The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Problems updating software on Nuvi 2595LMT

Hi folks... My Nuvi 2595LMT just arrived, and I'm excited about getting on the road with it. I successfully connected to MyDashboard and registered. I successfully downloaded and installed Garmin Lifetime Updater and managed to update the maps which took several hours. At that point everything was good. But I've run into a problem trying to update the software, and I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help.

I wrote Garmin, but getting support from them can sometimes be tedious. So I thought I'd run this past you folks here. This is what I wrote to Garmin:
--------------------

After updating the maps, I connected to MyDashboard. MyDashboard prompted me to update the Nuvi software. MyDashboard connected with the Nuvi and uploaded the software update which took just a couple minutes.

Then I got a message on how to proceed. I'll attach a screen capture graphic of the message. I then:

1. Disconnected the Nuvi.

2. Manually started the NUVI

3. I waited a few of minutes and got a couple screens where I agreed to issues presented to complete the installation.

4. After the Nuvi booted fully to its default screen, I shut it down.

5. I then connected the Nuvi to the USB port and waited 30 seconds.

But the Nuvi never turned itself back on to complete the process as detailed in the instructions.

I manually started the Nuvi, and was presented with the same screens I originally got after installing the software to complete the installation process.

When I connected to MyDashboard again, it told me I needed to update the software again. So I clicked OK to try installing again.

But that time it didn't really download anything. In a split second I got the same message on proceeding that I'm attaching to this email.

I ended up going in circles over and over repeating the same steps, disconnecting, manually restarting, agreeing to the screens for completing the software update, and connecting to MyDashboard which always tells me I need to update my software.

After a couple hours trying to resolve the issue myself, the Nuvi did eventually did wake itself up after shutting it down and reconnecting it to the computer. MyDashboard then did find it, but still tells me to update the software.

I eventually stopped getting the message at boot asking me to agree to complete the software installation, and am now only presented with a warning about using the GPS while driving. What do I need to do to resolve this issue?

Thank you kindly for your support.

Comments

• The myDashboard method of updating your nuvi is not the preferred method because 1) it doesn't tell you what it updated, and 2) it sometimes says there are updates when there are none. Garmin gives us another method to update called Webupdater. This is discussed in a thread in the Sticky section of the forum. You will find it here: myDashboard vs WebUpdater...which should I use?
  • I would add, that Garmin Lifetime Updater is not the preferred method to update maps. You can feel lucky, that you successfully updated maps, with a minor annoyance like wasting some time.
  • Wow... thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I wish there was someone at Garmin like Steve Jobs who could design products that are user friendly. Things with Garmin are so muddled. There is no easy to find info on their products or website telling me either the size of the Nuvi's internal memory size, or how large an SD memory card it will support. I did track that info down. But I still have no idea how much memory added maps will comsume.

I was just 'following the bouncing ball' as I unpacked the Nuvi and did what I assumed (u&me?) was the recommended path to take. But again, this isn't Apple (even if I'm a MS PC guy).

I'll have a look at the sticky on WebUpdater and see if I can get this issue resolved.

Thanks again guys.

Edit: I'm impressed that Garmin responded to my email quickly too. In the past I've spent ages on the phone waiting for a support person. Here's what they wrote... and I checked... I DO have software version: 6.20.
    ---------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I would be glad to assist you with this. After the unit loads to the main menu (where to, view map), the software update is technically done. The only reason you would connect the device back to the computer, would be to have the website inform you the update was successful. In order to verify the software was updated properly, please follow the steps below.

Power the unit on
    Touch Settings
    Scroll down
    Touch Device
    Touch About

The software version should be: 6.20.

When using myDashboard to update system software, it will also continually check for additional updates such as: text, help, and voice files. These are non-essential updates, and do not need to be completed. This is why you are constantly told that there is an available update when you reconnect the device. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
  • But I still have no idea how much memory added maps will comsume.
    If your talking about just updating the maps that came preinstalled on your Nuvi then the answer is not a huge amount. Each map update is larger than the last one but since the old maps are deleted and replaced with the new ones, your storage requirements are only increasing by the difference in the size of the 2 map files. Similarly, the new Junction View file will be bigger than the old one but again it's a "replace" operation.
  • Actually I want to add the Bicimapas GPS Maps of Mexico ... and at some point might want to add maps for Europe. But I can't find any info on how much memory is required for those maps. And as I said, it was a while before I tracked down the 8GB internal memory size on the Nuvi 2595LMT... as well as the 16GB upper end memory size limit the Nuvi can handle.
  • Ok I am feeling stupid I have down loaded the webupdater no issues flew thru it.. I cannot find now how to start it ?? I see no program installed no icon and no add ons to fire fox?? I have looked for an answer cannot come up with any because it is probably so simple no one needs to tell how :D so can some one draw me a picture??
  • Should be under Start, All Programs, Garmin :wink:
  • If by chance the shortcut is not present on the start menu as sussamb indicated, you can find it in two ways.

If using Windows, do a file search and look for webupdater.exe and it will show you where the file is located. Then just double left click on it and it will open.

It should be in the folder C:\ProgramFiles\Garmin\WebUpdater\WebUpdater.exe.
    Once located you can always RIGHT click on the webupdater.exe, then choose send to, then select Desktop (create shortcut). This will put a shortcut on your desktop to open the program.
  • In Windows 8 and Windows 7 you'll find it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\WebUpdater

You should be able to press the Start key, type webupdater and press enter to run it :)