This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

problem entering coordinates Triton 400

TerryS 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Handheld Forum
my Triton 400 will only accept 7 digits and the gps coordinates are 8 digits. what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Boyd 1724 Points
    Make sure your Triton is set to the same coordinate format as the data that you're trying to enter. You should find several options in the menus for this - degrees-minutes-seconds, degrees or decimal minutes, decimal degrees. But if you're sure that it's already set to the correct format, then just enter the first 7 digits. :)

Otherwise, it would probably help us to understand the problem if you posted a specific example of what you're trying to enter, and what the Triton is showing.
  • TerryS 0 Points
    thanks boyd for answering so quickly, I appreciate it very much.
    in view I selected settings, then navigation, then under coordinate system I have Lat/Long selected. highlighting that I have Deg/min/sec selected. then I backed out to create and selected coordinates. Triton shows 31degrees 57minutes and 32secs (31 57 32 N). when I highlight it and press enter a screen appears with a dial pad, I clicked on this symbol < which allows me to change the coords. the coords I want to enter are: 33 50' 54.08"N. so I enter 33deg50'54 it wont allow me to enter 54.08, after i enter 54 the cursor just moves past the " symbol and rests in front of N. what am I doing wrong?
  • Boyd 1724 Points
    I just fired up my Triton 1500, which I haven't used for a very long time. :)

You are correct, when you set the device to degrees-minutes-seconds, there is no option to enter decimal seconds. So the best you can do will be to round the coordinates off to the nearest second (33 50' 54").

You could get a little more precision using decimal minutes because you can enter 1/100th of a minute whereas a second is only 1/60th of a minute. In other words, 54.08/60 = .90133, and using decimal minutes you could enter 33 50.901'

On my Garmin GPSMap 60csx I can do a little better, it allows one decimal place in d/m/s mode so you could enter 33 50' 54.1". Too lazy to go out to the car and try the same thing on my Garmin Montana, but I'm pretty sure it's the same on all Garmin units.
  • TerryS 0 Points
    I will tinker and dink around with it. I see what your saying, actually starting to make sense to me through your suggestions. And again thanks for your assistance.