This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can Nuvi 3590 SPEAK "Recalculating"?

I just received the newest Nuvi, a 3590, and find that it does NOT SPEAK the word "Recalculating:" Instead, it just automatically makes the route correction, but without letting me know about it.

I am hoping that the creator of the TTSvoiceeditor (TurboCCC) will respond here, with some advice for my plight. I have looked at the 3590 Voice File, and confirmed that line 68 does still contain the word "recalculating," but don't know how to make this new 3590 actually SPEAK it.

I have previously enjoyed having the word "Recalculating" on my Nuvi 855: I find it very useful when I have made a wrong turn, to HEAR my Nuvi let me know that has happened...and that it is "Recalculating" and providing me a corrected route. [Actually, I have been using a substitute phrase, created with the TTSvoiceeditor, on my previous Nuvi 855...but the effect is the same as "Recalculating."]

Without the obnoxious VERBAL notification of "Recalculating," in the future when I miss a turn, I may not realize WHY I am being rerouted. Yes, the 3590 will automatically re-route me, but I won't necessarily understand why I am suddenly having to make multiple turns (or a U-turn). Thus, I WANT to know for CERTAIN when I have made a turn mistake...and then CONFIRM that I am on the correct route.

Otherwise, I might never realize how often I am making turn mistakes. I know that in the past there have been countless times where I goofed at an intersection, and have really appreciated knowing it...and understanding the need for a "recalculative" correction.

Perhaps my quest is hopeless...and I will just have to get used to the new way of Nuvi doing things. I just got the 3590 two days ago, and have not substantially tested much out yet, but I do believe that I this will turn out to be a superb GPS, given all of its features and design: I look forward to posting lots of (hopefully) good reports about it in the near future.

Thanks in advance to TurboCCC for (hopefully) addressing this issue.

Comments

• I don't know what TTSvoiceeditor (TurboCCC) is but... have you tried a different regional language? My 3790 has US English, British English and Australian English, both boy and girl. Is it possible that the one you have set it on has a bug but a different one will not?

The 3790 does say "recalculating" by they way. One of the "languages", I've forgotten which, says it as if it was such a sad imposition to have to recalculate. It made the kids laugh. It reminded them of the emotional computer voice in Star Trek TOS Tomorrow is Yesterday when she said "computed".
  • nuvifan 109 Points
    crazyfingers,

I would be stunned if one of the other languages on the 3590 actually SPEAKS the word recalculating. In fact, I believe that I read in one of Garmin's FAQs about the unit (there are about 200 FAQs for it; and Yes, I just read every one!), that the word "recalculating" has specifically been removed. I am sure that this was in response to most persons finding it very annoying, and long posting complaints about it in GPS forums. For the record, I enjoy using the default American English voice of "Jill."

Garmin probably intended to do its customers a big favor by removing the word "recalculating;" instead, it should have left it as a simple, customizable option. And THAT option is exactly what I am hoping to restore.

[NOTE: In the "big favor department," I was amazed to see that this Nuvi finally incorporates the name/number of Upcoming Streets, in the top green line of the Map Display. This now displays whenever the driver is NOT on a route. This has been a subject of innumerable online complaints for at least three years; older Nuvis will only display the name/number of the street or highway you are CURRENTLY driving on (when NOT on a route). My guess is that this new feature also exists on the 3400 series.]

I just couldn't help but add the above NOTE: I hope to find lots of other significant improvements in this newest unit...and writing about them here!
  • Interesting. I think that "recalculating" notice is useful and I would prefer that it stay in.
  • For the record, I enjoy using the default American English voice of "Jill."
    I keep it on Danial because my wife complains when I listen to what another woman says.
  • Billw439 0 Points
    Have you tried different voices. Some speak more words than others.
  • Seldom 0 Points
    For the record, I enjoy using the default American English voice of "Jill."

I keep it on Danial because my wife complains when I listen to what another woman says.
    That would be a good subject for a poll :wink: .
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I keep mine on mute because I don't like a computer telling me what to do. :twisted:
  • t923347 432 Points
    Ditto. :wink:
  • Just as an FYI, my recently purchased 2595 does not say "recalculating". My 255 did; I don't miss it at all. It wouldn't be so bad if it just said it ONCE. But it was over and over, NAG NAG NAG, the entire time it was figuring out the new route. :shock: Glad it's gone.
  • navomatic 86 Points
    Computer, end holographic simulation.

Computer?

Computer?
  • popej 57 Points
    Glad it's gone.
    Yes, improvement for people who drive on known area.

Like myTrends is an improvement for people driving all the time the same route.

Or like removing VIAs which is redundant for people driving simple routes.

All is an indication what is real purpose of nuvi. Or maybe the way developers use it?
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    I've had several Garmin's in the past and while it could get annoying, I liked the "Re-calculating" message.

Not sure why Garmin couldn't have made a menu option to enable or disable it.

I was considering getting a 40LM, but then I read that it no longer has the message either.

Does anyone know the last reasonably priced Garmin that had "re-calculating" and a 4.3 or 5.0 screen along with lane guidance (preferably with junction view) - those are the main features I am interested in.

Thanks!!!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    The 13xx and 14xx have it, not sure about the later nuvis.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    @nuvifan

I highly doubt you will ever hear recalculating on your Nuvi 3590.
    It's been omitted in the software of the unit as in probably all newer units.
    Would have been nice if Garmin gave a choice, but they can't please everyone. I myself did like the feature since sometimes I'm not too bright and don't pay attention to directions.

For those of you who use TTSVoiceEditor to change the American Jill voice
    DO NOT download the newest Jill version 3.0 (released last week) IT DOES NOT WORK.

If you open the file with TTSVoiceEditor (v2.90) all the lines are garbled and you can't see what the commands are. Stick with 2.90. If using Webupdater don't download the new voice if you intend to modify it.
    Make sure you have a backup of v2.90 if your going to tinker.
  • On my ancient 765T, I swear that American Jill sounds more annoyed with me each time she has to say "recalculating". Sounds like she's rolling her eyes just like my wife does. :lol:
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    I actually talked to Garmin Tech Support and he confirmed that none of the 2012 models say "Recalculating". He recommended the 1350LT (which lacks junctionview) or the 1390LMT.

There are numerous Google hits that the 2450 does not say recalculating, but it is unclear about other 23xx or 24xx models.

I do have a follow-up question: On the 40LM/50LM - I know it doesn't speak "Recalculating", but does it at least display it briefly? I might be okay with that, but I would like SOME visual indication that I deviated from the suggested route.

I could also use some advice from the experts here on the various models. I'd prefer to spend under $180 - preferably well under that, and would only use it occasionally... So far, I've found:

• 40LM - $110-ish - This was likely my first choice until I read it lacks the "recalculating". Also found text input difficult for some reason and I don't have large fingers ...

• 1390LMT - $109-$130, but usually $130 for new. Really don't care about traffic, but I don't have to use that feature. Not crazy that it's as much as the 50LM.

• 50LM - $130 - Same as the 40LM in a 5-inch screen. Undecided about that. Looked good in the store, but might look huge in the car. (Also, supposedly the Arkon GN097 USB mount won't work with it b/c the 5 inch requires more current, but that seems odd.) Most likely would prefer a 4.3.

• 1450LM/LMT - $120 - Depending on the seller. Best price on one that does say Recalculating - 5-inch screen. Again, not crazy about traffic, but the LMT is actually a few $$ less.

• 2350LMT - $130 - Trends feature looks like it might be promising - again not sure if this says Recalculating or not. Might be worth looking at either way.

• 2360LMT - $175 - Trends, voice activation, not sure if says recalculating - might be worth looking into, but getting near the top of my price range.

• 2455LMT - $180 - Liked the interface and menu system. Like the exit info, but not sure I wouldn't prefer the voice activation for $20 less!!!

Somewhat leaning toward the 2350LMT, but open to suggestions!!!

Thanks!
  • popej 57 Points
    I think 23x0 does say "recalculate". You can consider nuvi 24x0 too, which is 5" and has some features more.

Nice feature of 2360 (but not 2350) is that it works in portrait mode, where you can see more map ahead.

From all models you have listed, only 23x0 has active mount, which could be a convenient feature (24x0 has it too).
  • willyboy 68 Points
    I'm not so sure the 23X0 series does recalculate, I beleiev the last series to do that was th 1xxx series. Hopefully owners of the 23X0 series can chime in and advise.

I can say this the 2460 DOES NOT say recalculate,
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    Would have been nice if Garmin gave a choice, but they can't please everyone.
    Sure they could have: Menu:Settings:Recalcuating Voice Prompt:On/Off

Just that simple.

Might be reading too much into it, but I found this:
    http://forums.travel.com/gps-garmin-forum/1306059-gps-2450lm-doesnt-say-recalculating.html

Looks like the 2450/2460 and 2370 lack the recalculating statement. Oddly, 5 pages of Amazon reviews don't mention one way or the other on the 2350/2360, but I am ASSuMEing they would use the same firmware and work the same way as the 2450/60 (just with a 4.3-inch screen).
    I do have a follow-up question: On the 40LM/50LM - I know it doesn't speak "Recalculating", but does it at least display it briefly? I might be okay with that, but I would like SOME visual indication that I deviated from the suggested route.
    Could anyone answer this? I'm probably making too big a deal of this, but anyway ...

Still not sure of which model to go with, but still leaning toward the 2350.

As I am now seeing it:

• 40/50LM - These are really pretty basic units, but much better than I am used to (which I think was a 255W).

• 1390/1450LMT - Other than recalculating spoken - basically the same as the 40/50LM except adds traffic (which is often inaccurate), but doesn't DO anything with it.

• 2350 - From reviews and from Garmin's site, looks good. I think Traffic Trends could be a useful feature. Basically has most of the functionality of the new 2455 for the price of the 50LM (in last year's model).

What is the opinion on refurbished items? I can find those for around $30 less. I've had hit-and-miss luck with computer items with it. My gut is they fixed the obvious damage/flaws and hopefully didn't miss something less obvious but about to fail. That said, I haven't seen a lot of reliability issues with Garmin - the 255W is still going strong.
    From all models you have listed, only 23x0 has active mount, which could be a convenient feature (24x0 has it too)
    I've read Rich Owen's reviews over at GPSTrackLog.

I fail to see the fascination with this. Apparently there is a sensor in the mount so when you remove the device it stores the location so you can walk around with the GPS and it will guide you back to the car. You can do that without active mount, but you have to manually tell it to store the current location. (And it's never been anything I considered using.)

Outside of that - I plan to use a cigarette lighter mount (Arkon GN097 or GN097-USB) with the GPS. Either I just pop the mount out and put the whole assembly under a seat, or I take the unit off the mount and put it in a case. With active mount, I just disconnect the GPS from the mount (leaving the ball socket connected and the power cord connected to it). Without it, I have to remove the ball socket and disconnect the wire.

Other than the ball socket being a bit hard to disconnect, unplugging the wire seems trivial.

Am I missing something???
  • sussamb 813 Points

1390/1450LMT - Other than recalculating spoken - basically the same as the 40/50LM except adds traffic (which is often inaccurate), but doesn't DO anything with it
    Not true ...

Both the 13xx and 14xx series will automatically route you around traffic if you've chosen traffic as an 'avoid'. If you haven't (I don't because I want the choice) then it'll show you where the delays are, how long and allow you then to chose to avoid should you wish.

There are other differences apart from traffic, but they may not worry you :wink:
  • t923347 432 Points
    Well it depends on what you consider trivial. IMO it's just a pain in the butt to be disconnecting the "wire" from the Nuvi every time you take it out of the mount. With the power mount I plug the 'wire' in once and never have to deal with it again.

A couple of comments about your choices:

- be very careful of Traffic Trends. It slows down route calculation so much that most of us have turned it off.

- although the 1390/1450 are good units, they are on Garmin's "previous" product list which may mean they will be discontinued in the near future. Still supported, just not manufactured any longer.
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    I'm more confused now ...

What I meant with the 1390/1450 not "using" traffic was that it lacked the Traffic Trends functionality.

But then T923347 implied Traffic Trends was not a good thing.

And Traffic Trends to me seems a lot like TomTom's IQ Routes, but I'm not sure how TomTom compares (And I realize that is like asking about a Silverado on the F-150 Forums.)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I could be be wrong but don't think the 1xxx series supports TrafficTrends
  • t923347 432 Points
    @Tiger-Heli

I think your right, Traffic Trends is similar to TomTom's IQroutes and although not a feature of the 13xx/14xx models, is available on the 2xxx devices you mentioned in an earlier post.

The problem, at least to date, with Garmin's implementation is that:

1. It never seems to get updated information. The TrafficTrends data file is included in the map updates and has been at the same version number for at least the last 3 quarterly map updates. It's hard to imagine that it's using up to date information about actual time of day traffic conditions if it's not being updated at some regular interval.

2. As I mentioned in the previous post, we have found that having the TrafficTrends feature active has significantly slowed down the calculation of routes. I find this very obvious especially when using the "prompted" route calculation feature where you can set the Nuvi to calculate and display the Faster Time, Shorter Distance and Less Fuel routes. I guess that's because if TrafficTrends is slowing down a normal route calculation it will become very obvious if it's trying to calculate 3 routes all at once.

Having had no experience with TomTom's IQroutes I can't comment on how well it works or whether users are seeing it being updated on any kind of regular basis.
  • willyboy 68 Points
    I agree with t923347 regarding traffic trends, sometimes causes more problems then it's worth, I have it disabled on my 2460.

One thing you failed to consider is internal memory size of the units.
    40/50LM has 2GB
    1390/1450LMT has 2GB
    2350 has 4GB
    2455 has 4GB

With map updates getting larger shortage of memory may pose a problem when updating maps in a simple fashion. Of couse you can always buy a SD card (they're cheap) and add map segments to them. There is plenty of information out there on how to add maps or other file to an SD card with the appropriate folders created.

Some of the units you selected don't have Lifetime Maps included, I for one would select a model that does.
  • popej 57 Points
    Looks like the 2450/2460 and 2370 lack the recalculating statement.
    I own 2340 and I'm nearly sure, that it speaks "recalculate", but difficult to verify without making a test drive ;)

All nuvis from your list can be divided in 3 generations, with similar look and feel within generation:
    old - 13xx/14xx
    previous year - 23x0, 24x0 and 37xx
    current - 24x5, 25x5, 30/40/50, 34xx, 35xx

Old nuvis speak "recalculate" and current don't. From previous year models, nuvi 37xx speaks and I assume other speak too.
    1390/1450LMT - Other than recalculating spoken - basically the same as the 40/50LM except adds traffic (which is often inaccurate), but doesn't DO anything with it.
    There are more differences, I can't guess if important to you. New nuvis probably are a bit faster and support Unicode maps (which makes a difference in my country, where City Navigator on nuvi 1xxx doesn't display names correctly). Old nuvis displays POI from City Navigator Map, on newer models Garmin messed this feature. Nuvi 14xx supports multiple points routes, which is interesting feature abandoned now by Garmin.

And to make it clear: letter T at the end of model name means, that nuvi comes with TMC receiver. Nuvis 40/50 don't support TMC receivers at all.
    That said, I haven't seen a lot of reliability issues with Garmin - the 255W is still going strong.
    I think nuvi 2x5 was designed by people who knew something about using GPS. I'm not always sure this is the case with current nuvi.
    Am I missing something???
    Your summary about active mount is correct. I would add that actually active mount doesn't use any sensor for saving last parking position, it uses electric connector, the same as for power supply. Magnetic sensors are present within passive mounts to provide this feature.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I could be be wrong but don't think the 1xxx series supports TrafficTrends
    You're not wrong :D
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    I think your right, Traffic Trends is similar to TomTom's IQroutes and although not a feature of the 13xx/14xx models, is available on the 2xxx devices you mentioned in an earlier post.
    Your reply and others helped a lot - perhaps without you even realizing it.
    1. It never seems to get updated information.
    For trends, I wouldn't see this being a huge issue. There are going to be traffic delays on Cobb Parkway and I-75 NB at 5:00 on a weekday until an alternate road is built. The map updates won't know about the new road initially, but that will take years.

Not the same problem as a car wrecks and either it hasn't been reported to the traffic unit yet, or it's already been cleared but that hasn't been reported yet.
    2. I guess that's because if TrafficTrends is slowing down a normal route calculation it will become very obvious if it's trying to calculate 3 routes all at once.
    I wasn't aware of the prompted routes option (seems like a similar feature on Navigon for Android).

The 255W didn't have it. Turns out the 1300/1400 and 40/50 lack it, but the 23xx/24xx models do.

I like the concept and with the 2xxx model, I can decide if I want traffic trends or prompted routes or both.

Without actually using it, I think I'd probably want fastest route with traffic trends over prompted routes, but ...

BTW - I was always looking at lifetime maps versions, I just got lazy and dropped the "M" off in some of the discussions. And while its a good consideration, I'm not basing a decision on internal memory. 16GB SD cards are under $20.

At least I have the series info now - I'm most like going with a 2350LMT. 2450LMT is a possibility. 2360/2460LMT is possible, but not as likely (cost). (Not sure if it says Recalculating or not, but I think it's a better choice than the other ones I was considering).

Thanks again for all the help!!!
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    At least I have the series info now - I'm most like going with a 2350LMT. 2450LMT is a possibility. 2360/2460LMT is possible, but not as likely (cost). (Not sure if it says Recalculating or not, but I think it's a better choice than the other ones I was considering).
    2350LMT - there is no 2450LMT, only 2450LM which lacks traffic.
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    Grrrrr,

I just contacted Garmin Tech Support.

The 2350LMT does NOT say "recalculating" according to them. Even worse, they said there is NO indication if you stray from the intended route. No recalculating text in the info bar, No hourglass icon. He said that if you check the info bar and list all the suggested turns, you would see that they are different after you miss a turn, but that is hardly convenient.

So now I'm trying to choose between three similarly priced units:

1390LMT - Speaks Re-calculating. Compared to the 2350LMT:
    - Adds Bluetooth. (Would be really excited about this if I could pair it with my car stereo which is BT capable and have voice prompts interrupt the music, but another post said it was just for pairing with a phone).
    - Lacks Mexico maps (only US and Canada), but I'm probably not driving to Mexico soon (ever).
    - Lacks Prompted route option where it shows the fastest, shortest, and most fuel-efficient routes and I can choose between them.
    - Lacks MyTrends - which I really don't care about.
    - Lacks TrafficTrends which sounded pretty cool to me.
    - Won't auto-sort multiple locations - which I probably would never use.
    - Has 4 hours battery life compared to 2.5 hours for the 2350LMT, but I'd probably have it plugged in all the time anyway.
    - Does not store routes and the 2350 stores 100 routes, but not sure how useful this is (or really even what it means).
    - Lacks powered-mount and Garmin Locate, both of which I don't really care about.
    - Only 2GB of internal storage, so I might need an SD card for it - not a big deal.

2350LMT: Only listing the features above that I somewhat care about:
    - Does not say "Recalculating"
    - Has TrafficTrends
    - Has Prompted Route - most likely I am going to want the fastest route, but it seems nice to see all three options and be able to choose between them.
    - Has Mexico maps - Again, I don't think I'll ever use them, but if I can get lifetime maps of another country for the same price ...
    - 4GB of internal memory.

40LM - unlikely:
    - Does not say "Recalculating"
    - Does not have traffic.
    - Does not have Garmin Lock.
    - Does not have Canada OR Mexico maps.
    - Did not like the interface when I tried it on a display model, but can't say why it worked poorly (input lag, probably).
    - Basically, I can't come up with a good reason to go with this, other than it's a 2012 model and I could get it new for the price of one of the refurbished units above.

Off-hand, I'm leaning toward the 1390LMT, but I'm open to someone telling me I'm making a terrible mistake and should go with a different model!!!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Even worse, they said there is NO indication if you stray from the intended route.
    Personally I can't see why it matters a lot as long as the correct route to your destination is being displayed on the screen and the directions are also correct.

But, if you are really particular about this kind of thing, have a look at the Montana 600. There is a menu option to turn recalc off completely, to automatically recalc or to ask what you want to do every time you deviate from the route.

And if you plan a route in Basecamp and send it to the Montana, it will be preserved exactly as created whereas the Nuvi always recalculates routes before using them
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    Boyd - Thanks but the Montana is more than I want to spend, and I want an automotive-based GPS.

You also are misunderstanding the issue (but that's not surprising). I have no problem with the unit re-calculating the route. I have a problem with the unit not TELLING me it's re-calculating the route.

I think, I'm reiterating what's been said earlier in the thread, but I've used a 255W in the past.

Sometimes I would know where I was going and purposely take a shorter path. The unit would say "Recalculating", which was a bit annoying, but ended up being expected.

The bigger issue was that sometimes the unit would say "Turn right in 300 feet". There might be a turn in 300 feet and a turn before that in 250 feet. If you take the first turn, it will say "Re-calculating" and then tell you to take a U-turn. If there is no indication that it is re-calculating, you end up wondering why the GPS told you to go 1 mile down this freeway and then exit and come back to the road you started on, when it did that b/c of YOUR mistake.

(There were also some minor annoyances where the unit would say "Continue 2.5 miles on Mulberry Street, then keep straight on Mulberry Street", but you were always on the same road, and a few times when it said "Recalculating" for no apparent reason (I seemed to be on the road it said - it still showed the same path as before it said anything), but those were minor issues to me.)
  • Tiger-Heli 0 Points
    Sorry for the flip-flops, but perhaps it will help others. After thinking it over overnight, I'm now leaning more toward the 2350LMT again. Current thoughts:

Multi-Route - I found a good video of this on a different unit here:

That is a really convenient feature. Now, I think 95% of the time, I'm going to want faster route, but this let's me quickly see and choose. With the 1390, I have to select faster route, preview it, go back into options and select shortest route, preview it, go back and select which one I want, etc.

Traffic Trends - Again, personally, I think this is a great CONCEPT. Traffic has a flaw in that recent wrecks might not be reported yet, and old wrecks might still be being reported after they are cleared. But it makes sense to me that the unit should know that traffic is ALWAYS bad on road X at 5:00 P.M. and to avoid it.

(I know there have been comments that these features DO NOT play well together, but I can turn one or both of them off, so I can always disable the one that is least useful to me.)

Junction View - From previews, I really like this feature. I've read coverage is limited, but it can only get better with map updates. The thing that bothers me is I have seen previews of the split-screen JV with the 2350 and the full-screen JV with the 1390. I like the split-screen. I ASSuME'd it was just a file update and all current units used the split-screen, but I'd be upset if the 1390 only used full-screen and split was not available.

Recalculating - I am probably making WAY too big a deal out of this - simply b/c it was something I liked on previous units. I found a conflicting review here:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R13QFOCXVMID6V/
    Current thoughts:
    - Despite what Garmin tech support said, I don't think the unit "Instantly" recalculates with no indication. I suspect there are at least a few seconds when you can say "Wait a minute, the pink line is over THERE and my blue car icon is over HERE - Ooops!!!!"
    - Even if it does recalc instantly - USUALLY it's not a huge deal. Example: I was supposed to turn left on 7th Avenue and I miss the prompt and turn left on 6th Avenue instead - so it tells me to take the next right on 5th Street and get back on 7th Avenue. Not a big deal and I might not even notice. (It's really only annoying the times the wrong turn is onto a freeway, so it routes me 5 miles to the next exit and then 5 miles back to where I started, but again, I could probably figure out that it didn't PLAN the route that way).

Finally - there is a (however slim) chance that Garmin would update the firmware on the 2350 to allow it to say re-calculating again - making it to me an almost perfect unit. There is also (IMHO) a much more likely scenario that Garmin might change the firmware for the 1390LMT with some critical update along with taking away aural indication of Recalculating (to standardize it with all their 2xx0 and 2012 models), and I would lose the one selling feature of the unit without really having any advantages to it (over the 2350LMT).

Again, thanks for any advice (or at least for reading and letting me bounce ideas off you).
  • I went ahead and ordered the 2350LMT.

Garmin phone support said it does NOT say Recalculating.

Garmin E-mail support said it does.

Here is the (conflicting) report from Garmin E-mail.

Most Garmin devices will verbally inform you that they're recalculating your route if you miss a turn or veer off the calculated route. Devices that no longer verbally indicate that they're recalculating your route are as follows:
    • nuvi 2400 series
    • nuvi 2405 series
    • nuvi 2505 series
    • nuvi 3400 series
    • nuvi 3500 series
    • LIVE 2300 series
    • nuvi 30
    • nuvi 40
    • nuvi 50
    • dezl series
    Please note that although newer devices will no longer speak the word, "Recalculating," they will still recalculate your route as needed.

Will post back when I get the unit ...
  • alanb 539 Points
    "Live 2300 series"? I have not heard of that one ... must be a non-US model. I assume this is a nuLink device?

Anyway I wonder if that is the confusion over whether it announces the "recalculating" message. Maybe the nuvi 2300 series (listed as previous model for US) announces "Recalculating", but the Live 2300 series doesn't?
  • http://garmin.blogs.com/ukpr/2011/05/garmin-introduce-the-live-nülink-2300-series-with-photolive-cameras-and-3d-traffic-.html

I'm thinking it is the above - the UK units that process traffic cam info.

OTOH, I wouldn't have thought their phone support would assume I had a UK version when I said 2350LMT, but ...
  • Got the unit.

The 2350LMT with Firmware 2.70 definitely DOES say recalculating.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, but I found two glaring errors:

Address entry - I had this problem with this on a display model Garmin as well. I'm going to try to explain it without giving away too much PI:
    * Car Repair Shop - My car repair shop in on Liberty Road in Villa Rica, but the zip code is sometimes listed at 30180 and sometimes as 30141. I put 30180 in the Garmin and it routed me about 15 miles away. If I put the actual city in, it worked fine.
    * Work address - Let's call this 186 S. Mulberry Drive SE, Atlanta Ga, 30301. (That isn't the real address, but you will get the idea). The address is complicated b/c there is also a Mulberry Parkway, and b/c you will see the address written as S. or South, with or without the SE, etc. Anyway - you put in the zip code, and Garmin takes all the info - prompts you for S. Mulberry Dr. SE, you type Enter, and then it routes you to 186 Mulberry Parkway. Turns out, it thinks the zip code is 30302 (maybe it's correct, but we haven't changed it on our letterhead). I got to work and it said I still had to drive 1.5 miles. It wouldn't have bothered me if it said no such address, but I would have had to look VERY carefully to notice it messed up.
    * Bottom line - if you enter the city name rather than the zip code unless you are POSITIVE of the zip code, it works much better, but most people won't know this.

Minor Annoyance - I was used to using Sygic, and if you change the voices, Sygic briefly says "Turn Left On Elm Street in the new voice". Garmin does not do this, so you have to select a destination, listen to the voice, change it, select a destination, listen to the voice, change it, etc.

Nice Unit otherwise, except I can comment on route selection yet since it was taking me to the wrong address!!!
  • t923347 432 Points
    IMO using Zip Codes for finding locations of places would always be the least reliable way of finding a correct location. Zip Codes can cover large areas and as you've seen can result in having more than one street with similar names or, like your Car Repair example, if there is some question about what the actual Zip Code is, result in being taken miles out of your way.

If you know the exact address of a place you want the Nuvi to route you to, I think it's always better to enter that address by either picking the City to Search In or, my favorite, Search All places within a state or province and then selecting from a list of locations that exactly match the address entered.
  • Not arguing with you, but for the average GPS user, if you have a business card the lists "XXX Street, City, State, Zip", it's probably quicker (especially if you don't text often) to enter the zip rather than start typing the city and let Garmin finish it for you.

I just didn't expect it to work as poorly in that respect, but now that I know about it, it's easy to avoid.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    You can also have places like where I live where a single zip code covers multiple towns. Thus the same zip code has two different streets named "Main St." (as well as others).
  • The 2350LMT with Firmware 2.70 definitely DOES say recalculating.

Just to clarify, the Software Version was 3.40 and says Recalculating. Garmin calls it Firmware sometimes, but the firmware usually does not update.