This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Oregon 450

Hi, if I buy 2 oregon 450's, can I buy one map and load on both units? Or do I have to buy 2 seperate maps one for each unit?

Thanks
Randy

Comments

• Boyd 1703 Points
    What map? If you purchase the DVD version of US Topo 100k or any of the 24k topos, you can install them on all the GPS units you own. If you purchase the SD card versions, the card can be used in any unit but only one at a time because they cannot be copied. If you purchase the download version of these maps, they will be locked to the first unit you install them on.

Now if you purchase City Navigator, the DVD and download versions will be locked to the first unit you install them on. The SD card version will work in any unit but cannot be copied, so you could only use it on one at a time.
  • randydan 0 Points
    Boyd, thanks for the info. I'm sorry I didn't clarify, the map, topo. I want to purchase 2 oregon 450's and install the topo on both.

Would it be benifical to get the 450t over the 450's? Right now I see there is only $50 more per unit for the 450t. Maybe that would be the smarter thing to do, since the 450t is already loaded.

Thanks

Randy
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    If you want the 100k topo, then I'd say the extra $50 is a good deal. Those maps aren't all that good (I have been using them for maybe 10 years and also owned an Oregon 400t for over 3 years). You will find roads and other features that are hundreds of feet away from where they should be.

But it's also nice to have coverage for the whole US onboard. And as a bonus, the 450t has more internal memory (the full US map is ~3GB).

There's another wrinkle to consider though. With the DVD version of US Topo, you cannot install the full US on your GPS. This has to do with the size "tile" that the map is broken down into. There are about 6,600 map tiles in US Topo, but the Oregon can only display 4,000 tiles total.

The pre-installed map on the 450t uses much larger tiles than the DVD version. The SD card and download versions also use larger map tiles (only about 400 tiles for the whole US). However, those maps couldn't be shared on two devices.

You might want to visit GPSFileDepot.com and look at the free user-contributed maps before buying the Garmin topo products too.
  • randydan 0 Points
    Thank again. Don't you just love that I do this all backwards, maybe I should start from the begining.

I already have a Magellian explorists 400. I want something newer and bigger and color.

I trail ride on logging roads in California and also in Oregon. I want two ubits one for each ATV. I have decided on Garmin Oregon450 or 450T. Nice screen and my price range. (unless someone recommends something else that would be more useful, for my application)

I'm looking for a compass, and a breadcrumb trail back to the truck. I also take a hard copy map with me also. I don't use many waypoints or save routes.

Also, I use a Mac computer.

I like the oregon models because of touch screen and size of screen.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to get, I'm all ears

Thanks again

Randy
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    The Oregon really offers a lot of bang for the buck, especially if you can catch a sale. It has become very popular so you can't go too wrong with it.

However, take a look at the Montana 600 (if you can afford it). Screen is bigger, brighter and higher resolution. It has many advanced features that no other models have. Maybe you could get a Montana for one ATV and an Oregon for the other.

The Montana user interface is very similar to the Oregon, but with additional features. For example, you can use it in either landscape or portrait modes. The screen is just beautiful though. I use mine in both the car and on the trail, and it would be ideal for an ATV if it isn't too expensive for you.

Garmin has Mac versions of all their software, so you really shouldn't have a problem there. But if you purchase maps on disk from a third party seller, be sure you are getting the new, multi-platform version. Old versions of US Topo were Windows only, and although they can be converted, it will be a pain for you.
  • randydan 0 Points
    Thanks again Boyd, you really know your stuff and full lots of knowledge. I will look into the Montana for one and an Oregon for the other. I will post back and let you know my decision.

Thanks again

Randy
  • babj615 41 Points
    I just have to chime in and say I own three Oregons, a Dakota, and a Montana. The Oregons and Dakota barely ever get touched. Barely.

Yes, the Montana is more $$$, but far more feature rich.

Of course, if you're not wanting all those extra features, the Oregon 450/450t is the best bang for the buck!

I also agree, the included 100K Topo is really bad, but you can, and should, make complete backups of the units before doing anything else. Then install any new maps you want!
  • sviking 141 Points

There's another wrinkle to consider though. With the DVD version of US Topo, you cannot install the full US on your GPS. This has to do with the size "tile" that the map is broken down into. There are about 6,600 map tiles in US Topo, but the Oregon can only display 4,000 tiles total
    Still better than the 2025 limit on my 60CSx. Have to break it into four files and I can't even select the map on the unit itself. Have to rename it via a computer or something. :roll:

I'm guessing 100K TOPO will it all fit in one file on the Montana?
  • sviking 141 Points

I also agree, the included 100K Topo is really bad, but you can, and should, make complete backups of the units before doing anything else. Then install any new maps you want!
    Yes, that 100K TOPO map sucks. If I had a Montana, I'd be diggin' on the satellite imagery subscription anyway. :wink:
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    I have never seen a spec, but "assumed" the Montana has a 4,000 tile limit like all the other newer handhelds. So you could only load 2/3 of the US. But really, if you really want the full US topo you should buy the download or SD card version. They only have ~450 tiles, so that leaves capacity for a lot of other maps. Since I haven't ever used those formats, I'm not sure if the download/SD versions are locked to a specific unit, but I'm willing to bet they are.

You're right, the Montana screen is great - especially for aerial imagery that looks "muddier" on the Oregon. Also, if you want to make your own "custom maps" (raster imagery) the Montana has a big advantage. It allows 500 map tiles vs a 100 tile limit on all of Garmin's other models.

So, for example, if you used 1 foot/pixel source imagery you could only cover 1.9 miles x 1.9 miles on the Oregon, 62s or eTrex 30. But on the Montana you could cover 4.3 miles x 4.3 miles
  • sviking 141 Points
    I have never seen a spec, but "assumed" the Montana has a 4,000 tile limit like all the other newer handhelds. So you could only load 2/3 of the US. But really, if you really want the full US topo you should buy the download or SD card version. They only have ~450 tiles, so that leaves capacity for a lot of other maps. Since I haven't ever used those formats, I'm not sure if the download/SD versions are locked to a specific unit, but I'm willing to bet they are.
    I already have it on DVD. The downloaded version is locked to a unit. The SD card is not. You can put it in any compatible unit. But, if you lose or damage it...you're SOL... No free replacement of any kind.
    So, for example, if you used 1 foot/pixel source imagery you could only cover 1.9 miles x 1.9 miles on the Oregon, 62s or eTrex 30. But on the Montana you could cover 4.3 miles x 4.3 miles
    So, I couldn't put an entire state of sat imagery on it?
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    I was talking about maps you make yourself, which Garmin has intentionally limited in size. Don't confuse that with Birdseye, which is (for all practical purposes) only limited by the size of your SD card. We discussed this in our big Birdseye thread.
    Hi Boyd. How big of a state are you covering with a 4 GB card?
    State? Haha very funny.

I have given you the rough numbers in my post. Figure 300 square miles per gigabyte for highest quality and 900 square miles per gig for high quality. These are just rough estimates. You can do your own tests too.

Now do a google search for the size of different states. You will see that Rhode Island is about 1,500 square miles. So you probably couldn't fit all of that on a 4GB card at highest quality.
    Well that was fun Boyd. Just crunching the numbers comes up to an SD card for Minnesota of about 250 GB. You got one in your pocket? Thanks, Bud
    :D
  • sviking 141 Points
    Thanks for the thread link. I'd like to be able to put all of Arizona from Birdseye on an SD card. From what I understand, you get to keep everything you get even if you let your subscription expire. Is that correct?
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    Yes. In fact, I gave my Oregon to a friend along with a 16GB card full of expired Birdseye from two years ago. I told him not to register the unit in his own name as long as he wanted to continue using that imagery.

I'm not sure if that really would have mattered anyway, but better safe than sorry. However, you can move the imagery to another GPS without actually downloading again. That's what I did when I got my Montana. I then subscribed again and was able to unlock the Oregon files on the Montana.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Yes. In fact, I gave my Oregon to a friend along with a 16GB card full of expired Birdseye from two years ago. I told him not to register the unit in his own name as long as he wanted to continue using that imagery.
    About how much "land mass" was 16gb?
    I'm not sure if that really would have mattered anyway, but better safe than sorry. However, you can move the imagery to another GPS without actually downloading again. That's what I did when I got my Montana. I then subscribed again and was able to unlock the Oregon files on the Montana.
    So, anything you download gets locked to a single unit?
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    I posted the numbers above - 300 square miles per GB, so 16x300=4800 sq miles. But the formatted capacity of a 16GB card is actually less than 15GB IIRC, so let's say 4500 square miles. My own little state of NJ is about 9,000 square miles. CT is 5,500 sq miles, so you couldn't quite fit all of that.

Remember, this is imagery at 2 ft per pixel resolution. So you are talking about a LOT of data.

Yes, Birdseye is just like City Navigator. Only one device per subscription.
  • sviking 141 Points

Yes, Birdseye is just like City Navigator. Only one device per subscription.
    Thanks for the info. I was just reading some Montana reviews and someone complained about the screen staying on indefinitely if you have it locked which, obviously, kills the battery. Is this true? I can't possibly believe there isn't a way to set the back light timer. My touchscreen 3790 has a way to do it. So does my old 60CSx...
  • Boyd 1703 Points
    I never saw that happen on my Montana. But I have it clipped to my belt loop with the screen facing out and don't use the lock much anymore.