but it showed in "Devices. I click on show routes and nothing. I have 5 routes in the Nuvi.
    If I click on a way point that does show in the left column under "lists" the category I made for it shows but now where in the left columns shows this they are all just in Alphabetical order... I have 300 of them and all have different categories..
    I'm trying to give it a chance but it seems very hard to get it to do like MS does.
  • popej 57 Points
    You don't have routes in nuvi, you have trips. No program on PC understands trips.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    @popej

Well not 'routes' on that model anyway :wink:

@ the OP

However the rest should work as I've described. Note that the device will appear as a separate device, to copy it to appear in My Collection just drag and drop the All data file from the device into My Collection. It should then appear with lists as shown in my post above, with lists = categories on your nuvi.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Note that you cannot simply copy maps from your computer to a device or vice versa; the format is different. A gmapi 'file' (actually it is a folder) is meant to be used on your computer. An img file on your device can be made visible to BaseCamp with JaVaWa Device Manager, but it has to stay on the device (or on a memorystick in the folder 'Garmin'). Maps can be transferred from your computer to your device with MapInstall, but not the other way around.

As for MapConverter: it cannot convert separate img files, but only complete file sets that comprise of several img files, a tdb file, and optionally typ/mdx/trf file(s), just like those that are installed on a Windows PC.
    To add to this I've just used this excellent program:

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

to transfer downloaded Garmin maps from my desktop running Windows XP to my laptop running Win7. All worked without a hitch and Basecamp on the laptop can now read all my old map files.
  • You don't have routes in nuvi, you have trips. No program on PC understands trips.
    Odd. I created a route in MapSource and sucessfully sent to to my Nuvi 3790 the other day. It must somehow convert it to a "Trip".

BaseCamp can't do this?
  • t923347 432 Points
    Don't think popej said you "couldn't" send a route, just that you don't have routes on the newer Nuvi's but you have Trips.

For a long time you couldn't send a route to the 3790 but at least a year after it was first released Garmin issued a firmware update which allowed you to send a Route from Mapsource (and Basecamp as far as I know) to that GPS. It does always show up as a Trip.
  • OK ya I did just find how to transfer a simple route from Basecamp to the Nuvi 3790. However it appears that Basecamp isn't smart enough to create a route with a via. It can only do Start/Destination. That makes the whole exercise pretty pointless.

MapSource can transfer a multi-via route (trip) to the 3790.
  • Well.... so far I'd have to say that I don't see that I have any use for Basecamp.

My uses for Mapsource:

1: I save a copy of my waypoints in case I have to wipe the Nuvi clean and need to recover them.
    2: I view and save tracks from various trips (excursions) not to be confused with a route (trip) in the new Garmin lingo....
    3: I can create a multi-via route (Trip) and send it to the Nuvi
    4: Just browse the map
    5: I cull my waypoints from time to time by making a copy in MapSource, wiping the Nuvi clean of waypoints, cull the copy and send it all back to the nuvi.

As for Basecamp.

1: it can do 1 above
    2: it can do 2 above
    3: It can't create a multi-via route (Trip)
    4: I can browse the map
    5: I was hoping that since Basecamp shows live what's on the Nuvi I could cull unused waypoints from the Nuvi durectly in Basecamp but it appears that Basecamp will not allow this.

So my conclusion is that at this time Basecamp is less useful than Mapsource and has not one single advantage.

Is this pretty much the case?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Certainly seems that for your use Mapsource is better :wink:

Note though that it's not Basecamp that won't allow you to manipulate waypoints etc on the nuvi, it's the nuvi that prevents Basecamp from doing it. Basecamp can do what you describe on the more recent Garmin handhelds :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited April 2012
    My uses for Mapsource: ...

As for Basecamp...
    I may be misunderstanding your point, but you can create multipoint routes with via points in both Mapsource and Basecamp. And you can send the route to a nuvi that supports the multipoint route. When you are familiar with Mapsource, the route editing tools in Basecamp do take a little getting used to. But I have been able to successfully create and send multipoint routes from Basecamp to both of my nuvi's. I don't have any experience with the newer nuvi's with Trip Planner, but I think it should work for them too.
    My uses for Mapsource: ...

As for Basecamp...
    I may be misunderstanding your point, but you can create multipoint routes with via points in both Mapsource and Basecamp. And you can send the route to a nuvi that supports the multipoint route. When you are familiar with Mapsource, the route eciting tools in Basecamp do take a little getting used to. But I have been able to successfully create and send multipoint routes from Basecamp to both of my nuvi's. I don't have any experience with the newer nuvi's with Trip Planner, but I think it should work for them too.
    It doesn't appear to work for me. When the diolog box opens for me to drag my start and finish waypoints into the two boxes, I drag a start and a finish and it automatically creates a route (trip) from start to finish and provides me with no opportunity to edit or add vias.

Edit: with the Nuvi 3790.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Once you have created and saved the basic route with a Start and Finish, highlight it in the navigation tree in the left pane. You can then grab the point insert tool (the pencil icon). Click on the start point on the map and you can "rubber band" to the first via point. Repeat this for other via points and you will have a multi-point route. :)
  • Once you have created and saved the basic route with a Start and Finish, highlight it in the navigation tree in the left pane. You can then grab the point insert tool (the pencil icon). Click on the start point on the map and you can "rubber band" to the first via point. Repeat this for other via points and you will have a multi-point route. :)
    Interesting. I tried. It's real easy to make a very screwed up looking route. Perhaps it takes practice. I think I prefer the waypoint to waypoint method. But I suppose it can do it.
  • alanb 539 Points
    There are other ways to edit the route. For example, you can double click on the route in the left pane which will give you a list of the vias. You can then reorder them, insert waypoints as additional vias, recalculate, etc. I am not saying that Basecamp routing is as full featured as Mapsource, but like any software, it takes some practice to figure out how to use the tools it has.
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    I have tried to get BC to show the way points (favorites) categories like MS shows and have given up.
    I'll stick with MS for now for my uses its very easy to use and does a good job with routes,itemizing favorites and transferring them to Nuvi's.
    I have tried what you guys recommend in the above posts but no matter what I do I can't seem to get them to show and or organize.
    I've used GPS programs since 1996 NG topos,Delorme,NavTech on and on so I'm not inexperienced with gps transfers or organizing and I find BC really Hoaky for my needs now with these Nuvis' I have.
    I just hope MS keeps working with Nuvi's for the upcoming years ahead.
  • SkipD 91 Points
    While it is not obvious HOW to add a waypoint to a route in BaseCamp, it can be done quite easily once you understand their tools.

To start - double click on the route (in the list that has waypoints and routes). You will now see a popup window with the route that you've already created.

To add a waypoint to the route, click on the "+" (the green plus mark) at the right of the route window. The "+" is the "insert waypoint" tool. A new window with a list of your waypoints will pop up. Click on a waypoint in the new window and then click on the "insert waypoint" button at the bottom of the window. Then, you'll need to click on the new waypoint in the route and use the "up arrow" or "down arrow" tools (above and below the green plus mark) to position the new waypoint in the route where it belongs .

BaseCamp is quite powerful but, in my opinion, the folks who are writing the program have failed miserably in making BaseCamp user friendly.
  • Hello,

Want to ask a question. Can custom avoidances be set in Basecamp? Those can be set in MS under Edit -> Preferences -> Routing -> Advance but I just can't find such setting in BC. :?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I don't believe there is one ... but you could ask here:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp
  • Thank you sussamb. :) I thought the same but thought I could be missing something.
  • Andy 0 Points
    Click Activity Profile Tab e.g. Driving, Motorcycling etc. and click "Edit Activity Profile". Click the green + and create your own profile, click on "Routing" tab to change avoidance options etc.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yes you can set routing options on both the standard profiles and those you create, but that wasn't what was being asked over 18 months ago.