This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Why are CNNANT maps getting so big?

Just compared a few versions of City Navigator NA in MapSource.

It was 1.02 GB in 2009
It was 1.13 GB in 2010.3
It is 1.47 GB in 2012.4

Certainly the US and Canada haven't added 45% more roads since 2008, so where's the extra file size coming from?

Comments

• Boyd 1987 Points
    I suspect that lane assist and speed limits are one factor as I know coverage of these is constantly expanding (especially in Canada). Based on comments here in the past, I also gather they have added a lot of streets to some of the smaller towns in Canada. Would be interesting to compare just the US maps and see how much Canadian coverage is increasing.

Then there's also trafficTrends data, which is only used on some devices. Not sure if this is only included in the map for the device itself or also in the .img files on your computer.

Maybe Popej will come along with some insights, like he often does. :)
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Yeah, I was kind of hoping for some Papal intervention here, but I thought the lane assist info was in a separate file, or is that just junction view? Also, aren't speed limits data like the highway class I use in GPSmapedit (always built in, but not expressed until later Nuvis could extract the data) , or are they a different data type?

Off topic. Do those green arcs next to your name mean you're a moderator or that you're on line?
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Lane assist is part of the map itself, junction view is a separate (.jcv) file. I am not sure about speed limits. I think they are different from the speeds in cgpsmapper, since those don't appear like the little speed limit icon. I think the speed limits have been confirmed in the field by the cruising Navteq van, where the other kind is just an educated guess for use in calculating arrival times, based on the road class.

I believe the "green arcs" signify long time members who share their knowledge and help others (although I am also a mod :)).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Green arcs? Where? 8)
  • Seldom 0 Points
    Green arcs? Where? 8)
    I see them all the time over Area 51. :mrgreen:
  • popej 57 Points
    I think that map simply cover more area with more detailed data. Now there is included Mexico and French Guiana and probably address data is much improved.

You can try to compare, old map viewers are still accessible:
    City Navigator North America 2009
    City Navigator North America NT 2012.40

Lane assistant and speed limits increase map size too, but difficult to tell how big is this contribution. Probably this data doesn't take much space.

Cgpsmapper can't create LA or speed limits, this could be a feature of NT maps.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    I think that map simply cover more area with more detailed data. Now there is included Mexico and French Guiana and probably address data is much improved....
    Lane assistant and speed limits increase map size too, but difficult to tell how big is this contribution. Probably this data doesn't take much space.
    Must be the lane assist and added data like speed limits. Mexico is not selectable as part of my numaps Lifetime update. The Cayman Islands and French Guiana are :? , but I only included the US and Canada in my comparisons.
  • Boyd 1987 Points
    Also there are "building footprints" when you zoom way in on major downtown areas. I was noticing these driving around New York last week and there are really a lot of them. I don't think they display in Mapsource (or do they?). The first time I saw them was on my Nuvi 5000.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I believe the "green arcs" signify long time members who share their knowledge and help others (although I am also a mod :)).
    That is a good way to put it. They identify members who spend a lot of time here and whose answers are almost always right on the mark, helpful, and thorough.